Dragon Mage

Quality of life upgrades!

Despite the great risk in making this post, the wonderful folks on DC discord encouraged me to make this suggestion, so here I am.

Thanks to @Wymsical's new site Protochroma (click link to take a look!) I've discovered a few features on there I use a LOT for management of my collection and I always miss those features when I switch over to DC. The chief among these is the site keeps track of how many male/female of a breed I have. It's readily available, easy to find, and it helps me keep things balanced.

I propose that a similar feature be included in each breed encyclopedia page. It already keeps count of how many eggs/hatchlings/adults we observe and raise. Why not simply add in the number of male and female owned of each breed as well? I have it on Wymsical's authority and extensive knowledge of coding that this addition would not require a great deal of rewriting code to enable, and would be quite easy to make available.

Additionally, I know a lot of folks like myself like to have even male/female numbers of CB breeds, either for making lineages or just breeding hybrids for folks that need it. The recent Floret is a great example; I need to keep careful track of how many male/female of the new Peach to make sure I can continuously breed for someone that needs a bloodswap or is just having a bout of bad luck. So it'd be a LOT of help to have the encyclopedia page list how many CB male/female dragons we own as well! I already have a CB Group but that doesn't change the fact I have to try and carefully keep count of male and female numbers if I grab a new one for scroll goals. A simple click and glance at the encyclopedia page would be a great upgrade and allow me to plan things faster and easier!

And finally, I think folks have brought it up before, but I officially submit the vote that we include the egg description for each unlocked dragon breed on the Encyclopedia page. This'll make ID much easier and hopefully result in less misclicks! (I cannot tell you how many times I've mistaken Galvanic for Zyu, dear lord.) This would also help a LOT for Holiday breeds -- I distinctly remember having to look up each V-day egg description, count which ones I had for CB or not, and how many, and write them out on a pad of paper for the holiday this year. Woof. This should keep these important reference information a lot more right-at-hand and easy to access.

All in support, say aye!

A dragon counter for the encyclopedia would definitely be useful. Support.

I would love something like this. I've noticed that the dragon counter in the encyclopedia isn't always right to begin with, so I would love to see it get an overhaul with more features. I'd also love it if it gave you a count of each alternate color/sprite too!

Honestly I feel like the Encyclopedia may not be the best place to put stuff like this, simply because the Encyclopedia does not and was never meant to track the dragons *on our scroll*. The encyclopedia tracks how many you've viewed overall and/or owned *overall*, which could be literally hundreds more than what's actually on your scroll. I feel like adding information about what is *currently* on your scroll on the same encyclopedia-breed-pages that have always only tracked *overall* would be confusing and a little out of place. 

Not that I wouldn't like these suggestions in general! I just don't know if the encyclopedia breed-pages are the best place. Maybe if each encyclopedia-breed page had an additional list, so in addition to the current 'owned' and 'observed' there would also be "currently on scroll' or somesuch. And maybe changed the 'owned' to 'owned overall' or something, to distinguish the difference. 

(I'm not sure I support including a separate count of CBs, the site doesn't show any sort of bias regarding CB/bred and I don't want it to start, that's a user-thing. Why should the site itself keep track of your CBs and not, say, all your 2gs or even-gens or whatever?)

I think HeatherMarie is right.  This might be something that would be better in a different section, like under the trophy - which currently tracks your eggs and hatchlings, so why not adults?  Those are part of earning a trophy, too!  :) 

37 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Not that I wouldn't like these suggestions in general! I just don't know if the encyclopedia breed-pages are the best place. Maybe if each encyclopedia-breed page had an additional list, so in addition to the current 'owned' and 'observed' there would also be "currently on scroll' or somesuch. And maybe changed the 'owned' to 'owned overall' or something, to distinguish the difference. 

I really think it would make the most sense to have this on the encyclopedia dragon pages, though. It seems the most intuitive place to have it listed. I don’t think the suggestion was to replace the observed and owned counter. An additional list or further clarification of which dragons are currently on our scrolls wouldn’t be out of place here.

6 minutes ago, Niyaka said:

I really think it would make the most sense to have this on the encyclopedia dragon pages, though. It seems the most intuitive place to have it listed. I don’t think the suggestion was to replace the observed and owned counter. An additional list or further clarification of which dragons are currently on our scrolls wouldn’t be out of place here.

