TJ09

2021-02-17 - Abandoned Page Updates

I like it, and it looks pretty nice!

I also thought at first that Valentine wall is ending so soon, but after reading this post everything make sense now :D

I can't wait to see how it looks like from the start of next event (so until halloween I won't know), and how it affect normal eggs in AP at that time :)

Awwwww there’s not going to be an AP neglected wall? I was looking so forward to see it since I missed the last ones...

Though does that mean the holiday wall will last a little longer?

Question:  Does this mean that we can still have single breed walls but it will now take two breeders to accomplish it?

I think this is an awesome idea, and I personally think its working well so far I like seeing the normal egg line mixed in with the valentines :) Hopefully this works for everyone's different play stiles which I think it dose and will, thoughs that mass breed and thoughs who want to simply just AP hunt.  so I think a loverly compromise for all involved ^_^

15 minutes ago, icearashi said:

there’s not going to be an AP neglected wall?

I think its possible there still might be (depending on how soon the Val. Wall can be cleared versus time left on unseen eggs) - but it wouldn't last long.

That aside, glad to be able to add to my dragons without needing to "clear a wall"

Thanks, TJ. This is a change that people have been asking for for a long time.

I feel bad for the people who were planning the ND wall and can understand their disappointment, but overall this is a good change. And I think Ruby Eyes was right that the holiday wall was the best time to start it.

I agree with starting with 24 per breeder, with the chance to decrease that if needed. I'm not sure that is enough of a change, but time will tell when we get the holiday over and people start to mass breed again.

21 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

Question:  Does this mean that we can still have single breed walls but it will now take two breeders to accomplish it?

That seems to be how it would work. So we may still have walls, but likely not nearly so many.

2 hours ago, snoesiepoes said:

Nvm, I see what you mean. Still 🤣🤣

I saw you edited your quoted post to me when you found out it wasn't pie in the sky, but just for your information, I was a contributor. 🤣

8 hours ago, TJ09 said:

There's a number of things in the pipeline that will hopefully see the light of day in the coming months,

I'm very excited to see what else is or might be in store for the site wonder what other changes there might be? 🤔

Thank you, based TJ! 

Edit: Also looking forward to seeing what else might be coming up... 👀

Edited by OMGitsKairi

It looks like mass breeders will not be able to shove hundreds of eggs into the AP and block all other eggs any more.

What remains to be see is how long the holiday wall will persist now that there is an avenue to get alternate eggs...

3 hours ago, Arwen17 said:

It's literally the ONLY time of year these eggs can be bred, so they SHOULD fill the AP.

But ... these eggs ARE already bred, and they WILL be bred in future events. There is no change to BREEDING, only to their display. 🤔

3 hours ago, Arwen17 said:

It feels like the happiness of the majority has been sacrificed for the minority.

Who can say who is minority or majority when many players aren't even on the forums (as can be detected when trying to find hub traders in the forum ...)?

Theoretical issues aside, GOSH this extra line is distracting when looking for something in the top 4 rows XD

It'll take me a while to get used to this-- all the non-holiday colors in the bottom row are distracting to me as I look for particular holiday breeds, and due to the way eggs shift up and down with their timestamps, I can't really resize the window to leave the last row off.

Still, I'm always glad to see new things being tried. I didn't mind the holiday wall, but some users were becoming bored by it. I'm in favor of shaking things up to be more interesting for people.

9 hours ago, TJ09 said:

This is exactly the part that is most "wait and see." It's possible the number will lower in the future, but I didn't want to start off by being hyper-aggressive.

I will take this as a start!! Oddly enough, I think I'd somehow thought that this had been floated years ago? At any rate, I don't want to stop people from mass breeding but I am not a fan of walls of eggs, especially when they're so often commons that don't get picked up quickly. This will ensure some more variety and if the commons get low enough they'll just be incu-hatchable, or outright hatchable, which I think encourages people to pick them up. I like this! 

It's definitely going to take time to get used to this regarding holiday-walls, simply because with 4 rows of mostly-pink the eye is automatically drawn to that one row of multi-colors. However I'm so so *so* happy this finally happened! As a long-time player who has completed 'scroll goals' for the majority of holiday breeds, I'm super-excited to not be totally derailed from normal AP hunting for the long holiday walls. And it's not going to negatively affect holiday walls themselves in any way, all holiday eggs bred/tossed will still be shown in the AP, it just might take a tiny bit longer now. (I do see how this affects the ND holiday plans, but that was a very niche user-planned exploit of the wall and not something we should expect TJ to cater to.)

