Elizabeth Moonstone

Make trades time-limited (optionally)

No. The nature of DragCave is to check in once a day or two. I don't even check my trade requests maybe more than once a day. Maybe more if I need something idle to do. People need to understand that DragCave encourages not always being online. Quite frankly, it is a point of frustration for me where I might check an hour later and find out someone made an offer and I guess got impatient so they canceled it. I try to state that I check trades once a day and that's what this suggestion should be because I'm NOT reposting my trades every 24 hours, especially for when I try to bloodswap Aeons that might take a week for whatever reason. Posting an expiration date for trades encourages FOMO and someone might not immediately accept your trade because they might be considering it or just not online. 

The trading hub is vastly overdue for improvements, but this would compound issues and go against the exercise in patience that is this game.

I think OP needs to drop a giant, brightly colored "OPTIONAL" in the first post because people still seem to be missing that somehow, despite the bolded bit at the bottom.

Anyway, I do get the frustration on both ends--of being left hanging or being left with offers cancelled.  I'd like there to be other options such as a way to mark that you use decline (I don't always have room in the description box to note that) or that you like to deliberate--just because I use decline doesn't mean I won't let an offer sit there while I think about it for a bit to decide if I want to take it or not (assuming I even saw it--so often somebody offers hours after I put a trade up and I've already gone to bed).

Perhaps, if the idea behind a lightning trade is because people are sick of not knowing for too long if their offer is being considered or not, there could be an option to mark "considering" next to an offer, so that the person knows it was seen as is being thought about rather than being ignored or that the trader is offline?  Not something done automatically but something you can choose to select where "accept" and "decline" are?

One other thing I've seen brought up here several times is the ability to offer on multiple trades--that's a useful thing that I wouldn't be opposed to, but.  I think such offers should be noted that way the people running the trade are aware they have competition.  Not that they could see what other trades the dragons were offered on, just a note "this dragon is offered on additional trades" somewhere.  That or getting a notification that the offer was withdrawn because one or more dragons within it were accepted on another trade so you know it wasn't just somebody canceling it out of impatience.

5 hours ago, Charu said:

No. The nature of DragCave is to check in once a day or two. I don't even check my trade requests maybe more than once a day. Maybe more if I need something idle to do. People need to understand that DragCave encourages not always being online. Quite frankly, it is a point of frustration for me where I might check an hour later and find out someone made an offer and I guess got impatient so they canceled it. I try to state that I check trades once a day and that's what this suggestion should be because I'm NOT reposting my trades every 24 hours, especially for when I try to bloodswap Aeons that might take a week for whatever reason. Posting an expiration date for trades encourages FOMO and someone might not immediately accept your trade because they might be considering it or just not online. 

The trading hub is vastly overdue for improvements, but this would compound issues and go against the exercise in patience that is this game.

That is your play style, not the way everyone plays the game. I have many missing dragons on my scroll and not enough egg slots so I want my trades to be done quickly. Choosing a regular versus lightning trade indicates to the offerer what type of trade this is (“I want to go fast”/“I want to take my time”). If you opt for regular, impatient users might not offer for your trades but currently, they are just offering and then cancelling so having the lightning option doesn’t really change things for you.

Again why Lightning trades? Where is the benefit? If you are annoyed that your offer is not accepted or denied within a certain time frame do you really think this will make deliberating players faster or make people log in more often? I seriously doubt it. If it takes too long you can always cancel as it is. Threatening the trades with a big red clock does not seem to have any benefits. And quite frankly all those TV Ads with clocks counting down on how long any special offer will be up, this annoys me greatly. Personally I will not make a descision faster and I am more inclined to just let a trade offer run out if the offering person is pressuring me to do something already. Yes I do make descisions quickly, however I sometimes just want to think about it or just don't have the time to check my notifications all day.

Same as with breeding requests for me, ask me in a decent tone and be patient for me to get to your request and I will breed you most anything on my scroll for free. Pester me about it then be prepared to have your request sit there for all eternity.

Would it not make more sense to be able to offer dragons to multiple trades?

That way you can have it sit patiently on a trade and still not have it blocked in case you wish to do something else with it. And you might even have the chance of the offer being accepted after the slower user has taken their time.

