TJ09

2021-02-17 - Abandoned Page Updates

21 minutes ago, snoesiepoes said:

Put some tape over it. Problem solved?

Wouldn't work. The eggs often shift slightly up and down the page with each refresh, depending on whether some of them have different timestamps than the others and whether there are any "tall" eggs (like balloons) mixed in with the others.

It's just something people need to learn to tune out. By next Halloween I'm sure we'll all be pros at it. 🙂

6 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

Question:  Does this mean that we can still have single breed walls but it will now take two breeders to accomplish it?

:D :D :D you know, I knew someone would take that as a challenge!  Ah, humanity! :D

Why do people mass-breed and then mass-abandon eggs, anyway? Usually it's common breeds that end up flooding the AP. Walls of one breed is just annoying when you're trying to find something different, and I would imagine most of those eggs end up dying anyway.

Edited by FennecFyre

Just now, FennecFyre said:

Why do people mass-breed and then mass-abandon eggs, anyway? Usually it's common breeds that end up flooding the AP.

That's exactly what I wanted to find out. Where's the fun or the benefit in doing that?

It is too bad about the Neglected AP plan, which I was really looking forward to, but ah well. This is a positive change overall and no matter which way it was done it would've spelled the end of those attempts all the same. Hopefully some sort of other rallying cry can be put forth to try for an ND AP anyway!

In terms of actual implementation, I think I would've preferred a complete separate holiday-only AP, but it's early and we'll see. I'm just glad all the (weird, insane XD) people who aren't as into Holidays now have the more to do during those times.

@FennecFyre @Shinsei there's as many answers to that question as there are people playing DC. Sometimes it's an organized forum event (like breeding all the original DC breeds on the game's anniversary, or breeding sunshine themed dragons around the summer solstice). Sometimes it's a really unlucky person with lots of dragons trying to get a rare dragon from a specific type of common mate. Sometimes it's people who hoard particular breeds trying to see how much of an army they can create. Others just breed walls to help lower the overall AP times or to share pretty lineages they've made. I know it for sure can be annoying to deal with at times, but it can also have its benefits as well (lower egg times in AP after the fact, or having fun participating in a group event, or finding lots of pretty lineages from a single breeder). The new system of limiting to 24 per person is a nice compromise between having fun and not totally disrupting things for those who aren't interested.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

THANK YOU!!! Those constant walls of hideous eggs from the same couple scrolls were ANNOYING AF! I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out and hoping that those hours, and sometimes days, of solid walls holding the game hostage are gone. 

38 minutes ago, snoesiepoes said:

Put some tape over it. Problem solved?

I actually thought about that earlier, lol. It'd be fairly simple to just tape a short strip of paper or something over that bottom row temporarily while hunting, if it's proving too hard to not let your eyes slip down. It wouldn't be the first time I taped something over my monitor to block something I didn't want to see!

Frankly, the less ability a single user has to impact the AP pile, the better : P Especially since whenever someone tries to mess with it, everyone else has to deal with it.

5 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I actually thought about that earlier, lol. It'd be fairly simple to just tape a short strip of paper or something over that bottom row temporarily while hunting, if it's proving too hard to not let your eyes slip down. It wouldn't be the first time I taped something over my monitor to block something I didn't want to see!

How about just resizing your browser?

Awesome and long overdue change!

I'll be sure to help stress-test it after Valentines so we can start collecting that data for fine-tuning the "how many eggs show per person." And before anybody wigs, I'm NOT going to breed all 1900 blacktips at once, that's proving less effective for tweaking the ratios thanks in part to my previous massbreeding efforts. Smaller batches, like whenever I just breed my CB and PB pairings, so not a "Dear god somebody just yeeted 2000 blacktip/celestial eggs at the AP" doom walls.

I think the AP change is for the better and I like it so far!

I personally really enjoy finding neat lineages in the AP... And I'm not going to stop despite others being annoyed. Sorry, not sorry: no one's forcing you to use the AP.

Somewhat disappointed this came just a day before we could do mass neglecteds, but it's a good change for the future. The current Valentine's wall provides a good visual for what single-breeder walls will look like.

53 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

:D :D :D you know, I knew someone would take that as a challenge!  Ah, humanity! :D

Oh please no, not me!  😮 I would be the last person to want to see a wall go up.  I wore myself out complaining about them until I finally just gave up.  Of course, a wall of NDs would have been quite a sight to see.  I'm wishing you folks well with your efforts. :D

1 hour ago, ColbyWolf said:

Delightful to see! :)

By any chance, could we also see the text on the page be altered?

The whole "human scent will rub off on eggs" thing is false, mostly told to kids to keep them from bothering nesting birds and wildlife.  While this is good, it also tends to lead to the idea that a baby bird found on the ground must be taken to a rehabber or left for the cat or taken inside and hand fed or something similar.

Perhaps it could be changed to some sort of magical lost and found? Or maybe the result of some strange mischievous egg stealers?  Maybe something about how breeding dragons instinctively know how many eggs they can care for and have been dropping eggs off here for time immemorial?   I dunno, but I think the lore we see around the holiday events is really neat and it'd be cool to see it folded into the rest of the site more :)  Adoption page?  ran by a nice mage maybe?

I really like this suggestion about a small lore change for the AP. I would also add that dragons are described mostly as highly intelligent beings, both in their shared description, world lore and events. They are often compared to human intelligence... And I wouldnt abandon my child to die if he/she stinks of another being. I guess. 

