Shadowdrake

All About Sickness

There seems to be some unfortunate misinformation about dragon sickness going around. In an effort to combat this, I'll compile all info I know about sickness and dealing with it.

• Sickness is solely based on dragon age vs. number of views+unique views+clicks. Things do not get sick because they get views too fast, they get sick because they get views too soon. The oldest, most low-time eggs and hatchies can be bombed with thousands of views very quickly before they even get close to being sick. 
  • An ER egg cannot die of sickness without hatching unless it is fogged (preventing it from hatching) or was already very, very sick even before it became ER. Any unfogged egg under 3 days will either hatch normally or die from running out of time, not sickness, although the hatchie can become sick afterwards.
  • If its page doesn't explicitly say "This egg/hatchling has died of sickness", then either its timer ran out or it was killed.
  • A neglected experiment is older than the average freshly-grown adult. Neglected experiments will hatch way before they even get close to getting sick.
  • Because views, unique views and clicks all contribute to sickness level, an egg or hatchie with a reasonable or even low number of views can still get sick if their unique views or clicks are very high (such as during the EATW fiasco). Unique views have a much stronger effect than an equivalent number of views, and clicks have a higher effect than both views and unique views.
  • A hatchie that died of sickness can die of sickness again after being successfully revived. It hasn't been tested if waiting before reviving might mitigate this.
  • As dragons age, they become sturdier and less likely to actually die of sickness. In other words, their view threshold for actually dying of sickness goes up higher than their threshold for getting sick.
  • Although heavy-duty eggs like zyus, prizes and guardians of nature are notorious for getting sick while ER, 1) this only happens if they're incubated and ER'd at high times, and 2) they aren't actually more susceptible to illness than regular eggs and only become sick because of the high number of views they need. Any breed would become sick if given the same amount of views at the same age.
  • Despite getting sick very easily, eggs cannot die of sickness while on catch cooldown. An egg was very vigorously viewbombed in an attempt to clear the slot, and survived the full 5 hours despite having higher views than News Thread eggs. It hasn't been tested if fresh-bred eggs have this same immunity.

And some fun facts...

• A 6d0h egg, viewbombed until s5 and warded, will die almost immediately after ward ends. An unwarded s3-s4 6d0h egg is likely to die very quickly. - This info brought to you by early force experiments.
  • Freezing a sick hatchie will retain the sickness message for a short time. Freezing a hatchie with the forced message will retain the forced blurb forever.
  • Chickens are the only eggs that need less than a normal egg (about half). If fogged until ER, they will never get sick unless someone has ridiculous viewbomb power.
  • An extremely low-time (6h-1h) sun egg test eventually hatched normally despite being placed in all available ERs. It emerged with nearly 10,000 views, yet never became sick.
  • Another sun egg test was bombed to even higher levels while ER and a hatchie, yet survived the two full weeks of its life due to its great age. 

184758665_SmartSelect_20210902-052604_SamsungInternet.jpg.eb710edb4da7c0074a8ac1712b9b85eb.jpg

Tl;Dr if you're concerned about sickness or viewbombing, your eggs and hatchies will be fine once they're mildly ER. If you want a way to avoid sickness in trade, well, ask TJ about that.

Edited by Shadowdrake

..... I don't want to sound rude here, but in trying to dispel misinformation you seem to have a lot of assumptions and misinformation yourself.  Things do not get sick because they get views too fast, they get sick because they get views too soon.   is just completely untrue. DC's on-site help section says as much:

Eggs and hatchlings can become sick when they receive too many views, unique views, and clicks in a short period of time. 

It also says: Although sickness can occur at any time, eggs are most vulnerable when first laid.

So sickness *can* occur in low-timed eggs. 

It's simply not true that the 'stubborn breeds' only get sick at ER-time if Incubated, that's just not true at all. I've had ER-timed Zyus and Prizes, taken from the AP and not Incubated, get sick while hatching.  While it might be true that they aren't specifically "more susceptible to illness" coding-wise or whatever, that's a bit misleading because most of the time they require more *stats* in general in order to hatch which *makes* them more vulnerable to sickness simply because of the higher stats needed.

