Jump to content
Elizabeth Moonstone

Make dead eggshells disappear faster (one week?)

Recommended Posts

I was really surprised to learn this morning that dead egg shells stay on your scroll for two weeks. I understand this is meant to discourage people killing eggs but:

- several desirable breeds (green Cantos, Vampire) requires a player to risk killing an egg to obtain them so it’s not as if we are killing eggs for the fun of it

- a dead egg takes up a slot of your scroll for 24h, which also discourages killing eggs (iif you try to force an early hatching and fail, you can’t immediately grab a new egg)

Overall, I think a shorter time period (maybe 1 week?) before eggshells disappear would be fairer.

Share this post


Link to post

First, let me say I'm not against this suggestion. I would be against letting them disappear immediately, but shortening it to 1 week seems fine. 

 

However, I'm curious how this would work in practice on the coding side and how it would affect other dead things? I don't know if all dead things are basically just coded exactly the same, or how hard/easy it would be to tweak dead eggs only, or what. Right now it's not just dead eggshells, it's all dead things that stay on your scroll for exactly 2 weeks. That's a very big part of Halloween zombie-making, counting on tombstones to remain on your scroll for that amount of time. And tied to that, currently 'kill slots' are taken for exactly two weeks as well. Would this affect that? Could this change be made without affecting that? I'm not necessarily against a shorter kill-cooldown but I feel like that's not very likely to happen. 

 

(As a work-around, if you don't like constantly seeing the eggshells, you can use a custom sort to sort them to the very end of your scroll.... I'm doing that right now actually... Vampire-bite fail.)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

First, let me say I'm not against this suggestion. I would be against letting them disappear immediately, but shortening it to 1 week seems fine. 

 

However, I'm curious how this would work in practice on the coding side and how it would affect other dead things? I don't know if all dead things are basically just coded exactly the same, or how hard/easy it would be to tweak dead eggs only, or what. Right now it's not just dead eggshells, it's all dead things that stay on your scroll for exactly 2 weeks. That's a very big part of Halloween zombie-making, counting on tombstones to remain on your scroll for that amount of time. And tied to that, currently 'kill slots' are taken for exactly two weeks as well. Would this affect that? Could this change be made without affecting that? I'm not necessarily against a shorter kill-cooldown but I feel like that's not very likely to happen. 

NOT OK with anything that makes zombies even harder....

 

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

(As a work-around, if you don't like constantly seeing the eggshells, you can use a custom sort to sort them to the very end of your scroll.... I'm doing that right now actually... Vampire-bite fail.)

 

I do this as well, but be careful when breeding soon afterwards - I have more than once autoed an egg because I forgot there was a dead one down there !

Share this post


Link to post

No thank you. Zombies are hard enough, killing 5 on the 17th and 5 more on the 31st to double ones chances still has too low a success rate. This would cause dead dragons to dissapear before the kill slots returned. Sort it to the bottom if you dont want to look at it. 

Edited by DragonLady86

Share this post


Link to post

It's an old mechanic like the big guilt trip you used to get for abandoning an egg/hatchling.

But we have... how many? like 300 breeds of dragons now?

Share this post


Link to post

It's always been part of the game and I really see no pressing need to change it now. How does it hurt to have a few eggshells on your scroll?

No, I am not anti-change. There are a lot of things about the game that I would like to see change, but this one just seems totally unnecessary to me.

Share this post


Link to post

I would not be opposed to this if it only affected eggshells specifically, since those can't be revived anyway. Tombstones should absolutely not disappear faster for the reasons already stated. But then if eggshells disappeared faster there would probably be the question of why are they different, and it might make more sense to keep things consistent. For now if you don't like visible eggshells, chuck them to the very end of your scroll as others also said. (I used to do that but too many ND experiments desensitized me lmao.)

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Zombies are hard enough, killing 5 on the 17th and 5 more on the 31st to double ones chances still has too low a success rate. This would cause dead dragons to dissapear before the kill slots returned.

I wouldn't actually mind this suggestion if all dragons and kill slots were affected; it would mean twice as many zombie attempts total, people would just have to change their method to kill on the 24th instead of the 31st. I suspect kills are tied to dead things, as zombies used to permanently take them up. On its own though, I... don't really see a point? It's just visual, and like others said you can just temporarily custom sort them away. If TJ has to unpair eggs from gravestones or dead things from kill slots, that seems like a lot of work for little amount.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I wouldn't particularly care about this either way if it didn't affect tombstones for reasons stated, but I'd only approve of this affecting tombstones if it also reduced the kill cooldown.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, purplehaze said:

It's always been part of the game and I really see no pressing need to change it now. How does it hurt to have a few eggshells on your scroll?

