Tini

Rounding off shard totals

At some point in time I either had two low weeks, or one week one shard short, and I'm forever stuck at a xx99 total. It drives me absolutely bonkers. I would love for any way to round that off to 100. If that's that I can lock my ability to gain shards after gaining a single shard one week, or if TJ sees fit to grant a few shards to people within, say, 10 shards of the even 100, or any other sort of way, I'd appreciate it. 

I know there are other people like me, within a few shards of a nice round number. I know its highly unlikely to have a way to round it off, but I figured, why not at least try?

The only other way to fix this would be to not play the game for a couple weeks, the first to clear of growing things, the second to gain one shard and then do nothing. I'd rather not avoid the site for two weeks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Technically you wouldn't actually have to not play, just maybe not play *as much*. Example, if you have 1999 after maxing out a week, the next week you can still play and get, say, 60 shards. If you then get 41 shards the next week, that will leave you with a nice even 2100. 

I'm not against the suggestion, exactly, I just don't think it's a big enough deal to add something new when there are already work-arounds. Not sure how exactly it would work, either; simply 'locking' a specific shard count until the next week could work, as that would be a manual user-done thing, but I wouldn't want anything to be automatically rounded or added. (I personally rather enjoy my off-count shards...)

I doubt TJ would bother but I wouldn't mind an option to just discard shards. I'd gladly trash 11 shards for an even 900

5 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Technically you wouldn't actually have to not play, just maybe not play *as much*. Example, if you have 1999 after maxing out a week, the next week you can still play and get, say, 60 shards. If you then get 41 shards the next week, that will leave you with a nice even 2100. 

I'm not against the suggestion, exactly, I just don't think it's a big enough deal to add something new when there are already work-arounds.

My thoughts exactly. If you don't mind sacrificing a little play time - it's easy enough to get the limited amount of shards you need to "round off" your total.

4 hours ago, Arcy said:

I doubt TJ would bother but I wouldn't mind an option to just discard shards. I'd gladly trash 11 shards for an even 900

I just woke up but I'd do this and it made me think what if there were a way to 'donate' random shards into a pool of some type? Like a lottery?

11 hours ago, Arcy said:

I like this idea!

I actually have some extra shards from a lag glitch that happened once; I managed to get it down from __24 or something like that to __18 by being really busy one week, but I shouldn't even have those shards in the first place, so I'd love to be able to toss 'em.

@Nine No grand reason on my end, but for what it's worth, I constantly check if I'm at my weekly limit, because my brain just can't seem to commit that 18 to memory as the rollover point. 00 is just much more intuitive.

I'm with @Nine and @HeatherMarie here. I don't see it as a huge enough issue to see it as necessary. I wouldn't mind it, but I don't see how it could work.

ETA: No shard lotteries please.  Maybe just a "spare shards" option in the market if you don't want to buy a dragon. Nothing would happen. You just give your shards to the merchant. 

Edited by Jazeki

I have my odd 61 from when I first returned.

Not sure what the best option is, maybe a common drops to a penny for one week, next week a different breed. We have more than enough very  common breeds to last all year, and it would make the odd cents useful.

I have 2 extra shards and it bugs the crap out of me. I fill up my weekly shard quota in half a day so there's no way I could go a whole week without getting 100. I'd love to just discard the two.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, HeatherMarie said:

I'm not against the suggestion, exactly, I just don't think it's a big enough deal to add something new when there are already work-arounds. Not sure how exactly it would work, either; simply 'locking' a specific shard count until the next week could work, as that would be a manual user-done thing, but I wouldn't want anything to be automatically rounded or added. (I personally rather enjoy my off-count shards...)

2 hours ago, yellow_gellow said:

I have 2 extra shards and it bugs the crap out of me. I fill up my weekly shard quota in half a day so there's no way I could go a whole week without getting 100. I'd love to just discard the two.

Same, I'm already at 39 of our hundred and its only been 4 hours, and some of that is from eggs hatching and hatchies growing. Any strategy that requires me to somehow only get so many in a week, fails within the first two days, unless I take a two week break. Which I really don't want to do, I have ratios I'm fighting on half a dozen lineages. I cannot only get 40 and 61 shards across two weeks, it's just not a way my playstyle works. Even when my scroll is near barren I've hit the cap earlier in the week. I always have things growing and hatching.

I would, genuinely, take a week where I lose out on 99 shards, just to fix it. I suppose if we could, instead, toss shards to a void, that would accomplish the same thing, just with many more clicks lol.

