Shokomon

DC 15th Birthday Mechanism (& Breeding) Thread - Floret Focus

Why do I torture myself with the trade hub?

I've been nursing along a pair of 2g pb sapphire eggs for two days, finally getting around to an attempt at making yellows.

Then I went to the trade hub and saw somebody offering a 2g pb pink sapphire in return for 2 2g blue sapphires. I debated whether I wanted to trade them away, and whether 1 2nd gen pink was worth 2 blue eggs. Decided to make the offer since I can breed more 2nd gen sapphires... and the trade said it was canceled or completed. Figured it was a message that the trade wasn't for me.

Refreshed the page. They'd cancelled the trade to sweeten the pot with a lilac alstro egg. You know, one of the ones I've failed to achieve in three rounds of breeding. Of course I made the offer. We'll see if they take my offer. It was accepted, so I am finally the proud owner of a lilac egg.

Meanwhile (back on topic), I've been thinking about my complete failure to get anything other than peach eggs. I was wondering if these dragons breed like the stripes, wherein it's random but a specific pair tends toward a particular color of offspring. Next time I can breed, I think I'm going to mix up the pairs a bit.

Edited to add:

I did see a lilac alstro today that had alt (non-peach) alstro parents (lilac x bronze). So there goes my theory that the alt colors require an alsto x iris pair of some sort—proven false. Didn't think to grab a screenshot but I will if I run across it again. Found it and took a screenshot. So this matches the general (non-floret) breeding rule that the egg can match one of the parents.

Spoiler

1552926502_Proofirisisnotnecessary.png.657bdebaf37b07fee07f1da38dbde2c2.png

Edited again (because it was going to combine anyway):

Proof that the alt colors can breed true even if (or because?) the mate isn't a floret at all.

Spoiler

1136758185_Proofaltscanbreedtruew-outfloret.png.a662e301c9bdb20c9a78bc7ed942fdf7.png

Edited by Fyrebird
Columbo moment ("One more thing")

Screenshot_20210611-150455_Firefox.jpg.704fb0d0f00ae283b8afefb5b08c11d7.jpg

This was the one recent breeding of mine that I found interesting -- that a 2G gold Alstro x CB Purple Iris can still yield a pink Alstro -- the alt color doesn't always breed true. 

Do we know if an Alstro x Iris pairing can ever yield an Iris?  Or if it's always going to be Alstro? All of my (maybe 2 dozen?) breedings with Alstro x Iris have produced Alstro offspring.

Edited by Kelkelen

42 minutes ago, Kelkelen said:

Do we know if an Alstro x Iris pairing can ever yield an Iris?

Yes. The magenta iris egg comes from an alstro x iris pairing. It's just the rarest color so not often seen.

5 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

Yes. The magenta iris egg comes from an alstro x iris pairing. It's just the rarest color so not often seen.

Right, I guess I was wondering more about a specific scenario -- if a 2nd-gen Alstro can still have Purple or Gold Iris offspring.

10 hours ago, Kelkelen said:

if a 2nd-gen Alstro can still have Purple or Gold Iris offspring.

The problem is, I haven't seen many 2nd gen alstro x alstro pairing. There were only two listed in this thread, and both gave alstros. That's not enough to go on.

I'm haunting the hatching site now, checking out basically all the irises to look at their lineage. This is something I've been wanting to know anyway. I finally got two lilacs (had to trade for them because all I can breed is peaches) that I've influenced into a breeding pair so I can see what happens.

Also, thanks to looking, I've found two more magenta iris, so thanks for the push. :) 

It's going to combine my answers anyway, so I might as well put it here even though it's a completely different topic, but I have proof that the irises still do not breed true. Here are two gold irises that had a purple iris child. (Sorry the picture is so long, but it was a messy lineage.)

Spoiler

176291838_stilldontbreedtrue.png.91acf367fcd391f2470caeff991f6471.png

Additionally, I have (finally!) bred my first non-peach egg (lilac). My idea of switching the pairs seems to have worked... or it's just random chance and I finally got lucky. YMMV. I'll have to wait two more days before I can try two other pair mix-ups.

Edited by Fyrebird

Got just the peach florets with all my breeds this time round, irrespective of the combos used. None of the 3 alts. Also, so far on my scroll, I have been able to get only the lavender ones. 

