KipsyCakes

Let's all share our Haunted Harvest Farms!

Seeing everyone's takes on neat,over-grown and cat army farms are inspiring me! Wish this game comes back next year.

Okay, here is my final, completed farm!

I lined up all the paths so they lead a person in a circuit through the farm. The sort of central area with the gravel path is a little plaza where the Cat Family is brewing a potion and maybe or maybe not luring ghosts from the cemetery towards them. From there, head left into the corn maze. Don't get too scared by the Black Marrow scarecrow! Behind the corn maze is a dangerous swamp full of delicious glow-shrooms but also creepy eyes watching and carnivorous plants waiting. The swampy path leads into the cemetery, guarded by three ravens. The cemetery exit leads into the thriving pumpkin patch, although - some pumpkins seem to have grown faces! What the? Follow the wooden path through the pumpkin patch into the main crop farm, growing cabbage, parsnips, squashes, and guarded by a pair of scarecrows. Then its back to the cats' plaza.

937389812_Screenshot2021-11-01at09-24-10Halloween2021-DragonCave.png.dce488b4542d9039ba9541a68a3150f1.png

I only just barely managed to finish it, and wasn't at all certain my crops would all grow in time, but I just made it in!

Edited by Aniia

7 hours ago, Moonlightelf said:

Story under spoiler tag due to it being a bit lengthy :3

Reveal hidden contents

"What did I sign up myself to this time?" Young man sighed as he rode on back of a Magi dragon, being not too far away from their destination. While he had gladly taken the task from his mentor, her words of caution rang in his mind: "Take Nar'Sanara with you. Just in case. With what has been happening during previous years, one can never be too careful."

It was true that the past events around this time of the year had been quite a handful with reports from the outbreak of Undead dragons, haunted forest and discovery of lost city at the Great Desert... but he remembered more fondly the little hatchlings coming to his mentor's door for some candy or the visit at the carnival. If only he had gotten his mentor with him, but apparently she needed to attend to a meeting with a Candelabra dragon. And breaking a promise to such dragon would have rather ill consequences too. Or so he has been told.

"We are here, Damra," the Magi dragon informed, landing near the mansion and what had looked like a farm nearby, making the man snap out of his reminiscence of the past events. Immediately there was a feeling as if something was watching his every move, making Damra get down from the dragon's back to look around. Something just didn't feel right. Hastily he grabbed the notes he had been given about what had been already known about this place. A scientist had been living here with his wife and three assistants... now the question was where were they? Why was the mansion dark? As he walked down the path towards the mansion, his eyes glanced at what was supposedly the farm in the distance.

Nothing was normal in this place. Even less when Damra opened the door into the mansion, only to be greeted by a scared cat that immediately dashed into the farm. After the initial jump scare from the feline, he stepped into the mansion that soon presented itself as abandoned. His heart sunk at this thought, remembering the stories his mentor told about one very specific Haunted house. Was something similar going on here?

After spending couple hours in the abandoned mansion, Damra came back out with handful of notes. He had gotten bit of respite from the feeling of being watched, but same luxury didn't offer itself to Nar'Sanara. "Damra... I feel very uneasy about this place... I am glad that Styna had that meeting now, given that this pressure would have been too much for her by now," the Magi mused about the predicament, the man nodding under his hood as he sat down on the porch to read the notes and reports. Few reports in particular caught his eye...

Day 235

Aurax is shining especially brightly tonight as we bury my wife into the soil of the garden. It is unfortunate that the Carnivorous Plant had managed to somehow spread from the enclosure into the nearby acorn squash garden. Goodbye, my beloved Helera... I will miss you very much....

Day 281

I told my assistants to be careful when going into the enclosure, but of course Kellan had other ideas when going to harvest the Glowshrooms. I suppose the Omen wyrm passing through to another territory wasn't enough of a warning to that man. Then again, I was always the superstitious one of this entire team. Otherwise the observations and studies on the Eye Stalks and Carnivorous Plants are going well.

Day 347

I should have told Aldoe to not harvest today... the blasted tree didn't survive the storm like I had anticipated. Rest in peace, my friend. Kellan's grave had started to grow the Glowshrooms and somehow... they are more haunting than the ones in closure. I need to observe if Aldoe's grave will do the same, given the spores harvested from the mushrooms.

Day 359

With Aldoe's death, an Eye Stalk has sprouted nearby the Pumpkins. With Latho we decided to build smaller enclosure to contain the plant.

Day 434

Latho couldn't take this anymore. I will continue the experiments alone with the plants. At the very least the garden is doing well, but the pathways were too much work to maintain anymore. Oh Helera... I miss you so much...

Day 439

Where is it? I cannot find it. I know there is something else watching me. It isn't from the two closures...

Day 441

Where is it!? Where is it!? I have to find it!

But... what if it isn't a plant...? What do I do?

"...Nar'Sanara?" Damra finally spoke, making the Magi nearly jump from the fright of being addressed: "Y-yes...?"

"Lets go home. I think we are done here."

OH that is awesome! That a legit Halloween story there, I love it! 

I love how many people made up little stories about their farms/harvests and the creatures within, we have a lot of imaginative users here.

Spoiler

WBeQPU4.png

I really like all the different styles. Overgrown, over-organized, lots of decoration, all natural. The fences were a little cumbersome sometimes, but such a great event!

https://dragcave.net/halloween21/Painter

I can't decide if I like mine or not, but everything is deliberately placed. I really like cornfield vibes so I tried to put it everywhere but I don't think I did as many as I could have. It's an abandoned garden in the middle of the woods so I brought the fence in and tried to make it woodsy around it. Lots of stumps inside the garden to show that it used to be forested but the trees were cut down. The path that goes through the middle is just barely visible from being so overgrown, and the fence has fallen down in places. My favorite little detail is probably the trunk placed next to the stump, like an old tree that was cut down but got left there. I wish I could add a couple more things but I got most everything, zero'd out in coins in the last 10 minutes!