Niyaka beat me to it! Since it's specifically pertaining to each breed in particular, tracking the number of male/female of each individual breed, it'd make most sense and be most tidy to keep it in the encyclopedia page for that breed. Since the overall tracking info is there, a few more lines of data would be easy to implement. This would be just adding onto what's already there.

2 hours ago, Dragon Mage said:

propose that a similar feature be included in each breed encyclopedia page. It already keeps count of how many eggs/hatchlings/adults we observe and raise. Why not simply add in the number of male and female owned of each breed as well? 

So much this more than any other feature. It would be an easy, on site way of keeping track of your dragons, especially if you like balance.

To me, I think the encylopedia is the best place for info on specific dragon numbers:

ex. I have 526 Horse dragons...To me it makes a lot more sense if I click on Horse dragon in the encylopedia and see it say;

Males: X amount

Females: X amount 

As opposed to seeing this under the trophy information [though I wouldn't mind if that had a general breakdown of scroll stats (like how many Males, Females, frozen, etc you have)]

TL/DR: Support for an on site scroll/breed statistics to be added

While I don't mind it being in the Encyclopedia, I think it would be better to have a "User Stats" page either under Account, on the scroll, or even just linked from the trophy. 100% support.

So... Just a quick mock-up of how it could work on the encyclopedia (very rough, not good at this sort of thing but I think better visually..):

1671314056_encyclopediamock-up.png.bc56a449b3355dc7e129d5ea6d7cbc5c.png

1 hour ago, Keileon said:

While I don't mind it being in the Encyclopedia, I think it would be better to have a "User Stats" page either under Account, on the scroll, or even just linked from the trophy. 100% support.

I would like this a *lot* more though. Instead of fitting limited 'on-scroll' information on the encyclopedia pages I feel like there is a *lot* more that could be done with an actual separate 'scroll stats' page. I'm thinking about those fansites/hatcheries that give scroll stat info and just how much could be added here... Maybe keeping a list of how many of each body-type you have? Like wyverns and easterns etc. Or showing scroll-wide number stats like how many adults in all, how many frozen hatchlings in all, your overall male/female ratio.... There is *so* much more that could be done if there is a full separate page for stuff like that. ... Although, I guess with how many breeds the game has now a page listing male/female stats for every single breed may get unwieldy. 

7 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Honestly I feel like the Encyclopedia may not be the best place to put stuff like this, simply because the Encyclopedia does not and was never meant to track the dragons *on our scroll*. The encyclopedia tracks how many you've viewed overall and/or owned *overall*, which could be literally hundreds more than what's actually on your scroll. I feel like adding information about what is *currently* on your scroll on the same encyclopedia-breed-pages that have always only tracked *overall* would be confusing and a little out of place. 

(I'm not sure I support including a separate count of CBs, the site doesn't show any sort of bias regarding CB/bred and I don't want it to start, that's a user-thing. Why should the site itself keep track of your CBs and not, say, all your 2gs or even-gens or whatever?)

2 hours ago, Keileon said:

I don't actually feel a need for this - but if I did - I would much rather have it on my scroll than having to go to the encyclopaedia for it.  I'm also with Heather on the CB side of it - they are easy enough to find anyway - have a CB group, add one and then add all CBs using the filter. Then you can sort by breed and it's done for you.

I've been wanting egg descriptions in the Encyclopedia, or somewhere on site, for ages. Maybe once you unlock an egg in the encyclopedia, and the tooltip/pop-up text box that says "Unlock this image after owning X eggs..." goes away, it should be replaced by a description of the egg. If that doesn't work, maybe add it to the top of the page along with the dragon's element and the location where the egg is found etc.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm also with Heather on the CB side of it - they are easy enough to find anyway - have a CB group, add one and then add all CBs using the filter. Then you can sort by breed and it's done for you.

While this is by no means applicable to everyone, consider those of us with large hoards of one breed. I have 359 CB Spinel Wyverns, which I'm making into a large PB even gen. How do I know how many of those 359 are males, so that I can make sure I have an equal number of both genders for pairs? In fact, how do I know how many of those 359 are frozen hatchlings, and thus not part of the breeding pool?

359 is a low enough number that you could quickly pick the hatchlings out, most likely, but there are people with breed CB hoards more than double this size.