Bred this pair for science, and am absolutely thrilled with the result! https://dragcave.net/lineage/i0hWh

My only other second gens are both male, so that is as much as I can do right now. Going to breed some CB pairs again to see if I can get a magenta Iris. Wish me luck!

Well, no magenta. No peach, either, tho! Got two browns from peach x gold and one lilac from peach x purple. That's all the pairs I have available right now.

Edited by purplehaze

5 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Bred this pair for science, and am absolutely thrilled with the result! https://dragcave.net/lineage/i0hWh

My only other second gens are both male, so that is as much as I can do right now. Going to breed some CB pairs again to see if I can get a magenta Iris. Wish me luck!

i...oh...whoa!  Great egg!  Sorry, couldn't resist! :P

30 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Bred this pair for science, and am absolutely thrilled with the result!

Strangely enough, I ran across an egg yesterday that mirrors this lineage exactly, and took a screenshot because it was so pretty.

OK, to summarize where we are on the florets:

• For a 2g egg to get an alt color, one parent must be a peach alstro and one parent a gold or purple iris.
  • Iris: gold x gold and purple x purple can still randomly give the other color. Also, if the parent is another breed (including alstro florets) the egg can be either color.
  • Alstro: 3rd gen and up, alt x alt can give any color.
  • Peach x peach alstro appears to be the only color that breeds true.

What we have not seen are any cases where iris x iris gives alstro, or alstro x alstro gives iris.

Comments? Quibbles?

Muppet News Flash: BLUE electric dragons will also make the storm-rider hybrid. (Did we know that? I didn't know that.)

Spoiler

1237820495_blueelectricsalsomakehybrids.png.93a641538d8fffa8a94f1027af7b7029.png

Also, I thought it was me, but it isn't. If you try to filter by "Floret Wyvern" in the Trading Hub (there are two identical entries on the drop-down list), which one is which one CHANGES. I had to run an experiment over the last day where I only picked the top one, and it is sometimes one and sometimes the other. Don't know what triggers it, but after a full day of always getting the iris from the top one—and after almost deciding I was just a dope who couldn't remember what it was before—I just got the alstros.

Edited by Fyrebird
Muppet News Flash

Can we determine what "genes" the Florets have (that they can pass on to their offspring)?

Purple Iris and Gold Iris obviously both have purple and gold "color genes" since they can produce their own and the other color with any mate.

I think they also have sort of an "Iris body type gene".

I know nothing about peach Iris Florets.

Peach Alstro has (at least) the peach color gene and Alstro body type gene.

Purple Alstro may have all three color genes. (I just bred a peach Alstro from two purple Alstros.)

Gold Alstro may be the same as purple?

I suspect they all can pass on their own "body type gene" (but never the other type), but colors are... weird?

Getting a peach Iris seems to require one Iris parent and one parent from which it can get the peach color gene. No idea if that's only the peach Alstro, or if other combinations just haven't happend because peach Irises are super-ultra-rare.

14 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

OK, to summarize where we are on the florets:

• For a 2g egg to get an alt color, one parent must be a peach alstro and one parent a gold or purple iris.
  • Iris: gold x gold and purple x purple can still randomly give the other color. Also, if the parent is another breed (including alstro florets) the egg can be either color.
  • Alstro: 3rd gen and up, alt x alt can give any color.
  • Peach x peach alstro appears to be the only color that breeds true.

What we have not seen are any cases where iris x iris gives alstro, or alstro x alstro gives iris.

Comments?

Yes!  I think this is all right, shows where we are.  Only question I have is about 2G and higher Iris x Alstro pairings -- CAN they yield a Purple or Gold Iris egg?  So far, I've gotten only Alstros, in maybe 30 breedings.  We know that the rare Pink Iris can result, but what about the original Iris colors?

Edited by Kelkelen

12 hours ago, Kelkelen said:

Yes!  I think this is all right, shows where we are.  Only question I have is about 2G and higher Iris x Alstro pairings -- CAN they yield a Purple or Gold Iris egg?  So far, I've gotten only Alstros, in maybe 30 breedings.  We know that the rare Pink Iris can result, but what about the original Iris colors?

I bred a regular purple Iris from peach Alstro, so it is possible to do normal checkers ^^ I gifted the egg in Community Notice board, so here is just the progeny page: https://dragcave.net/progeny/txqsk

Perhaps this is useful information?