I mean... yeah I agree being able to offer on multiple trades is much more of a needed benefit, but I don't see why you think having the option for a trade creator to make their trade time-limited means they'll be pressured by an offerer. This is a suggestion to let traders add slightly specific advertising to their public trades, not giving offerers a ticking clock alert on that special offer (because yes the only point of that idea would be to pressure a trader, which is dumb).

Edited by Shadowdrake

But then this makes even less sense to me.

If you create a trade and no likeable offer comes along you just cancel and be done with it?

Either offer you stuff on a trade or make a new one.

Especially this could easily be solved by having the option to offer things that are already in trades on other trades. 🤷‍♀️

I have updated the initial post to make it even clearer that this is optional. Having a lightning trade option while regular trades remain does not constrain you in any way, it doesn’t force you to choose faster or threaten you with big clock. You chose to put the clock in there only if you want to.

When I posted this thread, I thought time limits should be mandatory. This was thoughtless of other people’s play styles. I apologize for that. 

Now what is the advantage of lightning trade versus just cancelling the trade after x hours? For the trader there is no difference. For the offerer, there is a big one: currently, I have no idea when a trader will respond to my offer, a lightning trade gives me that information. It might not be relevant to your play style but please think about how it could help others as well.

Edited by Elizabeth Moonstone

It seems like some people are completely misunderstanding what a feature like this is meant to be. Even though the OP is fairly clear (and the title was rather quickly changed to include *optionally*). 

Something like this is not going to screw up trading for anyone. It's not a deliberate pressure on anyone to log on more or anything like that. Regular trades are *not* going away. 

*Some* users prefer quick trades. *Some* offerers would rather know if their offer is going to be left hanging or if they can expect some sort of answer within a certain amount of time. *Some* traders would like to specify that they want a 'quick trade' both as an incentive to offer quicker and as a reassurance to the offerers that they will get a response soon. This would be an *option* to help *those* users. If you aren't among those users, that's perfectly fine, you don't need to use the feature.

(And no, I honestly don't see how an optional feature like this would make things so much harder for different timezones or people who can't be on a lot, there would simply be the same issues in those areas that there always have been.)

Edited by HeatherMarie

Again, because I still fail to comprehend: What exactly is the benefit of those Lightning Trades?

As the owner of the trade hub trade: It cancels the trade automatically after X hours if nothing comes up. As it is you coud just ... cancal after X hours if nothing comes up?

As offerer: You might indicate to the other person that you expect a quick answer, which might be seen as pressuring, aside of the fact that this might not work because of time zones and because it might not make the other person log on any more often or deliberate any faster. If your offer is not accepted within X hours, it will be cancelled automatically. As it is your could just ... cancel after X hours if your offer is not accepted or declined?

It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. If I make an offer it should be clear that I want a reply once the person I offered to sees it and had the chance to think about it. This should be a given without having to say it. This is common curtesy, besides it is rather clear that I do not offer a dragon for the fun of it being blocked for any and all action. As there is no option to reply "I have seen your offer, please let me consider it", I will assume that this is what is happening here.

I fail to see what issue you wish to adress here.

If it is about stuff being blocked by being offerend on a trade then this could be adressed differently. For example (as I have pointed out several times), by allowing dragons to be in more than one trade.

If this is about people forgetting to decline offers, then you can still cancel yourself if you feel sufficient time has passed since your offer. Trade notifications come with a time stamp as it is.

The trader that chooses to create a lightning trade already indicates that they will give a quick answer (within x hours) so how could the offerer pressure them?

For time zones or people that only login occasionally,  I agree with Heather Marie that this doesn’t affect things much.

I’m going to take a step back from this thread now, as it does me no good to keep arguing about this. 

25 minutes ago, Nalyua said:

I fail to see what issue you wish to adress here.

The issue being addressed has been explained pretty clearly. Multiple people have explained it, I have explained it as simply as I can. If *you* don't feel like there is any issue that this suggestion would help for *you*, that's fine, but there is proof right here in this thread that some people see a benefit to this. 

