TheatreChic

Duplicate Egg Descriptions

Okay, I'm pretty new here, and idk if this has already been said, but I would rather there not be duplicate egg descriptions in the cave. For example, I was looking around in the cave today and saw an egg that said "It's bright. And pink." And since I've been looking for another pink dragon, I thought, "Score!" and I took it without really looking at the other two descriptions. Then when I saw that it was the flamingo wyvern, I felt cheated lol. Does anyone else thing all egg descriptions in the cave should be unique? Or do you think confusing one egg for another is a necessary aspect of the game?

Edited by Infinis
removed slur

Summary: Basically Pink and Flamingo Egg was sort of a joke suggested by the artist in jest when submitted to TJ and TJ decided to put it in (if the story is slightly different, that is fine, but that is a simple close enough summary).

For that reason alone, those two are unlikely to ever change unless one of the former artists demands it be done or something. There are some things that are just "tradition" and part of the game lore and just become their own standing thing. I know that some of the people don't like that even older sprites get updated sometimes. So you have a careful balance of game lore/tradition vs. bringing something up to modern/better standards (such as pixel art and artistic improvements over time). And things that just make sense to change over time because it makes the game a bit better, or doesn't hurt anything, or more people want it, etc.

If you have noticed, almost any dragon created in the past 5 years or longer - they all have very distinct descriptions. In fact, I'd say artists and creators go out of their way to have some super really creative, even descriptions with longer wording to be more "descriptive and distinct" than we used to have. I don't think that trend is going to stop. I would say having a very distinct egg description is what everyone does these days to add just a bit more flare to their creative works. No one is actively trying to "trick" or "upset and confuse" players by "using an old outdated description from another dragon" to upset players or do it for the trolling and lulz.

Since you are newer, I wanted to give you the background and development over time so that anyone's answer may make more sense. 

I don't think you are going to get the old stuff changed, but I don't think you will ever likely see it happen again unless there is some really good reason and they are from the same artist (Like with the Xeno Wyrms all in different habitats and different Mana Types - which was done as something very special and if you catch it from a biome, you are going to know what you get, or you will get one of two versions because there was SO MUCH demand and love for this dragon they did a round two as a treat for us) - so again, unlikely to ever see that again unless its for an really awesome beneficial reason.

Your suggestion isn't a bad one, and certainly has merit and  it has been raised before, but I just wanted to provide a little background because without it, it does seem like a pretty .... if not mean thing, tricky to unfair thing to the players. Especially since one type of breed is more sought out due to its BSA than the other which has no BSA but is just as lovely. So I just didn't want anyone to think that Admins, Artists, Staff, etc. like to play with their players like that. The worst "trick" we get is with Mints on April Fools day, and we'll just say, that is probably just as highly and hotly anticipated as the Holiday Releases. I mean... it isn't as awesome as the very rare inbred mint which is like pots of gold in value, but they have their own very special value.

Again, some things just have history.

Natayah covered some good points!

One thing that has changed is that, when the biomes were introduced, the four eggs with the "This egg has strange markings on it" description got split up into different biomes: Frills & Horse Dragons in the Jungle, Skywings in the Coast, Ochredrakes in the Forest.  Previously, they all fell in the single "Cave" page, so it was a slim chance to get what you wanted if you were only searching for one breed out of the four!  The biomes improved on that, so now the worst you'll face is 50:50 odds.

Biome can be a big hint or help as you're searching, so always take note of where you caught something if you're looking for something specific!  For example, BSA Pink dragons fall in all biomes, but Flamingo Wyverns only fall in the Coast and Jungle, so those are the only two places you will have a chance of getting the wrong egg. 

Editing to add: I wouldn't mind changed descriptions, but I think it's unlikely, since most of the eggs with shared descriptions have been around a long time.  I don't know if all their creators are still around to OK a change.  I would definitely support moving either Frills or Horse Dragons to a different biome, though, as a workaround for their description since it has the largest number of eggs that share it. 

Edited by Aventurine

Most of the duplicate descriptions are on hybrids as well. Hybrids and super early breeds and sun/moonstone which I kinda consider alts of each other lol.

I recently was getting 64cb pink, i just avoided the two biomes flamingo spawn in unless i was desperate. I always assume eggs in coast and jungle? i think it is, are flamingo. 

It's a little unfortunate, but I don't see any egg descriptions changing. They're all pretty common.

Wow, thank you all for your insights! I didn't realize that the original creators of the dragons had to approve any changes made to descriptions, etc. Makes a lot more sense now! And I think I was in the coast when I found that flamingo egg, so that makes sense too.

