AroaraAngelwolf

The Cursed

((okay. I figured that was the case, but Alivia was just too tired to give it much thought. I'll have her file away the info to look into a bit more later))

As Alivia slept, she thought back to the lullaby that he had sung to help her get some sleep. When her mind brought the words to her, she thought that there might be a clue in there somewhere to break the curse with so she filed that info away in her head to look at later in her study when they got back and also when she was fully recovered. In the meantime, she enjoyed being held close to him as she continued to sleep for a bit longer while her body recovered from the poison.

She stirred a bit while letting out a small "Mm" shortly after feeling him move a strand of hair out of her face and readjust the blanket that was wrapped around her, her eyes opening just the slightest bit afterward. What woke her completely, though was her stomach growling which caused her cheeks to flush a rose color. "Hmm I guess my body's recovered enough to be hungry," she said softly while a bit embarrassed before rubbing her eyes some in order to wake up even more. "Are the black veins from the poison gone from my shoulder yet?"

Edited by SkySong278

"I need to check your bandages to make sure. Solid foods would upset your stomach now. I had them stop briefly to make a soup for you... Here it should be cool enough now." Quadir said holding a cup of warm mushroom and cheese soup to her lips.  He helped her drink it slowly and handed her a handkerchief to wipe her face with. "We'll be going all night and all day to get back home. Only breif stops to go to the bathroom or make a hot meal. It's nearly night and Carlos our driver and Donna would be in here to sleep while I drive tonight.  May I check your wound?" He asked getting new wrappings ready. 

"Alright, and oh. Thank you," Alivia said in reply to his first few statements before she felt a bowl being held against her lips. She put her fingers on the inside of it to help hold it steady as she drank it, liking the flavors that were infused in it a lot and savoring them as the warm liquid went down her throat. After she was done drinking it, she took the handkerchief with a nod of thanks before wiping her mouth with it and then listening to everything else he said afterward along with the question he asked at the end regarding her bandages. "Okay, and alright. I'll have other company while you take over as the driver and yes you may," she said in reply before sitting up from leaning on him and putting her back towards him like he had done earlier when he had first treated her wound.

Edited by SkySong278

He nodded and undid her dress to unwrap the wound then fixed the blanket so it covers her modestly when he looks at her shoulder in the front. "It's still bleeding a little, and the vanes have dulled to a grey, with swelling around the puncture wound. I'd say it'll be another day and a half before I'm certain the poison is out of your system. " He rewrapped the wound and fixed her dress once more. "I'll feel better if we get back into the area of the Deity's influence. He can purify poison in a body. Come to think of it.. that's probably why my family is immune to most poisons... Our blood is tied to the deity." He muttered. 

She held the blanket in place after he fixed it modestly, listening to his diagnosis shortly afterward. "Okay. I shouldn't lay down until it's completely out of my system, though right?" she said and asked in reply before she felt him rewrap her wound and then fix her dress so that it was covering everything again. "Alright and that's interesting," she said in reply before putting the blanket back over her shoulders once more. "Would it be okay if I kept you company as you drove or would I be too much of a distraction if I did that and you'd rather I stay in this area of the carriage instead?"

"Yes that is correct." He answered her first question.  "You may if you want, but bundle up, it gets colder at night and I'd like you to wear my chest plate just in case we run into someone else on the road. " He said moving to the other side of the carriage so she can have more room without him there. 

---

When night fell he got out and had Donna go inside to help Alivia out of the dress and into something more comfortable and warmer as he and Carlos fed and watered the horses and made a chicken broth with chives and mushrooms. He took a cup that was insulated and enchanted to keep the contents warm or cool. He got into the driver's seat and got ready as Donna let Carlos know the lady was changed and it was okay to come inside. 

“Okay,” she said in reply to both of his statements and then pouted a bit when she noticed him move over to the other side of the carriage to give her more room. It didn’t last long, though and she got comfortable with the blanket wrapped a bit more around her.

When nighttime came, she got dressed into something warmer with Donna’s help while Quadir and Carlos were outside and taking care of the horses. Once she was dressed and Donna had told Carlos that he could come back in, she went outside with the blanket wrapped around her again and got up next to Quadir on the bench behind the horses. 

