missy_

Pyropellis Wyvern Breeding

Hey folks, :)

Welcome to the "let's figure out why TJ has all those (7 :iraptor: to be exact) Volcano (insert unknown new breed here) Pyropellis hatchies" thread! 

Everyone, please kindly feel free to share your:

* Experiments

* BSAs and in what order you applied them

* Breeding attempts (See spreadsheets for more info)

Edit spreadsheet below:

Edit Pyropellis spreadsheet

View spreadsheet here:

View Pyropellis spreadsheet

Alternate spreadsheet below:

View alternate spreadsheet

* Timed hatchings such as lowtime, etc.

* Theories 

* Anything else I forgot alot

here! 

Let's sleuth together, and figure out the mysteries behind this breed! ;)

(This thread is not for discussion or debate over BSA mechanics; those comments can be either in the new release thread, once it opens again, or in the Suggestions/Request forum.)

Let's figure out what we've got with these new eggies! B) Have fun! :nyan: 

Edited by missy_
Added links to spreadsheet

My guess is either

Time based on stolen/hatched like gemshards and siyats.

Bsa action which we won't see until we have adults 

Breeding alt either random or by specific dragon like coppers.

Or maybe even genderless oooo

Thanks for making this thread missy!

I do admit Im terrible at keeping track of what I have done. That said, regarding BSAs done on my hatchies:

Influence

Influenced all

Sadly I wasnt paying attention regarding egg positions

Incubate
Incubated 2

Left 2

I dont think I noticed change between inc vs left alone. 

Earthquake

EQ’d the lot, 3/4 survived, 2 hatched

Order seems unchanged by EQ (my normally hatched egg sorts inbetween my forced hatches).

Precognition

Precog’d a forced hatch, no change in order

I have no leads regarding timing… I may wait for TJs to age before getting any ideas. 

So far, I have four of the new Volcano eggs (with giant holes in them! Methinks I got ahead of myself, since we don't know yet about these!).

I have influenced all four as male/female pairs.

I'm now debating whether to:

* Leave one pair alone, just influenced and nothing else

* Possibly incubate the other pair (it would also free me up to get more eggies)

* Possibly precog or ward one of the ones I plan to incubate, after incubating (maybe the last BSA is the one that will have the effect, similar to Cantors?)

I'm not trying Earthquake, since August has 31 days and I plan to use all 5 kill slots in zombie making attempts! :shades:

Someone mentioned that they thought the seventh hatchie was for TJ to freeze, but I don't recall him doing this before? (Maybe he has? I can't recall)

yay! i was hoping someone would post this thread. thank you missy!

so we have 7 sprites. we know TJ keeps one of each gender if they have different sprites, so we can *maybe* assume he'll keep either:

- 1f and 1m mature sprites, leaving 5 adults. seems unrealistic if the sprites don't have dimorphism, since he usually only keeps 1.

- 1 mature sprite of any gender, leaving 6 adults, possibly 3 alts with a male and female variant.

- 1 mature sprite of any gender, leaving 6 alternate adults without dimorphism.

here's my two cents on the matter:

- 3 alts with gender dimorphism makes sense if they follow siyat rules (3 different time slots to hatch in or grow up during)

- 6 adults with no dimorphism makes sense if following gemshard mechanics (if hatched or laid or matured on a certain day of the week)

- the fact that hatchlings don't show the coloring make me think this mechanic will be something influence-able, rather than random, since other random colorations (undine, nebula, ridgewing, etc) are visible before maturity to facilitate trading.

4 of my eggs were influenced and 3 hatched with incubate. i think i'm gonna leave the last two to get low on time just to see if that does anything.

my current theory is they're reverse-siats and the adult sprite depends on how many days before death on the hatchling's clock when it grows up. i don't think we've had a mechanic like that before and it would be a cool way of correlating older hatchling=colder adult flame, younger hatchling=hotter adult flame, if the sprites are color-coded based on their fire. or something to that effect!

Edited by steeve

I used Earthquake when I just had two Volcano eggs and one of the Alpine/Desert eggs (and also a misclicked Hydrophidious I forgot about, RIPieces to that egg) -- the Volcanoes were unaffected, but the Desert ridged egg hatched and is Skittish, compared to my 3 other Alpine/Desert hatchlings (two from the Alpine and one from the Coast) who all hatched snuggly.

Data!

Since it looks like a majority of the breeds will likely not effect the color of the Pyropellis' flames, that will make breeding plans with alt flames a lot easier.

I can forsee lineage plans where each Pyro goes through 2 mates (one to change the flames and the other to get the offspring for the desired lineage). This will mean those plans take longer to complete but also gives you a lot more possibilities.

