Jump to content
AncientFyre

Resuscitate/Revive egg

Recommended Posts

I wasn't able to find this on the forum, so I wondered: Right now there are quite a few ways an egg can die:

1. running out of time without enough views

2. biting by vampire

3. forcing via earthquake

4. using "kill"

5. viewbombing

Currently we have "revive" for hatchies and adults, but not for eggs. It seems a bit illogical, as the egg description states that "Unborn dragons are actually physically mature and ready to hatch early on in their development cycle." So why not allow them a second chance?

We could use the existing "revive" action, or if a different type of coding was needed (don't know, I'm not into programming), we could have an action "Resuscitate".

These things could happen:

- The attempt is successful and the egg returns to its former state. ("You succeed in saving the egg and its inhabitant by patching the shell together again.")

- The attempt is successful and the egg hatches. ("You gently pull the smashed bits of shell apart and manage to save the hatchie inside.")

- The attempt fails and the egg is dead for good. ("You try to resuscitate the small life inside the smashed egg using magic, but sadly you fail. The shell crumles into bits." )

Share this post


Link to post

I semi support.

 

If its for something out of your control, such as viewbombing then yes, 100%, and possibly running out of time as real life is a thing and sometimes we can't always remember/or are able to check on our dragons due to outside forces such as weather knocking out power, internet shut off, service interrupted, etc.

 

if its for an action you did such as earthquake, flat out killing or trying to bite it then no. That's a risk you take when performing such an action and loss of the egg is a fair and worthy punishment. in fact this happened to me earlier today when I tried to bite an egg. I bit two, one got repulse by my clan and the other was killed as my rookie vampire was careless. That's the price I paid for trying to get a vamp, and I accept that, even with a heavy heart.

Share this post


Link to post

And that would be where the issue kicked in - how the game could discriminate.

 

The only situation where I'd support this would be in the case of viewbombing. We can control all the others by paying attention to our own scrolls - which we should be doing. ETA we CAN always use scroll sitters when we can't be on line.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Share this post


Link to post

I'd support this if it only works for death via unintentional methods-- the game already tracks those, it's the ones that don't tie up a slot for 24 hours. Currently it's sickness death and death of neglect.

Share this post


Link to post

I think neglecting should carry a penalty. There ARE scroll sitters...

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

There ARE scroll sitters...

Not everyone visits the forums, though. So suggesting that everyone who has a scroll join the forums to ask sitters to help them would cause stress on the sitters, and not everyone feels comfortable leaving their scrolls open to potential viewbombers, and we do get large-scale attacks on our eggs every now and then. The action, if approved may save them once, but it would most likely be a one-time BSA and therefore once the egg has been saved another viewbomber could sweep right in and kill the eggs again.

 

I myself have lost a few batches of eggs thanks to viewbombers and so my scroll is forever hidden unless I myself add them to click sites.

Share this post


Link to post

I think I could be in support of this.
I suppose it would only work if the egg's message was "Unfortunately this egg has died." rather than it has been killed.

Share this post


Link to post

I've never heard of scroll sitters before. I've been on Dragon Cave for years, but I'm rarely on the forums. I'd bet that most players who don't frequent the forums aren't familiar with it either.

 

Even if I did know about scroll sitters I wouldn't want to trust a stranger with my eggs.

Share this post


Link to post

The official scroll sitters have not been active for quite some time, although the thread is probably still around somewhere. They could not sign in to your scroll, but only placed your eggs in hatcheries or removed them as needed.

Scroll sitters are not completely the answer to eggs dying while you are unavailable anyway. They only work for planned or known absences, not for sudden things like power outages or serious illness or other things that can't be anticipated. They also could not protect against viewbombing as they could not fog or ward eggs.

Friends could possibly act as scroll sitters in some situations like that, but not all.

 

That said, I am still not sure I am solidly in favor of this suggestion.

I would definitely not support it for the results of any action on the scroll owner's part, such as bite, earthquake, or kill.

Share this post


Link to post

While my knee-jerk reaction is the same as some posts here, ie this should only be an option for accidental death and not from an action you specifically took..... Why not? If we are going to have a 'revive egg' option at all, why should it be restricted that way, when reviving hatchlings and adults aren't? I get the thinking behind that, but because we already do have this same mechanic for hatchlings and adults without restricting the 'whys', I don't see the logic in restricting the egg-revive that way. If it's because using a deliberate action like bite/etc comes with a risk and we shouldn't be able to avoid that risk, okay I get that, but the 'revive' we already have has such a small success rate that I feel like using that same mechanic/success rate for eggs would be fine and wouldn't necessarily be a loophole to avoid negative consequences. 

