JapanRocks

Make Abandon Page Eggs Give More than One Shard

I've been wondering why I've not even been able to fill the bar half-way lately, then I noticed that you only get 1 shard for adopting an egg from the AP. I prefer the AP over the cave for many reasons, but I'm also saving up for a Staterae. I have to struggle to get more than 30 shards some weeks, and end up hatching eggs I have no intention to keep. 

Basically, stop 'punishing' us for adopting eggs. There's a 100 shard per week cap already, there's no way to abuse it. I want to play naturally, while also earning shards.

To be honest, I think one shard is enough for an action you can do (and immediately undo) several times per minute. You can't do that with eggs from the cave due to the 5 hours waiting period.

I like AP eggs, too, but I don't feel punished when such a non-committal action gives me fewer shards than getting an egg from the cave. I can re-abandon the egg immediately if I don't like it, and it will take less time to hatch. To me, the difference in shards feels like a fair "cost" in exchange for these advantages of AP eggs.

(That being said, I probably get most of my shards from breeding, which gives us 2 shards per egg and - for someone with literally hundreds of breeding pairs available each week - is very easy to do. So I'm not sure if my opinion on shard numbers per action should even matter.)

Agree with Confused Cat. I hunt the AP most of the time and it only giving 1 shard seems logical since it's an action that takes such little effort/time. If you are struggling to hit the max shards each week, try a small breeding spree, that gives more shards. Or add some random AP eggs to your collecting, hatch them and abandon them, the act of hatching gives shards too. While I don't want to downplay the struggle some may have, it really doesn't take much time to get max shards if you utilize all the different options.

(I can completely see the hypothetical situation of someone *only* wanting to do very specific things, like only grabbing eggs they will raise/keep or only grabbing 2 of each breed ever or whatever, and that could of course limit shard collection, but it becomes a question of whether you want to stick to that narrow play and sacrifice those possible shards or maybe do a few extra things to get those shards.)

My hunting is mostly from the AP, and I almost always have my hundred shards on the first day of the week.

I am selective and do abandon eggs until I find the ones I want to keep, sometimes going through a dozen eggs to keep one, and incuhatch the keepers so the shards add up pretty fast. I tend to stay scroll-locked, and we don't lose shards when we abandon eggs.

The AP eggs take far less time to raise, 3 days versus 5 for bred or biome eggs, so one shard per is not an issue for me.

6 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

To be honest, I think one shard is enough for an action you can do (and immediately undo) several times per minute. You can't do that with eggs from the cave due to the 5 hours waiting period.

I like AP eggs, too, but I don't feel punished when such a non-committal action gives me fewer shards than getting an egg from the cave. I can re-abandon the egg immediately if I don't like it, and it will take less time to hatch. To me, the difference in shards feels like a fair "cost" in exchange for these advantages of AP eggs.

(That being said, I probably get most of my shards from breeding, which gives us 2 shards per egg and - for someone with literally hundreds of breeding pairs available each week - is very easy to do. So I'm not sure if my opinion on shard numbers per action should even matter.)

This, very much. You can breed and abandon every dragon on your scroll and fill your shards that way... As you can only get 100 per week, I can't see this as a huge issue.

I mostly hunt just from the AP and I usually hit 100 shards every week (unless I forget). I'm not sure how much this will help with the cap already in place.

Are there other activities you can do regularly aside from AP hunting? Perhaps put aside time to breed or trade for hatchlings that will grow or something?

7 hours ago, Jazeki said:

I mostly hunt just from the AP and I usually hit 100 shards every week (unless I forget). I'm not sure how much this will help with the cap already in place.

Are there other activities you can do regularly aside from AP hunting? Perhaps put aside time to breed or trade for hatchlings that will grow or something?

I'm not an aggressive player. I've been here for 8 years and have less than 2000 eggs. I prefer CB eggs and AP eggs, since I find breeding tedious. I usually don't catch an egg if I have no plans to keep it, so getting 100 shards just from the few eggs I find worthy on the AP is quite hard.

