Mnkn10

Green Nilia Eggs Should Stay Green When Abandoned

As it is now, green Nilia eggs turn blue if abandoned. This makes it more difficult to make lineages with green Nilias, since you either need to trade for them, or breed everything yourself. I don't think this mechanic adds anything to the game. It seemingly only exists to make lineage building more difficult. So it should be changed.

Unlike the Sapphires thread floating about I will say I'd fully support this one, atm them losing their altness almost feels like a bug and doesn't really make much sense gameplay/lore wise

...on a side note, I wonder if alt nilia hatchies also turn blue if abandoned?  Has anyone happened to try that yet?

I don't have any problem with the way they work right now. It's not hard to obtain them and you do not have to rely on anyone in order to build lineages. I wouldn't be opposed to a change either, but I want to see what the people behind the Nilias have to say about it. I remember they shared a bunch of amazing information and facts when the Blue ones were released.

27 minutes ago, Falorni said:

Unlike the Sapphires thread floating about I will say I'd fully support this one, atm them losing their altness almost feels like a bug and doesn't really make much sense gameplay/lore wise

...on a side note, I wonder if alt nilia hatchies also turn blue if abandoned?  Has anyone happened to try that yet?

How do you know if it doesn't make sense lore wise? Perhaps the artist and concept creator has something in mind that they have yet to reveal - it's way too early to claim this. Not sure what the Sapphire mechanism has to do with this though, especially the pink ones which are way too hard to obtain and require you to depend on others and hunt for specific eggs which Dragon Cave tries to discourage.

Just now, Velvetie said:

How do you know if it doesn't make sense lore wise? Perhaps the artist and concept creator has something in mind that they have yet to reveal - it's way too early to claim this. Not sure what the Sapphire mechanism has to do with this though, especially the pink ones which are way too hard to obtain and require you to depend on others and hunt for specific eggs which Dragon Cave tries to discourage.

Because based on what we know right now, the parents aren't suddenly any less fertile when the egg is abandoned lol obviously we might get more info later, in which case I'm happy to retract that opinion. 

As for sapphires, they got mentioned because that is the other thread regarding NR mechanics floating around right now, hence it felt natural to mention it, simple as that.  If the artist comes out and says them reverting to blue is intentional then that's that - I don't collect Nilias so ultimately no skin off my back either way; however atm it reminds me of how Cantors were bugged upon their initial release.

It makes absolutely no narrative sense to have them lose their greenness when it's their *parents* who needed to have an effect applied to them to make them green in the first place.

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

It makes absolutely no narrative sense to have them lose their greenness when it's their *parents* who needed to have an effect applied to them to make them green in the first place.

Exactly this, thank you for wording it better than I did! :D 

Agreed, since they are bred as a green egg, it does not make sense why they would lose their coloring upon abandoning. Other eggs such as Florets which are bred as a specific color from specific parents do not change their color randomly upon being abandoned, so it makes no sense. If you had to do something to the egg itself to make it green then it changing would be fine, but since the egg starts off as green, it should stay.

Honestly, I'd accept the lore thing if we didn't have to apply fertility to both parents for them to alt. Dropping the alt on abandon (especially since the parents don't become suddenly less fertile when they laid the egg if you abandon it) is also a huge waste of a BSA for someone who probably just wanted someone in the AP to have a nice thing, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

This is exactly it. If the green was based on doing something to the *egg*, it would make sense. But as it is green turning to blue when abandoned just doesn't make sense, they are green from the start and it's the parents that made them that way... Lore-wise, what exactly is it about abandoning that would change the egg's color?

If this isn't a glitch, I hope there is at least an explanation for why this happens. Right now it just seems like a weird mistake instead of some feature of the breed.

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

1 hour ago, Paintra said:

Honestly, I'd accept the lore thing if we didn't have to apply fertility to both parents for them to alt. Dropping the alt on abandon (especially since the parents don't become suddenly less fertile when they laid the egg if you abandon it) is also a huge waste of a BSA for someone who probably just wanted someone in the AP to have a nice thing, IMO. 

Sums up my opinions quite nicely. Double fert to be nice for someone only to lose it sucks on both sides. Seeing the nilia eggs in the ap just made me feel sad.

Maybe the idea is to encourage trading - they keep the colour then.

Nilia adults are good parents. They watch closely and are very interactive with their offspring.

Adult temperaments depend on how they were raised; if badly raised they can be a handful.

The vibrancy of the Nilia depends on the quality of their diet.