6 hours ago, Keileon said:

While this is by no means applicable to everyone, consider those of us with large hoards of one breed. I have 359 CB Spinel Wyverns, which I'm making into a large PB even gen. How do I know how many of those 359 are males, so that I can make sure I have an equal number of both genders for pairs? In fact, how do I know how many of those 359 are frozen hatchlings, and thus not part of the breeding pool?

359 is a low enough number that you could quickly pick the hatchlings out, most likely, but there are people with breed CB hoards more than double this size.

A work-around could be to make separate groups for males and females... Once you actually make the groups, as long as you appropriately add any new CB adults you'll always have an accurate count of CB male/female of that breed just by looking at the number in the groups. 

I understand some people have hundreds of one breed (so do I!), even hundreds of CBs of one breed. But if you (general "you") value CBs that's your choice and something you can keep track of on your own. I see no reason for the site to start tracking CBs when it's never distinguished them before, and if that *were* to happen it should be part of a much more inclusive tracking system that also lists all your 2nd-gens, all your 12th-gens, etc. Only listing CBs would give the impression that CBs are somehow different/better than breds, and the site should not make that sort of distinction. 

4 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Only listing CBs would give the impression that CBs are somehow different/better than breds, and the site should not make that sort of distinction. 

The theoretical "scroll stats" page could just have a breed dropdown like the Trading Hub, and it could show a bunch of info per breed. CBs of each gender, bred of each gender, frozens, adults, total... as an example here's how Protochroma does it, though DC would need a different layout to be applicable, since the two sites don't really share all the same features.

Spoiler

QJ3mhvA.png

AfyVL3B.png

PC kind of NEEDS this feature because of the sheer amount of variants, but I'd argue DC could use it for the sheer amount of breeds. I have a group of each breed of dragon-- it's handy, but it's a fair amount of upkeep and it doesn't tell me how many of those are CB unless I make another group, and then I'm faced with non-dimorphic breeds being even harder. I've triple-counted before and still been wrong.

The site DOES distinguish between CB and bred, by the way. The term "caveborn" is used in a help section, the group filter lets you see CBs or any generation number, and the breed limits page during xmas and vday definitely distinguishes, though I can't remember the phrasing. Lineage building is encouraged by the site, so having CBs is kind of a big deal.

Edited by Keileon

@Keileon I've never heard of Protochroma, but I *love* that screenshot. I would absolutely love something like that on DC, an actual stats page would be so cool (and so helpful). And I like how that screenshot shows 'wild caught' and 'captive bred', that kind of shows exactly what I meant earlier. Showing *just* stats about CB numbers would be biased, showing stats about CBs *and* breds would be informative and helpful. 

I would kill to easily see my CB gender numbers per breed. I hate having to try and find it in my cb group and then make sure I have an even amount.

I personally don't have much need for this but deffo see how it could be useful to many, support.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:32 AM, alpheratz said:

I would love something like this. I've noticed that the dragon counter in the encyclopedia isn't always right to begin with, so I would love to see it get an overhaul with more features. I'd also love it if it gave you a count of each alternate color/sprite too!

If the dragon count would get corrected, that in itself would be fabulous, and if we get a gender break up, I am all for it. But the count needs to be fixed first.

The dragon count in the encyclopedia only refers to what you had after the encyclopaedia was set up. Which was only fair, or people like me would have had everything unlocked on day 1.

1 hour ago, jedisunny said:

If the dragon count would get corrected, that in itself would be fabulous, and if we get a gender break up, I am all for it. But the count needs to be fixed first.

The count doesn't need to be 'fixed', it works exactly as intended. It counts the dragons you've gotten on your scroll since the Encyclopedia was introduced. It is not, and never was intended to be, an accurate count of your dragons in any sense. Adding more stats/counts to the Encyclopedia is an idea, but the current count already there works the way it's supposed to.

Edited by HeatherMarie

13 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

The count doesn't need to be 'fixed', it works exactly as intended. It counts the dragons you've gotten on your scroll since the Encyclopedia was introduced. It is not, and never was intended to be, an accurate count of your dragons in any sense. Adding more stats/counts to the Encyclopedia is an idea, but the current count already there works the way it's supposed to.

Oh! Thanks. I did not know that, because I have not really been active on the forums, I used to always wonder at the discrepancy. It is good to know.