I haven't kept up with this thread at all, but I must say, I tune out Val day on DC (and really Xmas too), because I just don't find it interesting with being locked to 2 cb adults of each breed, I don't really create lineages and therefore have no reason to grab off AP other than my 2 frozen goal requirements. Got those done and had nothing to do but hunt in the cave, then got blocked for the new val drop (which is gorgeous btw!!!). 

So seeing this change has brought me back into the game immediately! Yes, there are other ways to play (breed for yourself, catch cb things) during these events (and walls that people breed too), but I use the ap a LOT so this has been awesome!!!

All thumbs up!

9 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

Question:  Does this mean that we can still have single breed walls but it will now take two breeders to accomplish it?

This was what I thought actually. Looks like TJ will modify value if those happens too commonly.

2 hours ago, FennecFyre said:

Why do people mass-breed and then mass-abandon eggs, anyway? Usually it's common breeds that end up flooding the AP. Walls of one breed is just annoying when you're trying to find something different, and I would imagine most of those eggs end up dying anyway.

They don't die, they all do get picked up, a good chunk may grow wild from hatch and yeet and if the ap is still low 3 days later, but most people will grab the hatchies just because they're hatchies.

2 hours ago, Shinsei said:

That's exactly what I wanted to find out. Where's the fun or the benefit in doing that?

most of the time its either love of the breed, or ratios/science. If you've seen one of the leodon walls from the last year, it's probably my fault while I tried desperately to get dorsals from leodons.

Threads about the walls go into detail about all the reasons for it if you really want to know more.

Well, I think this seems like an interesting update. Not only does it appear to solve the backlog problem, but I think it also allows for some better egg rotation in my opinion. Every time I refresh to test it out there's always new eggs. :) 

1 hour ago, Tinibree said:

They don't die, they all do get picked up, a good chunk may grow wild from hatch and yeet and if the ap is still low 3 days later, but most people will grab the hatchies just because they're hatchies.

most of the time its either love of the breed, or ratios/science. If you've seen one of the leodon walls from the last year, it's probably my fault while I tried desperately to get dorsals from leodons.

Threads about the walls go into detail about all the reasons for it if you really want to know more.

Yeah, like, a lot of the walls aren't out of malice, it's usually trying to deal with a system that wasn't designed to handle as many breeds as we currently have. Some people do it just to be annoying, but most are people either actively trying to balance ratios or struggling with ratios for personal projects

2 hours ago, Naruhina_94 said:

They are often compared to human intelligence... And I wouldnt abandon my child to die if he/she stinks of another being. I guess. 

True, but we're talking about eggs, not family members. Recognizing your own egg in a pile of other eggs seems like it would be impossible without magic. Genetics aren't visible. If I went into an IVF facility I wouldn't know which embryo was mine unless it was labeled.

so is this the reason i keep getting this? it happens with both Abandon eggs and regular biome eggs.

the first image is of a hidden cave egg.  the 2nd is of the same egg. 

hidden terra.png

hidden terra 2.png

1 hour ago, Dragonssong43 said:

so is this the reason i keep getting this? it happens with both Abandon eggs and regular biome eggs.

the first image is of a hidden cave egg.  the 2nd is of the same egg. 

hidden terra.png

hidden terra 2.png

no that's a much older thing. mostly happens at the top of the hour. basically you're grabbing the egg while the cave is shuffling the egg.

2 hours ago, Guillotine said:

Yeah, like, a lot of the walls aren't out of malice, it's usually trying to deal with a system that wasn't designed to handle as many breeds as we currently have. Some people do it just to be annoying, but most are people either actively trying to balance ratios or struggling with ratios for personal projects

I think a lot of us appreciate the admission that some players DO do it just to be annoying -- along with the explanations of some legitimate reasons to do it.

Quick clarifying question: When you say "trying to balance ratios" are you saying that creating a massive dump of a certain breed in the AP forces the system (i.e. the egg generation script, with its algorithms to maintain certain ratios) to stop generating as many eggs of that breed in the cave?

Thanks for clarifying this!

23 minutes ago, Shinsei said:

I think a lot of us appreciate the admission that some players DO do it just to be annoying -- along with the explanations of some legitimate reasons to do it.

Quick clarifying question: When you say "trying to balance ratios" are you saying that creating a massive dump of a certain breed in the AP forces the system (i.e. the egg generation script, with its algorithms to maintain certain ratios) to stop generating as many eggs of that breed in the cave?

The ratios thing is usually about breeding, when breeding two common breeds together it's often heavily biased towards one and you rarely get any of the other. A lot of people here in the forums actually *ask* for mass-breeds of specific types, in order to possibly get anything *other* than that type when breeding. So yeah, basically if a ton of Breed A is generated from breedings, eventually the ratios will go 'okay there are plenty of those now' which results in a better possibility of getting something other than Breed A from breeding.

39 minutes ago, Shinsei said:

12 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

The ratios thing is usually about breeding, when breeding two common breeds together it's often heavily biased towards one and you rarely get any of the other. A lot of people here in the forums actually *ask* for mass-breeds of specific types, in order to possibly get anything *other* than that type when breeding. So yeah, basically if a ton of Breed A is generated from breedings, eventually the ratios will go 'okay there are plenty of those now' which results in a better possibility of getting something other than Breed A from breeding.

I think (take this with a grain of salt, it's been a bit since i've checked) that breeding also impacts cave ratios somewhat--so if a breed is unpopular in the cave, breeding a bunch can help compensate and make the site generate them less in the caves proper, which leaves room for equally common but more widely desired breeds to propagate more. But 99% of it is about breeding, yes.