verwvberbvetra

Pink Sapphire mechanism

Those are going to be the roughest - not least because everyone is after CBs in general. But it will calm down.

It's been over 2 weeks now, things usually calm down within a week.

I am however seeing less and less Pink Saphs in the AP.

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That screenie of what people with very slow internet is awful - but the problem would apply to ANY AP egg. I remember it well.

You are right. It makes it hard to hunt ANYTHING. I have a better connection with my desktop instead of my mobile so I finally have my cb pair (drop-trade via the AP). But I feel with people who don't have this option and are stuck to an AP without images showing properly.

Does naming a gendered blue sapphire prevent it from turning yellow? Mine now has more than 4k overall views, but is still blue.

ETA: Never mind. She finally changed color! Yay!

Edited by deblogan

Not strictly related but I'm pretty sure the AP images not loading is on DC's side, not the user internet!  A lot of ppl have been struggling w/ it for a good bit

Eh, I think it's a mix. If you've historically had AP not loading issues, its at least a little bad net. However, loads of people that don't normally get 'egg' have been cause of all the issues. Including me lol

The difference is that I - who now have a good connection - can get the images with a refresh. Those with a connection like I used to have - get the same x after a refresh instead.

It is much worse lately though, yes. If I now had the connection I used to have, I wouldn't have been able to play at all.

My thoughts on some things brought up in the thread:

1. CB blues not being in the AP anymore is not at all a big deal. It's one easy-to-grab common you'll have to rely on the biomes for, and hunting in the AP for one specific CB common isn't convenient anyway. Really not worth complaining about.

2. Pinks will gradually become more common as people get their fill. Even so, it's entirely possible they'll still hold some sort of value permanently, unlike other common NRs. And that's honestly refreshing, to have something hold value that isn't just "dive into the biomes and battle other people there". It spreads something valuable to a different part of the site. That's cool. Adds another way for people to trade for what they'd like, too.

3. People with slow internet have always been at a disadvantage. It's not anything new, and it's unfortunate, but it's also not a fixable issue on DC's side. It's not quite fair to say "well we can't do this because some users have slow internet"; if so, then you'd be completely changing how we get eggs from the biomes and AP!

@KrazyKarp I strongly disagree. I have been trying the AP for Pink Saphs since release day. And I am seeing less and less of them going through the AP: We DID have the effect that many people abandoned some to give something back in the honor of release. ANd AGAIN I stress that many of us want to do certain lineages or need CBs. I have so far cought some 7ish Pinks since release (yes I have good internet, still missing most) and only ONE was the lineage I needed the rest were completely useless to me so I gifted some away.

Also the bad connection being an issue for a long time HAS been adressed. By introducing the trading system and the market. Now it is possible to save up for most everything and simply buy it on the market. And you can exchange via a safe trade instead of punting stuff through the AP with the chance of it getting lost.

Edited by Nalyua

2 hours ago, Nalyua said:

@KrazyKarp I strongly disagree. I have been trying the AP for Pink Saphs since release day. And I am seeing less and less of them going through the AP: We DID have the effect that many people abandoned some to give something back in the honor of release.

I was one of those, though not till we had worked out the mechanic. And so my Sapphires were therefore all on CD. Yesterday they were off, and I bred them all again to the AP. Think about the mechanics here, before saying it only happened that once. I shall breed them frequently, but I can't do it every day...

2 hours ago, Nalyua said:

Also the bad connection being an issue for a long time HAS been adressed. By introducing the trading system and the market. Now it is possible to save up for most everything and simply buy it on the market. And you can exchange via a safe trade instead of punting stuff through the AP with the chance of it getting lost.

Indeed. But even so, the fact that some players cannot see the eggs in the AP will remain an issue - one that TJ cannot fix - and when there are eggs that are hard to get any other way, it is kind to think of those people.

On 6/3/2021 at 3:36 AM, Charu said:

cool Blue Sapphire lineages instantly become changed if the first person that grabs the egg doesn't like the lineage.

This made me think so much. I have 3 lineages with blue Sapphires and I've just realised that I will not breed them for AP anymore. Because it is pointless. 

Personally I'm in favor of abandoning the AP mechanism in favor of switching to low views.

@Fuzzbucket so was I, however I think many people won't keep breeding and dropping Pinks on a regular basis. Which means that there will be less and less of them. And again this does not adress the issue of CBs which are nigh impossible to get atm.

I am not saying it only happened once, but generally people tend to have it in the forefront during release time and I can speak for myself I will probably not remember to do it every week for all eternity, and I assume many others will as well.

And yes if you can't see AP eggs you are stumped. That is why I feel that offering some opportunity to pink them without relying on good internet or valuables to trade for them is very important. Low views are still true to "canon" seeing as the pink ones are supposed to be lonely.

