CCatspaw

ANSWERED:Tired of players scamming trading

12 minutes ago, Roseora said:

I know everyones already said it's probably not possible and is due to OP misclikcing or misunderstanding or something, but can we give them the benefit of the doubt?

IF this were an actual bug I'd think at least one other person would've come across it by now. Given that the OP posted this thread nearly two weeks ago and has yet to give any screenshots as asked despite being on the forums recently does kind of point to it being user error. If it's a bug it's not going to help to privately message someone, proof would need to be posted so it could be investigated. So far no one else has had anything like this happen.

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

IF this were an actual bug I'd think at least one other person would've come across it by now. Given that the OP posted this thread nearly two weeks ago and has yet to give any screenshots as asked despite being on the forums recently does kind of point to it being user error. If it's a bug it's not going to help to privately message someone, proof would need to be posted so it could be investigated. So far no one else has had anything like this happen.

I know, I just thought we could help OP to either prove what they're claiming or understand what the problem is. 

21 minutes ago, Roseora said:

I know everyones already said it's probably not possible and is due to OP misclikcing or misunderstanding or something, but can we give them the benefit of the doubt?

OP, if you think there's an exploit you can show someone; make a dummy trade and send it to me or someone else who's happy to do this and try it yourself if you know how they're doing it.

It would help to also have screen recording software; APowersoft is pretty good I use it for stuff like this in games all the time. That would make it not only your word, but with evidence and a witness and get the problem fixed. :)

DM me if you want to, i'm online for the next few hours.

5 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Exactly this. I posted to show exactly whats screenshots would be needed to prove it had ever happened - a set like the set I posted would do it; you don't need fancy software - but not a word. Sorry - but benefit of the doubt or not - I think they have realised they made a mistake here.

Ye ok.. just trying to be nice in case they were still upset about it.

If they are still upset, they need to show us the thing happening.

I still do doubt that this trade changing without the trader getting a notice seems off, but there are people trying to scam in trades or at least hoping to take advantage of players thinking that other people are honest in their trading.

Although it is the responsibility of the person accepting the trade to check the offered stuff I do find it disrespectful knowingly offer "similar but not quite it" stuff on trades.

I have been offered lineaged eggs several times when asking for CBs specifically. I get it if someone is upset that they can't offer on a trade they like really really want because they do not have what is asked for. Been there myself. In fact most anyone was I think. But this is annoying.

Today I asked for 2 Snuggly/skittish CB eggs for my CB Copper. Now no idea if it's fair, but there it is. I had someone offering me an egg and a hatchie, repeatedly while I was sleeping. I almost accepted the offer because bred eggs would show too much time at this point since people are only just starting to get adults. But the hatchie looked off so I checked it. It was a Lumina!

They do look similar enough to the snuggly one to almost fool me and I do play since a long time.

If it was a honest mistake they would not have offered this hatchie repeatedly, so I can unly assume they were trying to trick me into thinking this was a Snuggly hatchie.

Or they only had one egg so added something else to make up for it? It's not necessarily malicious.

Plenty of people aren't on the forums and dont always know what the terms mean like caveborn. Is it possible some people are trying to pull a fast one? Probably. But that shouldn't be the first assumption when something isn't exactly what you want/they said. Most people aren't doing so. This is why you always check things in trade first. 

I think it's pretty common to offer similar things on trades if you don't have exactly what the other person is asking for. Plenty of people have done it to me, and I've done it myself. Perhaps some people do it maliciously, but I think most of the time the thinking is more along the lines of, "I don't have quite what they want, but maybe they'll like this instead." I pretty much take it for granted that people will look at what I'm offering instead of accepting it blindly.

Where I do see more of a problem is people lying about what they are posting in the Hub, like saying they have a CB when they're posting a messy. But in that instance I don't know know if it's a deliberate lie or if people are just throwing around terms they've seen other people using without knowing what they mean (which isn't good either, but at least it's not malicious in that case).

Never assume malice or ill intent when you have had no actual communication that would confirm it. It's perfectly normal (and acceptable) for people to offer things other than exactly what is being asked for, in hopes what they offer will be 'good enough'. I almost exclusively ask for messies when I post trades, and I will *always* get clean 2-3rd gen offers, that's not disrespectful or malicious that's just people taking a chance and hoping. That's perfectly okay to do and I wouldn't ever want people to feel they shouldn't offer just because they don't have the exact thing asked for, I'm sure I'm not the only one who may accept an offer not exactly matching what I asked for if it's the best offer I get!

