Wymsical

Protochroma

They sorta help me out thanks. Do we fight each other? Our do we  just get eggs and hatchlings? Is there a forum in the game where we can post questions? If so where is it? 

8lXZh.pngfh1RX.pngJFWnc.pngj1Kc.pngqwUB.pngYKvzo.png1486ar.pngFr-hG.pngTEoGx.pngRc4B8.png_OaCZc.pngnsLa2A.png

12 hours ago, jJedi_Master_1 said:

Do we fight each other?

No, you fight the creatures you can find on the site.

Our do we  just get eggs and hatchlings?

I'm not sure what you mean. Via delving?

You can take one of your adult creatures to help you fight. If you're asking if you get babies from delving, only as rewards from what are called "limited" delves which run over the course of the month before cycling out.

Is there a forum in the game where we can post questions? If so where is it?

No forum, but there is a discord server which you can access at the bottom of any page on the site.

I also heavily recommend the wiki:  https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

On a side note, if you're posting your creatures every post to get them clicks and views, you don't need to. Your creatures will grow regardless of if they get clicks and views, as long as you're online to mature them when Time Needed goes to 0.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:04 PM, Keileon said:

No, you fight the creatures you can find on the site.

I'm not sure what you mean. Via delving?

You can take one of your adult creatures to help you fight. If you're asking if you get babies from delving, only as rewards from what are called "limited" delves which run over the course of the month before cycling out.

No forum, but there is a discord server which you can access at the bottom of any page on the site.

I also heavily recommend the wiki:  https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

On a side note, if you're posting your creatures every post to get them clicks and views, you don't need to. Your creatures will grow regardless of if they get clicks and views, as long as you're online to mature them when Time Needed goes to 0.

How do we fight them???

No I like to post them as I get them that's all.

YKvzo.png18DzZ.pngD3Tqg.pngWVT0.pngE9gpk.png8lXZh.pngj1Kc.pngfh1RX.pngJFWnc.png

Edited by jJedi_Master_1

19 hours ago, jJedi_Master_1 said:

How do we fight them???

I suggest going to the Delving page and just clicking things at this point, tbh.

9 hours ago, Keileon said:

I suggest going to the Delving page and just clicking things at this point, tbh.

Okay thanks for the info 😀

tXmD8D.png2IrIhM.pngXSle.pngAkPk_.pngaHi7Xx.pngYKvzo.png18DzZ.pngD3Tqg.pngE9gpk.pngWVT0.png

Can I suggest adding a chart with elemental weaknesses and strengths to the help section? Also I think it would be nice if combat screens or at least FRIC displayed what elements do the creatures have on defense and offense, maybe after X encounters/victories?

This post was sponsored by me randomly finding out a shadowspewer is weak to lightning for some reason.

Also how about a toggle to automatically pick a new tagalong after every delve?

18 hours ago, Lost_Unicorn said:

Can I suggest adding a chart with elemental weaknesses and strengths to the help section?

Protochroma isn't like Pokemon-- one element isn't inherently weak or strong against another, and it's all determined by the creature's species.

Also I think it would be nice if combat screens or at least FRIC displayed what elements do the creatures have on defense and offense, maybe after X encounters/victories?

Not all creatures have an element; I don't know if Wym has this planned, but the wiki currently has most things up to date:

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Laboratory_Depths

(each delve has its own page, with creature weaknesses listed, as do the individual creature pages)

Also how about a toggle to automatically pick a new tagalong after every delve?

Might be a cool idea! Currently I just have the Tagalong selection screen in a separate tab from my delve, but that's trickier on mobile.

@Keileon Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at tagalong screen and again: which creatures do what? Do chromas affect anything?

8 hours ago, Keileon said:

I don't know if Wym has this planned, but the wiki currently has most things up to date:

Good to know. But I would prefer it if the game itself conveniently provided this important information. How about unlocking that information about the species after the player "scans" or "studies" it several times in combat? It could be a random "search" action or just an otherwise useless fourth action. Maybe you could unlock it for scraps?

Another idea: elemental attacks could have coloured attack names or damage numbers, or even tiny icons to show what element they are.

13 hours ago, jJedi_Master_1 said:

Been trying to breed and pick up eggs but the game won't let me for some reason. HELP!!!!!!

Make sure you're not in an active delve. Simply clicking off the delve page won't work, as the game saves your progress; you have to actually win or be kicked out of the delve.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:21 AM, Lost_Unicorn said:

@Keileon Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at tagalong screen and again: which creatures do what? Do chromas affect anything?

Good to know. But I would prefer it if the game itself conveniently provided this important information. How about unlocking that information about the species after the player "scans" or "studies" it several times in combat? It could be a random "search" action or just an otherwise useless fourth action. Maybe you could unlock it for scraps?