5166EBFC-97C7-43A5-A886-AF69D30EA8B5.jpeg.de3fa2e578c22b3c8946e2b9b75f71b1.jpeg

I bred a 3g magenta iris from magenta iris+non-floret

I'm very interested in whether a 2g gold alstro can yield a blue alstro, and vice versa, if the other parent is not a floret, since the colours seem a bit funky. Anyone tried it? Any information?

Edited by sasiadragon
Wanted to specify that these are my dragons

12 hours ago, sasiadragon said:

I bred a 3g magenta iris from magenta iris+non-floret

That is indeed useful. It tells us that they can breed true when paired with non-florets.

The gold and purples have shown that, while they CAN breed true in such circumstances, they can also NOT breed true. There's no reason to think otherwise on these.

12 hours ago, sasiadragon said:

I'm very interested in whether a 2g gold alstro can yield a blue alstro, and vice versa, if the other parent is not a floret, since the colours seem a bit funky. Anyone tried it? Any information?

Yes, we have seen color shifts in the alstros, in the same way that the gold and purple irises can throw the other color. A peach x bronze or lilac can give peach, bronze, or lilac egg.

What we have NOT seen is two alstros giving an iris (gold, purple OR magenta).

Still looking for confirmation whether bronze x bronze or lilac x lilac gives other colors. At this point I am expecting that they will — colors seem to be random if both parents are florets (other than peach x peach, which is the only one confirmed to always breed true, not counting early glitches).

Mysteries, mysteries... Still no dice on getting a Pink Iris (seems to be the case for many of us), but I got a few more Purple/Gold Alstros to share. Here's for more info?

So far (when I don't get Pink Alstros), I've gotten Golden Alstros mostly from Golden Iris fathers and Pink Alstro mothers, but it's hard to tell how much of that is chance. I have no idea if this sort of info is helpful or not, but I hope so! And I also hope that I breed a Pink Iris soon, lol.

On 6/6/2021 at 7:15 PM, PlatinumDream said:

I haven't done much breeding of Florets, but I did a little bit:

Purple Iris F (2g) x Peach Alstro M (CB) = Purple Alstro F (/lineage/r2YFj)

Gold Iris F (CB) X Peach Alstro M (CB) = Gold Alstro F (/lineage/oOz3k)

Purple Iris F (CB) x Peach Alstro M (CB) = Peach Alstro M (/lineage/R0EyP)

Lineages of eggs I've picked up from the AP:

Peach Alstro F (CB) x Gold Iris M (CB) = Peach Alstro F (/lineage/GMWfb)

Gold Iris F (CB) x Peach Alstro M (CB) = Gold Alstro F (/lineage/hjDPC)

On 6/7/2021 at 5:00 AM, Lovecats said:

Hi! I hope this helps, but I managed to get a Peach Floret out of a Purple and Gold Alstro:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/8Zzix

image.png.f46f89201e2892442498262c578ffc9d.png

On 6/7/2021 at 6:22 AM, Guillotine said:

I forgot to check how much space I had, so it got auto'd, but a Gold Iris/Peach Alestro threw a purple Alestro.

DATAAA.png

On 6/7/2021 at 9:24 AM, purplehaze said:

Finally got a non-peach egg!

Hide contents

image.png.dfa0967d2be2ea29b86f714a38432e31.png

Too bad it wasn't a z-code, but I am keeping it anyway!

Hide contents

image.png.ad220dafb20f81cef0ee62e005feb900.png

And my second!

On 6/7/2021 at 3:22 PM, Magellan said:

Don't know if this was already discussed, but I found a green Nilia with this lineage Unbenannt.png.41fd182bec1f29909c68df7886a7a124.png

So far I thought, both parents need to be a.) fertilized (and maybe they were) AND b.) Nilias. Guess I was wrong :D

I don't think I have a non-Nilia x Nilia pair recorded so thank you for this!

On 6/8/2021 at 3:49 AM, Kelkelen said:

Some breeding results... FOR SCIENCE!

2G Pink Alstro from Pink Alstro × Gold Floret × 2G Gold Alstro from Pink Alstro x Gold Floret = Peach egg

2G Gold Alstro from Pink Alstro x Purple Iris × CB Purple Iris = Peach egg

2G Pink Alstro from Pink Alstro x Purple Iris × CB Purple Iris = Gold egg

CB Gold Iris x CB Pink Alstro = Peach egg

CB Purple Iris x CB Pink Alstro = Lilac egg

CB Purple Iris x CB Pink Alstro = Lilac egg

Yay!  I finally got a couple of lilacs!  Now, if I can just breed that elusive Pink Iris... 