5 minutes ago, natli said:

This made me think so much. I have 3 lineages with blue Sapphires and I've just realised that I will not breed them for AP anymore. Because it is pointless. 

Personally I'm in favor of abandoning the AP mechanism in favor of switching to low views.

Infinis, whose creation they are has said that will not happen as the primary mechanism. And you can breed cool blue lines to the hub, or offer them in trade threads.

4 minutes ago, Nalyua said:

And yes if you can't see AP eggs you are stumped. That is why I feel that offering some opportunity to pink them without relying on good internet or valuables to trade for them is very important. Low views are still true to "canon" seeing as the pink ones are supposed to be lonely.

The point with suggestions trying to deal with with that  issue is that these players cannot see ANY eggs in the AP - so what will you do to help them find the golds and prizes I dump there, for instance ? For those players, trade threads and the hub are the way to go. But "Low views are true to canon" doesn't jibe with Infinis' views on this - she has said she might consider that as a rarely occurring alternative - but not as the main one. The AP mechanic is not going to go away.

I never said it has to go away, did I say so anywhere? I do not mind the mechanic of the AP, I only mind it being the ONLY way.

So I would appreciate an alternative (and yes I do not mind if it was harder, more time consuming, and not always successful) way to get the pinks. One that does not rely on the charity of others AND good internet.

As of now you have to have good internet to grab the egg, someone being nice and abandoning something, and being lucky to be at the AP at the right time, and the lineage being what you are looking for. Honestly that is a lot of what ifs, so there are reasons why I dislike AP being the only way.

Either because you have bad internets or need certain lineages for your game play.

With bad internets you can't do anything about the AP, but most things can be saved up for at the market, and as far as I can say prizes are fairly easy to get via trading, many are even given away for free, there are a lot of lineages floating around. And Prizes are obviously not meant to be available as CB aside of the Raffle (or other games), so unlike Saphires they are indeed "Holidays". Which makes it ok that CBs are not available via the Market and not generally available. However this does not applay to Saphires!

Edited by Nalyua

something about the reasoning of "i wanted to give teh AP something nice" doesnt sit well to me... 

of course, nothing against infinis themself, but it does feel kinda biased? especially since it COMPLETELY takes away pretty blue sapphire lineages that others enjoyed in the past that they can no longer find in the AP. giving players something "nice" , but the tradeoff is something else other players might have enjoyed is lost. 

they aren't completely lost, auto-abandon keeps them blue... but that still seems so weird to me? why does that happen? but still, as mentioned before, if someone doesnt like the lineage themself or isnt going to keep it and they re-abandon it, then that pretty blue lineage is lost... its really unfortunate.

and also, putting something "nice" on the AP feels really artificial if this is the way its done. i dont want to seem disrespectful but, a lot of the sapphires being bred are really messy (and even if they aren't, i usually dont have much interest in 2g PB dragons and am somewhat picky with lineages), and personally i don't have any interest in keeping them at all. its akin to hybrid fails to me, just trash people dump that clutters the ap.

and yes, i do know that all of this is very much personal taste, but hey, i just thought i'd share my views on why i HATE this mechanic so much. 

Edited by lexi_

35 minutes ago, lexi_ said:

of course, nothing against infinis themself, but it does feel kinda biased? especially since it COMPLETELY takes away pretty blue sapphire lineages that others enjoyed in the past that they can no longer find in the AP. giving players something "nice" , but the tradeoff is something else other players might have enjoyed is lost. 

they aren't completely lost, auto-abandon keeps them blue... but that still seems so weird to me? why does that happen? but still, as mentioned before, if someone doesnt like the lineage themself or isnt going to keep it and they re-abandon it, then that pretty blue lineage is lost... its really unfortunate.

It happens so that we can still have blues in the ap. And no, those aren't the only options, you can toss them in a gifting thread or channel in discord. Or free on hub. Once people stop treating pink sapphs like they're metals, blues won't get snapped up and re-abandoned so fast.

Just now, Tini said:

Once people stop treating pink sapphs like they're metals, blues won't get snapped up and re-abandoned so fast.

i know that there are a lot of people like me who are picky with lineages they find on the AP and abandon something if they dont like it. it will still happen. 

Artist wanted to bring something nice to AP, but accidentally created a new staterae from otherwise common breed. While the first is an understandable intention, the latter seems more like an unexpected outcome. I haven't seen many releases in recent years, that's true, but I've never seen a CB gold or 2g prize/salt being offered for a single CB NR. And that demand isn't sometimes satisfied: I think I've seen one CB gold being offered two or three times. I doubt that the demand will lower soon or to the previous levels. 

4 minutes ago, Nakti said:

And that demand isn't sometimes satisfied: I think I've seen one CB gold being offered two or three times. I doubt that the demand will lower soon or to the previous levels. 