These lore tidbits suggest the abandoning ungreening is intentional; however, in light of this the fertilizing doing it doesn't make much sense. They should either be a rare bred-only alt that loses the green when ap'd (without the need for fertility), or have a mechanic similar to the new yellow sapphires. Or something else regarding care, such as having multiple BSAs used on the egg.

Edited by Shadowdrake

37 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Maybe the idea is to encourage trading - they keep the colour then.

Do they keep their color? I'm having trouble keeping up with the release thread. XD

7 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Nilia adults are good parents. They watch closely and are very interactive with their offspring.

Adult temperaments depend on how they were raised; if badly raised they can be a handful.

The vibrancy of the Nilia depends on the quality of their diet.

These lore tidbits suggest the abandoning ungreening is intentional; however, in light of this the fertilizing doing it doesn't make much sense. They should either be a rare bred-only alt that loses the green when ap'd (without the need for fertility), or have a mechanic similar to the new yellow sapphires. Or something else regarding care, such as having multiple BSAs used on the egg.

I'm inclined to agree, and I'm curious if this lore tidbit was confirmed by the spriters or just something we players clung onto XD It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me personally, but maybe I'm just reading into things wrong..? *shrugs* 

12 hours ago, Chaosdawn said:

Do they keep their color? I'm having trouble keeping up with the release thread. XD

SOMEONE posted that they did.

ETA Just tested a trade with a friend - yes.

7 hours ago, Paintra said:

I'm inclined to agree, and I'm curious if this lore tidbit was confirmed by the spriters or just something we players clung onto XD It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me personally, but maybe I'm just reading into things wrong..? *shrugs* 

One of the spriters of the new nilia confirmed it as "domesticated" nilia lore but also said they don't know why fertility was picked. So, kinda.

That still makes them turning blue when abandoned odd, it's not like feral animals stop having white spots because they're feral--even many generations in, you still see white-spotted rock doves (the common city pigeon) and white (or even pure white!) cats and dogs are rarer but not as rare as their truly wild counterparts.

This wasn't intended to make lineage building more difficult. Just because mechanics exist that some players don't like, doesn't mean we are trying to hinder lineage building or collecting. Shadow pointed out the lore tidbits, and that was the original intent with these when we created them - you get the greens because they are "good parents" (extra care for example, pampered children) and abandoning your child typically doesn't make you a good parent lol. 

That being said, using two fertilities is quite deliberate. So I am not opposed to this change. It's just up to TJ if he wants to change it. 

Edited by schenanigans

This is one thing I have no issues with. They can be traded - "put up to be adopted by a loving family". Just not kicked out on the street.

The lore makes perfect sense. No support to the suggestion.

Knowing the concept behind these alts, I do think reverting to blue makes sense when they're abandoned; what doesn't make sense to me is the use of fertility in relation to that concept. Unless someone not only is on the forums but also has inside knowledge on the matter, it would be practically impossible to figure out how to make these, and it would make no sense that they revert after abandoning since the action was performed on the adults and not on the egg. I'm not sure what the best thing to do would be though...changing the abandoning mechanism would mess with the lore, and changing how to obtain them at this point seems very unlikely. Maybe at the very least make them not change to blue as hatchlings anymore...? That way it would be very unusual but not impossible to see some in the ap, similar to rarer alts.

Edited by MissK.

this didnt make much sense to me, but hearing comments about the lore makes sense i suppose- i just wish this could have been clarified in a different way. 

Being extra fertile does not make you a good parent, just means your more likely to have kids.

I guess I understand your lore reason for it changing.  But to me, an egg that came into existence green because the parents were effected with something (fertility) should not become another color by leaving their parents (abandoning). They aren't "reverting" they are becoming something they never were to begin with. The lore doesn't fit the actions taken. Or the actions don't properly convey the lore. Whichever way you prefer to look at it.

If it stays the same, it won't affect me that much, I dont breed to the ap. But I wouldn't mind an adjustment either.

13 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Being extra fertile does not make you a good parent, just means your more likely to have kids.

In this context, it's all about working harder at it.

13 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

I guess I understand your lore reason for it changing.  But to me, an egg that came into existence green because the parents were effected with something (fertility) should not become another color by leaving their parents (abandoning). They aren't "reverting" they are becoming something they never were to begin with. The lore doesn't fit the actions taken. Or the actions don't properly convey the lore. Whichever way you prefer to look at it.

It wasn't my lore reason - I read it somewhere else and it made perfect sense. A good parent doesn't throw a child out on the street - and a pair that worked that hard to produce did REALLY want the egg.