HeatherMarie

ANSWERED:Decrease cooldown on BSAs required for breed variants

What the title says, basically. It wasn't as big a deal to have a 2-week cooldown on semi-common breed's BSAs when the only times you used those BSAs were, yunno, to *use* the BSA. Using Fertility when breeding a brand-new pair in hopes they won't refuse, or Warding an especially stubborn breed when it's in the ER (looking at you zyus....). 

But now we have unrelated dragon breeds that *require* certain BSAs to be used even if you don't actually need the BSA for it's original purpose at all. Stun, Ward, and Incubate all have 2-week cooldowns and are all BSAs that you need to use to get a breed variant even if you don't actually need the BSA-effect (AP eggs that have lower time already, eggs that have very little chance of actually getting sick, etc). It's even worse for Fertility, requiring *two* Fertilities to go on cooldown for 2 weeks just for a *chance* at getting a specific variant (and then those BSAs feeling wasted when you don't even get an egg from it and still have to wait 2 weeks, so you've effectively put 4 dragons on cooldown with no egg to show for it (instead of just the usual breeding cooldown)). 

We already have BSAs with shorter cooldowns, in fact the 2-week cooldowns are among the longest we have (only exceptions being full-month cooldowns). Now that these BSAs have even more importance heaped on them, I think their cooldowns should be changed to 1 week to reflect the increased need for their use. (The same way I assume Magis have a super-short cooldown because of their perceived need...)

(Also, in checking cooldown times I see that the on-site Help page lists Earthquake as "Once per week per dragon" but that seems untrue? I believe EQ is actually 2 weeks as well, based on mine still being on cooldown 9 days later...)

Support. We are using these bsas outside of their  respective usages to get alts. Shorter cooldown should reflect that and honestly its not game breaking to have this. 

Not sure about this.

When I started this game, my early focus was to get enough of each of the BSA dragons so I would never run out. The only BSA dragons I am currently short of are Aeons and Zyus, since I missed the cave release of both these breeds. I don't find the cooldowns to be excessive, although I know new players will find it frustrating until they collect the necessary dragons.

BTW, you are right about EQ needing two weeks. The dragon I used 4 days ago says she won't be available for another 10 days.

*Heads off to breed more 2g BSAs for the AP*

Support. I didn't realize that some of these have such long cooldowns. I agree that since these are being used beyond their intended function to now make alt dragons, it would be helpful to adjust the cooldown period to reflect that. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for those with very few BSA breeds.

I have plenty of BSA dragons, so this isn't an issue for me, but I understand why some could feel the need for a change.

I see no harm in this suggestion, so I would support it.

I support this 100%. Fertility, Ward, Bolt, and Earthquake all have such long cooldowns and with all these new alts that depend on them it would be nice.

Yeah with the shift to having alts that rely on the BSAs I think this is a needed change, even if I'm hoping it's just a fluke and no other breeds go this way.

Support. Out of all the long-cooldown BSAs, the only ones I use regularly are incubate and to a lesser extent fertility, so I've collected 80+ reds and 50+ purples meaning I never have to worry about running out. However, now that stun, ward and earthquake are basically required to get some variants, I found myself struggling to get the electrics I wanted for example because I had already used stun for its intended purpose a while before the release. People who have much fewer BSA dragons would have a considerably harder time as well. The 2 week cooldown was fine when the only purpose of these BSAs was basically an added bonus to the user - now that they are the only way of creating some variants, I think they should be more accessible to the average player. 

Edited by MissK.

9 hours ago, MissK. said:

The 2 week cooldown was fine when the only purpose of these BSAs was basically an added bonus to the user - now that they are the only way of creating some variants, I think they should be more accessible to the average player. 

I like the way you worded this. Most BSAs were an 'added bonus', like hatching an egg early or a few hours protection from dying etc. None of these BSAs were actually *needed* to play the game, they were just helpful bonuses. But that has changed now, these BSAs are no longer just an extra little something to make things move faster or whatever, there are variants you literally cannot get without using these BSAs (sure, trading, but that's definitely hit-or-miss...). 

Support here, too. I am far short on purples, and I haven't even bothered to check my greens yet. I have plenty of reds, oranges, and pinks, but the shorter cool down is much needed right now. I can't do anything at the moment.

I'm supportive of this because it's helpful for newer players that might be interested in DC. This does nothing for veterans and changes little for them, other than they now have more reds or pinks than they will ever need or will have an easier time finding these breeds if they like collecting them. I also remember when BSAs were meant to make certain breeds more desirable because they used to fill the AP. It was kinda a response to get reds, greens, and pinks out of the AP because they used to be super common in the AP. I feel like the opposite is true now, where reds and pinks are a bit harder to find in the AP, which might make newbies hunting for them have a more difficult time. The BSA also makes Aeons doubly more difficult to get because people use them for lineages AND for the BSA. If I recall, someone did the math and you need just over 100 reds to be able to Incubate all the time with no downtime, so there is definitely a demand to get as many reds as possible.

I'm 100% on board with shortening BSAs other than Corporealize, Summon, and Teleport. I might have forgotten a BSA somewhere. In my opinion, shortening the 2 week BSAs to 1 week would be beneficial. It would help make these breeds more common since the demand would be decreased and it would be vastly helpful for new players.