Quadir smiled softly, although she couldn't see it due to the mask. He wrapped them both in a thick Bearion fur, a demonic bear creature five times the size of the average grizzly and had twice the temperament.  Once certain she was warm he clicked his tongue and shook the lead and the horses started to go. "The air is chilly around here. We're following a river so it gets cold even in the summer time. So, I'd like to know what mum wrote you on that note, and what was in that book? Mother never let me see it, I knew they were drawings but I didn't know of what. Unless that's a secret... If it is then don't mind the question.  Now I'll let you know another family secret since you know the poison thing. We have higher senses then a man does. Eyes are one thing, that is a blessing, but over the years apparently we have evolved I guess you can say. Because my forefathers and I are blessed with strength, stamina and eyesight the other senses seemed to catch up too. I can also tell when the poison is out of your system when you don't have the bitter smell of decay around you. "

A pause happened before he spoke again. "I thought a lot about what happened and I've come to this conclusion: I believe the three where in on it. It takes quite a bit to get me down, so I believe the assassin would hit me with the dart making me dizzy and disoriented, Evens and Gunther would capture the assassin as the Prince looks for the 'antidote'. Using the first vile he spots, he'd hand it to me to drink. Then I'll head back home where I would die as the poison makes me bleed. By then it will be far too late for the real antidote and he'd write it off as a hunting gone wrong. " He said softly. "However, thanks to you, you foiled his plan, I found the real antidote and still have it with me. Clever having it hidden in his mouth on a wire. One wrong move from me and he would have swallowed it. " His voice turned dark. "However if that happened I would have gutted him right there if it meant you would be alive." 

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Alivia got warmer under the Bearion blanket he put over her shoulders and rested her head on his shoulder afterward. She then listened to everything he said after he had the horses start leading the carriage again back towards home, her face paling a bit when she heard the questions and statements he asked and said regarding the letter and journal his mom left for her. She was going to say something, but then heard what he said shortly afterward about her not having to answer which caused her to let out a small sigh of relief. She then listened to the rest of what he said afterward, listening with fascination to everything else his family had if not just for being immune to many poisons and venoms. She then blushed a bit when she heard what she currently smelled like with the poison in her body and straightened a bit so she wasn’t leaning against him. “Oh then maybe I shouldn’t be that close to you until it’s completely out of my system,” she said a bit shyly.

She then heard the rest of what he said regarding what he thought who had been behind the trap at the ball. “That makes sense. I figured Evens might have had a hand in it. He’s been trying to get rid of me from the start and your conclusion makes me think that it’s true. I saw that his face was pale after the antidote took effect and I had looked over at the three of them. I bet he was hoping I’d take it for you and die that way. Oh and I probably would’ve been devastated if that had happened. I’m glad that I did foil his plan and that you also still have the antidote. It’s a good thing, then that you got it out of his mouth as quickly as you did so that he wouldn’t accidentally swallow it. I am alive thanks to your quick reflexes my love,” she said in reply before putting a comforting hand on his arm.

Edited by SkySong278

"No-" he said quickly as she sat up a bit. "I don't mind.. ..." He said softly his ears turning pink. "You usually smell like lemon and citrus, with a touch of camomile and peppermint..." He said shyly. "It's calming, and usually the incense I burn in my fireplace after a day of constantly on my feet and weary of everything around me. " He said gently laying a hand on her hip and scooted her closer to him. "After a day like today I need that smell, keeps me from getting enraged and turning around to skin those men, nobles or Prince be damned." He growled squeezing the reins and took a deep breath before continuing on with their conversation.

"Evens may have thought that. Although my experience with the man says his brain is below his belt.  'Tis his arms that do the work for him rather than that little bean rattling around in that empty skull of his. If that did happen, without an heir to my castle and a widower, he'd have to compensate me considering that his blood oath was broken by his own hand in the tardiness he took in sending you. He's seen me enraged before when the Captain before Mary was killed in battle, who also was my father's closest friend and like an uncle to me. It was in that fit of animalistic rage that I inevitably saved Evens.  So, it can be either way. Wanting you to die, or knowing the outcome if you had. " He tilted his head to glance down at her and still able to see the dark road ahead. "Yes, that is true. I guess it is a good thing that I'm a Monstrous human being. With reflexes and senses like mine, none would want me as an enemy and those who dare to do harm to those I care about will end up receiving my ire." He said thoughtfully as though hardly gave it a thought before. 

"It still amazes me how you can look at me without being frightened. Sometimes the servants have a hard time looking at my face with the mask on, I just imagine how much worse it would be with it off.  You're the only person alive that has seen my face. Mother and Father had, but they are no longer alive. " He mused out loud. 

“Okay and oh,” she said shyly in reply when she heard what he said in regards to what she usually smelled like to him. “I’m glad that it can help you calm down enough that you don’t do that,” she said while feeling him gently pulling her back against him before hearing everything else he said afterward.