For the Gold egg you got, was a Gold Iris or a Gold Alstro? I'm not sure which you mean. 

On 6/8/2021 at 2:59 PM, ShorahNagi said:

This is a 4th gen. Purple Alstro from a Purple Alstro x Gold Alstro pair

https://dragcave.net/lineage/HSLLy

**Also just breed (most) of my Coppers to Aeria Gloris [and one to a Galvanic] - All pairs either gave me no egg or the egg of the other breed (so a spot of bad luck that I didn't even get an "old" copper)

Dang. Thanks for trying!

On 6/8/2021 at 10:26 PM, Doll_81 said:

3rd Gen Floret - purple alt / brown alt

On 6/9/2021 at 10:43 AM, Naughtrish said:

Fresh out of the oven :D

https://dragcave.net/lineage/WTIHD

It unlocked the iris "magenta" egg.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:46 PM, Feathers said:

I have a few Floret hybrid successes to share for science! No magenta Irises yet, but I'm hoping to try another round again later this evening. I'll edit this post and add in anything I manage!

For now, though, here!

Golden Alstro from Golden Iris father and Pink Alstro mother (and it gave a Peach Alstro with a Golden Iris mother)

Purple Alstro from Golden Iris father and Pink Alstro mother (which gave a Purple Alstro with a Purple Iris mother)

Purple Alstro from Pink Alstro father and Purple Iris mother

On 6/9/2021 at 9:21 PM, Fyrebird said:

Found another magenta egg, a very messy 29th generation. This was yet another purple iris father x peach alstro mother, the most common combination.

Can I post links here for people to look at for their encyclopedia pages, if they're not mine? This topic has a much lower viewership than the release, so it shouldn't get viewbombed. I have the egg sprite unlocked (but none of the others) becasue I've managed to find 12 of these suckers, of which 10 are now adults (plus TJ's 3).

And, I just found a messy 6th gen, also still an egg. This one was peach alstro m x purple f.

For the record, my personal code collection (none mine) now includes:

• 2 gold iris m x peach alstro f
  • 2 peach alstro m x gold iris f
  • 2 peach alstro m x purple iris f
  • 7 purple iris m x peach alstro f

I included the two new one you mentioned in the post, but not the others. I wasn't sure if you added them already. 

On 6/10/2021 at 3:50 AM, eccoshop said:

Found this combination on a fansite.

Hide contents

download.png

Updated to here in spreadsheet

Sorry I haven't been on. Just so tired and busy lately. Will continue updating later.

Lots of good things found! Including Pink Irises! Yay!

Any one have any luck getting a copper from a Copper x Secondary Lightning pair?

Anyone bred a Pink Iris yet? [Edit: Nvm; the answer is yes] A Gold Alstro Purebred pair? A Purple Alstro Purebred pair? 

Did anyone manage to get a Pink Iris from an non-Pink Alstro? 

Edit: Other questions I got from my spreadsheet:

• Can Pink Iris x any Alstro = an Alt Astro? 
  • Can Alt Alstro bred with Irises to make Pink Irises?
  • Has anyone bred an Alt Astro from a Pink Alstro x Non-Floret Pair? 
  • Can anyone post a proven attempt at abandoning a blue Sapphire hatchling that didn't turn pink? I read it somewhere, but I have no evidence on the sheet.
  • Can anyone post a successful yellow Sapphire trade? I don't have evidence for that either. 
Edited by Shokomon

Since yellow Sapphires get their color from the number of views, I don't see how a trade can influence that?But I'll try...

The hint for pink Sapphires was "lonely eggs". So I always thought, the egg needed to be abandoned in order for it to turn and hatch pink. I'll give it a try as soon as I can though I personally think abandoned hatches stay blue.
Both tested by tjenni below.

And THIS just happened to me. You gotta be kiddin me... most of the new breeding makes sense but this is hopefully a glitch

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Magellan

I did hatch, influence and abandon a Blue Sapphire (from Silver) because I didn’t want it to be pink, well, now it is a frozen Yellow Sapphire, and Yellow Sapphires don’t get any other color through trading 👋🏼