Make something common available in the market for 101 Shards? 

Then you could just buy your way down to the right number...

I'd like this as well- I think a simple "discard shards" option would be good.

Just yeet shards to the void. It is a good idea

5 hours ago, sorenna said:

Make something common available in the market for 101 Shards? 

Then you could just buy your way down to the right number...

But then people who have an even number of shards will end up with an uneven number if they want to buy that dragon, so I don't really see that as a solution. Just shifts the problem to someone else.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

But then people who have an even number of shards will end up with an uneven number if they want to buy that dragon, so I don't really see that as a solution. Just shifts the problem to someone else.

Yeah. I never look at how many I have, but  I see it is an uneven number. As a rule such things would worry me - but for some reason it doesn't.

Have a wastebin available to buy for 1 shard ?

Possessing uneven amount of shards would bug me a bit too. Resorting to not play or to carefully plan how little to play to even it out doesn't seems like fun either. But it's not such a big deal to need a fix, for me I mean.

But I actually have a little idea how discarding some shards could work. Because just having a button to discard shards seems meh and kind of unlikely to be implemented (I think).

Maybe put joke eggs (like XD / <3) in the market for some very small amount of shards (like uneven number less than 10 or something). After purchase attempt there would be intermediate site stating: "This egg doesn't really exist. Do you still want to buy it?" and button "YES! Pay X shards".

Or, instead of sitting there all the time, there could be some chance for those egg to spawn in the market. I mean if someone wanted to find them, they would need to refresh the market site a bit. Not for too long though, to not make the process of finding the eggs infuriating.

Funny little easter egg with some actual utility :P

Edited by Lyncerta

If you see an uneven amount of shards, you can simply try to collect as many as needed to make it a round number during the week and then stop.

In the next week you can start collecting the lot of 100 again.

I really can't see the problem here?

Sorry...

I have 28 extra shards that I somehow collected through a glitch. They will never be of any use to me under the current system, but they don't bother me. I almost never look at my total shards anyway, unless I want to buy something. Right now I am saving up for another Stat and I know that is going to take forever, so I don't even look.

7 hours ago, Seriva Senkalora said:

If you see an uneven amount of shards, you can simply try to collect as many as needed to make it a round number during the week and then stop.

In the next week you can start collecting the lot of 100 again.

I really can't see the problem here?

Sorry...

For me, that would basically mean to stop playing for 6 days. And I'm sure I'm not the only player with a lot of tough lineages to work on.

I'm lucky enough to never have encountered a glitch like purplehaze, but your suggestion? Not really good for all playstyles.

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

For me, that would basically mean to stop playing for 6 days. And I'm sure I'm not the only player with a lot of tough lineages to work on.

I'm lucky enough to never have encountered a glitch like purplehaze, but your suggestion? Not really good for all playstyles.

Same here. Six and a half days without the Cave? It's not going to happen.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:04 PM, dragongrrl said:

Not sure what the best option is, maybe a common drops to a penny for one week, next week a different breed. We have more than enough very  common breeds to last all year, and it would make the odd cents useful.

I still think this is a good idea.

12 hours ago, Lyncerta said:

Maybe put joke eggs (like XD / <3) in the market for some very small amount of shards (like uneven number less than 10 or something). After purchase attempt there would be intermediate site stating: "This egg doesn't really exist. Do you still want to buy it?" and button "YES! Pay X shards".

Gosh, could you imagine buying the XD egg from the Market and then, whenever someone else buys it, even a second later, that exact egg gets transferred to their scroll and disappears from yours? That would be hilarious. Just make it 1 shard, have the warning message there when purchasing it, and let people war over an egg that'll never hatch.

lol, that actually sounds fun. New DC record: longest kept <3 egg.

While I still don't see a need for this...Personally - if we're looking for "useless" things for discarding Shards...I would much rather a badge be given.

Make it a basket/bucket that 'fills up' like the FoE/ToT badges based on how many shards you've discarded. That way, it's something to help people even out shard totals (as you would choose how many shards to discard) as well as something for people who don't use the market (or use it rarely) to spend their shards on.

Sure it might take awhile to achieve a full basket (depending on how many shards each 'level' would take) and some players might not be too keen on the idea...but at the end of the day, it's a badge and is utterly useless other than as a way to say "Hey, look at the thing I did"

Edited by ShorahNagi