Murkydepths

Buy hatchies in market

I suggest we be able to buy hatchlings in the market, for a higher price, maybe x3 the amount of shards of the egg? 

My reasoning: It'd be cool. Not necessary, but cool.

How it'd work is a second button next to the buy for 'buy hatchie', eggs that have multiple colour variants would result in a random variant(eg gemshards, you could get any of the three colours). All hatchies are s1. The laid on/hatched on date would be the same date, whenever the egg was bought.

EDIT: Added example for variant eggs.

Edited by Murkydepths

Is no-one prepared to wait for anything these days ? No support, sorry. Egg raising is part of the deal.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Is no-one prepared to wait for anything these days ? No support, sorry. Egg raising is part of the deal.

I just want somethin to spend my shards on, eggs are meh when I can catch from cave.

No for the following reasons:

1. Can't influnce (you're at the mercy of lady luck)

2. Can't trade (your nebula hatchling went blue...you needed green)

3. No surprise on multi-colored hatchies (yeah, makes it easier for an all red Gemshard lineage but...)

I much prefer being able to buy eggs that (outside of color) I can control. Plus, I can't always find/don't have time to find the egg I need in cave, so the market is a huge boon in that regard.

Sorry, but no support here

4 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

No for the following reasons:

1. Can't influnce (you're at the mercy of lady luck)

2. Can't trade (your nebula hatchling went blue...you needed green)

3. No surprise on multi-colored hatchies (yeah, makes it easier for an all red Gemshard lineage but...)

I much prefer being able to buy eggs that (outside of color) I can control. Plus, I can't always find/don't have time to find the egg I need in cave, so the market is a huge boon in that regard.

Sorry, but no support here

Ok but...it's optional? Not like market eggs would go away. And your no.3 point doesn't work, I already said that dragons with variants would randomly pick which hatchie you got. 

Yeah, I give you zero support on this. Your supposed to raise a dragon from birth, not start it off as a hatchie. I will never give support on this. 

No support from me either, for the same reasons as the others. It's just instant gratification in a game where waiting is the main mechanic.

No support for same reasons as others. It almost feels like cheating, just completely skipping the egg process with no time/effort. Dragons start as eggs. That's how they exist, they start as eggs. To get a hatchling it has to have been an egg at some point. (And what exactly would it's page say, would it just not have the 'laid on' text at all, would the 'hatched on' become it's version of 'laid'??)

Narratively, I don't see that happening either.

What kind of market would that be with nearly 300 hatchlings leashed everywhere? Can you imagine the ruckus and the smell?

I don't think dc mechanics are that bothered about narrative, we have the ap page which has hundreds of eggs stacked on top of each other and thousands of dragons were somehow taking care of on our scrolls. 

As for the laid on hatched on thing, I imagine they'd say the same date? Will add that top top post.

I support this. The time limits on eggs and hatchies are arbitrary in the first place. 

As for gender

Why not allow a little check box for male, female and random if you want a surprise?

For the color variations why not just have the option to buy a different color?

If you want a surprise on which color is going to pop out of the egg then dont buy a hatchie from the market. Its as simple as that. You do not need to participate in buying hatchies in the market if you consider it ruining a surprise, cheating and want to wait instead. 

All of the reasons I see against this are subjective and personal imo. You do not need to participate if you don't want to. It will already take a long time of playing to be able to buy a gold egg from the market. Whats wrong with making it twice or thrice as long to buy a gold hatchie? What someone else buys in the market does not affect you because the market is unlimited as long as you have the shards. 

I wouldn't mind if this ends up being implemented so I'll support it.  

On the "realism" argument, we have eggs hatching in 3 days (with BSA), hatchlings turning into adults in 4 days. I don't think that's realistic either. 

7 minutes ago, Saynna said:

On the "realism" argument, we have eggs hatching in 3 days (with BSA), hatchlings turning into adults in 4 days. I don't think that's realistic either. 

I never talked about realism, if that's what you were aiming at.

(We're still talking about dragons here.)

26 minutes ago, CellyBean said:

I support this. The time limits on eggs and hatchies are arbitrary in the first place. 

As for gender

Why not allow a little check box for male, female and random if you want a surprise?

For the color variations why not just have the option to buy a different color?

If you want a surprise on which color is going to pop out of the egg then dont buy a hatchie from the market. Its as simple as that. You do not need to participate in buying hatchies in the market if you consider it ruining a surprise, cheating and want to wait instead. 

All of the reasons I see against this are subjective and personal imo. You do not need to participate if you don't want to. It will already take a long time of playing to be able to buy a gold egg from the market. Whats wrong with making it twice or thrice as long to buy a gold hatchie? What someone else buys in the market does not affect you because the market is unlimited as long as you have the shards. 

Hmmm good point. The market is supposed to be the 'safe predictable' version, where you wait a long time in order to be certain of an egg. The only problem with having certain variants is, should those hatchies be priced higher?

Buying eggs from market, you gain bein able to choose egg no luck involved, but you pay in more time spent saving up shards. Buying hatchies from market is the same payoff as egg, just more expensive because hatchies are more desirable and have less time. I think if you had the option to pick genders or colours, there'd have to be an additional price for that too.

I think I'd be fine with random hatchies, or ability to specifically pick with higher price. 

11 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I never talked about realism, if that's what you were aiming at.

(We're still talking about dragons here.)

