TJ09

2021-10-25 - Halloween Event Begins!

Just now, Quinney said:

I just planted a pumpkin. No idea how to look after it (doesn't want watering) so I'm hoping I've not just wasted 10 coins. I'll be going to bed soon and I want it to be thriving when I get up tomorrow!

was it in a seed bag or under decoration?

29 minutes ago, laevsk said:

This is my first DC Halloween, so I wasn't sure how it would go. But I dutifully looked up the Halloween dragons on the Wiki, made a "cheat sheet" of all the dragons and their sayings, and then picked out my six favorites and made a separate list of those, with their sayings, so that I could easily find the ones I wanted.

Tonight I logged on to find the event had started. I went to the Halloween biome,  found eggs there, and read one I wanted. Clicking on it, I found someone had beat me to it. I read the next ones, clicked on one - but again, someone beat me to it! I refreshed, and SHOCK! All the eggs were gone.

Sighing, I turned to the other caves and wandered along those. I saw occasional eggs I might have wanted, except I needed to keep slots open for the Halloween eggs I'd chosen. Then I noticed the time, and hit the Halloween biome in time to see eggs sprinkled across the screen. Ah, there was one I wanted! I clicked it, but as before someone beat me to it.  Ditto on the next one I clicked. And then the biome was empty.

I decided I didn't like this anonymous "someone".

Fast forward an hour or so ... I'd collected up a number of treats, and was loving the farm game (especially once I stopped hovering over it, and gave it time to build up energy). But the Halloween eggs were a no-show for my scroll. Arrggghh!  Whew, I felt really frustrated.  I sat and thought about why I wasn't catching any eggs, and finally decided that reading the descriptions was a mistake.

So, when the clock ticked over to a 5, I opened the Halloween biome and started clicking wildly. My left hand was over the refresh button, my right hand was attacking the eggs! I didn't see which eggs I clicked on, just noticed if it said  "someone" had grabbed my egg, or showed that I'd actually connected with an egg.  By the time the biome ran out of eggs - counted in seconds, not minutes - I had two new Halloween eggs! Woohoo!!

And when I took a look at the eggs I'd gotten ... they were BOTH from my "favorites" list.  Double woohoo, and a BOO too!

Later on I pulled out two more, both from my fave list, and then was stuck until the eggs I had before the event hatched.  I had intended to have all six slots open going into Monday, but on Saturday I saw a Chicken egg in the caves for the first time. How could I resist? I had told myself that I could only grab gold or silver (I currently have neither), but I failed to realize the lure of that OH so tiny yellow egg!

This game is so much fun - and I have come across several incredibly kind, generous people here.  Thank you, TJ, for developing such a creative and enjoyable game - and thanks to all the others who also help to make this game what it is.  I'm lovin' it!!

Melanie

From the wilds of Alaska

I love this post, it makes me remember the 'old days' when I was newer to the game and every event was new and exciting and fresh. I see you've learned quickly that reading descriptions often means being too slow to catch anything, fast clicking and refreshing are key. The Halloween biome will calm down in the next few days though, towards the end of the event the eggs usually just sit there a lot. This really is an awesome game and I feel like we are all very lucky that it's still going strong (most of the online games I played with around the time I first started on DC don't even exist anymore). 

I have found the secret to not refreshing the game impatiently waiting for plants to grow: This is giving me really good motivation to actual name some dragons! Have over 600 unnameds at this point but I often get bored/unmotivated trying to mass-name, but knowing I want to stay on the site to check my plants but don't want to be getting impatient checking them too often has helped push me to do some naming.

Does anyone know what space corn/pumpkins require?  I know parsnips just take the one square and squashes need an extra down and right of the square they're planted on.

12 minutes ago, Ponystar17 said:

Does anyone know what space corn/pumpkins require?  I know parsnips just take the one square and squashes need an extra down and right of the square they're planted on.

I have both in my garden atm; Pumpkin looks to need the top and bottom row so far while corn only needs the one tile you plant it in.

Spoiler

image.png.7fe540e717c6472cd1b65d07c2c58e98.png

22 minutes ago, reddof-f6 said:

was it in a seed bag or under decoration?

Seed bag.

Just realised it's a decoration!  Oh well!

Edited by Quinney

Two questions:

1. Can decorations be moved, or do they have to be destroyed and re-bought? (including pumpkins, fences, etc.)

2. Is there a special trick to removing a stump that is behind another stump? I don’t want to remove the stump in front. I am only at level 9, so I don’t know if I have the right tools to remove a stump yet.