But my main point is that I don't see the need for there to be a 'Trade off'. Everyone, regardless of their activities, can only earn 100shards a week, so is there really a need to make catching an egg from the cave and AP worth different points? Does it matter if someone earns the 100shards in 1 day or 7?

Edited by JapanRocks

12 minutes ago, JapanRocks said:

But my main point is that I don't see the need for there to be a 'Trade off'. Everyone, regardless of their activities, can only earn 100shards a week, so is there really a need to make catching an egg from the cave and AP worth different points? Does it matter if someone earns the 100shards in 1 day or 7?

And equally is there any need to get more than 1 shard for an AP egg that you can dump and replace in seconds ? I usually earn 100 shards in a couple of days and I'm not even trying. If you are in a harry - fill your slots and then just run with https://dragcave.net/random/pair - breeding is no effort at all, and they will all auto.

Sorry - still no support on this one.

TJ is the one who decides the shard amount here and I'm with Fuzz on this one. I don't see the amount as a huge deal or a punishment even. I didn't even know AP hunting was one shard before this thread. 

Is there an amount that you would rather the shard amount be instead? 

Based on your play style, it seems like you'll have a hard time hitting 100 no matter what the amount is. I don't mean to be hurtful with this observation, btw.

Agree with Fuzz and Jazeki.  I don't see 1 shard per AP egg as a 'punishment' or trade-off at all, really. Yes it's less than picking from the cave, but it's also more than you get for many actions (many actions don't give shards at all!). 

I also agree with Jazeki that is sounds like this won't necessarily help your situation, based on what you've said. If you struggle to get just 30 shards (as said in the OP), bumping up the shard amount that tiny bit still isn't going to get you to the max every week.  It's honestly, seriously not that hard to reach that cap, I've literally reached it in an hour just by grabbing and re-abandoning AP eggs. If you refuse to pick up eggs you might not want (that you can immediately abandon), or breed, or do anything 'extra' to hit that very-low 100 shard cap, that's your decision. 

Edited by HeatherMarie

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

If you refuse to pick up eggs you might not want (that you can immediately abandon), or breed, or do anything 'extra' to hit that very-low 100 shard cap, that's your decision. 

This is at the heart of it. It's only your chosen play style that is holding you up.

Using  https://dragcave.net/random/pair when locked will do it for you. You could choose that - but you don't actually want shards enough to go that route. If you did - you would.

It's like the raffle - there have been times I have raised dragons I don't want - just to be able to enter. The chance of winning is more important to me than not raising something I don't want (though there is one breed that might give me an issue if it ever came up... :lol: )

Edited by Fuzzbucket
typo

I never considered myself an agressive player. :blink:

So. Eggs from the AP are, on my perceived average, at 5 days. That means they are already 2 days old which they did not spend on your scroll.

Hatching an egg yields 3 shards.

Without incubate, you can hatch ~2.3 cave eggs per slot in a given week, or ~7 AP eggs. Maybe 6 if you don't do it "agressively" (seriously ...) aka catch a new one immediately after hatching.

That's 2.3 times (5 shards for catching and 3 for hatching) = 18.4 shards for cave-picked eggs, per egg slot.

Or 6 times (1 shard for adopting and 3 for hatching) = 24 shards for AP eggs, per egg slot, when AP times creep up.

Or 7 times (1 shard for adopting and 3 for hatching) = 28 shards for AP eggs, per egg slot, in low-time AP weeks.

With incubate, cave-picked eggs still need to spend a minimum of 2 days on your scroll, which makes ~3.3 to hatch per week. For AP-adopted eggs, it's only a few hours, but let's go with a once-a-day logon, aka the 7 eggs calculated above.

That's 3.3 times (5 shards for catching and 3 for hatching) = 26.4 shards for cave-picked eggs, per egg slot.

