TJ09

2021-03-14 - Festival of Eggs Submissions

We've been opening up submissions for the annual Festival of Eggs and the Halloween Trick-or-Treat events to community submissions for some time now. Both events have been receiving a lot interest, so we're continuing the process this year.

All submissions must be sent via PM to @Event Art Submissions. The deadline for submissions is March 31.

Here's some base guidelines:

• The egg is the main theme, so you must be able to see the egg in the sprite.
  • Size limit of 50x50px.
  • Images must be submitted in PNG or GIF form.
  • Eggs must be pixel art, which generally means that overall color count is limited and pixels are intentionally placed. Do not use filters or anti-aliased tools such as Photoshop's paint brush.
  • Eggs may be animated, but should not use rapid or flashing effects. Animated PNGs are allowed, but your mileage may vary. The first frame of animation should be identifiable, to accommodate situations where animations are disabled.
  • Semi-transparency is allowed.
  • Images must not be shared publicly before the event begins.
  • Eggs may be rejected for reasons other than those in this post—namely, there will be a general quality bar. We'll try to provide useful feedback around rejections.
  • Only one submission will be accepted per-person.

There are a limited number of spots available. Art will be accepted on a first come, first served basis which only applies when the art is deemed to meet all of the above guidelines (that is, if you need to make changes and resubmit, that bumps you to the back of the line).

I look forward to this every year. Some of the eggs are so imaginative.

Good luck and have fun! It’s always a joy to see what people come up with.

Done and done. I feel a little rusty at spriting, it's been a while since I touched pixel art. Good luck.

I have been telling myself for years that I ought to learn how to do spriting for Dragon Cave -- normally, I'm a pen and paper artist.  This may be the year!

I doubt I'll ever be confident enough in my abilities to actually submit anything, but I *love* that we get more varieties and styles now with user submissions. Excited to see what everyone comes up with this year!

Oh yay, nearly forgot it's bout that time of year again! Can finally create a lil idea i've had knocking about.
Excited to see what alls everyone comes up with. Going to be hard to pick favorites again i'm sure, lol.

HYPE! This is gonna be my first year participating in the Festival, and I can't wait to see what the DC community comes up with. Good luck everyone!

I got an FoE idea last halloween while collecting treats and got halfway through making it before getting side-tracked, so I just completed the second half and sent it off. Making eggs is a whole lot easier than trying to make dragons, I gotta say.

23 hours ago, TJ09 said:

• Eggs must be pixel art, which generally means that overall color count is limited and pixels are intentionally placed. Do not use filters or anti-aliased tools such as Photoshop's paint brush.

I would love to participate but I have zero practice with pixel art. Though I'd still like to ask what's an anti-aliased tool? I'm familiar with Photoshop but if I wanted to participate I should not use Photoshop?

9 minutes ago, Kegluneq said:

I would love to participate but I have zero practice with pixel art. Though I'd still like to ask what's an anti-aliased tool? I'm familiar with Photoshop but if I wanted to participate I should not use Photoshop?

Anti-aliasing is a thing many art program brushes do to make the transition between colors softer. An anti-aliased brush will produce this

MotAsj0.png

while a brush that is not will produce this

NQ0DAOB.png

In photoshop, your best bet is the pencil tool.

51 minutes ago, Kegluneq said:

anti-aliasing adds mid-colors on the edges. Like, if you have a blue, other shades of blue get added to the outside of your brush strokes, while the blue you pick is only in the dead center.

12 hours ago, Keileon said:

Anti-aliasing is a thing many art program brushes do to make the transition between colors softer. An anti-aliased brush will produce this

MotAsj0.png

while a brush that is not will produce this

NQ0DAOB.png

In photoshop, your best bet is the pencil tool.

11 hours ago, Tinibree said:

anti-aliasing adds mid-colors on the edges. Like, if you have a blue, other shades of blue get added to the outside of your brush strokes, while the blue you pick is only in the dead center.

Thank you both of you, I get it now. 

I've noticed before that the brush tool leaves this kind of fading, but I didn't know that was anti-aliasing.

Good luck everyone!  I had done the 2019 cherry blossom egg but am sitting this year out.