I apologize if you feel the need to argue because that is not my intention I am just trying to understand a) what the exact benefit of this option ist (which I still do not understand, as it is a given for me to conclude trades in a timely fashion, while still allowing for some time to consider an offer) and b) which issue this is trying to adress. So I am asking questions. Yes I will ask them repeatedly if I do not understand the answer.

While it does not have any real disadvantages either or take anything away from anyone else, I just do not see the benefit.

@HeatherMarie Maybe other people see it, however I do not. And I do not understand why it is seen as offensive to ask about it until it is understood. Asking questions is not to offend anyone but to try and see their point.

@KageSora I do like you option of having like a selection of messages to send to a trader like "Thanks for your offer, I am taking time to consider it." This also gives the offering person a rough idea when their offer was seen.

We already have the message options and I have seen some people just write down "fast replies" or "I use decline" or "might take time to consider". If the space is not enough for this, maybe there would be an option to tick those off aditonally to the message box with the h/w-section.

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

I mean... yeah I agree being able to offer on multiple trades is much more of a needed benefit, but I don't see why you think having the option for a trade creator to make their trade time-limited means they'll be pressured by an offerer. This is a suggestion to let traders add slightly specific advertising to their public trades, not giving offerers a ticking clock alert on that special offer (because yes the only point of that idea would be to pressure a trader, which is dumb).

I don't imagine an offerer would pressure anyone (how can they ? on forum ? Block PMs !) but there is very possibility that however much the offerer wants whatever, the trader will not like any of the offers (and there will almost certainly be more random offers if people think they will go for anything to get a quick trade...) and will simply cancel.

48 minutes ago, Nalyua said:

it is a given for me to conclude trades in a timely fashion

Yes, it is a given for yourself. It is not a given for anyone offering on yours, or even a given for the freshest trades. Anyone can post a nice rare trade and forget about DC for several days while all the offers on it grow up without even being looked at. A time-limited trade at least negates that possibility.

52 minutes ago, Nalyua said:

We already have the message options and I have seen some people just write down "fast replies" or "I use decline" or "might take time to consider". If the space is not enough for this, maybe there would be an option to tick those off aditonally to the message box with the h/w-section.

100 characters is extremely short when you want to include a have, a want, and a time span. also, A checkbox isn't a guarantee like a time-limited trade is, just like anyone can say their dragon is CB when it isn't.

37 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

but there is very possibility that however much the offerer wants whatever, the trader will not like any of the offers (and there will almost certainly be more random offers if people think they will go for anything to get a quick trade...) and will simply cancel.

This is already a given for any potentially rare or desirable trade. *shrug*

On consideration, I don't support this suggestion just because I doubt TJ would add anything close to an exact countdown, and the thought of guessing whether a timed trade at "1 hour remaining" actually has 1 hour or 1 minute left seems... unappealing. Plus, if a lot of traders view it like Nalyua does (that it has no direct benefit and thus no point), then it's probably a waste of effort to set up+program+debug.

1 hour ago, Nalyua said:

I apologize if you feel the need to argue because that is not my intention I am just trying to understand a) what the exact benefit of this option ist (which I still do not understand, as it is a given for me to conclude trades in a timely fashion, while still allowing for some time to consider an offer) and b) which issue this is trying to adress. So I am asking questions. Yes I will ask them repeatedly if I do not understand the answer.

While it does not have any real disadvantages either or take anything away from anyone else, I just do not see the benefit.

@HeatherMarie Maybe other people see it, however I do not. And I do not understand why it is seen as offensive to ask about it until it is understood. Asking questions is not to offend anyone but to try and see their point.

@KageSora I do like you option of having like a selection of messages to send to a trader like "Thanks for your offer, I am taking time to consider it." This also gives the offering person a rough idea when their offer was seen.

