CellyBean

Reduce Time to Abandon CB eggs v2

Yeah I'm gonna be bringing this back. 5 hours is a lot. 2-3 hours would be better imo.

As for points brought up in the old thread

What about scripters?

Scripters only pull in the rare eggs. They are not grabbing random eggs in order to unearth the rares behind them. Scripters get the rares as soon as the 5 minute and hourly shuffle show them. So frankly imo this does not impact scripters in the first place because they're not picking up eggs to abandon in the first place.

Plus there are egg/hatchie limits.

What about people just dumping cbs into the ap?

The ap is for users to dump whatever the hell they want in it. No one is entitled to cbs, 2nd gen spriters alts, nice checkers/stairtsteps, messies, inbred, etc in the ap. Plus with those new ap updates wouldn't the amount of eggs discarded by one user be limited in how many people see it? Idk but that's my understanding of the new ap updates. 

Now why do I think this would be a good idea for the game? It would help the ratios. Less punishment time for picking up an egg you don't want in order to move the cave would help out. People would be more inclined to pick up the eggs boosting the ratio numbers leading to more movement and variety in the cave. 

As it is now, the ratios are only being put under more strain the more new dragons are released.  

Are there better suggestions that would achieve the main goal imo of this suggestion? Sure! I myself am partial to kick cb eggs at the hourly refresh to the ap. However, I have no idea how coding for that would go. So this suggestion seems to be the easier one to manage and achieve for this goal.

Are people more receptive to this kind of suggestion nowadays? Lemme know.

Honestly gonna say I support this, the five hour mark feels... arbitrary to me

6 hours ago, Falorni said:

Honestly gonna say I support this, the five hour mark feels... arbitrary to me

No more 'arbitrary' than the suggested 2-3 hours would be. 

But honestly, I'm not as against this suggestion as I used to be. I'm still completely against, say, removing the cb-cooldown altogether, but shortening it a bit might be beneficial and would certainly be less annoying for many users. 

I'm not sure that 'helping ratios' is a good justification for this though, would a slightly-shorter cooldown *actually* make a significant difference in people picking up unwanted eggs? Would people who don't do that now actually start doing it just because of a 1-2 hour change? We really don't know that. 

33 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

No more 'arbitrary' than the suggested 2-3 hours would be. 

But honestly, I'm not as against this suggestion as I used to be. I'm still completely against, say, removing the cb-cooldown altogether, but shortening it a bit might be beneficial and would certainly be less annoying for many users. 

I'm not sure that 'helping ratios' is a good justification for this though, would a slightly-shorter cooldown *actually* make a significant difference in people picking up unwanted eggs? Would people who don't do that now actually start doing it just because of a 1-2 hour change? We really don't know that. 

Yeah its just an assumption on my part on how people would respond to it. Maybe I'm just being naive about it but I do believe that people would be more willing to pick up eggs they don't want in order to move the cave. This in turn helps out the ratios which helps out the cave because more variety will be produced. 

I'm neutral here. Waiting on a cool down is still waiting regardless of whether it's two hours or five hours. I wouldn't mind if it was implemented, but I won't be upset if it's not.

I never saw the original thread for this, but I support a time reduction to being able to abandon a cave picked egg [3 hours seems fair to me]

No matter the circumstances- a player is going to abandoned that misclicked egg as soon as they're able [be it trading or AP'ing it]

*see me doing this to Nebulas after mistaking them for Silvers to this day*

Plus, with a shorter cooldown...everyone wins;

Player who misclicked gets their eggslot back faster.

Other Players have a better chance of finding the CB they need on the AP [there are some CBs I've had better luck snagging on the AP than in cave]

Still Other Players gain access to misclick trade fodder faster.

TL:DR: Support from me to time reduction (but not time removal)

3 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Would people who don't do that now actually start doing it just because of a 1-2 hour change? We really don't know that. 

As someone who currently doesn't grab stuff from the caves, if I could toss earlier than 5 hours I would pick up stuff to chuck it. 5 Hours is just too long for me to be wasting slots. I see decent codes all the time but I don't know someone who wants it and don't want to be locked for that long over it.

sometimes, i dont have 5 hours in the day! i pick up something, and then in, say, 4 hours, i'm already off my computer (and i dont play much on my phone because of how slow it can be sometimes). lowering it would massively help in that regard! i usually hunt AP unless i NEED specific breeds, but even then.. lowering it would be VERY nice!

1 hour ago, Jazeki said:

I'm neutral here. Waiting on a cool down is still waiting regardless of whether it's two hours or five hours. I wouldn't mind if it was implemented, but I won't be upset if it's not.

This. I don't support the idea; I think 5 hours is better than 3 - but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Like the last time this came up, I strongly support a reduction. Five hours might as well be 24 hours for me on non-weekend days. I do not (usually) have five hours free time and I don't think this constellation is too unusual. I'd like to be able to recover from a misclick without having to wait 19 more hours than someone who has more control over their free time.

Even a few minutes should be more than enough to discourage click-and-drop behaviour to uncover rares in the cave. (Note, I am not suggesting we reduce it to a few minutes, I'm just giving an extreme example that still does what the cooldown is meant to achieve as far as I understand it.)

Two or three hours is fine.

