Paradisiske

Let everyone who enters the monthly raffle win a prize.

Then put them in the market at a whacking price. If there is a lottery - that is NOT the same as a give-away.

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Personally, I'm fine with more people getting a Prize dragon. Once a month or once a year - I don't mind.

They are such pretty sprites I feel it's a shame that they are artificially limited that way.

I'd like more people getting prizes, not just everyone all at once. 

5 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Personally, I'm fine with more people getting a Prize dragon. Once a month or once a year - I don't mind.

They are such pretty sprites I feel it's a shame that they are artificially limited that way.

So increase the amount of dragons given per raffle?

At current, isn't it 60 winners with the breakdown being:

5 gold tinsel, 5 gold shimmer, 10 silver tinsel, 10 silver shimmer, 15 bronze tinsel, 15 bronze shimmer

I'm still not in support of prizes for all, but again don't mind the option of more prizes provided it doesn't get too out of hand

Edited by ShorahNagi

Just now, ShorahNagi said:

At current, isn't it 60 winners with the breakdown being:

Nope. TJ had adjusted it already to increase or decrease with the number of entrants. We currently do not know how many are given out each month.

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

Nope. TJ had adjusted it already to increase or decrease with the number of entrants. We currently do not know how many are given out each month.

Ah, must have missed that announcement *goes back and edits her post*

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Not quite. Not decrease, his announcement post specifically said it was be "at least the previous count'

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Not quite. Not decrease, his announcement post specifically said it was be "at least the previous count'

Ah awesome. I failed in finding that post XD Thanks for bringing it here!

4 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

"at least the previous count'

of 60. Don't skip the important part ;) Otherwise it would mean the numbers would only ever go up and up.

I inherently dislike the idea of prize-exclusive dragons as they randomly reward people without any bias. For a game that for many people is based on collection, that's a disaster. Get unlucky and you'll just never pick up those last CBs to finish said collection. TJ said himself he never wanted donation incentive dragons for a similar reason, so that people wouldn't be excluded due to financial advantage. But raffle dragons are really just as bad in that they reward something that many people are just unable to reach: incredible luck. Giving someone who has been around months as much of a chance as someone who has been trying for years? Sure, random luck, equal opportunity, but this site should be rewarding people who have put time and effort in. And the raffles go in the face of that, especially for an adopt site.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be opposed to a "new" prize dragon that's in much greater circulation. Maybe rewarding everyone who enters is silly, but something at a much greater quantity than the existing prize ratio.

I liked the former raffles where winners could choose (almost) any dragon of their choice, with a custom code. That isn't an advantage, or an exclusivity for a specific breed. But it's a nice prize to have.

edit. yes I know some dragons can never be CB, that's not the point here. Nor should that be reason to say that CB prizes are not important for completion. Alright, guess it's subjective but still.

Edited by Ashywolf

We don't know what the existing ratio specifically is since TJ made raffle adjustments back in 2019. Also female hollies and CB alt blacks/hybrids are exclusivities to their breeds.

Edited by Jazeki

I've never been happy about the raffle either, especially just the horrible odds and yes the random/equality... Yes, RNG is 'fair' in that it's not biased in any way, but it also means that some people win multiple times while others never win at all. That's not the kind of 'fair' that's really helpful in a collecting game. I personally wish the monthly raffles had never started, and CB Prizes remained a very super-niche thing of the past.... But I digress. I *still* would never support something as extreme and pointless as handing out CB Prizes to every single person who enters the raffle every month. Increase the amount given (much more than it has been), put them in the Market so we can actually control our ability to get them, I'll support a lot of ways to allow more users access to them, but not this. 

Hell, even if the gold prizes were in the shop for 10,000 crystals that would be an improvement. Means that people have a measure of being rewarded for their persistence and activity.

Not a fan, no support. 

They're called "Prize" dragons for a reason. They're not supposed to be passed out like candy, like others said. It'd turn into participation trophies rather than an actual prize, since everyone would get one. 

Perhaps it's time for a new Prize dragon? Shimmer scales came out ages ago. We'd have 3 types, of 3 variants then with a new dragon. It'd retain the meaning for Prize dragons, with more of a chance to get drawn for the raffles. Of course there would be people wanting the new Prize dragon but the number of winners would go up, which is the main thing for this topic. 