 

I'm fairly neutral on this suggestion, I can see why it would be wanted and why it could work in-game. I probably wouldn't use it, but I can't see any reason for it not to be an option.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Syiren said:

Not everyone visits the forums, though. So suggesting that everyone who has a scroll join the forums to ask sitters to help them would cause stress on the sitters,

I use personal friends, myself. I realise the thread here is inactive - but asking a friend to keep an eye on eggs and put them in/take them out of hatcheries works - worst case scenario they die - which they would have done anyway without help, if I wasn't around to do it myself.

 

3 hours ago, Syiren said:

 

and not everyone feels comfortable leaving their scrolls open to potential viewbombers, and we do get large-scale attacks on our eggs every now and then. The action, if approved may save them once, but it would most likely be a one-time BSA and therefore once the egg has been saved another viewbomber could sweep right in and kill the eggs again.

 

I myself have lost a few batches of eggs thanks to viewbombers and so my scroll is forever hidden unless I myself add them to click sites.

Viewbombing is something else. But that's a point - if an egg has been saved once and is bombed again - how many times could you do this revive thing ?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

but asking a friend to keep an eye on eggs and put them in/take them out of hatcheries works

okay but DC is a solo game, and someone who forgets about their eggs long enough that they die is probably unlikely to also have friends who know what the game even is. Not to mention needing the courage to bother your friends and having to know when you'll need babysitting.

 

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

how many times could you do this revive thing ?

I should hope it's once like regular revive.

 

 

 

 

 

To be frank I don't like this idea much simply because piecing back together a smashed egg and expecting it to be okay is kind of... weird? Half-developed eggs are a little more liquid than a corpse is, and I don't see how the game would distinguish between a developed egg with a viable hatchie versus a mostly yolk fresh egg when they're both dead. But if I did support this, I would also support having it work for any death, given the odds are so low. 

 

A surprise zombie hatchie would be pretty funny though.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

To be frank I don't like this idea much simply because piecing back together a smashed egg and expecting it to be okay is kind of... weird? Half-developed eggs are a little more liquid than a corpse is, and I don't see how the game would distinguish between a developed egg with a viable hatchie versus a mostly yolk fresh egg when they're both dead. But if I did support this, I would also support having it work for any death, given the odds are so low. 

 

A surprise zombie hatchie would be pretty funny though.

this. that last part is pretty funny tho lol.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

While my knee-jerk reaction is the same as some posts here, ie this should only be an option for accidental death and not from an action you specifically took..... Why not? If we are going to have a 'revive egg' option at all, why should it be restricted that way, when reviving hatchlings and adults aren't? I get the thinking behind that, but because we already do have this same mechanic for hatchlings and adults without restricting the 'whys', I don't see the logic in restricting the egg-revive that way. If it's because using a deliberate action like bite/etc comes with a risk and we shouldn't be able to avoid that risk, okay I get that, but the 'revive' we already have has such a small success rate that I feel like using that same mechanic/success rate for eggs would be fine and wouldn't necessarily be a loophole to avoid negative consequences. 

 

I'm fairly neutral on this suggestion, I can see why it would be wanted and why it could work in-game. I probably wouldn't use it, but I can't see any reason for it not to be an option.


This. Don't over complicate things. We can revive hatchies that die for any reason, same should be true of eggs. They shouldn't operate under separate logic. It's just be confusing and annoying.

 

My only real reservation about it is that with the shattered egg sprite it looks so obviously dead, but I suppose with magic and the right text describing the attempt it'd be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post

How about killing two birds with one stone. Reviving an egg - gives you a frozen egg sprite instead of a growing thing ?

 

But @angelicdragonpuppy if you deliberately kill an egg, why on earth should you not have to bite the bullet and take the consequences. No way would I support undoing a deliberate kill.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

why on earth should you not have to bite the bullet and take the consequences.

Because you can do that with hatchies and adults too, whether by fog or deliberate murder. Are vampires so different from zombies just because it's an egg? You perform an action with a large risk of permanently losing the dragon either way.

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How about killing two birds with one stone. Reviving an egg - gives you a frozen egg sprite instead of a growing thing ?

 

But @angelicdragonpuppy if you deliberately kill an egg, why on earth should you not have to bite the bullet and take the consequences. No way would I support undoing a deliberate kill.


Because you can deliberately kill a hatchie and revive it. I don't think there should be separate rules for the two.

