Zilverwing

ANSWERED:Can't change email on scroll??

I'm trying to change my old email on my scroll to my new one, yet it keeps telling me that my new one is already in use (which I'm aware I get emails from the forum on it). Is there a way to fix this to my scroll since i'm wanting to keep up with the monthly prize raffles and look out for the message on my new email, but the account settings won't let me change it if my email is already in use??

The cave and the forum accounts are independent from each other.

If your email address is new, there's a chance that someone else used to use it and had signed up on the site with it?

Clicking on the link to the raffle will let you know if you won, so don't panic if you can't get it fixed in time for the drawing.

Well, this means there's an account using your email, possibly an old one you or someone you know created. You can go into private or incognito browsing and request a password reset, which will send that account's username and a password reset link into your email, allowing you to go in and change that account's email.

As long as you don't do anything else with the defunct account, this shouldn't break any rules.

How do you know that the other account is in fact defunct and not belonging to someone who just doesn't care about their old email address?

@Ruby Eyes Because most email services don't allow reuse of old emails even if they're long inactive, so odds are very low that it belongs to someone unrelated.

6 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

@Ruby Eyes Because most email services don't allow reuse of old emails even if they're long inactive, so odds are very low that it belongs to someone unrelated.

Most, not all. Sadly. Or at least not since the beginning of their existence - kind of like DC used to wipe out dragon and account names from inactivity but does not do that anymore.

I once had such a case that the name I used turned out to be slightly too generic, and I received messages that were definitely NOT intended for me (and weren't just spam either).

To return to the question - is the OP aware that where they need to go is to their CAVE account settings rather than forum ? That question hasn't been answered...

On 2/26/2021 at 7:12 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

To return to the question - is the OP aware that where they need to go is to their CAVE account settings rather than forum ? That question hasn't been answered...

Yes I'm aware that I had to go into my Cave Account settings which is what I was meaning on the question asked. It wouldn't let me change my email since it's saying it's already in use.  My cave account is currently under my old email which is pretty much a dead one that I haven't used in years. I tried to change it to my other email that is getting messages from Dragcave's forums, but of course it's telling me that its already in use because as some of the replies above have stated that the forums and cave accounts are separate.

Does this mean I cannot put it on my cave account regardless because I'm already using it on the forums?

39 minutes ago, Zilverwing said:

Does this mean I cannot put it on my cave account regardless because I'm already using it on the forums?

No. The forum and cave are completely separate, and having an account on one should not stop you from using the same e-mail for the other. The first thing to do would be to log out and try to do a password reset for the e-mail that you want to use. If there's really an account using your that e-mail already, then you will get a mail to reset the login for it.

If there us a separate scroll using the email you want then yes, you will not be able to change your scroll to use it. Changing the password as above will only lock whomever is using the other scroll out. And since you can't have two scrolls you should leave it alone.

Edited by DragonLady86

6 hours ago, Zilverwing said:

Yes I'm aware that I had to go into my Cave Account settings which is what I was meaning on the question asked. It wouldn't let me change my email since it's saying it's already in use.  My cave account is currently under my old email which is pretty much a dead one that I haven't used in years. I tried to change it to my other email that is getting messages from Dragcave's forums, but of course it's telling me that its already in use because as some of the replies above have stated that the forums and cave accounts are separate.

No - I use the same email for both, and I'm sure many of us do.

But if you do as 11th suggests, that should show you what scroll it thinks it needs a new password for !

Alright, so I tried what 11th suggested and it said: Unable to find account. That account has been disabled.

OK - how about creating a brand new email and using that instead ?

Are you absolutely sure you don't have another scroll you had forgotten about ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I guess I could do that and if I recall correctly...I did have another scroll before, but I had that one closed or disabled by TJ since I managed to get access back to my scroll I'm using now or so. I doubt I can do anything else with this topic now aside from what Fuzz suggested which is make a new email, so a mod can close this if they can

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Are you absolutely sure you don't have another scroll you had forgotten about ?

Given it says "That account has been disabled" instead of simply "not found" I imagine that's the scroll they had forgotten about.