purplehaze

20 Week Breeding Challenge: 2021

Welcome to the 20-Week Breeding Challenge: 2021 edition!

Sorry, but sign-ups are now closed.

What is the Challenge, you ask? 

Starting Sunday, May 9, 2021 we will be competing to see who can create the longest lineage (with a cohesive pattern) in a 20 week time period.  The challenge will end on September 26, 2021.

Why 20 weeks?

It seems a good length of time to build a fairly long lineage while still being able to keep people interested and engaged.

It allows us to finish before the holiday breeding madness begins.

It's a nice round number!

Why should you participate in the challenge? 

Good Question!

First of all because it is FUN!

Also – PRIZES! Every member who joins this project, will be offering a prize (sort of like a poker pot) at the end of this project. The plan is for everyone who finishes the challenge to win a prize. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will get to pick their prizes from the pot first. The rest of the prizes will be randomly distributed to the remaining finishers.

Rules (because we do need rules!):

• All lineages must be some form of stair or spiral format.

• One of the base starting dragons MUST have a "Stolen on" date of May 9, 2021 or later. The other dragon (its mate) may be a previously existing CB dragon. The last dragon in your line must have a “Laid on” date of September 26, 2021 or earlier in order to be counted.

• You must create a public group for all dragons produced/used in the project.

• All dragons in the final lineage must be on your scroll and in your group at the end of the Challenge.

• Inbreeding will be allowed.

• At the end of the challenge each player will be asked to contribute one prize. It can be an offspring of your challenge lineage, or anything else you choose.

Forms (because we need those, too!):

To Join:

~~~~~~~~

A New Challenger Enters!

Scroll Link (optional):
Forum Name:
Today's Date:

Starter Dragon (link and name if named)

Challenge Group Link (required):

Goal (Plan for your lineage):

Reporting your lineage growth (Ideally to be posted each time you breed a new dragon for your lineage):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Lineage gets longer!

Proof (link to egg's lineage):

What Gen are you on now?:

Prize offering (At the end of the challenge):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would like to offer a prize!

Lineage Link to Egg:

OR

Description of What You'll Breed/Have Bred:

Edited by purplehaze

Participants:

Name | Scroll | Group

Fuzzbucket | Scroll | Group

ChaosdawnScroll | Group

Ruby Eyes |        | Group

rinoa26 |        | Group

Miraku | Scroll | Group

missy | Scroll | Group

AwkwardAvianScroll | Group

SerotinaScroll | Group

Long_before_sunrise |        | Group

AqubScroll | Group

purplehazeScroll | Group

LagieScroll | Group

digitalthunderScroll | Group

azurewingsofwind Scroll | Group

BringsTheSnowScroll | Group

Edited by purplehaze

Final Standings:

1. Chaosdawn | 26th gen

2. Rinoa26 | 25th gen

3. Lagie24th gen

4. purplehaze | 24th gen

5. Fuzzbucket | 24th gen

6. digitalthunder | 24th gen

7. missy | 21st gen

8. Miraku | 20th gen

9. BringsTheSnow | 19th gen

10. azurewingsofwind | 14th gen

11. Aqub | 13th gen

Please note that standings go by when your egg was posted here, not by when it was bred.

Withdrawn:

Long_before_sunrise | 8th gen

AwkwardAvian | 7th gen

Serotina | 5th gen

Ruby Eyes | 4th gen

Edited by purplehaze

Prizes offered: description of egg offered + link to post where it was offered if there is more information there

purplehaze: 2G non-holiday offspring from one of my alt Sweetlings -- breed of your choice

Fuzzbucket: 2 gen tinsel - bred to a mate of your choice. He is an evil tin, and it may take a bit...

Lagie: I can offer an egg from my female CB gold tinsel (from either a flipped mint year-round or an arcana at Halloween Link

Aqub: The first egg from any pairing with my CB F Bronze Shimmer.

BringsTheSnow: 2g offspring from my F Silver Tinsel, Silver Gargoyle Eterna or offspring from any 2 other dragons on my scroll. Link

Miraku: 2g offspring from my M Silver Tinsel,  https://dragcave.net/lineage/FqySM  Link

Chaosdawn: I can offer an egg from my CB female silver tinsel or I have a 2G Dorkface and 2G Thuweds. Or anything else on my scroll.

Rinoa: 2g offspring of (Rinoa) with a mate of your choice Link

Missy_: A 2G Prize from Swale x your choice of any holiday dragon.  CB Holiday Group or * Link

digitalthunder: An egg from any of my 2g thuweds

azurewingsofwind: 3rd Gen Gold Link

Edited by purplehaze

Yay! I've been floundering around for something to do since I'm pretty much finished with my sprite collection and my PB brute project. Perfect timing. ^.^

A New Challenger Enters!

Scroll Link (optional): https://dragcave.net/user/Chaosdawn
Forum Name: Chaosdawn
Today's Date: 4/24/21

Starter Dragon (link and name if named) : Vaeqa

Challenge Group Link (required): Group

Goal (Plan for your lineage): Spiral of Water dragons around Cloudplumes

Edited by Chaosdawn

To Join:

~~~~~~~~

A New Challenger Enters!