4 minutes ago, missy_ said:

Two questions:

1. Can decorations be moved, or do they have to be destroyed and re-bought? (including pumpkins, fences, etc.)

2. Is there a special trick to removing a stump that is behind another stump? I don’t want to remove the stump in front. I am only at level 9, so I don’t know if I have the right tools to remove a stump yet.

1 seems like they can only be destroyed and coins not given back.
2 no, its pretty much just careful selection.

20 minutes ago, reddof-f6 said:

1 seems like they can only be destroyed and coins not given back.
2 no, its pretty much just careful selection.

1. Thank you.
2. I can’t be any more careful; it’s impossible.   😃 I have a Apple Pencil which is very accurate and an iPad Pro, and while I can select this item with the magnifying glass, once I select the hoe tool, it will not let me select the stump behind the stump. I’ve tried selecting it at its base, and at various points of the stump but it will not remove it. It looks like a short stump with plants growing out of it, but I can’t see it since it is hidden by the larger stump that I don’t want to remove.

See screenshot:

47886EC2-8AFC-430C-9F2D-84EFEFC84BE2.thumb.jpeg.7884078b6137fbfc0ab37e0d11c7f90a.jpeg

Edited by missy_

5 minutes ago, missy_ said:

1. Thank you.
2. I can’t be any more careful; it’s impossible.   😃 I have a Apple Pencil which is very accurate and an iPad Pro, and while I can select this item with the magnifying glass, once I select the hoe tool, it will not let me select the stump behind the stump. I’ve tried selecting it at its base, and at various points of the stump but it will not remove it. It looks like a short stump with plants growing out of it, but I can’t see it since it is hidden by the larger stump that I don’t want to remove.

See screenshot:

47886EC2-8AFC-430C-9F2D-84EFEFC84BE2.thumb.jpeg.7884078b6137fbfc0ab37e0d11c7f90a.jpeg

hoe tool cant remove any stumps or rocks/ gravestones.

2 minutes ago, reddof-f6 said:

hoe tool cant remove any stumps or rocks/ gravestones.

That is what I asked in my original question: I am only at level nine and I’m not sure that I have all the tools needed to remove stumps and rocks yet.

Just now, missy_ said:

That is what I asked in my original question: I am only at level nine and I’m not sure that I have all the tools needed to remove stumps and rocks yet.

not sure when they are removeable. at lvl 10 you get a pickaxe for rocks, but not sure if they handle stumps. or you need to unlock another lvl.

1 minute ago, meowyinn said:

Uh, did I miss something in the event description? Cos I just caught a Holiday/December 2019 drop in the Forest o_O

NOT COMPLAINING, just.... surprised?

your Mirisia Amphiptere? it was released in sept.

3 minutes ago, reddof-f6 said:

not sure when they are removeable. at lvl 10 you get a pickaxe for rocks, but not sure if they handle stumps. or you need to unlock another lvl.

I just tried going at a bunch of stumps and logs with my pickaxe and it didn't do anything; either I need more energy to remove them or there's another tool to remove them.

I wish we could dig up plants and place them elsewhere. I just had to get rid of four squash cause I didn't realise they needed empty space next to them to grow

1 minute ago, Chaos Rider said:

I wish we could dig up plants and place them elsewhere. I just had to get rid of four squash cause I didn't realise they needed empty space next to them to grow

same, thankfully mine was only 1 as parsnips took the edges first. 😓

just gotta harvest the parsnips and they'll be fine then.

Does anyone know how much free space to leave for each plant so we don't make the same mistake again?

Just now, Chaos Rider said:

Does anyone know how much free space to leave for each plant so we don't make the same mistake again?

parsnips and corn only need 1 square.
pumpkins i think need 4 (2 sections heading down, kinda like the squash)

6 hours ago, orphaned said:

not sure what I am doing wrong ... have 55 energy credits  but 0 on the others

unable to plant anything but can view what is there  .....   and  ...  no badge

can someone help, please ??

can anyone help now ?

I am still stuck and can do nothing    ...   0 coins  100 energy  0  level   and still no badge

the best thing I can figure is that coins are needed

I have none however ...  is there a restart button  ??

Edited by orphaned

Can anyone assist me with the positions of these acorn squash? 

I don’t know which ones need to be removed so that the other ones can grow bigger. Not sure which spaces they need in order to grow.

I have six here, numbered. (whoops, forgot to number a very small one midscreen to the lower right.) Which ones are prevented from growing because spaces they need are being taken up by another plant or object?

413B38FA-F150-4C94-86B2-7F2D8C102AD9.thumb.jpeg.c4f5e94de07d6e03849379e9383b6456.jpeg

I get this message:

A95DF893-7737-4D44-978C-A33D319ED735.thumb.jpeg.bf0585d555b66e5c25aedac5851baed1.jpeg

Edited by missy_