AwkwardAvian

Slow internet users

Hello

I was wondering if it would maybe be possible to add some kind of mechanism to level the playing field a bit for those of us who can't instantly load a page. When on my home WiFi it often takes up to a good half a minute for pages to load. Sometimes I get lucky, but usually not. Mobile data is a lot faster, but its expensive where I live so that is not a sustainable solution.

I'm not asking for a complete overhaul of the game, but even if there was just one row in the AP which was only available to a smaller group of users, that could make a huge difference. It is super disheartening to know that by the time a page loads, anything of value will already have been nabbed. I've seen a lot of people with similar slow internet complaints on the event forum so I thought I would just try post it here. Even if nothing happens, at least I bring some attention to this I guess (I'm sure it's something people are already aware of but... okay, lets just post this before by anxiety stops me)

I understand where you are coming from with this. Yes. I know that my AP page loads slowly enough that I can click instantly when I see the egg and yet there is no chance that I will catch it because by the time I see it, it will be gone already.

However, I know that TJ has previously shot down the idea of having different people see different things in the AP. I think this has no chance of ever being implemented. I'm not sure how it would be decided, anyway, who would see that extra row.

Yeah, sorry - I have to agree with purplehaze. For my first couple of years here I was on dialup that dropped a lot, and took a full minute to load any page with images. But I can't see any genuinely fair way of dealing with this. It's a bit like the way I can't buy from websites that insist on sending you a time-limited code by mobile, as we have such a poor mobile signal up here that they always time out. One of the perils of everything going virtual.

Yeah, honestly this has been an issue since the very beginning of DC and I don't see anything changing. I'm not sure it's something that *could* be changed actually, I have no idea how anything could be implemented to actually help slow-connection users. (One row in the AP, how would that work? Everyone sees the same thing in the AP and that's likely not going to change, but how would that even work, how would the game 'know' you are a slow-connection user or anything like that?)

I don't want it to seem like we are just shooting down the idea/issue because believe me it's very well known that some users are at a bigger disadvantage because of internet speed and such. But given the nature of the game and the way it works, I don't see how that could be helped on the site's side. (Plus, there are many different variables here, you mention your WiFi is slow but some people are still on dial-up which is usually much slower than any Wi-Fi, some people's internet connection speed varies substantially at different points over the year or even throughout the day, are we talking straight page-loading time or do we also factor in things like how long it takes their internet to 'register' that they've clicked something, etc etc....)