As someone who trades a lot, I will try to give my own explanation. Let's say I have egg X to trade. Often I find it works better to offer on others' trades than put it up myself and get 0 offers because people already have their own stuff up for trade, so I look for things that I like and find 3 different trades that could work. I offer on the most promising (or recent, depends) one, but 5 or 10 or 24 hours go by and nothing has happened. By then, one of the other trades is gone. If I wait more, X might eventually be declined or the trade just cancelled because someone decided to ER the egg or something, while I also risk missing the other trade that is still up. So what I end up doing is cancelling my offer after a few hours, offering X on one of the other trades and really really hoping that they'll answer faster so that I at least know if it's worth pursuing. Sometimes I end up switching around like that a few times before I get one decline in a reasonable timeframe. If I could look for lightning trades of only a few hours, then it would be guaranteed that either my egg would be accepted or it would be "free" again in that amount of time to offer on something else without having to cancel etc. Of course, it is possible that people will still put up trades and let them expire without checking. But if you deliberately choose to put a time limit on your trade, you're shooting yourself in the foot by not checking on time because you'll come back to nothing, so there's a much better chance that I'll at least know if they are interested in X or not. If anything, I feel like this would benefit offerers more than the person who makes the trade, since the trade-op would still fully depend on if anyone will offer (though perhaps some people would be encouraged by the lightning element and prefer that trade to another). 

That said, I am tentatively supporting this suggestion. I would probably use it like I said, but I also don't think it's an extremely pressing matter compared to other things I would like to see on the site, and might be a lot of effort for a small benefit. So for me it depends on how much people want this; if a lot of people would be really into it then yes, if not then I'll survive without it too. 

57 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

This is already a given for any potentially rare or desirable trade. *shrug*

Sure - so how would this help significantly ? The ONLY change would be that after an hour or whatever, you'd know to look elsewhere when the trader doesn't like any of their offers and tries again. If you don't want to wait longer than an hour (or whatever) you can cancel your offer.

For traders, this would also mean using up a LOT more magis or cancelling every lightning trade at 59 minutes. I have zillions, so don't care - but still.... here's a suggestion running not to cancel the trade when something hatches, because it wastes a magi....

57 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

On consideration, I don't support this suggestion just because I doubt TJ would add anything close to an exact countdown, and the thought of guessing whether a timed trade at "1 hour remaining" actually has 1 hour or 1 minute left seems... unappealing. Plus, if a lot of traders view it like Nalyua does (that it has no direct benefit and thus no point), then it's probably a waste of effort to set up+program+debug.

On that we agree.

On 7/15/2021 at 2:34 AM, HeatherMarie said:

*Some* offerers would rather know if their offer is going to be left hanging or if they can expect some sort of answer within a certain amount of time.

This. This is currently my biggest beef with the trading hub. 

I've had three different trades I've offered on just this week where I offered on a trade, checked their scroll to find out if they have room and/or when I could reasonably expect a response one way or the other, the time came and went, and I checked their scroll again to find they've clearly interacted with their scroll or relocked themselves again (two of them being with biome eggs less than 5 hours old); that gives me the impression that they never intended on interacting with my offer and planned on letting it sit there until it timed out naturally. It makes me not want to offer on people's trades because I can't trust that I'll get any type of response anymore.

On 7/15/2021 at 2:42 AM, Nalyua said:

If I make an offer it should be clear that I want a reply once the person I offered to sees it and had the chance to think about it. This should be a given without having to say it. This is common curtesy, besides it is rather clear that I do not offer a dragon for the fun of it being blocked for any and all action.

The problem is that this isn't what's happening and that's why people are saying the trader has all the power. If someone declines my offer, I accept it and try to find another offer, but I'm finding more often than not that my offer goes completely ignored for however long I'm willing to hold out on the trade (which usually ends up being 24 hours if there's no clear indication that I'm being ignored because I only tend to offer on things I really want). Yes, I can simply cancel if I don't think it's being responded to within a reasonable amount of time, but it's still time wasted that I could have been using to offer on someone else's trade and I I only have a certain amount of time before the dragon hatches/grows up; plus, I shouldn't have to creep on other people's scrolls to figure out whether I'm being ignored or not.

Personally, rather than lightning/timer trades, I'd prefer the ability to offer my eggs/hatchies on multiple trades at a time and/or be able to create my own trade while offering on other people's trades so it doesn't feel like my offer's being held hostage on one trade.

9 minutes ago, Myoukin said:

This. This is currently my biggest beef with the trading hub. 