Scroll Link (optional):
Forum Name: Ruby Eyes
Today's Date:
2021-04-24

Starter Dragon (link and name if named) : NX5DF

Challenge Group Link (required): https://dragcave.net/group/159642

Goal (Plan for your lineage): spiral with Labradorite (probably. May change my mind and buy a Xeno from the Market on start day) and my CB Halloweens

edit: I'll go with an Aquilo. With 13 possible breeds to choose from, maybe that will save me from the dreaded "no egg" results :lol:

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I had asked purple and she said to, so I did.

43 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Are we allowed to post now?

OOPS! Meant to remove that. Yep! It's all good -- I hope!

Edit: fixed!

Edited by purplehaze

A New Challenger Enters!

Scroll Link (optional):
Forum Name: rinoa26
Today's Date: 4/27/2021

Starter Dragon (link and name if named) : Zahok y Tuman and Kwen y Caliza

Challenge Group Link (required): https://dragcave.net/group/159831

Goal (Plan for your lineage): spiral stair with Magnesium Amphipteres (alternating colours of the CB males/females)

Edited by rinoa26

I put my existing CB as my starter - when I get the mate, should that be up there instead ? Harry IS one of the two base dragons....

A New Challenger Enters!

Scroll Link (optional): https://dragcave.net/user/Exzessiva
Forum Name: Mirajane
Today's Date: 01/05/2021

Starter Dragon (link and name if named) :  Mira's Runway Model Z

Challenge Group Link (required): https://dragcave.net/group/160132

Goal (Plan for your lineage): Stairstep/Spiral with Sunsong and other pink/purple colour breeds. Or stick to PB Sunsong only. Let's see ...... 

Just a few more days to the start! Don't miss out!

Of course you can join any time, but you don't want to be behind!

I want to join, but am stuck on what sort of lineage to do. I’m thinking spiral, with at least the CB dragons being codes, but that sounds like it would look messy with so many different breeds.

I could choose a few codes and keep using those (inbreed) but if I can only use each code to breed once a week ... it could still look like a breed mishmash.

Some tentative CB code ideas for my lineage:

Magi f QWerK

Purple M OShoo

Storm f Kar6n XD

Striped White m cALuB

Sunsong Amphiptere f HOtBb (In my mind, her name is Bob, i.e., “Hot Bob” :lol:) But I am not certain her name is obvious enough. 
Water Walker m GZrrZ

Black Zyu m WEwoo

Fever Wyvern m bR4Dj (name Brad; not sure if that is clear)

For this lineage, I am most attracted to CB codes that are either names or exclamatory expressions. I don’t seem to have enough codes to do one or the other.

I wonder if I could create a story using expressive dragons QWerk, OShoo, GZrrZ, maybe even WEwoo (I am not a big Zyu fan), with “Karen” periodically stepping in to police and micromanage. XD 

Maybe I use cALuB to try to calm down Kar6n. :lol:

Input needed/requested:

Does anyone see a way to do this spiral in such a way that it doesn’t end up in a breed mishmash? I’d like it to have a clear pattern. 

Edited by missy_

To be honest, I think you would have a very tough time even attempting that. (Must go check what breed I need to catch, now that I think about it !)

35 minutes ago, missy_ said:

Input needed/requested:

Does anyone see a way to do this spiral in such a way that it doesn’t end up in a breed mishmash? I’d like it to have a clear pattern. 

Maybe if you use a very, very common breed as starter so that the bred outcome is only one breed?

@Ruby Eyes did something similar last year: https://dragcave.net/lineage/r6KXB

What if I use OShoo, Kar6n and GZrrZ? (But i LOVE Magis.)

Example:

OShoo in base (my starting CB.)

Breed him to a f Magi. (my newly caught egg for this lineage).

2nd gen: Male Magi x Kar6n.

3rd gen: Male Water Walker GZrrZ (who is grrring at K6ren) x Female Magi

4th gen: Male Magi x Kar6n (I’d have to wait almost a week for this one)

5th gen: Female Magi x oShoo (shoo, Karen!)

6th gen: Now lineage progress starts to get slow, because I am relying on Kar6n. 
But at least I have figured out a way to keep Magis in the center of the spiral ...