Another idea: elemental attacks could have coloured attack names or damage numbers, or even tiny icons to show what element they are.

Chroma is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect anything like stats.

All creatures have two basic attacks that have varying base damage and potential elements, and otherwise currently all do the same thing. Tagalong behavior is determined only by Personality, which you can find on the help pages.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:21 AM, Lost_Unicorn said:

Updating FRIC to have Delving information for creatures is on my itinerary, but I don't have a timeframe for when I'm going to work on it. I work on a lot of things concurrently, which is a mishmash of improving/expanding already existent things, creating new things whose scale is small in regards to coding, and building entire large features most often from scratch.

If you're talking about having colours in the Delving turn text, due to the way it's handled I don't know if there's a way for me to have formatting within that text. It may be possible, but it would no doubt be something that involves some kind of weird contrived coding solution on my end. I know that probably seems pretty ridiculous for what is just a list of lines (and it kind of is.), but I can't really explain why exactly that is without basically writing some crazy technical essay. Most instances of printing text out like that isn't like that, mind you, that specifically just happens to be the exception to the rule.

On 9/30/2021 at 1:13 AM, Keileon said:

All creatures have two basic attacks that have varying base damage and potential elements

That is exactly what I want to see on the tagalong page.

@Keileon I have two suggestions for wiki:
1.add pages for elements, which have all creatures that use said element ("Fire", "Creatures with fire attacks");

Spoiler

This is how I had to find all fire-wielders right now.
atc.png.df59105affec63607b0999f295abc9c2.png

2.move strategy sections on delve pages below factual information about the game. Personally I think it makes more sense and I also want to think about my picks myself first. It's not important to change, ofcourse.

-----------------------------
@Wymsical Thank you for the response.

On 9/30/2021 at 1:24 AM, Wymsical said:

If you're talking about having colours in the Delving turn text, due to the way it's handled I don't know if there's a way for me to have formatting within that text.

If you do expand FRIC to include elemental information, then this becomes just extra convinience anyway. Having two elemental icons displayed near the creature image/in status bar would also achieve the same. Or "Attacks: low neutral, strong fire; light, strong water".

I also have another suggestion for delving page:
Sometimes the creature image doesn't instantly load. When it does load it expands the page and moves action buttons lower. Could you make it so that action buttons always stay in the same place regardless if the creature image has loaded or not? Can you also print out the creatures name in some convinient place? Like below/above it's hp bar/action buttons or in battle-log ("A ([colour]) Vullux appears!").

Spoiler

eeee.thumb.png.4f992b9445b4d56d665343deb5f75108.png

-----------------------------
Trx2l.png OxJn7.png 5U0ta.png kaUCYJ.png 8SJCXQ.png F7HBfu.png

Edited by Lost_Unicorn

11 hours ago, Lost_Unicorn said:

That is exactly what I want to see on the tagalong page.

@Keileon I have two suggestions for wiki:
1.add pages for elements, which have all creatures that use said element ("Fire", "Creatures with fire attacks");

Hide contents

This is how I had to find all fire-wielders right now.
atc.png.df59105affec63607b0999f295abc9c2.png

2.move strategy sections on delve pages below factual information about the game. Personally I think it makes more sense and I also want to think about my picks myself first. It's not important to change, ofcourse.

1. Will these suffice? :)

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Neutral_Attacks

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Air_Attacks

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Shadow_Attacks

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Earth_Attacks

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Fire_Attacks

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Electric_Attacks

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Water_Attacks

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Solar_Attacks

https://protochroma.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Ice_Attacks

2. There was discussion about that and ultimately I decided Strategy should go near the top, because:

a) it's generally going to be a shorter section than the enemy list and item drops, and you usually want short sections closer to the top so it's less to scroll through for a given piece of information, and

b) most people who go to a delve page are doing so to help them beat that delve. While the enemy list serves that purpose, the Strategy section is a more condensed, summarized version of that which most people are going to prefer over puzzling it out themselves.

21 hours ago, Keileon said:

1. Will these suffice?

Thank you. :)
It would be nice if there were also creature images, I think.
It seems that these pages are not linked anywhere (except at the bottom of creature pages) and do not even appear in search? It would be good if they were linked by the elemental icons.

Spoiler

ic.png.10c2a912771f547032e65fc0ba437cf1.png

------------------------------------
Edit:
Found a wild juvenile vullux in the nursery. ^_^

gdP2.png  i5VGH.pngP6nqYx.pnger7l5.pngO57Hq.pngNASgG.pngbWZ3.png

Edited by Lost_Unicorn

17 hours ago, Lost_Unicorn said:

Thank you. :)
It would be nice if there were also creature images, I think.
It seems that these pages are not linked anywhere (except at the bottom of creature pages) and do not even appear in search? It would be good if they were linked by the elemental icons.