“Oh and I guess he’d know that he’d be in trouble if I had died from the poison or if he tried to get rid of me another way instead,” she said in reply thoughtfully. “Yes, it’s a very good thing and they’ll have to avoid causing anymore harm to either me or anyone else you care about.” These last few statements she said were said in reply to the last few things he said regarding people he cared about while resting her head on his shoulder again.

“Um maybe it’s because I just see the good in everyone even if they don’t feel the same way about themselves. Maybe your mask just makes them a bit uneasy and I’m glad to be the only other person than your parents to see your face,” she said shyly in reply to the very last things he said about her not being afraid of him. It was the only mostly true and comfortable thing that she could think of to say for the reason why she wasn’t afraid of him with his mask off.

Edited by SkySong278

"The mask is ment to hide my face and intimidate more intelligent monsters. That can't be helped I guess, however that's a very good quality to have. We need a optimistic person inside the castle. " He said as he maneuvered the carriage around a fallen tree and glared at the forest around them. A few darker shadows hid in the trees and didn't dare attack the carriage.  "It's good being scary when it comes to traveling at night like this. Vagabonds and bandits are known to ambush along these roads so fewer and fewer people take the chance to go through here. However in this case, I'd like to get you home and safe. The fastest way are the unsafest routs. How I have had too many encounters with such people, word has spread among the lowlifes that my crest is one to fear and ignore." He is louder to the few at the edge of the woods. 

It was a new moon, so all was dark save for the lantern on the carriage and the starlight above, however he can still see the group of ten men on either side, and they too slunk back to the bushes when they saw the red glass flash and the Crest on the carriage. 

After they passed the woods and was in a vast empty field of alfalfa he seemed to let up in the raines and eases into a steady walking pace. "Part of the reason why I decided to take the entire night shift so I can prevent a ambush. The other reason is because of my good eyesight I can see potholes in the road at low light like this. " He said as he swerved to the left to avoid a hole several feet in front of them.  "I suppose you can see that as well... Would you like to trade off after you sleep a bit? I'll sing to you again." 

“Oh and thanks. I try to be as optimistic as I can,” she said before he maneuvered the carriage around a fallen tree that was in their path. She then also looked around at the surrounding trees, seeing the smaller shadows in-between them and then moving slightly closer to Quadir afterward. “Ah and I bet it can come in handy. Good to know that they won’t attack us due to your crest being on the side of it. I was worried that they would attack it anyway.”

She watched as the other men on the other side of them shrank back as well, not just at his words but also when they saw the red glass in his mask flash and the crest in the lantern light and also in the dark.

When they passed through the woods, she seemed to relax a bit more as she listened to the rest of what he said. “Oh okay that makes sense,” she said in reply to what he said in explanation to why he took the night shift just before he went around a hole in the road. “I can and, um, sure. There won’t be any bandits in this stretch, right? You can if you’d like to, but I think I’ll be asleep in a few seconds or so due to me being really comfortable.” Shortly after she said what she did, her eyes closed, and she was asleep on his shoulder.

Edited by SkySong278

"No, no bandits here.." he said softly and started to hum the lullaby again. While she slept he sipped the soup content with her sleeping on his shoulder. 

He woke her up in the early hours of dawn having parked by a river to let the horses drink. He had somehow slipped out from beside her and was holding up a bacon and egg on toast on a plate near her. He even set a mug of hot cocoa near her. "Breakfast darling. Then I'll get Carlos up. " He said softly. Once he got up the two servants and gave them a breakfast he crawled into the carriage and slumped in a corner, exhausted from lack of sleep the last couple nights.  He fell asleep with his cloak pulled over his head and his mask on the bench beside him.

He stayed like that until dinner and once more took the driver's seat at dark.

----four days later---

After two days she no longer smelled like poison. Early morning he gently stroked her check to wake her up. "Hey, we just passed the ravine. We're five minutes away from the gates. I don't want you to be sleeping with those Pandasantias still in the walls of my city. We'll hunt them together today after a hearty meal. Maybe while out on patrol I can show you where I set up the cat houses and feeding areas for the strays. " He murmurs softly kneeling on the floor so he was eye to eye with her as she lay on the bench. 

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

She slept peacefully while listening to him hum the lullaby that he had sung a couple of hours of so ago, content on sleeping on his shoulder even when he was done humming.

She opened her eyes after he woke her up during the early morning hours of dawn, seeing that they were parked near a river and that the horses were drinking. She found that she was now propped up against the back of the carriage and that the Bearion blanket was wrapped a bit more around her. She freed her hands from the blanket to take the plate he offered her that had bacon strips, and an egg on a piece of toast. She nodded in both reply and thanks to what he said and then started to eat the toast until it was gone, drinking the hot cocoa in-between sips. After Carlos and Donna were woken up, she also went back into the carriage with the plate and cup, placing them beside her on the bench before falling asleep again with her head resting on the wall behind her.

