tuxedocatatonic

Junji Ito fans?

I saw that exactly 6 threads mentioned Junji Ito, but there were none specifically for discussion on his manga. I only started reading like... a month ago, most of that was done within one or two nights. So far my favorites have to be Uzumaki and Mimi's Ghost Stories. I also read what I could find of most of his individual stories, and honestly I'm hooked, but I'm running out of stories on the one Tumblr list I found

Are there any specific ones you'd recommend? Other artists that're similar? Which ones are your favorites? Least favorites? Do you only like his horror manga, or do you like the funnier ones, too (ex. Cat Diary)? What're your favorite or least favorite aspects of his style? Any specific story that stuck with you long after reading? I mostly just want to foster conversation about his works cause I think they're really cool, and definitely give me a lot to think about while I'm going to sleep at night

I was really into Junji Ito when I was a teen (I was going through a horror phase and found Uzumaki by chance), and have been trying to get back into his work lately. Of his longer stories, I've read Uzumaki, Gyo, and Remina. I've also read a bit of Tomie, but have yet to finish. I've also been through the "Shiver" collection, as well as several oneshots I found online. I haven't read the Cat Diary one yet, but it's on my radar!

I've never found his stories to be particularly scary, but they're surreal and interesting. I love how he can take a concept like spirals or insects breathing through holes in their skin and turn it into a unique work of horror.

My personal favorites which have stuck with me include Gyo, Greased (more properly translated as "Glyceride" and while not scary, is viscerally unpleasant to me in a way no other manga has been), and The Long Dream. Layers of Fear and Army of One also stick out strongly in my mind.
Most recently I finally got around to reading Remina, which I finished in one sitting and would consider an instant favorite.

There are so many others it's hard to keep track, but those are the ones I can think of at the moment.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:31 AM, Banyanpan said:

I was really into Junji Ito when I was a teen (I was going through a horror phase and found Uzumaki by chance), and have been trying to get  Kodi nox back into his work lately. Of his longer stories, I've read Uzumaki, Gyo, and Remina. I've also read a bit of Tomie, but have yet to finish. I've also been through the "Shiver" collection, as well as several oneshots I found online. I haven't read the Cat Diary one yet, but it's on my radar!

I've never found his stories to be particularly scary, but they're surreal and interesting. I love how he can take a concept like spirals or insects breathing through holes in their skin and turn it into a unique work of horror.

My personal favorites which have stuck with me include Gyo, Greased (more properly translated as "Glyceride" and while not scary, is viscerally unpleasant to me in a way no other manga has been), and The Long Dream. Layers of Fear and Army of One also stick out strongly in my mind.
Most recently I finally got around to reading Remina, which I finished in one sitting and would consider an instant favorite.

There are so many others it's hard to keep track, but those are the ones I can think of at the moment.

you spoke what was in my mouth

Edited by harrycage