TJ09

2021-04-25 - April Dragon Release

39 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

You should totally give him a Thuwed name. He's the real thing in my opinion. XD 

Seconded 100%, tell TJ to hand over the Thuwed mantle :D 

51 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

You should totally give him a Thuwed name. He's the real thing in my opinion. XD 

11 minutes ago, Falorni said:

Seconded 100%, tell TJ to hand over the Thuwed mantle :D 

They have another adult male already with a Thuwed name!

3 hours ago, VixenDra said:

For some mysterious reasons males tend to be done first and so end up looking better than the female in vast majority of breeds (which is also why my cousin influenced his prize female, he just considered most of males better looking)... they are usually cleaner posed, show the breed better, and since the second done sprite is also a kind of an attempt to redo the same design again, which is not that easy to do as far as I've seen in the artworld (seems universal), it's easy to loose a bit of the charm or shapes while spriting the design again (because even with dimporphism it's typically about addons/details, not the base, the base needs to stay the same to keep the breed-level similarity). Humans are wired this way I guess and it is pretty frequent if the same design is done twice in a short period of time (when the artist's skill level still remains the same between the 2 depictions) that the second attempt is much harder to do and may end up less appealing, especially with the pixelart and its limitations.
In some breeds this will be more prominent, in others might even flip and favor the second done sprite but the latter is pretty rare for second gender being done very soon after the first, this is just how most of creators are and it's simply a natural consequence of how humans are made.
I just wish it was a less omnipresent tactics and that females were also done first as frequently as males are^^; ("Ladies first, please" xD) this would naturally even this out:P

this is honsetly kinda why i like breeds without dimorphism ;) keeps it nice, clean, and universal.

Re: dimorphism: you could put two of the greatest artist in the world's pieces next to each other and you'd still have a favorite. Doesn't mean they aren't both awesome! I pick favorites too but if both look great overall it's just more to love.

I very often MUCH prefer the females. In the case of the Sawtooth, I do. Anagallis, too, Antarean, and Aria.... Can't be bothered to go through them all - but I really think suggesting there's some kind of weird misogyny at work here is misplaced.

34 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I very often MUCH prefer the females. In the case of the Sawtooth, I do. Anagallis, too, Antarean, and Aria.... Can't be bothered to go through them all - but I really think suggesting there's some kind of weird misogyny at work here is misplaced.

I do find that female sprites have a tendency to be less dynamic/more passive than the male sprites, but I'd have to go through and get the numbers to know if it's actually a thing or not.

Edited by High Lord November

5 hours ago, VixenDra said:

For some mysterious reasons males tend to be done first and so end up looking better than the female in vast majority of breeds (which is also why my cousin influenced his prize female, he just considered most of males better looking)... they are usually cleaner posed, show the breed better, and since the second done sprite is also a kind of an attempt to redo the same design again, which is not that easy to do as far as I've seen in the artworld (seems universal), it's easy to loose a bit of the charm or shapes while spriting the design again (because even with dimporphism it's typically about addons/details, not the base, the base needs to stay the same to keep the breed-level similarity). Humans are wired this way I guess and it is pretty frequent if the same design is done twice in a short period of time (when the artist's skill level still remains the same between the 2 depictions) that the second attempt is much harder to do and may end up less appealing, especially with the pixelart and its limitations.
In some breeds this will be more prominent, in others might even flip and favor the second done sprite but the latter is pretty rare for second gender being done very soon after the first, this is just how most of creators are and it's simply a natural consequence of how humans are made.
I just wish it was a less omnipresent tactics and that females were also done first as frequently as males are^^; ("Ladies first, please" xD) this would naturally even this out:P

None of my dimorphic sets had genders before both were finished or near finished apart from the Black Tea. This comment is based on some untrue assumptions and every artist works differently.

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I doubt they were implying any kind of misogyny issue specifically!  I do agree with you otherwise though, in a lot of cases I tend to prefer the female sprites myself (Fem Venturis and Labradorites my beloved...)

Edited by Falorni

I did say a weird kind of misogyny. ALWAYS starting with the male sprite (f it were true) does imply taking males more seriously. And I disagreed very much - as I said.  Marri nailed it and SHE should know !

44 minutes ago, Marrionetta said:

None of my dimorphic sets had genders before both were finished or near finished apart from the Black Tea. This comment is based on some untrue assumptions and every artist works differently.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

6 hours ago, VixenDra said:

Honestly, this seems really off base. Very often the first sprite done is just done, and unless you are looking for a specific pose for a gender, they tend to be assigned after. And there have been many cases in which a female has outshined a male sprite to me. Just because you might tend to like male sprites more does not in any way equate to misogyny on the part of creators, and its pretty rude to assume/allude that it does imo.  Liking or disliking or attributing a sprite as "better" than its dimorphic counterpart is completely subjective to the preference of the viewer. 

for what it's worth, of my 5 dimorphic breeds, the female was the original sprite on 3 of them.

I completely missed this release but OMG I ADORE the Sawtooths! They're so cool :D

For anyone who likes this sort of info, I bred my one desert Magnesium (thanks, EQ!) to a Gilded Bloodscale, and it appears that the resulting Magnesium egg is sorting with my Volcano hatchlings.

I am such a ditz...I couldn't find the Sawtooth, LOL.  Finally realized it's the new release - and I like the females way better.

I think people just need to remember that just because "they" like one form better, that doesn't mean "everyone" will.  It's true in all of life, and you see it all the time.   I think it's just human nature.

That said, I am going to get more chirpies and make them female.  it also seems to me that there's something off in the size ratios of various parts of the male body.  This has struck me with quite a few dragons, though, and I suppose it's just "me", LOL.

1 hour ago, Commander Wymsy said:

For anyone who likes this sort of info, I bred my one desert Magnesium (thanks, EQ!) to a Gilded Bloodscale, and it appears that the resulting Magnesium egg is sorting with my Volcano hatchlings.

OH - that IS interesting.... thanks.

These are both such cool new breeds. I love the long gharial snouts of the Sawtooths (crocodilians are always awesome), and there's something about the head shape of the Magnesiums that I really like. I rarely breed anything that isn't a standard dragon or a pygmy but it's still nice to have new two-headed options. I can't wait to see the pretty lineages everyone comes up with for these two.

Are there any threads yet for lineage ideas for these two new dragons? I poked around the forums but don't see any, and figured I'd ask here in case I'm missing them and anyone else wants the links too :)

8 minutes ago, Silverwatermist said:

Are there any threads yet for lineage ideas for these two new dragons? I poked around the forums but don't see any, and figured I'd ask here in case I'm missing them and anyone else wants the links too :)

The majority of the players haven't had their dragons grow up to adults yet so currently the lineage threads aren't up yet! :D But you will see them posted here some time after they grow up :D 

10 of the new amphipteres and they ALL gendered female on my scroll, I think my luck is worse than TJ's, LMAO

Time to seek genderswaps on the trading market

1 hour ago, ylangylang said:

The majority of the players haven't had their dragons grow up to adults yet so currently the lineage threads aren't up yet! :D But you will see them posted here some time after they grow up :D 

Thank you! Is it strange that I forgot that all of our dragons hadn't grown up yet? Haha 😅 I'll keep an eye out for those threads later, then!