Velvetie

Pink Sapphire mechanism

I am still struggling to get my hands on a pair of CB pinks as well, i didnt even find a single pink in the AP yet that i could grab and i dont have the time to stalk it for hours too

Hell, looking at the trading hub, i doubt i could even breed a 2G West Prize to attempt to get a pair or just one (so far i only got prizekin, rude)

17 hours ago, Tini said:

As it  was explained to me, if all the old stuff flooded it would've screwed ratios up real bad and made them super scarce once the flood was over. I'm of mixed opinions on if there should've been a flood with that in mind. They flooded insomuch as like, one of each was popping up on the hourly, unlike all the unaffected breeds.

This is 100% the issue. The AP mechanic itself is not the problem. The issues people experience with pink Sapphires root back to the ratio system being outdated and very broken, in desperate need of an overhaul. Sapphires should've flooded, and perhaps most importantly, Sapphires should have become more common permanently. But the current ratio system is so broken... it'd be difficult. This is also the issue with Gemshards and Cantors, nevermind all the issues unrelated to the birthday release that ratios create.

A Spahire Flood in the Cave does not equal a Saphire flood in the AP, so that helps the demand on CB Pinks none at all.

I can only repeat myself.

Edited by Nalyua

52 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

This is 100% the issue. The AP mechanic itself is not the problem. The issues people experience with pink Sapphires root back to the ratio system being outdated and very broken, in desperate need of an overhaul. Sapphires should've flooded, and perhaps most importantly, Sapphires should have become more common permanently. But the current ratio system is so broken... it'd be difficult. This is also the issue with Gemshards and Cantors, nevermind all the issues unrelated to the birthday release that ratios create.

The AP mechanic is the problem. We could have Sapphires flooding the cave all day long, but that wouldn't do any good to anyone who wants to breed a lineage with them.

2 minutes ago, UnicornMaiden said:

The AP mechanic is the problem. We could have Sapphires flooding the cave all day long, but that wouldn't do any good to anyone who wants to breed a lineage with them.

Nor will it result in all these CBs going as Pinks to the AP.

4 minutes ago, Nalyua said:

Nor will it result in all these CBs going as Pinks to the AP.

To be fair, the more common a breed is, the more likely it is to find CB eggs of that breed in the AP. If I check the AP right now, most of the common cave blocker breeds in there are CB. People do pick up things from the cave and abandon them for various reasons, but obviously when a breed (in this case Sapphires) is already in high demand due to another new variant, this is not going to happen nearly enough. So making them considerably more common would probably technically help, but there are obviously still other issues with the whole mechanism such as what happens with lineages. 

31 minutes ago, Nalyua said:

A Spahire Flood in the Cave does not equal a Saphire flood in the AP, so that helps the demand on CB Pinks none at all.

There are a lot of people that catch and release multiple waves of new releases while they flood to spread the love. Knowing this, I have a feeling that more would have done this in the event that sapphires flooded and we had the pinks as abandon only. It's so easy to find new release CBs in the ap only a few days after their release. So yes, it would have equated to a decent number of CB pink sapphires in the ap, and it WOULD have helped the cb pink demand. 

Their current demand will go down. The more people panic to get them right now, the higher they will trade for. Also, people are buying a lot of market ones to abandon to the AP since it's hard to catch them in the biomes at the moment, further causing there to be less tradeable CBs on the hub. 

Edited by schenanigans

4 hours ago, schenanigans said:

There are a lot of people that catch and release multiple waves of new releases while they flood to spread the love. Knowing this, I have a feeling that more would have done this in the event that sapphires flooded and we had the pinks as abandon only. It's so easy to find new release CBs in the ap only a few days after their release. So yes, it would have equated to a decent number of CB pink sapphires in the ap, and it WOULD have helped the cb pink demand. 

