PonyTales

Allow edits to "Wants" description in trades

Per the title, I would love to have a way to refine our trade "wants" after we set it up. This would be super useful especially if we have already shared the link multiple times.

Just a quality of life improvement - I am aware that we can always cancel and relink the teleports  :) 

Thanks!

Edited by PonyTales

Yes please. Pretty pretty pretty please. It seems like such a small thing but it really could be *so* helpful! Cancelling and immediately re-making a trade just to tweak your 'wants' is annoying and feels so unnecessary. This could go a long way towards cutting down on unnecessary 'bumping' caused simply by having to re-make the whole trade if you want to edit the wants. 

Personally I'd probably use this fairly often: I generally have a good 10-15 'wants' I'd accept in a trade and usually try to list the ones I think are most likely to be offered for what I have, but if I get no offers for a good number of hours I do sometimes cancel and re-make with different or more general 'wants'. 

I *know* this has been talked about before but I can't find an actual suggestion for it. 

100% support.

I've had to cancel and re-list because I made a typo that completely changed what I have listed in the section, such as accidentally typing the wrong gen egg or something

Full support.

The amount of times I've had to cancel because I made a tiny mistake that made things confusing...

And HeatherMarie makes another good point, sometimes I end up wanting to ask for something slightly different, either to make it more likely to get offers or because another trade went through etc. 

I agree about needing to edit your wants. Really, I don't know what many of the dragons are worth beyond a rough idea, and usually to get any offers on my trades, I have to change my "wants" until I hit on the right/reasonable requests. I also agree that sometimes another trade goes through and since you received one of your "wants", you no longer want any on your other trades and have to cancel them to re-write everything.

For that and other reason (correcting important typos, etc.) I would totally support this!

Support. I will often have several trades up and if I get egg x that I listed as a want on another one as well, I need to change it as I don't want two.

Sometimes I make a mistake typing my "wants" (Gasp!). Yesterday, I actually forgot to put "wants" in on one trade. This would be soo helpful.

Agreed, but my concern is this is getting dangerously close to the private messaging system TJ has said DC will never have, since you'll basically be responding to other users via the edits. Seems very much like direct communication and I'm not sure if that will fly.

Not really - If I say "want: CB purple ridgewing" and someone has just given me one, there's nothing wrong with switching it to "Want 2g PB white" - that's hardly a private message. No trade is allowed to specify any one member; that will be reported. Trust me - I report then all the time !

15 minutes ago, steeve said:

Agreed, but my concern is this is getting dangerously close to the private messaging system TJ has said DC will never have, since you'll basically be responding to other users via the edits. Seems very much like direct communication and I'm not sure if that will fly.

I don't think that's much of a concern here? Normal hub rules still apply, you still wouldn't be allowed to mention or direct the wants to any specific user. No one would be communicating directly with anyone, and no one would be able to respond to the 'wants' text in any way. It's really no different than being allowed to rename our dragons, in function at least. Changing some 'want' text is not in any way related to direct communication, and people who use it as such will get reported the same way they are now.

edit to add: This suggestion isn't suggesting that anything *new* be allowed, really, it's just a more convenient way of doing what we already can do. We can already cancel and re-make the exact same trade with modified 'want' text, that's already completely allowed, all this would do would cut out the unnecessary cancel/re-make steps.

Edited by HeatherMarie

10 minutes ago, steeve said:

I don't really see why that is anywhere near private messaging. Just removing or adding something to your wants based on what you might have already gotten would be very convenient, but it is a long stretch to call that the equivalent of private messaging.

I do very much support having this option available for all the reasons others have mentioned.

Out of curiosity - was there every any proper reason why we can't have two separate fields, one for "Want" and one for "Have"?

I would so like to be able to nicely spell out what exactly I offer and what exactly I'm looking for. And an edit function for the "Want" would be highly appreciated, too, as I always only see mistakes after I posted them.

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

Out of curiosity - was there every any proper reason why we can't have two separate fields, one for "Want" and one for "Have"?

I would so like to be able to nicely spell out what exactly I offer and what exactly I'm looking for. And an edit function for the "Want" would be highly appreciated, too, as I always only see mistakes after I posted them.

I'd love that, too--make it easier since if you have a complex offer that doesn't leave room for a lot of "want" description

Also, if people are concerned about it being used to directly talk to people--not only would the original rules remain and that be reportable, you could also put a cooldown on it--say, X edits per hour or something, or X edits per trade.  Enough to let people make changes if their situation alters or they realize they made an error, not enough to be constantly altered.

Also, edits I don't imagine would push your trade back to the top--so people couldn't abuse an edit to just re-bump their trades, they'd still have to cancel and re-list for that.

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

To my knowledge there has never been any reason given for that, and my thread about it was never official commented on or shut down: 

I agree with both editing and with having separate fields - I'd suggest 'Want' and 'Notes' (rather than just 'Have'), because people can and will use it for all kinds of additional information, e.g. "trade up till 6 PM" or "egglocked," as well as listing what they have.

This would be nice. There is just one thing I was wondering... what would happen to any existing offers, in case there are some? Because I really hope they wouldn't be automatically cancelled, like if something hatches. I can already imagine editing my trade to, say, ask for something less valuable because I didn't get any offers, and at the same time someone offers exactly the thing I was looking for but the offer will be cancelled. 😹 I wouldn't like it either if my offer on someone's trade disappeared for this reason. I could never know if they saw it, if they were considering or just didn't bother to decline. A notification would be nice, though, so I could check their new "wants" and then decide if I wish to keep my offer hanging there.

@Varislapsi  I don't see why any offers would be canceled. It's not re-making the trade or affecting what is in the trade at all, it should be possible to simply edit the text field without affecting anything else.

@HeatherMarie I do agree with you! They definitely shouldn't be cancelled. I just saw that no one had brought this up yet and thought that it could be worth mentioning.

Edited by Varislapsi