Fully support. Having consistent cooldown times for most BSAs would be very nice, but this seems particularly needed now that the BSAs are required for certain breeds. Basically, everything that's already been said here.

Support! You could always get more of those BSA dragons, but it's such an hassle that this alternate solution is much better!

Support!  I used both of my Greens trying to get the alt Shomoga and now not only am I egg locked with dead eggs, I can't try again for two weeks.  >.>

Support.

I've recently come back after two (?) years of hiatus and I'm still struggling... if I were a newer user, well, it would be even worse.

Found and bump'd! 

Two weeks cooldown, in practice, means just 26 uses per year. Imagine that. Even the thought of just 52 per year (1wk) can sometimes feel small when I really think about it. 

There are so many dragons and SO much waiting in this game already.

Lately I've been getting frustrated about Stun... It mostly has amazing synergy with Teleport, but the difference between their cooldown times is staggering! Huehue.

I'm in support of cooldown reduction of especially Stun, Ward, Earthquake. Their uses are rather specialized anyway - even providing risks and imperfect solutions to the user. (Let's face it, Ward with its 6h isn't particularly powerful...)

For Fertility and Incubate, I still understand the two weeks cooldown since they can be so incredibly useful.

Support. Two week cooldowns are just too long imo. 

It would make a big different to me if reds/pinks/and purples had their cooldown lowered to 1 week, instead of two. I'm less concerned with alt purposes, and just, hastening up egg hatching and making sure I can do projects. Its frustrating and hard to prioritize getting more BSA dragons when you want to continue projects, but I have been trying.

support! 2 weeks is... quite long

Support! 🤍
This doesn't at all sound game-breaking; and it'd actually be amazing for newer players to not have to focus on hoarding quite so many BSAs before they can feel comfortable playing the game.
   Not just that, but folks might be able to dedicate time to producing nicer-lineaged BSAs if they want, rather than needing to amass any and all that they can; ending up with tons of messies that they might not exactly want but need and further messing with potential breeding ratios. BSA Massbreeds are one of my favorite things to participate in! but I have noticed that Reds in particular have really fallen off of being as generous as they once were. :unsure: 
I know some players who also only choose to collect 2 of each breed, and I'm sure they'd love this! :lol:

I also didn't realize that Earthquake had a two-week cooldown, which is crazy with how many people have been trying for Green Cantos and Wild Shumogas nowadays lol. 1 week seems a bit more reasonable, especially given the potential need to EQ multiple times.

Precognition imo is also such a niche BSA to have on a rare dragon like an Aeon, coupled with the week-long cooldown. 
I really only use this BSA a lot during the Halloween event and sometimes Christmas for ER AP catches, which are found throughout the majority of the event. Halloween will drain your Precog stash in a matter of hours if you aren't picky enough.
Maybe an adjustment to the two days or something like the Magi, especially given the power of an Aeon? I get if this isn't as important as other variant-dependent BSAs; personally it's just annoying to feel inclined to collect 100+ of such a rare and stubborn breed just so I can find properly-gendered hatchies come Halloween. 😅

I'm also a bit of a niche breeder; having mostly metallic x holiday projects. Breeding that kind of thing though, there are often pairings that don't give an egg for a year or more if they suck. Looking at you, Erador x Silver checker! smh Because of that, I really like utilizing Fertility and have so far collected about 215 Purples for the purpose (still counting!). I ran out recently, I think after Halloween breeding had ended. 😅 and I had very few eggs to show for it, which was doubly-upsetting along with having to wait the two weeks to breed any new pairings or risk rejection. I think this had included new checkers, prizes, metallics, and CBs I didn't want refusing.
 I just generally breed a lot and would love to see the cooldown reduced to one week for them, rather than having worry about collecting a certain percentage of Purples as I have projects to breed plus extras. I also know that most users do not have 215 or more Purples at their disposal, meaning they have to be much more careful about using the BSA.

BSA hoards have always been a big part of the game because of the waiting periods they have coupled with their utility, but I really do agree that if we continue to see more breed variants dependent on these actions and more breeds overall, reducing cooldowns wouldn't at all be a bad way to go to help balance things out. ^_^ 

9 hours ago, Metafarers said:

It would make a big different to me if reds/pinks/and purples had their cooldown lowered to 1 week, instead of two. I'm less concerned with alt purposes, and just, hastening up egg hatching and making sure I can do projects. Its frustrating and hard to prioritize getting more BSA dragons when you want to continue projects, but I have been trying.

Just for the record - pink CD IS one week. Purple, red, green, bolt and white are two weeks.

Neutral leaning towards support. It'd be nice, but I think I have enough reds that I have 100% incubate uptime. However, not everyone has this, so I'm fine if this happens.

I did notice that the red ratios in particular have been hit. Out of 60 reds, I got maybe 13 eggs in this last mass breed? A little sad for such a useful dragon.

Definitely support! Fertility and Incubate are the BSA I use most and I always end up running out, even though I'm trying to hoard as many purple/reds as possible!