Yeah this exactly. I'm gonna reference halloween, because there are multiple halloween salts with over 100, all of which had to be obtained that first year, so all of which had to be generated in that 24 hour window. And that's just in terms of the mega hordes from iou stuff, I think I made out with about 20 pitfires from a couple trades and nabbing them in the ap. A flood a sapphires would 100% have meant a ton of abandoned cb pinks that were also tradeable. As it is, pretty much every sapphire abandoned early on were market born, and therefore whoever got it could either keep it or toss it back. So of course they kept it. If sapphires flooded I would've filled my other 6 slots I had with them and tossed them back, twice. That would've been 12 from me alone. And there's dozens of people just like me that would've done the same thing. 

Instead there's just a few handful of cb sapphs in general.

4 hours ago, schenanigans said:

Their current demand will go down. The more people panic to get them right now, the higher they will trade for. Also, people are buying a lot of market ones to abandon to the AP since it's hard to catch them in the biomes at the moment, further causing there to be less tradeable CBs on the hub. 

Yeah I'd prefer if people did less market yeeting for that reason lol.

5 hours ago, Nalyua said:

It may not equal a flood, but you can't deny it would be easier to get pink Sapphires. I doubt many would be using a flood to get blues. However, you don't even need a flood (whatever a "flood" means to you with respect to the AP, it's not very well-defined right now); more importantly, Sapphires being more common + a fix in ratios would result in more picked up and abandoned, like for any other common. No, it wouldn't guarantee a flood, but claiming it would "not help at all" is incorrect.

No because a Spahire Flood would at this point more likely lead to lots of Yellows being made.

Hmm... If CB Sapphires flood then people will make Yellows. That's true. And then, they will get their quota. And then when they will catch a CB Sapphire in the cave , what will they do? Trade it? For a time maybe, but other people will get their quota of Yellows as well. So eventually a trade fodder will be um abandoned? And Sapphires will turn back into misclicks lets say? What do we do with misclicks? We often abandon them.

I honestly doubt that, sorry but in all the years I played this game, just nope. Not to any extent that will put a stop to the ridiculous trading with CB Pinks. Besides, if we have a flood now, then they will become rarer later again, so your point is moot.

During the first days (~ 1 -1.5 Week) after release I saw maybe 4-5 Pinks an hour. Now I see roughly 3-4 a day! And of the 7 Pinks I cought so far only one was CB.

I am not saying drop the AP mechanic. But I still strongly suggest another way to obtain the pinks.

Edited by Nalyua

If doing away with the abandon mechanic is not going to happen (?) then my ranking of solutions is:

1. low views (logical!)

2. consistent flood in the cave

16 minutes ago, Nalyua said:

of the 7 Pinks I cought so far only one was CB.

Congrats on that one! I am CB-less.

Edited by natli

The Low Views as addition to AP seems to be the most sensible one, since it fits the lore of the Pinks being lonely.

16 hours ago, schenanigans said:

Repeating this for emphasis.  No, pink sapphires are NOT "the new stats", that's borderline fearmongering lol - also, from what I've seen personally CB pinks tend to not regularly trade for metals or stats.  Sure, they did upon release, and there are still some one-off cases, but as Schen said this is 100% not where they'll be sitting on the rarity scale further down the line.

1 hour ago, Falorni said:

Repeating this for emphasis.  No, pink sapphires are NOT "the new stats", that's borderline fearmongering lol - also, from what I've seen personally CB pinks tend to not regularly trade for metals or stats.  Sure, they did upon release, and there are still some one-off cases, but as Schen said this is 100% not where they'll be sitting on the rarity scale further down the line.

Quoted for truth. I've traded for some 2gen PBs and didn't have to offer much.

Bred =/= CB

And I am only saying what I personally see going on with the trades. I tried trading multiple CB Rares just for one CB Pink. And got nothing.

You may be defining "rare" differently than how others define "rare". Trios, Xenos, Zyus, and some others spawn regularly enough that they aren't exactly rare, more like very uncommon. You can't just walk into cave and find one, but usually a few of each turn up in cave every hour. The market prices on the trios in particular are not a good reference for their rarity. The only breeds that I personally would call "rare" as CBs are Staterae, Golds, Silvers, the unbreedables, and maybe Coppers.