This thread is great. I love seeing everyone's farm styles. Here is mine.

spirited farm DC.png

Here's my farm!

I couldn't decide on which crops I wanted to use, so I ended up with a bit of everything. I wish the fences could've had things placed on both sides of them, and I wish things could've been placed on paths, but I'm overall pleased with the final result.

Here's my farm

I wasn't able to complete my garden because I ran out of coins. By the time I was finished I had one coin left.  The design is meant to have the front part of the garden be family friendly for pumpkin picking and running around in. The back part is for those who like something spooky fun. It's also a bit damp with questionable critters living back there.

Man, I almost feel bad about posting my farm because everyone else's are so nicely-decorated; there's some really cool stuff that people were able to create with 6 plots. In any case though, behold the Mushroom Glowshroom Kingdom. They had my favorite sprite art so I kinda just kept growing them and then decided, why not go all in? Shout-out to my girlfriend who had to listen to me describe the math that went into this.

I wanted my farm to be a bit chaotic - not quite abandoned level of chaos, but not frequently visited. The farm is gradually returning to nature, and a few more dangerous plants have sprouted during the caretaker's absence.

y7oEUae.png

1 hour ago, Atem said:

Man, I almost feel bad about posting my farm because everyone else's are so nicely-decorated; there's some really cool stuff that people were able to create with 6 plots. In any case though, behold the Mushroom Glowshroom Kingdom. They had my favorite sprite art so I kinda just kept growing them and then decided, why not go all in? Shout-out to my girlfriend who had to listen to me describe the math that went into this.

Oh. Oh that's so awesome. Glowshrooms were my favorite crop too, I just love the look of them, but I didn't realize just how awesome they'd look as a big army!

7 hours ago, Omen said:

I wanted my farm to be a bit chaotic - not quite abandoned level of chaos, but not frequently visited. The farm is gradually returning to nature, and a few more dangerous plants have sprouted during the caretaker's absence.

Wish I had thought of doing the gate like that.

20211102_051826.jpg

https://dragcave.net/halloween21/Long_Before_Sunrise

I just realized that the other farms have plant right up against the fence. I couldn't do that on mine.

37 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

I just realized that the other farms have plant right up against the fence. I couldn't do that on mine.

Not totally, though. There's always one side of the fence that's empty if you look closely.

10 hours ago, Atem said:

That's cool! :D

And I hear you on the math. It's a good thing I live alone because I'd drawn out a map with the graph lines and was doing a lot of 2x2 4x4 counting out loud as I figured out where I could put stuff (though I erred with the eyestalk in the end and it couldn't grow where I put it, so I replaced it with juvenile glowshrooms).

When I started decorating the farm on the 31st for some reason I kept thinking that we had both haunted house and farm decorations to put on the fields despite the fact that I had unlocked all the decorations 😅 

I am pretty happy with my farm, I kinda messed up calculating the growth process of the crops with all the other decors around them but I am satisfied with them regardless. My only regret is not using other paths/floorings and the regularity of the eyestalks & glowshrooms on the top of the farm. I also wish we had more animal like decorations, like the black dog, bats or pygmies but overall I think it was a fun and cute game 😊

Ekran Görüntüsü (3205).png

11 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Oh. Oh that's so awesome. Glowshrooms were my favorite crop too, I just love the look of them, but I didn't realize just how awesome they'd look as a big army!

Thank you very much! I just love fluorescent mushrooms as a concept, and these are spooky, so I was in love with their concept. I'd initially devoted about a plot before to see how it'd look, but I really ended up liking how it looked when it was just all Glowshrooms.

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

That's cool! :D

And I hear you on the math. It's a good thing I live alone because I'd drawn out a map with the graph lines and was doing a lot of 2x2 4x4 counting out loud as I figured out where I could put stuff (though I erred with the eyestalk in the end and it couldn't grow where I put it, so I replaced it with juvenile glowshrooms).

Oh yeah, I had the amount of squares per plot written down, as well as how much it'd cost per plot to fill it entirely with Glowshrooms (which thank goodness were only 1x1 so I didn't have to factor grow space, which was something that messed me up bad when I was first growing Carnivorous Plants-- though I can imagine doing something similar with graph lines if those were my plant of choice). 

I'm looking back on the messages I sent, and I calculated the project cost 612 coins.  The following message I got was something to the extent of "what's wrong with you". 🤣

57 minutes ago, WestWindReborn said:

https://dragcave.net/halloween21/WestWindReborn

second the grave stones became a decoration option my goal was to make a graveyard with a demon infested cornfield behind it. makes sense to have your garden near there lol.

Oh, I love the scarecrow hidden amongst the corn, I almost didn't see it there. Corn may fetch a pretty market price, but haunted corn? Priceless.

Edited by Atem

On 10/28/2021 at 10:24 AM, dragongrrl said:

There are some great ideas here! I love all the eyeballs! :D I've had no luck in placing the fencing but I like the way mine is currently set up:

image.png.3b9fdbcaf12695e0a6b8b5c2f08959a0.png

That was my first post, but though the week my garden grew thru several changes and ended up like this: https://dragcave.net/halloween21/dragongrrrl

So many wonderful gardens in this thread, the spooky, the kooky and a whole lot of fun!