That's definitely true, I've also seen multiple CB metal trades sit around for a long while. 

1 hour ago, lexi_ said:

something about the reasoning of "i wanted to give teh AP something nice" doesnt sit well to me... 

and also, putting something "nice" on the AP feels really artificial if this is the way its done. i dont want to seem disrespectful but, a lot of the sapphires being bred are really messy (and even if they aren't, i usually dont have much interest in 2g PB dragons and am somewhat picky with lineages), and personally i don't have any interest in keeping them at all. its akin to hybrid fails to me, just trash people dump that clutters the ap.

and yes, i do know that all of this is very much personal taste, but hey, i just thought i'd share my views on why i HATE this mechanic so much. 

It doesn't sit well with me either. I guess I can see the perspective of wanting to do something special, if Infinis found the ap useless previously. But for me it is quite the opposite, I much prefer hunting in the ap unless I'm looking for specific rares that are very unlikely to pop up there. So to me this isn't really "adding" something nice to the ap that didn't exist before, it's just a tradeoff (pink sapphires at the cost of CB blue sapphires) that adds an extra step of difficulty that I personally find unnecessary. Plus, it does indeed seem like a shame that blue lineages that someone might have liked will always be turned pink if someone tosses the egg back. I mean, I pick up ap eggs and toss them back all the time, surely others do that too. If anything I think most ap eggs are reabandoned at least once.

1 hour ago, lexi_ said:

This. It doesn't feel like the AP got something nice. It feels like a tradeoff that has inadvertently resulted in a hassle.

So did the rates not get increased when the new variants dropped?

Because I've only seen one single cb sapphire (and similar luck with other cb variants).

It seems to me if there were 2x as many sprites to collect of everything but keeping the ratios the same would inevitably make them ultra rare as people try and fail to catch even one?

Why weren't they treated as a new release, and the rates increased for a while? Sapphires suffer the most too because they're not just in one biome.

I don't think the mechanism needs to change, but surely the drop rates can be increased. I never complain about drops but... it's been 10 days and I'm starting to give up on hunting. I just want 1 yellow pair.

Or maybe they did drop some, and then the rates were reduced, but I wasn't around that night?

Personally I'd love to keep the mechanic but I'd love a release from this refreshing hell I feel stuck in. Just increase the rates so people can actually see them every once in a while. 

3 hours ago, Painter said:

So did the rates not get increased when the new variants dropped?

Because I've only seen one single cb sapphire (and similar luck with other cb variants).

It seems to me if there were 2x as many sprites to collect of everything but keeping the ratios the same would inevitably make them ultra rare as people try and fail to catch even one?

Why weren't they treated as a new release, and the rates increased for a while? Sapphires suffer the most too because they're not just in one biome.

I don't think the mechanism needs to change, but surely the drop rates can be increased. I never complain about drops but... it's been 10 days and I'm starting to give up on hunting. I just want 1 yellow pair.

Or maybe they did drop some, and then the rates were reduced, but I wasn't around that night?

Personally I'd love to keep the mechanic but I'd love a release from this refreshing hell I feel stuck in. Just increase the rates so people can actually see them every once in a while. 

As it  was explained to me, if all the old stuff flooded it would've screwed ratios up real bad and made them super scarce once the flood was over. I'm of mixed opinions on if there should've been a flood with that in mind. They flooded insomuch as like, one of each was popping up on the hourly, unlike all the unaffected breeds.

hate ratios.

It seems to me then that the ratio allowed should be increased when alternate colors are added... there’s no reason for them to stay at the old ratio when there’s new variants. Either way they’re super rare now because demand has increased like 10x for each breed as everyone tries to get pairs. Surely if they’ve accidentally become ultra rare when they’re not supposed to, the ratio could just be adjusted to allow for more adults before they start to lower in frequency in the drops? :( I just don’t see why they’d have to stay at the same limited ratios when two extra sprites were added, which are effectively two new dragons. But they’re limited in numbers as if they were one dragon? Even though people will collect them 3x as much now?

It’s just not fun when you can’t catch any for weeks at a time even when you are around the day of the release. Or I should say, seeing them often and missing them is still fun, cause you know there’s a chance, but seeing almost zero for weeks means people eventually have to give up. If they weren’t intended to be ultra rare basically uncatchable it shouldn't stay that way just on principle. I don’t think so anyway.

7 hours ago, Painter said:

I think that is what happened. I missed it too and now I can't catch any, or any Cantors or Gemshards, either. I think the same situation exists for all of them. Supply has not increased but demand has skyrocketed. I have seen only 2 Cantors, no Sapphires, and no Gemshards in the biomes since the release.

A Spahire Flood in the Cave does not equal a Saphire flood in the AP, so that helps the demand on CB Pinks none at all.