Reveal hidden contents

ic.png.10c2a912771f547032e65fc0ba437cf1.png

That's because they're category pages, and don't work like that.

On 9/29/2021 at 6:13 PM, Keileon said:

Make sure you're not in an active delve. Simply clicking off the delve page won't work, as the game saves your progress; you have to actually win or be kicked out of the delve.

How do I do that?? Never mind I got out of the fight

wNoz.pngdSEjO.pnggOr3A.pngjeJm.pnggv6v2.png

Edited by jJedi_Master_1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, Keileon said:

That's because they're category pages, and don't work like that.

Creating proper pages would solve that, but I understand if you don't think it's worth the effort, as I am probably the only person who thought this will be useful. :)

----------------------------
1g-v.png nmKvF.png w-uExZ.png p4EVp.png Mydh7d.pngkOA7F.pnga2H6wC.png

Edited by Lost_Unicorn

On 10/1/2021 at 5:07 AM, Lost_Unicorn said:

@Wymsical Thank you for the response.

If you do expand FRIC to include elemental information, then this becomes just extra convinience anyway. Having two elemental icons displayed near the creature image/in status bar would also achieve the same. Or "Attacks: low neutral, strong fire; light, strong water".

I also have another suggestion for delving page:
Sometimes the creature image doesn't instantly load. When it does load it expands the page and moves action buttons lower. Could you make it so that action buttons always stay in the same place regardless if the creature image has loaded or not? Can you also print out the creatures name in some convinient place? Like below/above it's hp bar/action buttons or in battle-log ("A ([colour]) Vullux appears!").

Reveal hidden contents

eeee.thumb.png.4f992b9445b4d56d665343deb5f75108.png

Tweaking the box to have a fixed size regardless of what's inside is easy enough, I did something similar for Sector/Nursery claimables when someone else inquired about it months ago. I'll probably slip it in as part of my large update to the CSS files (hopefully finished sometime this week, one of the things I'm working on right now is site themes so there's actually some native dark modes). Printing out the creature name I can see about doing as well.

On 10/6/2021 at 9:36 AM, Lost_Unicorn said:

Could you maybe list search effects in the pop-up area descriptions?
ter.png.7e2f8e2dd28082b65c17a681f883fc79.png

I would think this would be a no, as she seems to leave us to discover those on our own.

18 hours ago, Keileon said:

I would think this would be a no, as she seems to leave us to discover those on our own.

When I first started playing protochroma I was a somewhat surprised by the amount of important information that is hidden from the player. It felt like it should be there, but it wasn't. I was wondering if it was intentional or the dev(s) just didn't get around to it yet. After Wymsical said that they are going to expand FRIC with delving information, I felt it was okay to ask/suggest more for the transparency of the game.

The reason I have suggested before, that the important delving information be unlockable, is to accommodate the "fun of exploration" argument. Personally I don't think there's much fun to be had from exploration (what there is to explore? what do you get from it?), and it wanes out pretty fast anyway. After that you are left with a lot of hidden information that would be very convenient and important for players to have, but instead they have to trial-and-error it all and then document all of their findings to not forget them, or simply use the wiki because it's easier. Making informed decisions and (half-)calculated risks is fun too, but it's inconvenient to do right now.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:14 PM, Keileon said:

b) most people who go to a delve page are doing so to help them beat that delve. While the enemy list serves that purpose, the Strategy section is a more condensed, summarized version of that which most people are going to prefer over puzzling it out themselves.

If most people don't bother with info that wiki gives, then they certainly wouldn't bother accumulating that knowledge just by themselves either. How many people do this? If it's the (overwhelming) majority, then current "exploration" is probably not worth keeping. Maybe if the game provided more information, then players would be more inclined to try to win just by themselves.

I don't know what to say/think about the fact that players can just look at gear that winners use and use that as an easy and accessible guides for themselves.

-----------------------
Why do some creatures which, going by their description, are not canines, but have canine heads? If I hadn't read the descriptions I would think they are intended to be canine hybrids.

-----------------------
Yesterday someone dropped 2 M&F pairs of barkbacks into the nursery - it was pretty cool to see. :D I also grabbed a pair.

PXf4KP.png xTLSZ1.png 3U6Jw.png Xkc-b9.png qMi7.png P-ydSC.png VadZO3.png F1waCj.png J0O2.png 0TJVv2.png wxz3G.png Yrror.png d7h_Pk.png TDk3Y9.png

14 hours ago, Lost_Unicorn said:

Why do some creatures which, going by their description, are not canines, but have canine heads? If I hadn't read the descriptions I would think they are intended to be canine hybrids.

Because it's a sci-fi game with alien creatures and not everything has to conform to Earth's evolutionary standards. :P