Revival is a super low chance anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Reviving an egg - gives you a frozen egg sprite instead of a growing thing ?

Like just superglueing the pieces together magically - sounds good to me!

 

10 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

A surprise zombie hatchie would be pretty funny though.

With enough stats - I don't see why not? XD

Share this post


Link to post

I'm on the fence.

 

For deliberate actions (kill, earthquake) - no

 

For accidental circumstances - maybe.

 

I say maybe to accidental because sure, your egg might have run out of time and died because you lost power and couldn't get on for a few days...

 

I don't see a point to the revived egg being frozen or giving a frozen hatchling [chances are - if I'm reviving an egg, ita because I need the dragon within for a specific purpose *ex. A lineage*]...rather I feel revive should just restore the egg to full - maybe it sets the egg to 4 days (so well within hatching time)?

 

Again...Sort of accidental circumstances, I just dont see a point to this other than consistency of the action

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/25/2021 at 5:30 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

I think neglecting should carry a penalty. There ARE scroll sitters...

Scroll sitters are not an official part of the game.

 

Not everyone uses the forums. Not everyone has online friends who play or would remember to throw a username in a website. Not all absences allow for someone to tell their friend to babysit some pixel eggs.

 

Scroll sitters should not be a factor in deciding what the restrictions of this are.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

I'm on the fence.

 

For deliberate actions (kill, earthquake) - no

 

For accidental circumstances - maybe.

 

I say maybe to accidental because sure, your egg might have run out of time and died because you lost power and couldn't get on for a few days...

 

I don't see a point to the revived egg being frozen or giving a frozen hatchling [chances are - if I'm reviving an egg, ita because I need the dragon within for a specific purpose *ex. A lineage*]...rather I feel revive should just restore the egg to full - maybe it sets the egg to 4 days (so well within hatching time)?

 

Again...Sort of accidental circumstances, I just dont see a point to this other than consistency of the action

 

 

Somewhat confused here, you said no if the egg was deliberately killed but also want the action to be consistent. Revive currently works on hatchlings and adults that were deliberately killed. In fact deliberate action is the only way to get a dead adult dragon.

 

My only question is does it only have a chance to revive or crumble? Or does it have the same chance of becoming a zombie, in which case it would need to auto-hatch because there are no zombie eggs and zombies can't grow. If it could become a zombie is that considered an exploit as you can kill a brand new 7 day egg and get hatchling (that is frozen) out of it?

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Keileon said:

Scroll sitters are not an official part of the game.

 

Not everyone uses the forums. Not everyone has online friends who play or would remember to throw a username in a website. Not all absences allow for someone to tell their friend to babysit some pixel eggs.

 

Scroll sitters should not be a factor in deciding what the restrictions of this are.

No indeed, but I just mentioned them because someone said there was no way to mind your scroll if life bit you in the bum. And they can be a way - it seemed useful to point this out to someone who had clearly never thought of it. In case life does it to them some time.

 

21 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:


Because you can deliberately kill a hatchie and revive it. I don't think there should be separate rules for the two.

Revival is a super low chance anyway.

 That's only because you can make a hatchie into a zombie. There's a game-specific mechanic tied to reviving hatchies, one that there is not in terms of an egg.

Share this post


Link to post

I am neutral on this overall. 
 

However I do wonder, if your egg slots were full and you were successful, would you not go above the slots? Like you can with hatchies. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

I am neutral on this overall. 
 

However I do wonder, if your egg slots were full and you were successful, would you not go above the slots? Like you can with hatchies. 

When it happens with hatchlings it just means more have to grow or be frozen before you're unlocked. Persumably this would work the same.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That's only because you can make a hatchie into a zombie. There's a game-specific mechanic tied to reviving hatchies, one that there is not in terms of an egg.

 

Yes, that's true. But even so I'd rather the rules for reviving an egg and hatchie be consistent across both. I can picture the dozens of help threads asking "WHY couldn't I revive my egg?!" now. Confusion reduction is a good thing.

I also really don't think there's much exploit potential here. The odds of revive succeeding are so small that using earthquake / bite / whatever is still very high risk. I don't think it's worth it to have egg/hatchie revival behave by different rules, which is confusing, just to keep a very small percent of dead earthquake / bite / whatever things from being revived.

Honestly I imagine just as with hatchies, revive can only be used once--so a revived egg couldn't be revived again as a hatchie. That's enough tradeoff, imo.

 

TL;DR I don't think there's enough reason to justify eggs and hatchies having different revival rules, which I can see confusing people.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.