Ruby Eyes

Forum: How to delete old messages? found: tickbox on the left, popup at the bottom (only sometimes though)

You used to be able to remove a conversation from your inbox using that Options button in the top right corner.

Right now, that Options button is dead, it doesn't do ANYTHING, on either forum skin.

Using Firefox, scripts permitted for dragcave.net.

Selecting a tickbox in the listing on the left creates a small black popup at the bottom - hard to see on certain backgrounds ...

image.png.21fc8feb60566d2c4108d07367cf60e7.png

Thanks @Zimtie

Obviously, that dead "options" button should be removed entirely ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Not only that - but you can't remove people from conversations, or delete any messages from the list (you used to be able to check several and delete them as a lump.)  

@Lagie I am still experimenting, so if all your messages with me suddenly vanish - it's not PERSONAL as such !

Yeah, experiencing this too. Wanted to clean out my inbox a bit, the Options drop-down doesn't open anymore.

@TJ09 - have you seen this, and can you please help ?

ETA wait - at least the trashcan at the bottom is back.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

And the Options button is the only way to move messages from one folder to another, as far as I know, so having it inactive disables doing that!

When I check the box on a message in the list on the left hand side a "pop up" will open for me and I can delete the message just fine? See enclosed screenshot.

I use Opera and have disabled the adblocker/trackerstuff for the forum.

delete.jpg

7 minutes ago, Zimtie said:

When I check the box on a message in the list on the left hand side a "pop up" will open for me and I can delete the message just fine?

That's how it worked for me. Click in box. Click trashcan/arrow pop up. Click confirm. Poof. Message gone.

I can delete messages that way, too.

However, we still need the Options button to move messages and possibly other things that I can't remember were in there.

I keep a folder for pending trades or gifts and I can't get messages moved into it from my inbox any more -- unless someone knows another way to do that.

5 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I keep a folder for pending trades or gifts and I can't get messages moved into it from my inbox any more -- unless someone knows another way to do that.

Same way that Zimtie described. There is an arrow there next to the trashcan.

Would be fine, if that actually worked! I tried it just now and the message is still sitting stubbornly in my inbox.

Hm, it did work for me. It moved the message and myself into the other folder.

Maybe this is one of the cases where it sometimes miraculously works and sometimes doesn't for unknown reasons.

Another issue I have with that black popup:

When you return to the inbox and want to select another conversation, the popup pops up and immediately disappears again. Only after un-ticking and re-ticking it pops up to stay ...

We should also be able to remove people from the conversation as we used to be able to. And now we can't.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

We should also be able to remove people from the conversation as we used to be able to. And now we can't.

Really? I think I just did that. Sent a message to you and then removed you. It's still the arrow next to the other person's name.

I finally got it to move a message to another folder. It moved it to the wrong one and now I can't get it back to the inbox or to the correct folder! :angry:

OK - ruby; I got a note by email that there was a message and the message isn't there. But the buttons for that do not work for me.

All I get next to the name is

image.png.7245fc4a59ced4b59047357cccd50ab7.png

And the options button has no effect of any kind. Nothing drops down.

@Fuzzbucket

I think you cannot remove someone who has already read any message in that convo. I don't think you ever could?

@purplehaze

I do not know why it won't work for you. I just tested it and it worked for me (and my browser is usually the wonky one).

Could it be a cache or cookies issue?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Yes you absolutely could. And I still do on my other invision forum - we have a number of group projects where people come and go, and....

You get something like this:

image.png.10ecea52023ca208462a804b8e0f2bee.png

and any time you like you can click and invite them back in.

image.png.89ba07f79267fe64b727476da2ec5931.png

And I just moved something and now i can't move it back either....

Edited by Fuzzbucket

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

@purplehaze

I do not know why it won't work for you. I just tested it and it worked for me (and my browser is usually the wonky one).

Could it be a cache or cookies issue?

Edited 4 hours ago by Ruby Eyes

Just cleared cache and deleted cookies and still can't move the things I want to -- including the one that it moved earlier to a different folder than the one I asked it to and now won't let me move it back.

What she said. Clearing cache makes no difference, nor does changing skin or changing browser. Even tried a browser I have NEVER used for the forum before.

27 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Even tried a browser I have NEVER used for the forum before.

Same here, and I still can't move the messages!

OH - my options button now works some: I still cannot use "remove from conversation" but the options one says I can move things.... one moment....

Yes - that now seems to be the best way to move stuff, but the other works. too.

Yay! My options button now allows me to move things from the inbox to another folder and allowed me to move the misplaced message from yesterday into the correct folder.

The checkboxes do nothing for me (in regard to moving messages). The option is there, but it doesn't work. I'm okay with that, though, as long as the Options button works to move them.

I still want to be able to remove people when it's appropriate.