lexi_

add day of the week to time reference

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If it simply said Sunday - that's fine. It's the idea of "the first day of the week" I don't like.

That's OK.  I'd go along with that.  :D

Support for stuff like first day of the week as that helps with figuring out what it is (especially when dragcave time does not line up with yours so it could be Thursday for you and Friday for dc.)

Actually that isn't right - you have to look at the time as well and so you can tell which day it is, even crossing the date line. If it says Friday - it is Friday cave time, so that is when you want to go after your FRIDAY gems. It is DC days you need - it doesn't matter what day you feel it is; if it says Friday at the top, you will get a Friday egg.

i support this!

while i am someone who is also on Cave Time, there are 24 time zones across the globe after all. 

and like Fuzz says, calendars may start on a different day. all of mine happen to start on sunday, but i believe my google calendar has an option for me to start it on monday, if i so choose.

i like the verbiage for it to say just the day, not the "first day of the week thing" - that makes it too much to think about.

since the Market says "Weekly limits reset every Sunday," the days should just be the day.

i think someone posted something like this on the first page:

Time Reference:

Time of Day: It is day. Today is Tuesday

Season: Spring

(i picked Tuesday since this is the day i'm replying)

As someone from a different time zone, I like this idea !

In fact, I didn't have any problems with the time before the Gemshards, and I think I can manage them without this suggestion, but I like the clarity of it.

(And I would love new names for the days, but I'm just a hardcore fan of lore in general so don't mind me 😌)

I'd like this too. I've already had three 'wrongly' coloured gemshards because I did the maths wrong for which day of the week it was for DC.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:31 PM, sorenna said:

This would be helpful for people in time zones that are quite a bit off from DC's! 

I don't think we need lore-compliant names, either, honestly; numbers would work okay.  So it would look like this when you clicked on the DC clock:

Time of Day: It is night. The sun is setting.

Day: It is the seventh day of the week.

I hate to say this but some calendars start with Sunday as the first day of the week and others with Saturday or Monday as the first day of the week. Simply assigning a number to each day might be just as confusing to some people as checking the time zone difference.

I completely agree that it would be helpful. Using Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc. would be my preference. If there was a DC Lore name for each day of the week that would be okay too. For example: It is Nameday (Tuesday).

Edited by BringsTheSnow

Support. I am still habing troubles making sure I get the right gemshard.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

Well, no it doesn't. I have calendars all over the house, some from N America, some from Australia, some from Europe.

About half of them give Sunday as the first day of the week; the others give Monday.

So - no, not simple. (indeed, this very example suggests Sunday as the 7th day; I'm fine with that but my partner would be outraged !)

This seems to me to be the answer.

Time of Day: It is day. The sun is rising

Day: It is the 6th of June (or even, if you want to "suggest lore", it is the 6th day of the 6th month)

7 hours ago, BringsTheSnow said:

I hate to say this but some calendars start with Sunday as the first day of the week and others with Saturday or Monday as the first day of the week. Simply assigning a number to each day might be just as confusing to some people as checking the time zone difference.

I completely agree that it would be helpful. Using Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc. would be my preference. If there was a DC Lore name for each day of the week that would be okay too. For example: It is Nameday (Tuesday).

Funny you should mention that ! But please not a lore day.

15 hours ago, BringsTheSnow said:

I'm aware that calendars differ.  I'd be fine with either "first" day, but I used Sunday as the first day in my example because DC explicitly runs on EST/US time, so Sunday would be the first by that system.  I have no actual preference as to which one gets chosen; I just guessed which was most likely!

I'd also be fine with made-up names, as long as they were paired with regular names, i.e. "It is Rixarday (Tuesday)" as in your example.  :) 

Edited by sorenna

12 minutes ago, sorenna said:

I'm aware that calendars differ.  I'd be fine with either "first" day, but I used Sunday as the first day in my example because DC explicitly runs on EST/US time, so Sunday would be the first by that system.  I have no actual preference as to which one gets chosen; I just guessed which was most likely!

I think the point is that using first, second, third, etc. would not really make it much clearer than it is now. People consider different days to be the first day of the week, and having to remember that Dragon Cave uses a different day doesn't make things easier. I think a day name is necessary in order to make this suggestion really workable for the purpose it is meant for.

And yes, if lore names are used they should definitely be paired with the real world name.

4 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I think the point is that using first, second, third, etc. would not really make it much clearer than it is now. People consider different days to be the first day of the week, and having to remember that Dragon Cave uses a different day doesn't make things easier. I think a day name is necessary in order to make this suggestion really workable for the purpose it is meant for.

And yes, if lore names are used they should definitely be paired with the real world name.

I'm amenable.  :)  I figured having a "first" day that isn't your first day wouldn't be any trickier than having a midnight that's not your midnight, but whatever people prefer (or TJ chooses)!  Numbered days were the only way I could think of that dodges the question of lore names versus real-world names, but if those are more popular, TJ will hopefully take that into account. 

8 minutes ago, sorenna said:

I figured having a "first" day that isn't your first day wouldn't be any trickier than having a midnight that's not your midnight

True. But it isn't any easier, either, and this suggestion seemed to be looking for an easier way. I am in the same time zone as DC, so it really makes no difference to me. I will always know what day it is regardless. XD

39 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

True. But it isn't any easier, either, and this suggestion seemed to be looking for an easier way. I am in the same time zone as DC, so it really makes no difference to me. I will always know what day it is regardless. XD

Exactly. But even in my house there are always arguments about the first day of the week. We differ....And lore days would be a pain in the butt, to be honest. Sunday is already used for when shards reset, so there is precedent for using "real" day names.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I completely fail to see the need to include a "lore day name" when this is what the site currently has:

image.png.90517f377804d0e4620914cccf84ad32.png

image.png.ff3673436bf5fcfd0950601aa40ba158.png

Honestly you could just slap a quick "[day of the week]" before or after the "time am/pm EDT" or something.  There's no reason to introduce a layer of lore immersion where it will only cause confusion and we have multiple long-standing precedents for using real-world terms.  It would have made sense if it were introduced way back when the site was starting to add more lore and such, but at this point it'd be strange to shove it in after so long of using real-world terminology for certain things.

Edited by KageSora

Me too; I even sort of said the same already. Especially as people not on forum will never really see the lore anyway.

Was about to make this post myself. My timezone is ten hours ahead, and I've already made two accidental blue gemshards when I was going for purple ones... I could manage it without this but it's annoying and I don't see a reason to not have it since it matters now.

I would prefer no 'lore' names, but they would be vastly better than 'xth day of the week.' I don't even really have an opinion over which is the 'first' day, either Sunday or Monday but I normally think 'Monday'

It could literally just be something like this

image.png.0ad1e2a5b12bf346da8366669c9e7199.png

That doesn't really take up that much more space, and does the job of letting you know what day it is alongside the time.

6 minutes ago, KageSora said:

That doesn't really take up that much more space, and does the job of letting you know what day it is alongside the time.

this is an awesome idea; totally agree

39 minutes ago, KageSora said:

That's a nice idea and display right there [and keep the time/day tied to DC time]

Also, I'm with the crowd who would much rather the 'real day' names as opposed to lore names (even doing them in Saurian would be a bit much in my opinion)

Support to this being added with real day names

17 hours ago, KageSora said:

nice and simple. i really like this. i can see it realistically being implemented into the cave just like this.

i didnt mind either way if it was lore names or real day names, but this keeps it very simple. supporting this!

On 6/28/2021 at 5:58 PM, KageSora said:

Another yes for this. Simple and to the point.