I support a reduction to 3 hours, I know I'd be more likely to pick up CB eggs just to yeet them later if I didn't have to wait so long. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. At the very least we'd have more CBs in the AR to pick from. ^.^

big support. i don't remember the last time i got anything from the cave because i know if i misclick i'm basically done playing DC until the next day, since i rarely sit at a computer for more than 2-3 hour increments. i have to depend on the AP to get all my CBs and i think it'd only help other AP hunters to see more CB eggs, and keep the biomes moving.

Three hours seems more reasonable, yeah, after playing a couple similar games with the same cooldown mechanic.

I'd be fine with the cooldown reduced to three hours. I have no attachment/interest in the five hours, so am fine with supporting a two hour reduction from the five hours we have had for years.

i am suporting this suggestion!

Reducing the cool down time from 5 to 3 hours, will be very nice. All thouse miss clicks, faild alt color lotos, and any other case you clicked on something you don;t want. 

Plus it will permenatly reduce the AP times, that are way to higer after the AP mehanics update.

I definitely support a 2 hour cool down. Anything that would help the biomes move quicker as I do not enjoy staring at the same 18 eggs only to see another same 18 eggs each 5 minutes I'm hunting. 

I play a 1h cooldown game and it changes a lot in my behaviour - if I need a specific breed (not necessarily a rare) but the biome doesn't move, I just almost fill my slots (all but 1) to dig it out, if it's not there, I wait the 1h and free my slots and repeat until I find what I needed, even if it takes several days because I don't set a timer and often check every several hours, not 1, but the mere fact that I COULD try again in 1h reduces the reluctancy to pick up sth I don't need, regardless how long it takes me to come back and repeat. On DC? Forget I'll click and don't even think I might dig, especially during late release when mixing is already in and I know it will be too late after 5h.

And I don't even need those empty slots on DC unless it's release time, yet I still am less likely to pick sth I don't need in DC than in that 1h cooldown game, EVEN if, in practise, I end up visiting either just once a day in the end.

The cooldown length will have an infuence in player behaviour, 3h wouldn't be drastic, 1h would be more obvious. With DC's "once picked up, it won't vanish unless it dies or is killed" I see no problem in the inscreased digging behaviours, vast majority of those eggs will find home eventually and ratios shouldn't get ruined.
Of course no cooldown wouldn't work, but 1h-3h woudn't spoil anything.

I think 2 hours is too short, to be honest.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, Alesita said:

i am suporting this suggestion!

Reducing the cool down time from 5 to 3 hours, will be very nice. All thouse miss clicks, faild alt color lotos, and any other case you clicked on something you don;t want. 

Plus it will permenatly reduce the AP times, that are way to higer after the AP mehanics update.

I'll go along with this and, to my way of collecting, it will also improve the quality of eggs in the AP.  This will give me an actual choice instead of causing me to keep any egg I find that meets my requirements.

Without applying any actions, it takes 3 days to hatch an egg.

I think it should take 3 hours to be able to drop it.

Also, 24 is divisible by 3. The 5 has always bugged me in this regard - it has no relation to anything!

I know, I'm weird.

6 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Also, 24 is divisible by 3. The 5 has always bugged me in this regard - it has no relation to anything!

I know, I'm weird.

Same. XD

I've been wishing for a while now that the cooldown could be reduced to 3 hours!

This is mainly based on the time I spend on DC - I'm generally not on for 5+ hours at a time, so it kinda turns the "5 hour" wait into a much longer period - because I pick up the egg and then can't get rid of it till I come back to the site, generally 8-12 hours later.  If I pick up an egg in the morning (let's say 7-8 AM) before work, then chuck it when I log in again after work at 6 PM, that's 8-9ish hours it sat on my scroll taking up an egg slot.  If I pick it up while playing after work, say around 6-7 PM, it won't be tossable until after I'm in bed asleep, so I can't get rid of it till the next morning, ie. 11-12 hours later.

At least with a 3-hour cooldown I wouldn't be holding eggs overnight. I could catch them in the early evening, wait three hours, toss them, then breed or go hunting again before bedtime so that I'm gaining time on eggs I want instead of misclicks.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:38 AM, Ruby Eyes said:

I know, I'm weird.

I feel like our brains work the same way, because I feel like this too XD 

Complete support to reducing it, but I do think anything below 3 is a bit short.

For me, I don't much care about the abandoning part of the CD. It could be less, so I partially agree, but what I would REALLY like to see is a lack of a CD on CBs for trading. 

Say you find a trade on the hub. You really really want that trade, but you don't have the right thing to offer. You run to the cave, find the CB you're looking for, go to trade it, and get slapped in the face with a "too young" message. You now have to hope that the trade will stay for the next five hours and will not have an offer accepted or be canceled. I think at the very least, it would be beneficial to remove the CD on CB trading. 

2 hours ago, PokeCat said:

For me, I don't much care about the abandoning part of the CD. It could be less, so I partially agree, but what I would REALLY like to see is a lack of a CD on CBs for trading. 

Say you find a trade on the hub. You really really want that trade, but you don't have the right thing to offer. You run to the cave, find the CB you're looking for, go to trade it, and get slapped in the face with a "too young" message. You now have to hope that the trade will stay for the next five hours and will not have an offer accepted or be canceled. I think at the very least, it would be beneficial to remove the CD on CB trading. 

I feel like this has been suggested before, not sure, but either way I really like it. The only thing is, the CD would have to "transfer" with the egg I think, otherwise people would just swap eggs with their friends to eliminate the CD altogether. 

Regardless, I also support a general reduction of the CD, 3 hours seems much more reasonable already.