Hmmm. I need another female dragon. I have QWerK (“Quirk”) Love her! If I can fit her in ... but her being a Magi could mess things up as. In spots of the lineage, it seems like I would have two magi‘s bread to each other. Which could look odd.

ETA: Just saw your post, @rinoa26. That lineage Ruby Eyes did looks great!

I was thinking my named dragons would be something along the lines of “shut up Karen” XD or versions thereof.

ETA: I have this female Lihnshere: 2LOLo who could be LOLing at Kar6n :lol:

New Example:

OShoo in base (my starting CB.)

Breed him to a f Magi. (my newly caught egg for this lineage).

2nd gen: Male Magi x Kar6n.

3rd gen: Male Water Walker GZrrZ (who is grrring at K6ren) x Female Magi

4th gen: Male Magi x 2LOLo

5th gen: Female Magi x oShoo

6th gen: Male Magi x Kar6n
It could work, but it depends on how frequently Magis are bred. I don’t know how difficult they are in a pairing and whether it’s more likely for those other breeds to be bred.

Maybe I do need a super common dragon in my center, so that it is almost certain to be bred every time.

Edited by missy_

16 minutes ago, missy_ said:

Maybe I do need a super common dragon in my center, so that it is almost certain to be bred every time.

You should also take into account that Storms are more common than Magis and Kar6n could take over your lineage XD

Maybe check out these threads for people complaining about not getting certain eggs from breeding one pair for weeks:

Something new maybe. Hydrophidius, Blazeback or some non-dimorphic breed from last year (breeds with a single adult sprite are the least collected because you don't need multiples to get all the sprites, I think).

1 hour ago, rinoa26 said:

Maybe if you use a very, very common breed as starter so that the bred outcome is only one breed?

@Ruby Eyes did something similar last year: https://dragcave.net/lineage/r6KXB

Yes! I am wondering if a Labradorite would work ...

@rinoa26 said: You should also take into account that Storms are more common than Magis and Kar6n could take over your lineage

XD

Maybe check out these threads for people complaining about not getting certain eggs from breeding one pair for weeks...

Yes! Wouldn’t want Kar6n to take over XD

58 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Something new maybe. Hydrophidius, Blazeback or some non-dimorphic breed from last year (breeds with a single adult sprite are the least collected because you don't need multiples to get all the sprites, I think).

Thanks, Ruby Eyes. Well, it’s dimorphic but I wonder if I could get away with Labradorite? They look so playful, and having them dance back and forth in a lineage would be uplifting (assuming they aren’t too hard to breed ... )

I have thought of a couple of non-dimorphic breeds, but none as fun as the dimorphic Labradorite. :wub: :iraptor:

Edited by missy_

A New Challenger Enters!

Scroll Link: https://dragcave.net/user/tarotlover
Forum Name: missy_ (Feel free to “ping” me using @missy_ ) (If you think of it, please call me missy; I hate the underscore but it was forced on me. Otherwise, no worries.)
Today's Date: May 7, 2021

Starter Dragon: https://dragcave.net/lineage/OShoo unnamed code OShoo

Challenge Group Link: https://dragcave.net/group/160607

Goal: Code based Spiral using Labradorites, mixed breeds and codes.

When do we add our Prize offerings?

Edited by missy_

1 hour ago, missy_ said:

When do we add our Prize offerings?

You can do it any time, but it doesn't have to be posted until near the end. :)

Anyone on discord want to let people there know about this? The original challenge in 2018 was started by members of the unofficial DC discord.

Edited by purplehaze

This seems like fun. Why not?

A New Challenger Enters!

Scroll Link (optional): https://dragcave.net/user/AwkwardAvian
Forum Name: AwkwardAvian
Today's Date: 8 May 2021

Starter Dragon (link and name if named) : TBA

Challenge Group Link (required): Group - Breeding challenge May 2021 - Dragon Cave (dragcave.net)

Goal (Plan for your lineage): Umm, I think I'm going to try for a spiral of pinks and reds?

Quick question. I know inbreeding is allowed but are you allowed to bring in dragons you already own into later breedings (e.g. could I breed a CB dragon I already own with my second generation (which will have at least one new parent) or do I have to collect a new CB dragon for each generation?)

Edited by AwkwardAvian

47 minutes ago, AwkwardAvian said:

Quick question. I know inbreeding is allowed but are you allowed to bring in dragons you already own into later breedings (e.g. could I breed a CB dragon I already own with my second generation (which will have at least one new parent) or do I have to collect a new CB dragon for each generation?)

The only dragon that must be a fresh CB is one dragon in your initial CB pair. After that you can use dragons you already own. :)