Yes but you were mentioning about narratives which honestly should be secondary to this game which is focusing on collecting dragons. Narratively and realistically in the game there should be plenty of dragons that refuse to breed with other species 100%. But they dont because the lore behind them comes second to the collecting of dragons. 

And for a real life example, look up reptile expos. Tons of animals brought to a marketplace to be bought and sold. They are kept in containers so that the animals dont wander around and cause a mess. So even in real life you have these kinds of markets happening. 

4 minutes ago, CellyBean said:

Yes but you were mentioning about narratives which honestly should be secondary to this game which is focusing on collecting dragons.

It might be secondary for YOU. It is not secondary for everyone.

Either way, I voiced my opinion on this, and now I'm out, as I do not see this going anywhere constructively either way.

3 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It might be secondary for YOU. It is not secondary for everyone.

Either way, I voiced my opinion on this, and now I'm out, as I do not see this going anywhere constructively either way.

??? How can it be secondary to me when the game is literally pick up an egg and hatch it. It's like required to play the game otherwise you have an empty scroll you do nothing with. Adding on names, descriptions are secondary to the game as it does not affect gameplay. So yes the narrative is secondary.

I probably wouldn't use it, but I support this.

I'm not convinced this would be anything like cheating - hatchling raising is between 1/2 and 3/5ths of the job of raising a dragon anyway and there are various scenarios in which you can get "free" hatchlings already (1 - you can grab a hatchling offered on the DC Community Notice Board, 2 - pick up an egg from the AP that already has a big hole in it and incubate it, 3 - pick up a random AP egg and offer it on a trade offering a hatchling for free -- of course, in all these cases, someone else might get it or there might not be one around (and in the latter two options you need an egg slot briefly), but you can also only get 100 shards a week and if the cheapest hatchlings cost you two or more weeks of playing, it's definitely not an infinite well of hatchlings by any measure).

For what it's worth, I don't even think they need to be that much more expensive than eggs, I'd be okay with e.g. double the price.

I think if this was going to be implemented, hatchies would need to be more than double cost.

I'm not inherently opposed to this idea, and would likely use it at least occasionally if it became a thing, but the hatchling prices would definitely have to be balanced differently. For commons/uncommons I don't think 2-3x the price is enough; why would you ever buy a common egg for 100 shards when the hatchling is only 200-300 shards? 

1 hour ago, schenanigans said:

I'm not inherently opposed to this idea, and would likely use it at least occasionally if it became a thing, but the hatchling prices would definitely have to be balanced differently. For commons/uncommons I don't think 2-3x the price is enough; why would you ever buy a common egg for 100 shards when the hatchling is only 200-300 shards? 

Good point. Maybe also have a base price for any hatchie at say...500 shards? And then + extra shards depending on rarity/shard price.

Although 300 shards is still 3 weeks of saving, for a very common hatchie.

Edited by Murkydepths

5 hours ago, CellyBean said:

??? How can it be secondary to me when the game is literally pick up an egg and hatch it. It's like required to play the game otherwise you have an empty scroll you do nothing with. Adding on names, descriptions are secondary to the game as it does not affect gameplay. So yes the narrative is secondary.

(bolding for emphasis) The game is literally *pick up an egg and hatch it*. Hatchies don't just appear out of thin air, *somewhere* they have to be an egg and get stats and hatch first. *That* is the game. 

1 hour ago, schenanigans said:

Agreed. This really is just wanting to have a hatchie with none of the work normally associated with getting one, I'd think the luxury of having an instant hatchie with no egg-time would warrant a pretty large increase in price. Not sure exactly how that would scale though, realistically I don't think hatchies of the most expensive breeds should be much more than 2x the price simply because of how long that would actually take to save up, but commons definitely shouldn't just be 200-300 shards for hatchies.

I can't really support this. It is a good suggestion, but why would you bother raising eggs in the first place for something more desirable? Given that the site gives shards for all sorts of activities, accumulating the 100 shards weekly is really easy. At that rate, I'd imagine some long-term scroll owners resulting into mass-breeding something random into AP just for shards (to some people mass-breeding is already a problem). Because heck, they've raised some eggs thousands of times already, someone else do the job.

Then it would just be coming around once a week to make another mass-breeding.

Sure others will pick up their mess, no worries, someone else is always getting those ER cases... But given that there have been suggestions on how to limit the mass-breeding, I'd imagine this would just add to the problem... just to get that one rare specific hatchling or multiple commons to avoid... what?

The oh so bad egg stage that I have to wait maximum of 3 days to hatch. Minimum of 2 days of hatching with incubate, oh so awful... how time-consuming. How dare you expect me to wait from few hours to one day to hatch an egg from abandoned page... oh no, so dreadful.

Sarcasm aside, just no. If this were to be implemented, I'd rather see increase in difficulty of actually getting the shards by having to actually raise the dragons you pick... or put some sort of limitation to it so no one would straight up abuse the system just to avoid the egg stage and creating further problems that already exist.

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Not sure exactly how that would scale though, realistically I don't think hatchies of the most expensive breeds should be much more than 2x the price simply because of how long that would actually take to save up, but commons definitely shouldn't just be 200-300 shards for hatchies.

If this there to be implemented, then I think "Hatchie cost = egg cost + 200 300" would be a good pricing scheme.

Edited by Lost_Unicorn