In recent years, I feel the biomes have made it easier to get the breed you want with a shared description.

For example - Pinks and Flamingos share the same description but Pinks spawn in all Biomes while Flamingos are only Coast/Jungle spawns. So only in the Coast/Jungle is it a 50/50 when an egg shows up.

But as a new player, I can understand the frustration of getting the wrong egg. While I don't support fully changing the shared descriptions - I wouldn't mind if an extra word or two were added to make those that share biomes a little more unique (least as a QoL for newer/returning players who weren't around when biomes were added).

Using pinks/flamingos again as an example

Pink egg: It's bright. And pink.

Flamingo egg: It's bright. And pink. And wet.

If you count breeds with multiple variations and ones that don't appear in the cave, there are actually quite a few duplicates. Fortunately, Breed-only breeds don't effect cave hunting. And nearly everything else can be mostly managed by paying attention to biome: Flamingos are in coast/jungle; Spitfires and Stripes dont share, so its its mostly the two cb alt breeds: Dorsal, and Ridgewing, plus Horse/Frill

To Be Honest, sometimes certain dragons that are less likely to appear in a particular biome are worth a bit more or are more special because they are not the "most common" variation in that Biome (for the few ones that share descriptions), or things like Silver Eggs that are *more likely* to appear in certain biomes, and if you snatch one from the less likely biomes, some people really want specific eggs from specific Biomes. Either to complete a collection, or when it matters for breeding (such as with Xenowyrms, Coppers, etc.) 

I actually love grabbing those "Pink or Flamingo" eggs from the Coast or Jungle when I have a slot to burn for 24 hours just to "see" if I get a Pink vs a Flamingo (mind you I love them both, and especially if it has a nice CODE I am keeping it forever!!), and I have a good numbers of Pinks from the Coast on my scroll. Additionally, special eggs like that can be fun to give away to others because they are like a bonus gift of a BSA from a Biome people aren't always willing to chance. So while building your army of CB Pinks, you might avoid those biomes, as your scroll builds and you have been around longer, those are fun things to snatch when you have time just to see. And for people who really like regifting (there are a TON of people who play this game SOLELY or mostly because they want to regift so much and enjoy it so much - seriously!!! What else you going to do when you get bunches of dragons and get more years on you and/or want to share the help and appreciation that was given to you by others when you were newer), these things are a TON of fun.

And I always thought it was super funny when, for Hybrids, they reuse descriptions. Because you will NEVER get that egg from a Biome. Or let say it is not likely. TJ is very Anti-This, and if it ever changed, it would likely be that you would be able to purchase them from market only or super special raffles. But again, he is strongly Anti-This Idea not only now, but has been for a good number of years and has stated he ain't going to change his mind on it. But he sometimes does change his mind on things he will "never" do, but it generally takes a good while and/or has to have a really good merit. Dragons created as Hybrids aren't meant to be CB options. If anything, there are many artists who create Hybrids who are very specific they NEVER want their Hybrids to have a CB version. So while the "egg description" might be the same (like the Soulpeace has the SAME Description as the Silver, a rather rare egg), you don't see people up in arms and wings and claws and protesting loudly echoing through the caves because its almost like a fun poke at the same joke because it is not going to be IN a biome where a silver egg would be ever!! So that is actually kind of fun I think. That I appreciate. I think it is classy!

Also, Fun Fact About Flamingos: Did you know they can be Albino? If they "grow up" in a place without the correct food sources, they won't get the pink color from the seafood they eat. So they are albino. Unfortunately, there are a few fans out there who really would love an Albino Sprite Flamingo possibility of some type, but I am not sure that is going to happen. I would LOVE that to be a cool bred only alt version, but again, not sure that is going to happen. So you never know, maybe ONE DAY those Flamingoes you thought "Oh Drats, that isn't the egg I wanted" might just become the future of a hot alt bred variation commodity. Keep your eyes on the Flamingoes! You never know what may pop up one day. Or what BSA they might get one day. And some people just LOVE to collect them (so will trade with you for CB hatchlings batches - this is the case for lots of Collectors of many common dragon types they LOVE) or you can enter special player run games, raffles, giveaways, etc. that are about collecting certain types of dragons, and Flamingoes are not uncommon as breeds to collect for these reasons, along with their fun positions for lineage building.

So never discount the Flamingo. There is a group of ardent Flamingo Supporters who constantly rally around the rise of the Flamingo to greater heights. You just might one day see the Flamingo become as hot as the Flamenco. Or something.