Hmm... I'm a fan of the idea of making prizes more likely, especially for long-time players who are frustrated by not getting a prize yet, but I also agree that this would take away some of that 'prize' element. Has anyone suggested something relating to how frequently in a row you've entered the raffle? Like, if you've entered the last three raffles in a row, then your odds of winning SOMETHING go up? And once you win, your odds go back to the beginning and your subsequent entries into the raffle slowly start to build up your odds again.

*shrugs* I agree that it's frustrating sometimes that some people have no prizes, or only one, while others have several, but it's difficult to find a way to change that that doesn't turn them, as others have said, into mere sandwiches at the end of a punch card.

"Passed out like candy"

Lucky youngster. I do remember times when candy was strictly reserved for special holidays.

(I couldn't care less for the "Prize" aspect of Tinsels and Shimmerscales. They're just really pretty sprites.)

2 hours ago, BlitzDrake said:

They're called "Prize" dragons for a reason...

2 hours ago, BlitzDrake said:

Perhaps it's time for a new Prize dragon? Shimmer scales came out ages ago...   It'd retain the meaning for Prize dragons, with more of a chance to get drawn for the raffles. Of course there would be people wanting the new Prize dragon but the number of winners would go up, which is the main thing for this topic. 

IMHO, this might be the very best solution to the problem.  In addition to increasing the total number of winners each month, a new dragon would give a boost to overall interest in the monthly raffle. Not to mention, it would be fun! :D

3 hours ago, Feathers said:

Hmm... I'm a fan of the idea of making prizes more likely, especially for long-time players who are frustrated by not getting a prize yet, but I also agree that this would take away some of that 'prize' element. Has anyone suggested something relating to how frequently in a row you've entered the raffle? Like, if you've entered the last three raffles in a row, then your odds of winning SOMETHING go up? And once you win, your odds go back to the beginning and your subsequent entries into the raffle slowly start to build up your odds again.

*shrugs* I agree that it's frustrating sometimes that some people have no prizes, or only one, while others have several, but it's difficult to find a way to change that that doesn't turn them, as others have said, into mere sandwiches at the end of a punch card.

I like the idea of your odds increasing with how many raffles you enter. I'm not sure what the best way of scaling it would be, but say every consecutive loss increases your odds slightly. So if you enter and lose ten times in a row your odds would improve slightly ten times. This would give better odds to long-time players.

13 minutes ago, UnicornMaiden said:

(...)This would give better odds to long-time players.

I fail to see how this is fair; I understand the frustration of not getting anything in literal years, totally been there, but I don't think the newer players should be at a disadvantage just because of that. Currently both newer and older players are treated equally brutally by the RNG, there's no need to make it worse than it already is. x'D Either increase the odds for everyone, or for no one.

Absolutely against giving out prizes at 100% win rate through the raffle system; there will be no point of the raffle system to even exist when the shinies can just be put in the market for some high price or something and the effect will be the same. No need for two identical features to exist side by side.

Edited by Orchi'dea

Adding another prize breed would absolutely not fix the problem. It would just compound it by adding yet another desirable limited breed. When shimmers came out, tinsels were devalued slightly and the desire (and perceived value) of the shimmers shot through the roof. I remember trading cb and 2nd gen metals back when they were super hard to come by....just to get on a list for a clean 10th gen shimmer. And this was after years of struggling to get clean lineaged tinsels.

Edited by Jazeki

8 hours ago, Jazeki said:

Adding another prize breed would absolutely not fix the problem. It would just compound it by adding yet another desirable limited breed. When shimmers came out, tinsels were devalued slightly and the desire (and perceived value) of the shimmers shot through the roof. I remember trading cb and 2nd gen metals back when they were super hard to come by....just to get on a list for a clean 10th gen shimmer. And this was after years of struggling to get clean lineaged tinsels.

I trade 2 gen metals for far less than that; I'll trade them for whatever I need at the time. Value for me is about filling that hole in my lineage !

I don't CARE about them being devalued - "value" as a concept here is about the only thing I don't like about the game, but I really can't see how adding another breed will help anything at all. It will just get people starting all over again about no fair, exclusivity and the rest. MOST of anger around the raffle has dissipated since it started happening every month; let's not start it all over again. Yes I would almost kill for a CB silver shimmer - but not enough to want any part of this suggestion (except possibly the ability to buy one in the market.)