I've had three different trades I've offered on just this week where I offered on a trade, checked their scroll to find out if they have room and/or when I could reasonably expect a response one way or the other, the time came and went, and I checked their scroll again to find they've clearly interacted with their scroll or relocked themselves again (two of them being with biome eggs less than 5 hours old); that gives me the impression that they never intended on interacting with my offer and planned on letting it sit there until it timed out naturally. It makes me not want to offer on people's trades because I can't trust that I'll get any type of response anymore.

Just because they interacted with their scroll without accepting/declining doesn't mean they're ignoring your offer--they may be deliberating, especially if your offer is one of multiple very appealing offers and they're not sure which one to select.  (Re-locking does sound odd, but they may not be intending to let it time out--believe it nor not, many of us have imperfect memories and may have flat-out forgotten we had a trade up.  That's very different in intention than planning to just leave your eggs hostage until you give up and pull them.  The end result might be the same, but attributing malice where human error is just as, if not more, likely seems silly to me)

As an aside...

Another thing that would be beneficial in a timed trade is that everybody has a different idea of what is a reasonable amount of time to respond.  Some people expect a response within an hour and get angry if they don't get that--never mind that they have no way of knowing if the trader has even seen their offer.  Some people think a few hours is fine, but get upset if people take longer than that to decide which offer they want to select.  Some people genuinely don't care because they trust that most of the time the trade isn't forgotten and it's the person just trying to decide if they want to take the offer or not--especially if it's an offer on something very rare where the trader may have multiple very good offers they're trying to decide between.

A time-restricted trade would allow a standardized limit--sure I might consider a day or two reasonable because what if the trader is busy or had something come up or is torn between my offer and another?  But clearly other people think that less than a few hours is the only reasonable time to respond.  A trade that auto-expires within a set limited number of hours says "this is what the trader considers a reasonable amount of time for them to respond to you" so that you know beforehand.  Sure the trade might still be left to languish until expiration if something comes up, but gives a quicker look to the possible offerers what timeframe the trader is working within.

4 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Just because they interacted with their scroll without accepting/declining doesn't mean they're ignoring your offer--they may be deliberating, especially if your offer is one of multiple very appealing offers and they're not sure which one to select.  (Re-locking does sound odd, but they may not be intending to let it time out--believe it nor not, many of us have imperfect memories and may have flat-out forgotten we had a trade up.  That's very different in intention than planning to just leave your eggs hostage until you give up and pull them.  The end result might be the same, but attributing malice where human error is just as, if not more, likely seems silly to me)

If that's the case, then it may be beneficial to either have a system in place that a) re-notifies the trader if they've looked at the offer and not made a decision; something that tells them 'this trade has an offer still waiting on a decision ' after a set amount of time has passed or b) lets the offerer know that the trader is interested and/or trying to decide.

The big issue with the trading hub atm is the lack of transparency for the offerer; we don't know when we're going to get a response or even if we're going to get a response.

2 minutes ago, Myoukin said:

If that's the case, then it may be beneficial to either have a system in place that a) re-notifies the trader if they've looked at the offer and not made a decision; something that tells them 'this trade has an offer still waiting on a decision ' after a set amount of time has passed or b) lets the offerer know that the trader is interested and/or trying to decide.

The big issue with the trading hub atm is the lack of transparency for the offerer; we don't know when we're going to get a response or even if we're going to get a response.

I fully agree it'd be nice to have a "considering" option to select instead of only accept/decline.  I know more than once I've wished I could let somebody know "Hey, I see this, I'm considering it".

Especially if we could hit it more than once, say ever several hours or so to let them know we're still considering it or something

3 minutes ago, KageSora said:

I fully agree it'd be nice to have a "considering" option to select instead of only accept/decline.  I know more than once I've wished I could let somebody know "Hey, I see this, I'm considering it".

Especially if we could hit it more than once, say ever several hours or so to let them know we're still considering it or something

This is especially true if the trader happens to be egg/scroll locked and the offer would put them over the limit. More often than not when I make an offer on someone's trade, I check to see if they're locked so I can gauge whether I might get a response right away or if I'll have to wait a couple of hours/days to know if they're interested.