Two days later, she was told that she no longer smelled like poison and she was relieved to hear that. She was laying down on the bench with the blanket over her when she woke up to the feeling of her cheek being stroked. She blearily opened her eyes to see Quadir kneeling in front of her, listening to everything that he said after he had woken her up. "Hey. That's good news and oh, right. I forgot about those pesky creatures. Okay. I'd really enjoy that because then I can meet your cat friends," she said in reply with a small tired smile while rubbing the sleep free of her eyes and then also stroking one of his cheeks as well afterward.

Edited by SkySong278

He smiled brightly. "I'll bring some cat nip with me too, got to refill the toys they have. They love to play and snuggle." He said cheerfully and sat back down in his seat. "I want to get rid of those monsters quickly, knowing that they nearly got us both that time before we headed out to the ball, and what happened with you there, I'm certain they will use that to twist our nightmares to even darker dreams, despite our necklaces. We'll need to retrieve them to go hunting though.  Hopefully they didn't attack any cats. " He said and put on his mask to open the curtains to see the people and wave to them as they went past the drawbridge and gate.

"Aw. I can't wait to snuggle with them and maybe we can bring one back to the castle with us as a pet," she said with her own bright smile before he sat back down across from her on the other bench (guessing that's where he was before he woke her up or if he was and is sitting next to her, I'll edit). "That's a good idea and that was a scary experience. It wouldn't be good if they made our dreams worse because of both of those events. Okay and I agree that hopefully they didn't," she said in reply to the rest of what he said before sitting up and then also waving to the people as they passed both the drawbridge and gate.

He chuckled. "I've tried that many times, but they all seemed more happy on the streets and able to hunt mice around the farm houses.  They love to come and go as they please, that's why I wanted a kitten, a kitten would get used to being indoors faster then a session hardened alley cat. " He said softly. He watched as a group of children played by a toyshop. Then he looked and saw an older couple helping each other down the road. It was then he knocked on the top of the carriage and pulled down the window. "Mr and Mrs. Horus?  Are you two heading up hill? The path ahead got flooded a couple weeks ago and with the cold snap it's just been patched with ice. If you're heading to the market, we'll pass through there and drop you off. I'll send someone to pick you two up later. " He said and opened the door to the couple.

The two who where shivering looked very grateful and shuffles over to the carriage and let Quadir help them inside. Quadir moved over to be next to his wife and told Carlos to stop at the market before heading home. "Thank you my Lord! I'll repay you for your generosity!" The husband said bowing in his seat. "Nonsense! After Mrs. Horus broke her ankle trying to help down ol' Grey I've been worried that you both might get hurt trying to help the strays. Ol' Grey is a twelve year old cat and is gotten into many scraps with the local dogs. He was stuck up on their house wall and Mrs. Horus slipped off her ladder and landed on her foot wrong once she got him unstuck. You'll know Grey when you see him. " He explained to his wife. "Oh! Where are my manners! Mr. and Mrs. Horus this is my wife Lady Alivia Maelstrom. Alivia this is Bob and Jane Horus. They make scratching posts and cat toys for the strays. Bob used to be a veterinarian and took up woodworking in retirement. Now he makes sure the cats are healthy. " He then turned to Bob. "I'm taking her to see the feeding areas today. " He said proudly. 

“Oh then maybe there’s a young kitten there that might want to come home with us,” she said in reply before looking out the window as well at the kids and then also at the older couple walking along the road. She then got a bit curious when Quadir knocked on the roof of the inside of the carriage, but then that faded to be replaced by understanding when she heard what he called out to them as an offer of a ride to where they were going. She smiled kindly at them after he helped them in and before the carriage started to move again. She listened to their conversation with curiosity and nodded in understanding to who ‘Ol Grey was.

“It’s very nice to meet you both,” she said in reply still with the smile on her face after he had introduced them to her and vice versa. “He’s told me so much about those cats that I’d like to meet them for myself. I could probably see myself playing with them hours on end when I have some free time,” she added excitedly a few minutes or so later.