33 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Things do not get sick because they get views too fast, they get sick because they get views too soon.   is just completely untrue. 

Given that the sun egg experiment was done using all available hatcheries at the lowest possible times back when EATW still existed, thus getting views at pretty much the fastest possible rate the DC playerbase could give, I doubt it. How exactly would sickness kill with that mechanic? Because a ridiculously fast rate of views only happens with extreme, active viewbombing and adding to way more view sources than the average player uses. Besides, it'd be rather counterproductive to the original purpose of posting eggs on forums if you could accidentally kill an aged egg because you posted it on too big a forum trying to get it to hatch.

Eggs and hatchlings can become sick when they receive too many views, unique views, and clicks in a short period of time. 

If you interpret this to mean "if eggs get sick too fast when given too many views", then the help page doesn't say anything about eggs getting less likely to be sick as they age (other than the small case of fresh eggs), despite this being obviously true. In my opinion, it's just poor wording about exactly what I've said.

37 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

So sickness *can* occur in low-timed eggs. 

I'll be honest, I'm not going to believe this for any non-sunrise/set unincubated eggs below 2-3 days unless either someone gets a screenshot or someone specifically testing the mechanics of sickness tells me otherwise. I've seen too many misremembered mistakes in casual play, such as assuming influence failed when they forgot or misinfluenced, or assuming an egg or hatchie died of sickness when they actually ran out of time. Why, I've even done the latter myself back when I was raising my first zyumorph.

While it might be true that they aren't specifically "more susceptible to illness" coding-wise or whatever, that's a bit misleading because most of the time they require more *stats* in general in order to hatch which *makes* them more vulnerable to sickness simply because of the higher stats needed.

You have a point here. I debated adding it last night but wondered if it would be confusing. Added now.

Just because a few experiments have been done doesn't mean things *never* happen, and that's the point I was trying to make. It's great to want to clear up confusions over sickness, but the OP is phrased in a way that makes it sound like all those things are absolute fact instead of simply what some people have seen/experienced.  I'm not arguing that getting sick at low-times is common, I'm not arguing against any of the experiments or ideas, but to act like those things are absolute facts is misleading. Unless TJ himself confirms that sickness cannot occur below 2-3 days, a handful of user experiments is simply not proof of anything. 

Functionally, once you get down to that point even if it does get sick it doesn't matter; it's going to hatch and stop being ER before or around the time it gets sick, at which point it's a high-time hatchie being sick, not an egg, and the point becomes moot. Playing as if low-time eggs can get sick and being cautious over ERing them is a waste of concern in my opinion. If several thousands of views in minutes doesn't make something low-time sick (as seen by many instances of ARing) then it's an extreme edge case and much less of a concern than gradually gaining large amounts of views over time.

As a dragon myself, I can confirm this is how sickness goes. Just wait for us to mature in our eggshells before all of you rapidly blink at us in our egg forms >.>

Jokes aside, I don't think we could always rely on TJ or the staff to give the facts on things. While still in the unknown or without confirmation, at least there are several players determined to put effort in finding out what's true and what's not, and I appreciate all their work for that (even though all of that can be easily confirmed/disproved with one post or statement from the site coder). If this thread is misleading, then people may as well report their findings here to uncover more of what's actually true. And if someone doesn't believe this is true or only believes what TJ says and everything else is speculation, it's also a valid opinion! Info has been presented and shared, and this one even has evidence to back it up.

But also, like Marie said, if people aren't convinced, then we need to find people who'd volunteer to gather more evidence and key observations so that these statements are based on a sufficiently large number of data.

Edit: I guess what I meant to say is, we may accept this as fact for now. Just like science facts, not all facts are facts. There may be a new fact that disproved previous facts. People used to believe the fact that the Sun revolves around the Earth, now we consider the Earth revolving around the Sun as fact. Both are visually similar: we see the sun rise and set, and seasons change, etc.

Edited by BlueLatios