Unlike most of the "very uncommons", which usually are locked to one or two biomes, Sapphires are spread out between all six. This contributes to the appearance of them spawning less often, as they're easy to miss if you're watching the wrong biome. They're also in much higher demand than the others right now because of the new alts, so they get scooped up immediately. Despite that, I have still seen multiple Sapphires in cave since the flood of Alstro Florets stopped. Conversely, I have not seen any CB Stats or metals (except for some Coppers) since the release, though I know that others may have had different luck.

All of this isn't to say that I'm against alternate methods of creating pinks or any other topics that have been brought up here. I do think that it would help nudge things along so that collectors can move on to other projects, at the very least. But I also do think that it will settle down in time. They aren't a limited release; they're going to be available forever. This is just an unusual release because it mostly consisted of existing breeds, not new ones, meaning that there was already an idea of how rare they would/should be in players' minds.

Edited by 11th

46 minutes ago, 11th said:

Conversely, I have not seen any CB Stats or metals (except for some Coppers) since the release, though I know that others may have had different luck.

It's definitely a matter of timing. Yesterday my friend saw 2 golds and caught one silver, and I also caught another silver.

Interestingly, I offered said CB silver on a CB pink sapphire trade asking for CB metals/stat/ND, and did not get it because presumably someone offered something better. CB pink sapphires definitely trade for CB metals right now, while bred ones are considerably easier. Of course it is going to get better with time, but it's not true that their value has dropped just yet. 

Chiming in to say that since the release dropped, I've caught 2 CB Golds and a CB Stat, and I've yet to catch a single pink saph from the AP, be it lineaged or CB, and it certainly isn't from a lack of trying. I was even tempted to trade one of those for a CB Pink Sapphire, but from what I'm hearing, it's not even a guarantee I'd get the saph if I offered it. It's been two and a half weeks since the release dropped, I shouldn't have to think trading a CB Gold is my best bet of obtaining a CB common.

Edited by Dragonalassa

I have also caught 2 cb golds since the release and have tried to trade them for one cb pink sapphire and NADA. No one would bite.

I'm a bit confused by the arguments in this thread that state that when demand finally goes down after the release, that some of these problems won't be problems anymore and getting Pinks will be easier. When the fervor dies, will catching CB Sapphires be easier? Definitely! But those are blue. Will it be easier to find Sapphires to turn yellow? Sure, but those will then be yellow! This thread is specifically about Pink Sapphires, which can only be created by abandoning yours to the AP, so if demand drops, doesn't that inherently mean there will then be fewer Pink Sapphires available? They aren't normal eggs where, when demand drops, they sit in the cave/AP a little longer and those with slower connections can snag them. If demand for Pinks drop, doesn't that mean fewer people remember/are interested in the Pinks, which means fewer are going to be bred, bought, caught and willfully abandoned? And even if the influx of CB blue Sapphires then rises, once those are all snagged and are turned yellow and pink or kept blue, doesn't that mean they'll become rarer again after that due to the ratios and this problem cycles indefinitely? The problem with Pinks seems like an inherent issue with the chosen game play mechanic, rather than something that will sort it itself out. Personally, I agree there needs to be a second way to create them, as I don't feel this mechanic alone really works for DC.

40 minutes ago, Silverwatermist said:

I'm a bit confused by the arguments in this thread that state that when demand finally goes down after the release, that some of these problems won't be problems anymore and getting Pinks will be easier. When the fervor dies, will catching CB Sapphires be easier? Definitely! But those are blue. Will it be easier to find Sapphires to turn yellow? Sure, but those will then be yellow! This thread is specifically about Pink Sapphires, which can only be created by abandoning yours to the AP, so if demand drops, doesn't that inherently mean there will then be fewer Pink Sapphires available? They aren't normal eggs where, when demand drops, they sit in the cave/AP a little longer and those with slower connections can snag them. If demand for Pinks drop, doesn't that mean fewer people remember/are interested in the Pinks, which means fewer are going to be bred, bought, caught and willfully abandoned? And even if the influx of CB blue Sapphires then rises, once those are all snagged and are turned yellow and pink or kept blue, doesn't that mean they'll become rarer again after that due to the ratios and this problem cycles indefinitely? The problem with Pinks seems like an inherent issue with the chosen game play mechanic, rather than something that will sort it itself out. Personally, I agree there needs to be a second way to create them, as I don't feel this mechanic alone really works for DC.