9 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Visible eggs in the abandoned page are now limited to no more than 24 eggs per-abandoner.

Thank you merciful dragon gods. Although that makes me wonder...

Say Person A breeds 30 eggs and abandons them. Only 24 at a time show up in the AP. But Person B has also bred 30 eggs around the same time, as has Person C. Does this mean that the remaining row of eggs will all be from Person B, then C, and so on until the massbred eggs end? Is there a way to ensure that the last row, at least, is a mix of eggs from different users, perhaps bred around the same timeframe?

10 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Similarly, event eggs (like the Valentine's eggs that are currently in play) are simultaneously valuable but also can get in the way of hunting for non-event eggs, and will be limited to 24 visible at a time.

Ah, the other shoe drops. When I was trying it out earlier, I did find the non-holiday row distracting, but I think it's something I could get used to. Ultimately, it's probably a good thing, since I've had regular eggs hatch (from me trying to save them) and then the hatchlings grow up wild behind holiday walls, so if this will help prevent that, I think it will make most players happy.

That said, if the non-holiday eggs are no longer at risk of dying behind walls, would it be possible to extend them for a little longer than usual after the holidays? With so many new dragons now, it can be really difficult and stressful to collect as many as possible before they disappear for another year. But I've also been leaning toward the idea of a separate holiday AP too, and maybe that's a better solution, but for now I think this change is a fair compromise.

Lastly, I feel for everyone who was trying to do the ND massbreed, which might fail now. I totally missed the last one and was hoping to see this one. I don't bother with NDs much myself since I'm more of a breeder, and I was really lucky that a nice person helped me get the one I do have for relatively "cheap", but I would have considered adding a few more to my collection if I could catch any of those. And I'm sure other people who can't conjure up CB rares like the mage in this Valentine's story would have liked the opportunity to get some.

For the most part, this is a welcome change to the AP. Refreshing single-breed AP walls was annoying for me. In the future, I hope the single row of non-holiday eggs show up after the holiday breeding season is over (like how things are this time around).

Edited by obelisk_light

11 hours ago, TJ09 said:

This is exactly the part that is most "wait and see." It's possible the number will lower in the future, but I didn't want to start off by being hyper-aggressive.

Thank you SO much for this improvement to the AP!

It was super frustrating to see endless walls of identical eggs... and (in my experience) they were usually really unappealing ones at that. (Who wants to breed a zillion gray eggs? Where's the benefit in that? I always wondered what that was about...)

This is a great upgrade!

I would just request that if you DO reduce the numbers of same-player abandoned eggs (which would be fine with me), please DON'T reduce the number of Holiday eggs that display. Those are highly desirable, and are available for a limited time only -- and should NOT get more limited when reducing the number of same-player eggs.

Thanks for all your great work in maintaining and improving this great site!

Edited by Shinsei
Fixed a typo

6 hours ago, Arwen17 said:

It's literally the ONLY time of year these eggs can be bred, so they SHOULD fill the AP.

Yes but they are actually bred. I suppose there will be holiday eggs on AP longer now. Untill they are gone. So that way the eggs will still be there. So why should they fill the ENTIRE AP?

6 hours ago, Arwen17 said:

that to me is the better solution than having a distracting row of eggs

Put some tape over it. Problem solved?

Delightful to see! :)

By any chance, could we also see the text on the page be altered?

The whole "human scent will rub off on eggs" thing is false, mostly told to kids to keep them from bothering nesting birds and wildlife.  While this is good, it also tends to lead to the idea that a baby bird found on the ground must be taken to a rehabber or left for the cat or taken inside and hand fed or something similar.

Perhaps it could be changed to some sort of magical lost and found? Or maybe the result of some strange mischievous egg stealers?  Maybe something about how breeding dragons instinctively know how many eggs they can care for and have been dropping eggs off here for time immemorial?   I dunno, but I think the lore we see around the holiday events is really neat and it'd be cool to see it folded into the rest of the site more :)  Adoption page?  ran by a nice mage maybe?

Indeed is the bottom row being distracting during hunts... but I think it's a worthy sacrifice, and will take time getting used to. It's pleasant enough to know that people's ideas and feedback are being heard, and finally implemented. Thanks for the update.

I suspect that because the AP is allowing for divided attention between holiday and normal eggs, holiday walls, being less obtrusive, might stick around for longer. More Sweetling hunting for me!

13 hours ago, Tinibree said:

oh nooo two days away from the nd thing 😧

The what??