No, I am not anti-change. There are a lot of things about the game that I would like to see change, but this one just seems totally unnecessary to me.

 

seconding this sentiment. they're just pixels that don't take up slots or anything, unlike the kill attempt you lose when killing an adult dragon... beyond the guilt trip, they don't really do anything. it's completely needless to overcomplicate the 2 week dead thing mechanic just to make eggs only hang out for 1 week...? not to mention you'll get over the initial kneejerk and get used to seeing them by then.

Share this post


Link to post

I was thinking "why not ?", but I didn't consider at all the zombie making gameplay since I'm not familiar with it yet.

Thanks everyone for explaining !

Share this post


Link to post

Considering eggs killed by Bite or Earthquake also block your Kill action for two weeks, it makes sense to me to have the dead egg stay until the Kill action cooldown is over.

 

Granted, I'd rather Bite and Earthquake not take up kill slots, but that's a different thread. 😅

Share this post


Link to post

I hate killing dragons, or letting them die (either planned or by accident, though I've experienced the latter only once or twice), and oh how I do hate those eggshells. When I decided to finally enrage one of my aegides and had to let an egg die, I was counting minutes until it would disappear. I think you can imagine custom sort wouldn't work for that, it would feel like sweeping them under the rug (can you say this in English? 😹)

 

So, I definitely understand if someone else would prefer them staying on the scroll for a shorter period. For me, it's not that big a deal, generally I just avoid making any plans that would require killing something (those motus cantors were really painful though, especially because I was quite unlucky with my first ever earthquake attempts!) However, after reading the comments, I can see that changing this could be too complicated, and perhaps unnecessary indeed. I didn't realise there were so many things tied together.

Share this post


Link to post

Another who very rarely kills anything on my scroll, I also hate seeing them on my scroll and always move them to the end so I don't see them.

 

I do have a few Zombies, Vamps and Neglecteds though, and know what it takes to get them. If this interferes with those processes, then I cannot support this change.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, Stromboli said:

Considering eggs killed by Bite or Earthquake also block your Kill action for two weeks, it makes sense to me to have the dead egg stay until the Kill action cooldown is over.

 

Granted, I'd rather Bite and Earthquake not take up kill slots, but that's a different thread. 😅

 

this makes sense, but it still annoys me to all end. very visually cluttered, i hate it. i still support this suggestion. 

Share this post


Link to post

Put them at the bottom and you don't have to look.

Share this post


Link to post

The only way this suggestion wouldn't screw things up in other areas would be if

A. It *only* applied to dead eggshells and no other dead things

or B. If it applies to all dead things the Kill function needs to be changed to match.

Share this post


Link to post

NO support if it applies to all dead things - that 14 days to create a zombie is too useful to risk.

I CANNOT see a need for it, though. It's basically just cosmetic.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't see any practical effect for this; the eggshell isn't taking up an egg slot after the first day, so removing it after 7 or after 14 days doesn't really affect gameplay - except, as others have noted, if it might affect zombifying, which would make an already small chance of success even smaller. 

Share this post


Link to post

TL:DR

 

I too want shorter egg shell time, but I want another kind of BSA breed to eat the shells up. :D

Share this post


Link to post

I'm fine with the dead shell staying there even if it's annoying but I am very against the fact that the egg takes up your space, which is a nightmare when I accidentally steal an egg from the cave.

Share this post


Link to post

Then don't kill the egg you didn't want - just wait the 5 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Then don't kill the egg you didn't want - just wait the 5 hours.

You must use kill/earthquake to make some breeds/color variants. And this make at least few eggshels which after 24h dont do anything to you than iritating by being visible on list (for me especially list of growing dragons).

 

Oh and for accidental stealing i think something like one per week "release back to biome" (not AP) can be helpfull. Mayby as BSA?

Edited by Erra

Share this post


Link to post

If you are going to EQ - go to the random connections thread and ask someone to hold your eggs while you do it.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Erra said:

You must use kill/earthquake to make some breeds/color variants. And this make at least few eggshels which after 24h dont do anything to you than iritating by being visible on list (for me especially list of growing dragons).

 

Oh and for accidental stealing i think something like one per week "release back to biome" (not AP) can be helpfull. Mayby as BSA?

You can trade for them you know. No to this. I do think that having dead eggshells on your scroll taking up egg space is a nuisance, I also don't like the look of them at all, BUT that is a risk you take. I don't see a credible reason why this should suddenly change, because some users just don't like the look of them. Actually, having a load of people saying that they don't like the look of them is proof that the dead eggshell function is doing its job properly. 

Share this post


Link to post


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.