TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

Well crap, if it's really EQ that'll be the hardest type to get, especially for us users who almost always have near-full scrolls, I'm not putting my other eggs at risk!

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

Well crap, if it's really EQ that'll be the hardest type to get, especially for us users who almost always have near-full scrolls, I'm not putting my other eggs at risk!

People always do say they want something rarer, lol

I committed to EQing for birthday release last release, so, i'll know soon enough. If the biomes give anything thats not a floret.

This is what my Encyclopedia looks after I warded my egg and stunned the hatchie. 🤔

Unbenannt.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nalyua said:

I got the same image after warding my egg.

After I wake up today I'll get another Cantormaris egg and ward it. If it adds a second shadow, then it's EQ and Ward for the two new BSAs. I don't want to overwrite my EQ so it'll have to wait until morning.

1 minute ago, Nalyua said:

This is what my Encyclopedia looks after I warded my egg and stunned the hatchie. 🤔

Unbenannt.jpg

Wait.... why do I have 2 sprites unlocked already???

Don't I need 2 hatchies for that???

I had an egg and a hatchie and I stunned the Hatchie and warded the egg.

Edited by Nalyua

Oh no, I'm still catching up on the last release! I can't wait to start AP-hunting for these new species, though!

Happy Birthday, DC!

Okay, I wanna be happy for the 15th birthday (big number!), I really do, but dear spriters:

Please please please stop making BSA-based variants!! Please.

BSAs exist to serve a function. Some of them, like Ward, serve a very important purpose: Preventing eggs from getting sick. To use this to alter the color of a dragon is just cruel. Someone might have to choose between a sick/dead egg and messing up a lineage project. That's really unfair. Why would you do this?

And skimming the thread, I'm hearing about things being changed by Earthquaking or even abandoning(!) eggs? Really? Just... Why can we not have some pretty eggs to collect without being messed with or endangering our dragons? This is not nice. :(

Just now, Tini said:

I committed to EQing for birthday release last release, so, i'll know soon enough. If the biomes give anything thats not a floret.

I think the peach* floret may be the only new CB egg in the lot, except possibly the gemshard variants.

I saw gemshards, cantos and sapphires in the first few drops... and didn't take any of them because i was looking for new descriptions. I haven't seen anything but florets since about the 00:20 drop, but then I stopped checking all the drops after I got 6 of them. Guess I'm going to have to trade for cantos and sapphires. My hybrid attempts were all failures. Maybe I'll fill those last two slots with florets after all.

*I've seen it called pink and orange, but I think it's between those two colors.

F in the chat for people that had the magenta floret that just lost it lol

7 minutes ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

Okay, I wanna be happy for the 15th birthday (big number!), I really do, but dear spriters:

BSAs exist to serve a function. Some of them, like Ward, serve a very important purpose: Preventing eggs from getting sick. To use this to alter the color of a dragon is just cruel. Someone might have to choose between a sick/dead egg and messing up a lineage project. That's really unfair. Why would you do this?

And skimming the thread, I'm hearing about things being changed by Earthquaking or even abandoning(!) eggs? Really? Just... Why can we not have some pretty eggs to collect without being messed with or endangering our dragons? This is not nice. :(

Almost every normal release gives you the option to just collect pretty eggs (except not really because we can't freeze them yet... I can dream!) I think it's cool how BSAs and dragon magic interact with dragon physiology. If you don't want to collect them, you definitely don't have to - you can just focus on getting the one or two obligatory ones to register them in your encyclopedia, and then never touch them again. Or just never collect them at all, and use viewing other people's dragons to fill it out (if that's what you want). And 'endangering' dragons has always been a bit of a part of DC. We have tons of body-specific zombie sprites that you can only get by killing and trying to revive dragons. Neglected dragons are the hardest ones to get. Even holiday alts rely on killing to some degree, and abandoning eggs has always been a part of DC. If you are constantly running out of wards, then I would suggest a playstyle change instead, or just collect more White dragons.

Edited by High Lord November

Is there a new hatchling variant for the regular, un-BSA'd canto?

I have two new shadows in the top variant for ungendered and gendered hatclings and the new shadows for the whole lineage of the new variants.

if the yellow sapphire variant requires a lot of attention, im gonna try to make one intentionally sick, or im gonna see if it requires a trade? not sure though.

edit: not sure if this has been said, but both nilia parents have to have a fertility bsa used on them.

edit 2: traded a sapphire egg, but it remained blue.

edit 3: sickness didnt work either :( 

Edited by dooyoo

4 minutes ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

While I completely understand the frustration, making BSAs more useful for different purposes gives people more reason to collect more of them. It *is* possible to have enough where you never have to 'choose' between using it for it's BSA-purpose or using it for some alt-mechanic. (I haven't run out of Incubates in years, for example, even though I Incubate a good 90% of all eggs I get.)

Does anyone have any ideas for the other Floret variants? One is the new Jungle drop, but what about the others? I've seen talk about Cantors, Electrics, the Royal hybrid, etc, but any ideas about the Florets?

4 minutes ago, Tini said:

F in the chat for people that had the magenta floret that just lost it lol

Apologies, there were some miscommunications about mechanics that we’re sorting out. Thanks for your patience everyone :)

4 minutes ago, Spyridon said:

Is there a new hatchling variant for the regular, un-BSA'd canto?

I have two new shadows in the top variant for ungendered and gendered hatclings and the new shadows for the whole lineage of the new variants.

impossible to know if its intended or a glitch until TJ's eggs hatch. All of the encyc were screwed up in the first hour.

14 minutes ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

I agree Cantormarus eggs are hard enough to find as it is, let alone having a form that puts you at risk of killing them

LOL. I should not be surprised, but I was a bit. New hybrids already offered in trading hub.

13 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

And 'endangering' dragons has always been a bit of a part of DC. We have tons of body-specific zombie sprites that you can only get by killing and trying to revive dragons. Neglected dragons are the hardest ones to get. Even holiday alts rely on killing to some degree, and abandoning eggs has always been a part of DC. If you are constantly running out of wards, then I would suggest a playstyle change instead, or just collect more White dragons.

Until recently, only Zombies, Vampires, and Neglecteds were required to kill/risk killing something to obtain. They're rare(ish) and can't breed, they're not "normal" dragons and you don't have to use BSAs to obtain them. Pitfires just barely happened and there is no risk of the dragon actually dying.

I am not running out of Wards, but I just Warded two Cantos that I now need bounced again (someone?) and that frustrates me. I don't want to risk my eggs getting sick because I'm trying to make them the proper color. Furthermore, I always hate how dismissive everyone gets when someone has a complaint. "Just don't collect them if you don't like them." Duh. But who said I didn't like them? I'm just extremely frustrated at the mechanics used to get them and I know I'm not the only one.

Edited by Spiteful_Crow

10 minutes ago, saltywench said:

omg, I'm gonna need a flow chart!!

When you get it done, please share!

Edited by Fyrebird

4 minutes ago, Pixxelation said:

Apologies, there were some miscommunications about mechanics that we’re sorting out. Thanks for your patience everyone :)

I don't mean this as a criticism in any way, just an interesting observation: From this comment and others in past releases (including spriters seemingly being surprised when their sprite suddenly gets released) it seems like there isn't a whole lot of 'before-release' communication. Double-checking mechanics, notifying artists that they'll be released soon, etc. Simply as someone always interested in the behind-the-scenes workings, I find that interesting. Kind of puts the artists on more of a user-level than 'special knowledge workers' level.