Example:

- Breed Orange Pyro x Water = Bald Pyro

- Then, breed Bald Pyro x Spotted Greenwing = offspring for lineage (and your Bald Pyro parent is still bald)

What happens when two recolored (so anything except the orange) Pyrops are bred together? (color A x color A, color A x color B, color A x bald, bald x bald) 

23 hours ago, fergalicious214 said:

Do we know yet if the color change is permanent?  Or does it go back to orange after the breeding cool down?

Color stays until the next breeding that would change the color.

For example:

Orange Pyropellis x Copper = Pyropellis turns Green 

(Now) Green Pyropellis x Brimstone = Pyropellis turns Blue

(Now) Blue Pyropellis x Falconiform = Pyropellis stays blue*

*as both Falconiform and Brimstone produce blue flame Pyropellis

23 hours ago, Meh said:

What happens when two recolored (so anything except the orange) Pyrops are bred together? (color A x color A, color A x color B, color A x bald, bald x bald) 

I don't think anyone has tried this yet. Outcomes I think COULD happen are:

Had a single pair of different color Pyropellis...

Pyropellis keep their colors (so Orange Male x Purple Female = Male stays orange, female stays purple)

The egg the pair produced showing both parents with their colors

https://dragcave.net/lineage/sHZ1Y

Different egg showing the original breeding of the Green parent:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/Ttj8u

Pyropellis swap colors (so Blue Male x Purple Female = Male turns purple, female turns Blue)

STILL UNTESTED

In the case of Bald x Color = Bald takes on color of mate (Bald Male x Purple female = Purple male, purple female)

Bald x Bald = probably both stay bald

Edited by ShorahNagi
New data added

47 minutes ago, fergalicious214 said:

Do we know yet if the color change is permanent?  Or does it go back to orange after the breeding cool down?

Color change is not permanent; from what Shadowdrake found:

Second-round pyro breeder here. They can change on each breed and it's pretty straightforward. Results I've had;

• green pyro + blue fire mate = change to blue fire
  • colored pyro + orange fire mate = change to orange fire
  • bald pyro + fire-less mate = no change

It seems that if a Pyro is bred with one of the flame-oriented dragons, it'll change to that color; otherwise it appears to retain its appearance (when paired with flameless dragons).

No problem~ 

Now that we know they aren't permanent, I feel more secure in putting my dragons in the running to help testing; I have two purples I'm intending on trying out when they get off of cooldown in about two days (I'm thinking Amarignis and Cloudplume for partners since I think they would look nice with purple flames) to see if they stay purple from their first round of breeding with Omen Wyrms or if they switch to orange. I'll see about posting results once I have something~

@Magellan was trying to find this thread to post some results, so I'll post it for them!

3 hours ago, Magellan said:

Since I got lost trying to find any unclosed thread where we can post results for the flames and colors, let me just send you a screenshot. Hope this helps.
The line starts at the parent and points to the child. Flame colors definitely don't carry over.

Please note: I set the page to delete this pic after a month, so just in case you wanna save a copy, feel free to do so :) Kind regards, Mag
Pyropellis-Colors.jpg

It looks like offspring are unaffected unfortunately, so you can only get colors by alternating breeding partners...

@Shokomon Thanks again for pointing me here! Sincerely, I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier today.

I'll keep an eye out for reverting flame colors :) Feel free all to check my scroll in 2 days for the blue and green results in case they decided to turn back to orange
Ah, that is already off the table. Good to know!

10 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

I don't think anyone has tried this yet. Outcomes I think COULD happen are:

Pyropellis keep their colors (so Orange Male x Purple Female = Male stays orange, female stays purple)

Pyropellis swap colors (so Blue Male x Purple Female = Male turns purple, female turns Blue)

In the case of Bald x Color = Bald takes on color of mate (Bald Male x Purple female = Purple male, purple female)

Bald x Bald = probably both stay bald

We have similar theories that pretty much go down to allowing Purebred Pyrop lines (e.g. all green) somehow (e.g. two greens staying green because they are green, green x purple one staying and the other changing to the partner's color, random or gender dependent) but need actual confirmation while being unable to test by ourselves yet. 
Semi pure lines with varying colors could also look interesting but there's no confirmation if it's doable at all until someone breeds recolored Pyrop to another recolored Pyrop.

Unconfirmed theories don't help anymore:P

1 minute ago, Diame said:

How are people getting CB's of the other colors?

You must breed your dragon to specific breeds, e.g. Magi for a green flame. Then your CB will change colour - right after breeding.

3 minutes ago, Diame said:

Yes - the CB parent changes color after being beed to specific dragons.

The description of the adult Pyropellis says:

"Fire-breathing dragons may supply their mates with flames. It is not uncommon to find a Pyropellis sporting flames unique to other species of dragons, having made contact with those flames."

Yup, their mates changed their flame colours for them.  Pyropellis Dragons are a bit like Luminas in that respect, which also change their appearance after breeding with some dragons.

Edited by Fly-by-Night