1. 1. Which veggies float your boat ?

• Lagie’s pumpkin
    • water_angel’s pepper
    • purplehaze’s shopping
    • Ruby Eyes’ lunch
    • GhostMouse’s Romanesco
    • Long_Before_Sunrise’s - leftovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/29/2021 at 09:26 AM

It seems to have a few names and there is also non-fractal green cauliflower (and other colors! I saw orange and purple at the store, but I thought the fractal shape was more exciting). I just went with what it said on the label!

I found it at a small chain grocery store that carries more specialty foods. My regular grocery store never carries anything this unusual.

I am shopping tomorrow. I shall look !

Last day to show me your veggies !

And clovers. There's gotta be one lucky on there ...

Yellow wood sorrel actually. The clover is on the other side of the yard.

We only have white wood sorrel around here !

There's the yellow wood sorrel that has smaller leaves and now is the time it is most abundant and it likes sun. There's purple wood sorrel which grows much bigger leaves and likes shadier areas and is nearly year round. The white clover has white markings on its leaves and is evergreen. Red clover is taller and actually flowers from pink to purple, not red. Crimson clover is limited to mid-spring and has dark green leaves and fuzzy red wands for flowers. And there's also some kind of spring violet that looks much like purple wood sorrel, but the leaves droop and have a reddish touch to them.

And shamrocks are a different plant altogether. But the leaves on all of them all look much alike. 

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

Oh I know them all (I am a wildflower geek...)- but we only get white here.

However - I must point out that I was arguing that sorrel =/= shamrock for ages, and all my Irish friends (I have an Irish partner)  said it is SO. So I looked it up and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock

See, I am totally plant-illiterate so it never occurred to me that there were different things that looked like clover XD

My Irish partner tells me that in his experience most Irish people call whatever they are lucky enough to have in their gardens shamrock - certainly his very very old relative whose precise place in his family I can't remember has wood sorrel and says it is shamrock !!! I guess as long as they feel lucky... :lol:

Clover is medicinal (herb), but usually as tea. 

The oxalis in wood sorrel's botanical name is for oxalic acid which means 'don't eat too much or you'll regret it.' It binds up calcium in the body and can cause kidney stones

I loved the photos and voted. It was a really hard choice between the variety because there was so much difference but they were all really great pics so I really enjoyed them all! I like how different and fun they all are. So great round!

And we have a winner - congratulations to GhostMouse. 

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e476e4ua6esefseuyryt