And yeah, the thing about 'lying' when posting a trade is that it really can't be proven they are deliberately lying and not simply misunderstanding what a term means. I've seen people post '2g's that were actually much higher-gens but because one of the parents was CB they genuinely thought it would count as 2g. 

14 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

And yeah, the thing about 'lying' when posting a trade is that it really can't be proven they are deliberately lying and not simply misunderstanding what a term means. I've seen people post '2g's that were actually much higher-gens but because one of the parents was CB they genuinely thought it would count as 2g. 

Ive done that one. Though it was actually a breeding mistake where I clicked the wrong mate and didn't realize till later. Opps.

Normally I'd not be wonderung as well.

But I think offering something bred of the same breed when it's specifically asked for CB or this case of a Lumina which looks really really similar to what I am asking is at least weird.

I mean I did get some offers offering like really different valuables to what I was asking, so I was like "yes obviously they do not have what I was asking for". Like offering a metallic with a really good lineage or a prize with a really good lineage when I was asking for like a CB Cantor or so.

42 minutes ago, Nalyua said:

But I think offering something bred of the same breed when it's specifically asked for CB or this case of a Lumina which looks really really similar to what I am asking is at least weird.

I mean I did get some offers offering like really different valuables to what I was asking, so I was like "yes obviously they do not have what I was asking for". Like offering a metallic with a really good lineage or a prize with a really good lineage when I was asking for like a CB Cantor or so.

If they haven't the breed unlocked - they actually may not know what it's called.

@Fuzzbucket yes though I checked their scroll, was similar to mine with Platin Trophy and Joinedate over 10 years ago and over 3000 dragons. They would have even been able to offer what I asked for. According to their scroll they also know what Thuweds, Salts and prizes are.

So I am pretty sure they know what's what. I would not have been annoyed otherwise. Had they been new I would not have commented on this. Or if they had like offered a prize or metallic, because that would have been despite not what I asked not something a new player might confuse for what they actually were asking for. The fact that the Lumina hatchie looks so similar and was offered repeatedly was kind of offputting though.🤷‍♀️

I mean I do not have any proof obviously. It was just a lot of things coming together that rubbed me the wrong way on that one.

Like I said it happens to me too that I really want to offer on a trade even though I do not have what the person wants. And I do understand that with like 4 same eggs on scroll you can sometimes accidentally offer say the bred one instead of the CB.

Edited by Nalyua

Unfortunately, DC mods have taken a firm stance that they won't do anything about "scams", misinformation, etc. It's true that there are people who will knowingly try to fake you out, but there's no way of blocking them on-site. I know someone who was scammed for nothing more than a messy hatchie, where the trader sent a DM of a photoshopped precog screenie of the wrong gender. You just have to be careful about checking what you accept and who you trade with, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Unfortunately, DC mods have taken a firm stance that they won't do anything about "scams", misinformation, etc. It's true that there are people who will knowingly try to fake you out, but there's no way of blocking them on-site. I know someone who was scammed for nothing more than a messy hatchie, where the trader sent a DM of a photoshopped precog screenie of the wrong gender. You just have to be careful about checking what you accept and who you trade with, I'm afraid.

Yes. Unfortunately, this is "caveat emptor", or "buyer beware". From behind a screen, we can't judge intent, and that's the key. 

Honestly, I've found the Non-Forum Trades too often to a bit of a mess, however, I don't discount it, because a lot of people use it. So what I do, instead, is - when I post a Trade, I post it to show on the Cave Trade and the Forum Trade, and then - ignore everything but the Trade Teleport & Offers Page. This allows me to more easily just "look" at each item and decide if I want to consider it, decline it, etc. 

I don't get caught up in where the offer was made, or if someone makes a goofy offer, or if someone makes an offer I really wanted, but I waited a little longer than they were willing to wait so now the offer was cancelled on their end, etc. I do make a point to log into the forums to see if there are Private Messages from people I know who know things I like who want to arrange something, but that is different. 

I just treat them as (3) different steps in the process and, worst case, it is a dragon pixel game. It can be really frustrating when you are a growing player and collecting and people are being goofy and it is frustrating. And you can say "Well that is easy for you to say, you've been playing for XX years and have this and that and aren't nearly as active as you used to be (and you are older and aren't as invested perhaps)" and I would say "Yes, that may be correct." (Although, in fairness, if I didn't spend more time on life stuff - which I love doing and having that kind of stuff that matters more - I could have had a lot MORE, but I like giving back and poking in more these days), But then I'd challenge you to find that thing that can really shift down the frustration level you feel. Other activities, hobbies, goals, etc.