Edited by SkySong278

"If my Lord had his way, he would too." Chuckled Mrs. Horus.  "Honey he's still our Lord, don't speak so cannily about him." Mr. Horus whispered.  "It's fine Mr. Horus. Your wife is right on that.  Now here we are..." He said softly and opened the door and getting out and helped the elders out carefully setting them on their feet. He helped out Mr. Horus first then lifted Mrs. Horus out. "Dear me! I haven't been picked up since my wedding day!" The elderly woman blushed and giggled when the Lord Maelstrom 'kissed' her hand with his mask. "Mother told me to treat every woman like a queen, young or wise." He bowed to them and bid them a good day before getting back inside and sitting next to Alivia the rest of the way to the castle. 

"They are nice people, and I've lost count of the animals I took to Mr. Horus before he taught me everything I needed to know to take care of the animals I took in." He said with a chuckle. "Ah, I need to get you a silver blade as well. I think I have my old one in storage somewhere in the castle. It's made for me when I was five so it should be light enough for you and a good size too." 

Alivia giggled a bit as well when she heard what Mrs. Horus said about Quadir doing the same thing if he could before hearing the rest of the conversation that followed. She then watched as her love helped Bob out first and then Jane soon after while carrying her out which she thought was really sweet of him. She nodded a bit to herself when she heard what he said to the nice elderly lady, knowing it was true since he had said the same thing to her before waving to them from the window when the carriage started to move again when he had gotten in again and they headed back to the castle.

"They are indeed and ah. I bet he helped you a lot since he was a vet," she said in reply with a smile before hearing the last couple of things or so that he said regarding the silver blade. "Okay and I also have my daggers. Not sure if they're the silver that they need to be for killing a Pandasantia, but maybe you can check them over and that could be a good backup plan if you can't find the one you used when you were five years old."

Edited by SkySong278

"Ah! That's right you said you always have it on you. Can I see it now?" He said holding out his gloved hand. "Oh, show me at breakfast, I'll get the necklaces and the sword and meet you there. " He said as he got out when they arrived and helped her out of the carriage. He rushed inside past Flo who had came out to greet them. 

"Morning my Lord, you are back so ear- " she turned as he rushed past him. "Ah! My Lady, how was the ball? I see the Lord was impatient to get home. Did everything go smoothly?" She asked leading the Lady to the dinning hall where breakfast was served. 

"Oh, right. I nearly forgot that I had said that. Good memory and of course," she said in reply to his statements and question before reaching down to start getting one from under her pants leg to put in his waiting offered hand before hearing the rest of what he said and also right before they arrived back at the castle. She nodded in reply to the other statements he said and then got out with his help, nodding in thanks to him this time and then smiling at the waiting Flo who had come out to greet them while looking curious as to why Quadir rushed past her without saying anything.

Then she shrugged as she focused her attention on Flo's greeting, the statements she said and questions she asked afterward. "Hi Flo and it was okay. It was a bit too extravagant for my tastes. He wasn't exactly impatient to get back and not really," she said in reply to everything in order while being led to the dining hall where breakfast was laid out for them. She told her what had happened while they were there with her getting poisoned instead of Quadir and that was why they had come back so early, but also not to tell anyone else since she didn't want everyone to worry before sitting down in one of the chairs around the table.

Edited by SkySong278

Flo was shocked. "They, oh dear no wonder he took a dangerous road home, I'm so glad you are safe and he is safe as well.  Ah, I'll inform you that the preparation for the bait has been completed, and doled out into water bladders and the soldiers are outfitted with silver blades and the charms made by their mothers, wives and lady friends. " She informed Alivia as Quadir store back inside with a small short sword and their necklaces, his was already on around his neck. He handed her hers. "Tuck it in your shirt so they can't see it. They won't approach of they do. " He took her dagger and clicked his tongue. "It's silver but mixed with iron for cheepness. A good one but we need pure silver for the Pandasantias. " He said handing it back to her. 

"Mhm and me, too. That's very good to hear and I'll let Quadir know that all of that has been taken care of. We're going to start hunting them after we've eaten our breakfast," Alivia said in reply to everything Flo said before Quadir came back in with a small short sword and their necklaces as well. She saw that he already had his adorned around his neck before taking hers that he offered her with a nod of thanks, putting it on as he said she should do shortly afterward. She then took one of her daggers out from their hidden sheathes on her legs under her pants, giving it to him and then listening to everything he said about it shortly after. "Alright and that's good to know about my dagger. I thought it had been all silver but guess I was wrong and that I'll be using your old one after all or another one if you can't find it," she said in reply before starting to eat the food in front of her. After she swallowed a few bites, she told him that Flo had made sure all the preparations had been taken care of for the Pandasantias, such as the bait and that all of the soldiers were wearing dreamcatcher necklaces made by their mothers and lady friends.

Edited by SkySong278