When blue sapphs sit in the cave, people will pick them up and then toss them to ap, generating pinks, just to be nice. That's what's being said. I dunno why people are saying there should be a flood now, that would just screw everything up, but in the course of DC, new stuff eventually just sits in the cave. Cantors were sitting in the cave before birthday. When anything common sits in the cave, people pick it up just to toss it, that's why there's been a million blazebacks in the ap, I've gotten 20 cb from the ap. Sapphs might never reach that level of common, but they will get picked up and tossed. 

People are still going to breed sapphires. They just might not go through the hassle of personally abandoning them which I see as a plus. Turning every sapphire pink is not a helpful thing imo.

The ratio thing is not. Really how it works. Or else everything would cycle infinitely worse ratios. I'm not going to pretend to understand ratios 100% but, if it did what you feared, cantors would've never been sitting in cave regularly. Ratio problems have nothing to do with if pinks are a good or bad mechanic. 

2 hours ago, Tini said:

When blue sapphs sit in the cave, people will pick them up and then toss them to ap, generating pinks, just to be nice. That's what's being said. I dunno why people are saying there should be a flood now, that would just screw everything up, but in the course of DC, new stuff eventually just sits in the cave. Cantors were sitting in the cave before birthday. When anything common sits in the cave, people pick it up just to toss it, that's why there's been a million blazebacks in the ap, I've gotten 20 cb from the ap. Sapphs might never reach that level of common, but they will get picked up and tossed. 

People are still going to breed sapphires. They just might not go through the hassle of personally abandoning them which I see as a plus. Turning every sapphire pink is not a helpful thing imo.

The ratio thing is not. Really how it works. Or else everything would cycle infinitely worse ratios. I'm not going to pretend to understand ratios 100% but, if it did what you feared, cantors would've never been sitting in cave regularly. Ratio problems have nothing to do with if pinks are a good or bad mechanic. 

I don't think there should be a flood either (unless something with the ratios had been changed beforehand, I guess?) and also agree that I don't want every Sapphire turned Pink.That wouldn't at all help those who want the CBs to stay blue for their projects! I'm just uncertain how demand for these eggs is actually going to play out, because while I agree people will toss some CBs to the AP to be nice when the Sapphires become more available in the cave, once they DO become more available, people are going to want to be snagging them for blue lineages and to get their scroll goals for yellow too, and with so many people still fighting over Sapphire eggs in the AP right now and continuously breeding their own... when IS demand going to go down? The timeline's not the same for as other releases, due to the mechanic for the Pinks, so I don't know how sure we can be that they'll become easy enough to catch, so I can't see a reason to dismiss people's worry over that. Personally, I don't really believe Sapphires are going to still be commons after this or that this is comparable to other releases, but time will tell.

I also didn't mean to imply that ratios are why the Pink mechanic should be changed. Sorry that wasn't clear. I just think the choice of giving a dragon this abandoning mechanic, and that mechanic alone, is inherently not working well for a site where the main mechanics are 1) collecting, and 2) building lineages. Right now, at least, Pink Sapphires are very hard to even collect, AND you can't build lineages with them on your own scroll, so they aren't hitting either of those two checkboxes to players' satisfaction, and that's why this discussion is going on. To me, Pinks actually seem like an in-between of the un-breedables (Dinos, Cheese, Paper) and a regular dragon: You can find them rarely (very rarely at the moment) if you purely want to collect them like a Dino, but even though you CAN breed them like a regular dragon, they never breed true unless you give up your egg, so you can't build lineages with them. So for your own scroll, they're essentially just there to add to your collection unless you want them to breed a blue/yellow Sapphire or an egg that matches their mate, since you can never breed Pinks for yourself. Which fits the lore, I know! But as a game play mechanic, it seems off compared to everything else on the site. Nothing wrong with trying out something new, but to me, it doesn't fit with what people often want to do with their dragons, so it feels off-center to what we know works well on DC. It makes sense to me that players will worry about how that's going to unfold as it goes on since we've never quite seen this before.

Edited by Silverwatermist