Because here is the thing - the people who make goofy offers, including those who are purposely malicious and want to trip you up and basically get a what some would consider a steal or a cheat because you trusted, Ok, they got your egg. But now they are in your head controlling your mind and life and emotions. You have given them that power. Do you think they are giving you any thought? Probably not, maybe they gloat for a second or feel really happy or off doing some other sneaky thing, but - don't give them that power. Logic it out, journal it out, think it out, meditate it out, find something that is more meaningful and switch to that, walk away from the computer, or go scream at your walls and punch pillows and take a nap for a bit if it just causes an amygdala hijack (we all have times where something minor just infuriates us beyond reason, we all experience it). But then work to make that not a future trigger by making lists of future plans and current plans to make life better where you are able to better detach even that annoying frustration, shrug, go back to life and come back to the dragon pixel game when you want to blow some time on some mindless fun and get more engaged with the community here.

There are a lot of awesome people who are very generous, fun to talk to, lots of player events that do awesome things to give a lot of really awesome dragons to breed for free or as prizes for games or raffles or nothing other than just a nice message request. These people are the true delights of the game. Go find more of them, even reach out to those you don't know if they say its OK in their Sig/Profile (some of them just DIE and LOVE to breed and gift to people and are super sad when they can't do more of it - seriously, they want to give you so much awesomeness) that it will make trading more of something you do sometimes when you have it, but instead, you get awesome dragons and connection and community and maybe even some cool online people to know or become friends.

That is how you really Win DC.

Edited by Natayah

On 8/27/2021 at 6:51 PM, Nalyua said:

Something similar happened to me. I offered a CB Umbra xeno and wanted a CB Ke'Maro and had someone offer a messy pyro hatchling. Almost accepted because they look so similar but didn't because of the lineage... then I saw it wasn't even a Ke'Maro! 

Not sure how this happens, but I think there is something going on. Someone was offering a CB Aeon for a Green dragon, any lineage, a very good deal. I looked at the lineage, yup, CB. I bred a pair of my Green for a 3eg pb and offered it, checking the Aeon lineage again.

I just came back after a couple of hours and found a very messy Aeon egg on my scroll with the notification that my offer had been accepted. It is certainly nothing I would offer on. I guess I will freeze it. Either I am losing my mind or somebody's manipulating data to make messies appear as CBs.

Either way, it's not good.

@dragongrrl It is very concerning if that can actually happen. I don't know if it is something that TJ could "see" behind the scenes or not, but if you are quite certain that you did check the Aeon lineage again when you made the offer and it was showing as CB, then it might be worth sending him a PM. I'm sure you won't have recorded the dragon code before and after, so won't have real "proof" but he may be able to check anyway.

@dragongrrl What, no, that is scary. I hope other players would report here as well if this happens to someone else. I will at least be extra careful from now on.

51 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

Not sure how this happens, but I think there is something going on. Someone was offering a CB Aeon for a Green dragon, any lineage, a very good deal. I looked at the lineage, yup, CB. I bred a pair of my Green for a 3eg pb and offered it, checking the Aeon lineage again.

I just came back after a couple of hours and found a very messy Aeon egg on my scroll with the notification that my offer had been accepted. It is certainly nothing I would offer on. I guess I will freeze it. Either I am losing my mind or somebody's manipulating data to make messies appear as CBs.

You can PM me if you want me to check on this egg, but I want to make it extremely clear this is NOT possible. Users cannot 'bait and switch' trades like this, and I don't want unnecessary fear spreading. This was likely human error - looking at one trade then offering on another, thinking you checked lineage and didn't, etc.

Thank you Kaini for your offer, but I'm just giving the egg away. Someone will want it.

1 hour ago, dragongrrl said:

One thing you could do is look back in your history to check if it was indeed this egg's lineage that you checked, through the code in the link. But I really don't see how this could be remotely possible, unless someone basically has TJ-level abilities somehow, in which case would they really just be switching out an aeon in a trade?

There seems to be a gap in the history on my phone. Breeding the Green egg is there, but the next page is looking at a CB Floret, done after placing my offer. I can't find the pages where I made the offer. I still have no idea of how the trade went wrong.

I usually have no problems with trades, accept or refuse, done. Next time I will log names and codes, just so I know it's not me falling apart.

Edited by dragongrrl