dojafish

DC Lingo?

I am very sorry if this is posted somewhere already, I tried searching and looking around but I did not find it.  I am also sorry if this isn't the right place to ask.  Although I've been with DC from 2007, I have rarely if ever been on the forums.

I just wanted to ask if there's an official glossary or something for all the user lingo on DC?  For the most part I eventually picked up what other users were saying, although it honestly took me up until recently to figure out what SAlt was, and even then I'm not sure if it's synonymous to SAltkin or if there's a difference?  For a long time I thought people were asking for salt dragons, as in Blacktip Dragons.  Now I'm seeing people asking for "group/3297439" or something and I have absolutely no clue what that means.  Please advise?

7 minutes ago, Umi said:

Here might help give some insight to some of the terminology you may be confused about.

That clears up the SAlt and SAltkin confusion, thank you!  Do you happen to know what people are talking about when they ask for "group/#######" in the trading hub by chance?

10 minutes ago, dojafish said:

That clears up the SAlt and SAltkin confusion, thank you!  Do you happen to know what people are talking about when they ask for "group/#######" in the trading hub by chance?

It's generally in reference to something they're seeking from a group they made, usually a breeding partner for a dragon in the group. You can find said group by pasting the group number code they provided after: dragcave.net/group/codehere

7 minutes ago, Umi said:

It's generally in reference to something they're seeking from a group they made, usually a breeding partner for a dragon in the group. You can find said group by pasting the group number code they provided after: dragcave.net/group/codehere

It's always something simple... 😖 I had only tried looking at their page to look through their groups but if they had multiple (which was almost always the case) then I was a bit lost.  This will make things a lot easier, so thank you again!

People use "/group/number" because the site automatically filters out full links, so it's the easiest way to post direct group info. Plus, you're only allowed to display 4 groups on your scroll page, so people often have to link undisplayed groups.

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

People use "/group/number" because the site automatically filters out full links, so it's the easiest way to post direct group info. Plus, you're only allowed to display 4 groups on your scroll page, so people often have to link undisplayed groups.

Oh! I didn't know that, thank you very much for this information.  It's very helpful! 

Hi @dojafish, I know you’re not new to DC, but just in case you didn’t know, DC has mentors, which are super helpful people that help all this make sense.

They are for any level of player, not just beginners. 

You can PM one or post in the thread if you’re interested: :) 

On 6/27/2021 at 2:05 PM, missy_ said:

Hi @dojafish, I know you’re not new to DC, but just in case you didn’t know, DC has mentors, which are super helpful people that help all this make sense.

They are for any level of player, not just beginners. 

You can PM one or post in the thread if you’re interested: :) 

This is a stellar suggestion just to help me keep up with new developments and terms that I have not heard of before.  For the most part I can figure it out after some time, but sometimes I get stumped lol.  I don't need to be a student or anything to ask, right?

1 hour ago, dojafish said:

This is a stellar suggestion just to help me keep up with new developments and terms that I have not heard of before.  For the most part I can figure it out after some time, but sometimes I get stumped lol.  I don't need to be a student or anything to ask, right?

They are basically there to help you or any player on DC with your questions, big or small. :)  If you mean do you have to be a student at a university? No. You can request a mentor by posting in the thread, or you can PM one of the mentors on the list, and ask for a mentor that way; whichever makes you more comfortable. They will help you (believe me, I asked SO many questions ... my mentor was so patient with me). Working with one person (mentor) like that was a huge benefit to me and made DC much more enjoyable. I worked with my mentor for several months, until I felt "ready" (had most of my questions answered). You will still have questions; always will, because of the nature of the game. The mentor experience helped me grasp the concepts in the order I was ready to learn them. Hope that made sense!

I actually think this would be a good thread to have and list terminology for, though maybe the wiki covers it.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:35 PM, dojafish said:

it honestly took me up until recently to figure out what SAlt was, and even then I'm not sure if it's synonymous to SAltkin or if there's a difference?  For a long time I thought people were asking for salt dragons, as in Blacktip Dragons.

Yeah, I briefly thought this too, and I'm a seasoned vet. This is why I never call them that. We still need a separate "have" line for the trade hub, people are always abbreviating things so they can cram more info into the limited space.

There's this - but it has a LOT of other stuff in.,