I don't fully support is idea either sorry, I can see were the op and the thread is coming from to an extent but after all a raffle is a raffle it's not garenteed, you enter with the knowledgeyou may not win, the prize dragons are alsi designed to be hard to aquire and highly loved when your lucky enough to win one.

The only way I can see it improving is making it more of a "lucky dip" than a raffle, the prizes work as they currently do but everyone who participates gets some sort of token prize, like a common egg or something else like shards. So not everyone wins something big but you don't leave empty handed just a thought its probably been suggested in here already, sorry if it has, but other wise I think it should stay the same.

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I trade 2 gen metals for far less than that; I'll trade them for whatever I need at the time. Value for me is about filling that hole in my lineage !

I don't CARE about them being devalued - "value" as a concept here is about the only thing I don't like about the game, but I really can't see how adding another breed will help anything at all. It will just get people starting all over again about no fair, exclusivity and the rest. MOST of anger around the raffle has dissipated since it started happening every month; let's not start it all over again. Yes I would almost kill for a CB silver shimmer - but not enough to want any part of this suggestion (except possibly the ability to buy one in the market.)

Fuzz, I was talking about how trading was when tinsels were first a thing and then shimmers were added after it was already hard enough to try and get one prize. Many prize owners are like you and very generous. I've been gifted a few 2nd gens even! But, it's hard to see how "adding another prize will fix this" after experiencing trading back in the day. 

I'm still no towards lucky dip as well. Unless I could buy prizes in the market, I don't want shards. I can also see how upset someone would be to see that notification that they won a raffle only to get a common dragon.

@Jazeki

I know - but some of the responses here have been about their "value" falling if we all get one just for entering, and while I absolutely do not support that suggestion, their "value" is not something I give a toss about. There are still posts "What can I get for a 2gen prize - a CB staterae maybe ?" Well - no chance, even now ! And I totally agree - adding another will make it all worse. For a while there will be vanishingly few of them, and....

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

MOST of anger around the raffle has dissipated since it started happening every month; let's not start it all over again. Yes I would almost kill for a CB silver shimmer - but not enough to want any part of this suggestion (except possibly the ability to buy one in the market.)

Exactly! What we do NOT need is another exclusive breed to stir things up again!

@Fuzzbucket I agree. I don't really like how value is perceived in this game either, but it unfortunately is a driving force for a lot of the game since trading is now a thing.

I wouldn't care all that much if prizes dropped in worth, but I certainly don't think handing them out will change the fact that people want to win them in the raffles because they are prize dragons.

I also don't think giving out a new dragon is going to do anything but devalue old ones further and further widen the division between prize owners and non-owners. There's already an unspoken tier list that CB prizes are better than lineaged ones (get a 2nd gen, if you must), shimmers are better than tinsels, gold is better than the other colors, et cetera. (Not my opinion, but just observing over the many years of DC trading. I trade most of what I own for one CB hatchling lol.)

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

@Jazeki

I know - but some of the responses here have been about their "value" falling if we all get one just for entering, and while I absolutely do not support that suggestion, their "value" is not something I give a toss about. There are still posts "What can I get for a 2gen prize - a CB staterae maybe ?" Well - no chance, even now ! And I totally agree - adding another will make it all worse. For a while there will be vanishingly few of them, and....

I think the term "value" in this context means different things to different people.

In terms of trading value, I don't really care about that. I've already noticed that 2G prizes don't draw nearly as many offers in the Trading Hub as they used to. And that's okay! It's not fair if people with CB prizes can command the Hub. It's much better if more people can have more prizes to make more nice lineages. That way you get a lot of nice things that are really worth trading for. In this sense of "value" I feel like making the prizes more accessible is a good thing.

There's also market value. A dragon that is worth more shards requires more effort to earn. That's where I really don't like this suggestion. Like I outlined in an earlier post, giving away prizes to anyone who enters the raffle puts their market value lower than even the cheapest commons. The market value is a reflection of rarity, so to me it would be like making Gold and Staterae eggs available to buy super cheap.

The less tangible way of looking at value is just how much people want them. Frills were temporarily discontinued because they became so common that their desirability plummeted. I would hate to see that happen to any other breed.

Reading through discussions on Prizes I often get the impression that miscommuncations occur because different people mean different things when they refer to the dragons being valuable.