Deletethis

Dear TJ why did you do this?

When I saw the news I though this might be something good like upgrading Reds or Stones, yet... Or some minor fixes in any other sprites. We have lots of candidates for improvement.  And I see this instead...

I really want to know why simply removing comments and posts you disliked wasn't an option? Why did you decide to change dragon sprites? And if you wanted to change them... why with these sprites? Seriously? A chicken instead of Seragamma wyvern? Creepy halloween dragon for Holiday 2011? New electric dragon looks like it is executed by electricity. I get the idea that tastes differ, but you could at least collect variants and propositions from other artists and users. Create polls about variants. I can't believe that this was the best choice.

That was the saddest update in the site's newsfeed for the whole my being here.

(I know you or mods will delete it. I don't care)

Tj literally explained that the original artist was an incredibly horrible person and the whole site wants nothing to do with them anymore. As someone who knows who he's referring to, I agree that they were legitimately awful, the sort of person who could easily be a physical and psychological danger to other people because of their own bigotry, and the sort of stuff they said would have gotten them banned immediately if they were a regular user. TJ changed everything because he and the rest of staff don't want any of that person's contributions on the site anymore, ever.

It's alright to be upset that your favorite sprites were changed so drastically, but it's unnecessary to insult the work of people just trying to fix the wrongs of someone else.

Then please-please provide some examples. Otherwise this looks terribly wrong thing to do. And what did this artist do? Killed a person? Why should I believe anything of it?

And why no options? Why couldnt we have any polls about replacements? No variants of sprites?

Those of us who have seen examples of the stuff they posted would not wish to repeat what was said, even as examples. I have seen some of it. This was necessary. I am NOT about to quote racism, anti-semitism and the rest  of their stuff here just to help you see the need for this. I'm sorry you don't believe it - but it is true. They weren't posts here; they are all over the internet. To keep their presence here would have been like having sprites by (inset the name of the worst person you can imagine.) Not OK.

And why no discussion ahead of the announcement ? - to avoid threads like this; it needed a short sharp END to their presence here. Yes I am sad for some of my lines, but sometimes when a situation demands it, we have to bite the bullet. I think the new sprites are lovely; I shall miss some of the old ones, but even so, it's OK in these circumstances. 

AFAIK we aren't going to get discussion of sprite updates in general - and after the thread about the silvers, I'm glad of that, even though I still mourn the old ones.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Before this gets deleted:

Thank you TJ for being a strong person who stands for the rights of everyone!

Oh and I love the new sprites, they are A W E S O M E!

You know you do sound like dystopian stuff with "greater good" and so on?
Society doesn't ban books, films and any others pieces of art unless a creator was literally a Hitler. I don't believe the author of original sprites was. It's like saying that no one ever should watch Caribbean pirates because Depp's lost his trial.

2 minutes ago, Trishka said:

Society doesn't ban books, films and any others pieces of art unless a creator was literally a Hitler. I don't believe the author of original sprites was.

It was certainly related to that topic.

It's like saying that no one ever should watch Caribbean pirates because Depp's lost his trial.

This isn't comparable.

How so? If these person is actually disliked so completely, then why *replace* breads? It was possible just to remove them. I wouldn't like, but it would be more accurately to an idea of distancing.

Edited by Trishka

Just now, Trishka said:

How so? If these person is actually disliked so completely, then why *replace* breads? It was possible just to remove this. I wouldn't like, but it would be more accurately to an idea of distancing.

Changing the sprites causes much less of an uproar. Removing them entirely would break lineages (possibly coding-wise too, I'm unsure) and actually invalidates peoples' hard work in creating projects or collecting them. With sprite changes, at least the dragons are still there.

Funny you should mention Hitler. You're not far off. This wasn't simply a greater good. This was best for everyone. The vile written words made by said person were beyond wrong. I won't post the link here. This is not the place for it, but the persons were cruel in the way they treated others, and even that is a vast understatement. 

As for replacing the breeds. I'd imagine its respect that TJ and the others have for a fellow artist. Not keeping their work and replacing it is better than holding onto something that's a sore spot for many. Like digging at an old wound that's scarred over. It'd only make it worse.

creating projects or collecting them. With sprite changes, at least the dragons are still there.

so this "replacement" doesnt break lineages? Doesn't break how they are looking right now?

Just now, Trishka said:

so this "replacement" doesnt break lineages? Doesn't break how they are looking right now?

No.

Funny you should mention Hitler. You're not far off. This wasn't simply a greater good. This was best for everyone. The vile written words made by said person were beyond wrong. I won't post the link here. This is not the place for it, but the persons were cruel in the way they treated others, and even that is a vast understatement. 

Then ban the words, ban the author, let us still enjoy a good artwork. It was better then we've got right now. Soulpeace doesn't even look like a hybrid bread anymore!

Replacing the Sprites may change the look of lineages, but it doesn't completely destroy years of work which removing the dragons completely would.

3 minutes ago, Trishka said:

No.

How sad it is.

And yes... thinking and saying bad things is not forbidden until a person will actually try to break a criminal code of any country. People say things on the internet all the time.