2 minutes ago, Myoukin said:

This is especially true if the trader happens to be egg/scroll locked and the offer would put them over the limit. More often than not when I make an offer on someone's trade, I check to see if they're locked so I can gauge whether I might get a response right away or if I'll have to wait a couple of hours/days to know if they're interested.

Yeah.  It would be especially nice if there were an option to communicate "I'm considering your offer" and "I'd like to accept but I have too many dragons, please be patient while they hatch/mature/are abandonable"

So far I like the other suggestions that came out through discussion. Why not include both the ability to allow us to let others know we're considering their offer (and also another option to let them know in x hours or x days we'll make a decision) and allow us to offer on multiple other trades?

2 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Yeah.  It would be especially nice if there were an option to communicate "I'm considering your offer" and "I'd like to accept but I have too many dragons, please be patient while they hatch/mature/are abandonable"

Exactly. Either we would be able to message people directly on Dragon Cave or be able to have our forum accounts directly connected/linked from our scroll. I've had it happen once or twice where someone offered on my trade, but I couldn't accept because they were egg locked, but I was only able to track one of them down on the forums via name search to let them know I wanted their offer, but couldn't accept because they were locked.

It would also be a nice way to ask for clarification on people simply putting 'offers' in the want section of the trade since I prefer having a specific request to hunt for so I'm less likely to be wasting my time hunting something they don't actually want.

1 hour ago, Myoukin said:

The problem is that this isn't what's happening and that's why people are saying the trader has all the power.

Just... This. We can discuss forever what *should* happen in the hub, what people expect in the hub, common courtesy and what people think is supposed to happen in the hub... But the *fact* is that there is a very real issue with offers just being left hanging for an unreasonable amount of time, with some users seemingly posting trades and then not even checking DC for days at a time, or seeing offers and just ignoring them or not declining or taking any action at all. In a perfect world every single trader would respond in some way (decline, accept, whatever) when they see an offer, and every single offerer would keep their offer up long enough for the trader to see it and respond. This isn't a perfect world and that's not how it happens, which is what this suggestion might help with.

1 hour ago, KageSora said:

Another thing that would be beneficial in a timed trade is that everybody has a different idea of what is a reasonable amount of time to respond.  Some people expect a response within an hour and get angry if they don't get that--never mind that they have no way of knowing if the trader has even seen their offer.  Some people think a few hours is fine, but get upset if people take longer than that to decide which offer they want to select.  Some people genuinely don't care because they trust that most of the time the trade isn't forgotten and it's the person just trying to decide if they want to take the offer or not--especially if it's an offer on something very rare where the trader may have multiple very good offers they're trying to decide between.

A time-restricted trade would allow a standardized limit--sure I might consider a day or two reasonable because what if the trader is busy or had something come up or is torn between my offer and another?  But clearly other people think that less than a few hours is the only reasonable time to respond.  A trade that auto-expires within a set limited number of hours says "this is what the trader considers a reasonable amount of time for them to respond to you" so that you know beforehand.  Sure the trade might still be left to languish until expiration if something comes up, but gives a quicker look to the possible offerers what timeframe the trader is working within.

This too, especially that italicized part in the first line. Some users will happily keep their offers up for 24 hours or longer, maybe they realize the trader may be at work or sleeping or whatever. Some users will cancel an offer if there is no response in an hour or two. Some traders (like me) won't even post a trade unless they know they'll be able to check it often, while others will post a trade and then be offline for a full day. Having an optional time-restricted trade feature would help connect the people who work in compatible ways, ie if you know you don't want your offer hanging you can focus on the faster-timed trades and know you'll have some sort of response in that time. 

46 minutes ago, Myoukin said:

Exactly. Either we would be able to message people directly on Dragon Cave or be able to have our forum accounts directly connected/linked from our scroll. 

Unfortunately direct communication on DC is a no-go because of things beyond TJ's control, but many users use dragon names to give their forum name or contact info as a work-around. I would *love* some more options for trades, I'd think a 'considering' button would be most helpful but I'd also love a 'would accept but you are locked', I know I've left offers sitting for awhile if I can't accept because they are locked but I definitely want to accept.