That's not even counting some of them growing up on your scroll, which is another 3 shards each time. Either way, it should be no problem for an active player, even without any trophy, to reach 100 in a given week, even without any additional AP-catch-and-drops or AP-breedings. You have a platinum trophy. You wouldn't even need to log on every day to refill your slots.

Whatever disadvantage you see for you, it is not due to the shard gain difference itself.

I was earning the 100shards when stalking the cave with this same playstyle, that's why I still have over 2000shards despite buying several Blusangs and a Staterae. So I agree that it's not that hard to earn the 100shards. The 30shards I mentioned in the OP was for a bad week, most weeks I fall in the 70's.

But I've read every reply and no one has convinced me why there needs to be a trade off at all. I believe that catching from the cave or the AP is just personal taste. It's not like everyone will suddenly start spending all their time in the AP if they're worth the same or similar, cause there's literally no advantage or disadvantage to earning 100shards by day 1 or 7. I honestly think the 'Trade Off' is arbitrary and annoying, and I'm sure lots of other people agree. 

IS it a trade-off, though? We don't actually know that the lower shard amount for catching AP eggs is actually because of a 'trade-off' for the convenience AP eggs give. We don't actually know why any shard amounts are set the way they are. Getting an egg from the cave gives the most shards out of anything else, breeding an egg gives less than that but more than AP, hatching/growing gives the second-highest amounts... Honestly I would agree that maybe there doesn't need to be a 'trade-off' here, but we don't *know* that's why AP gives less. Unless that's confirmed, it's just speculation.

There isn't a trade-off. I think it's only one shard because part of the work has been done for you already. You can catch an egg with no cooldown for dropping it and less time needed to hatch it. You have to suffer a bit picking up in cave - 5 hour wait to drop if you misclicked, and the full 7 days (or 6 if you have plenty of reds) on the clock. You also free off a CB slot for some other hunter. So you get more credit on your account.

And as has been said - it would be easy for you to collect shards faster if you choose to do so.

The difference between cave and ap is the cave takes your slots for 5 hours per grab, limiting you to a max of 40 shards per 5 hours if you have 8 slots available. Hatching and growing eggs are similarly time-limited, and give 2 or 3 shards. The ap you can pick up and toss back at any time, with no repercussions. I think it makes perfect sense that "farmable" instant shards like grabbing ap eggs and breeding only give 1 shard each, as opposed to the 2-5 of the time-limited actions.

Sure, you could only need 1 try per ap egg to be satisfied with your grabs, or you could reabandon 9 eggs for each slot you fill, totaling up to 80 shards just to fill up your scroll for a day. It's not really that much of a drawback if you spend time hunting for specific things or lines.

Edited by Shadowdrake

46 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Sure, you could only need 1 try per ap egg to be satisfied with your grabs, or you could reabandon 9 eggs for each slot you fill, totaling up to 80 shards just to fill up your scroll for a day. It's not really that much of a drawback if you spend time hunting for specific things or lines.

Sometimes when I'm sitting there refreshing and the AP isn't 'moving' I'll pick up an egg or two just to 'move it along', and I don't think twice about doing so because I can immediately abandon them. While I don't necessarily agree that the AP shard amount is intended as a 'trade-off' at all, the fact remains that you can very easily and quickly hit max shards just by grabbing/re-abandoning AP eggs, and that's the only shard-giving action to behave that way, so yeah I see nothing wrong with it 'only' giving 1 shard.

Personally, I feel 1 shard is fine for AP eggs (as others said, you can catch them and toss them right back). I easily hit my 100 shards every week with the same strategy:

Pick up 8 AP eggs (preferably ones I can hatch same day)

Hatch them

Keep the one(s) I like

Trade the rest away for any one egg [so 4 hatchlings for 1 egg, for example]

Repeat with open egg slots

Sorry, but other than a way to hit the limit faster if you don't have a lot of time to play, I don't see a reason to change the shard amount.