Just now, JaneMcAsh said:

Replacing the Sprites may change the look of lineages, but it doesn't completely destroy years of work which removing the dragons completely would.

Very upsetting is that it happens now when I finally had time and wish to play in creating lineages with exactly these breads.

Edited by Trishka

2 minutes ago, Trishka said:

It was better then we've got right now. Soulpeace doesn't even look like a hybrid bread anymore!

Please remember that the people who made the new sprites are real people and you're effectively insulting their hard work.

5 minutes ago, Trishka said:

How so? If these person is actually disliked so completely, then why *replace* breads? It was possible just to remove them. I wouldn't like, but it would be more accurately to an idea of distancing.

You would rather your lineage fell over completely with blank spaces as if someone had killed the dragons ?

Yes, TJ - thank you for doing this., I am sorry some people can't understand the need; the only explanation is that they never saw the vile stuff out there.

13 minutes ago, Trishka said:

at no one ever should watch Caribbean pirates because Depp's lost his trial.

Actually I don't believe Depp was guilty. Amber Heard is a liar. But the stuff about Depp was nothing compared to the stuff posted by this particular individual. If you are OK being associated with their work - that's your privilege. I am glad not to have them on my scroll. Solidarity with all those people they still abuse regularly.

That doesn't mean they should actually say those things. Words have real consequences, and minorities have the right to exist and use the internet and be protected from bigots the way they (should) be by irl laws. Also, DC is a private individual's endeavor, not a site run by the government, and ultimately, TJ has every right to remove any user he feels goes against his vision of what DC should be. Also, Twitter and other huge social media platforms with millions of members ban fascists and bigots, so it's not like this is an unprecedented move.

Seconded, Keileon. I definitely have a soft spot for some discontinued sprites, but changing them isn't up to me. If I really hate it so much, I'd leave.

4 minutes ago, Trishka said:

How sad it is.

And yes... thinking and saying bad things is not forbidden until a person will actually try to break a criminal code of any country. People say things on the internet all the time.

Actually what they are posting all the time is against the law on most platforms and in most countries. Ar you OK with people spouting racism and the rest on the internet ? I doubt it. Should we encourage it by ignoring it and showcasing racists' work, just to have exactly what we want on our scrolls ? Pixels over common decency ?

4 minutes ago, Trishka said:

Very upsetting is that it happens now when I finally had time and wish to play in creating lineages with exactly these breads.

I have current lines with them too. I will get over it.

1 minute ago, Trishka said:

Then ban the words, ban the author, let us still enjoy a good artwork. It was better then we've got right now. Soulpeace doesn't even look like a hybrid bread anymore!

May I ask you if you understand how art ownership works? Copyright is an ugly beast to tangle with, but they did the work, and own the art. Its not ours to keep. Never was. Pretty to look at, but a couple months back others sprites were given a make over. 

This time its for a more serious reason, and TJ has already apologized and explained why he and the mods did what they did. I for one am glad TJ removed all ties to such a person. It shows where he and the others stand, and I respect them all the more for it.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You would rather your lineage fell over completely with blank spaces as if someone had killed the dragons ?

Yes. And now my favourite breeds are turned into monstrosity.

You know, just ban this acc. Seriously. I don't want to have any more in common with your site.

I, too, have seen some of the things said and would not repeat them because of their blatant malicious bigotry.  I'm more surprised it's happening now, rather than years ago, as this user has a history dating back at least as far as 2014 with their racist commentary (I cannot speak to any of their other comments, as I haven't seen them but I've heard tell of their continued behavior.  I'm rather curious what prompted this now, rather than years ago, but there's a reason TJ didn't go into details in the post--I expect that's not meant for those of us not directly involved in the situation to know, and curious though I am, I respect that.  Especially if it means protecting the privacy of their victims rather than forcing them to come forward and trot out their suffering to prove to people that it was "enough" to warrant an on-site change.)

Besides, if a privately owned website decides they wish to wash their hands of involvement with a person for their behavior--or any reason, really--that's something that is their decision.  It's like when a publisher drops a book by a bigot, or when somebody gets kicked off a creative project.  Happens all the time out in the wider world as well as on relatively small websites.

If you disagree with it, you're free to stop collecting those breeds or even using the site--I know there's been people who've stopped using the site because of that person's continued presence over the years, after all.

I say this as a person who does feel that, while lovely in and of themselves, some of the replacements completely ruined the lines I worked hard on because it changes the appearance so much.  I am, for once, more than happy to accept this because this was for a very, very good reason.

It really is rather rude and hurtful to blast our artists' work just because you are mad about some pixels. There are several breeds I really dislike - have been for years. I use different ones. You could do that too. But if you don't want to play because TJ has stood up to a monstrously unpleasant person, that, too, is your right.

1 minute ago, KageSora said:

I say this as a person who does feel that, while lovely in and of themselves, some of the replacements completely ruined the lines I worked hard on because it changes the appearance so much.  I am, for once, more than happy to accept this because this was for a very, very good reason.

They haven't RUINED my lines, but I am sad about a couple. I entirely agree.

'why now' is partly dependent on having the sheer amount of art ready.

And also I suspect there may have been a new rash of vile posts recently. That kind of thing is on the rise and we all need to stand against it.