Confused Cat

Move holiday x holiday mates to the top of mates list

Long explanation:

I've been wishing for this for a while, and since it came up in "Tiny Little Questions" I decided to officially suggest it.

When a holiday x non-holiday pair is bred for the first time during holidays, the mate will not appear on the top of the mates list next time, because that first breeding didn't "count".

No problem, breed them once outside of the holiday (using fertility to prevent a refusal), and then the mate will be on top of the list.

For holiday x holiday pairs, of course the first breeding doesn't "count" either, and the mate will not appear on top of the list.

However, in this case we can never "fix" it, because they can never breed outside of the holiday season. (Which also means they can never refuse.)

Short suggestion:

When a holiday x holiday pair is bred, add the dragons to the top of each other's mate list, just like a successful non-holiday mate.

(It would be extra nice, but not absolutely necessary, if this were also retroactively applied to holiday x holiday pairs that already have bred in the past.)

Possible problems:

Inexperienced users might be confused when they try to breed the pair outside of holidays. If that's a big problem, there could be a different message instead of the standard refusal message.

Experienced users might accidentally click the holiday mate instead of an alternative non-holiday mate they were meaning to click, and have to wait a week. Which is not a bigger problem than it is for any other misclicks.

I dont breed so many Holiday x Holiday pairings, they are slowly climbing.

I can agree with this.

I mean I am of the belief there needs to be some form of change to the breeding page just because it can be difficult to find a mate! 

But having the Holiday mates stay up would be alright to me, and possibly very helpful to others.

12 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

Inexperienced users might be confused when they try to breed the pair outside of holidays. If that's a big problem, there could be a different message instead of the standard refusal message.

Ha, this would be cool, as long as it doesn’t use a breed up. 

The misclick issue over the hols could be very annoying, but thats the same for any misclick in Holiday breeding. A way to reduce this would be to have a method to ‘forget’ mates, because honestly I think we need this too XD 

Yes, please. Somehow, a bunch of holiday x holiday lineages have crept up on me and now I find myself in need of this feature XD

I have multiple holiday x holiday pairs that I need to keep multiple tabs open to ensure I am breeding the correct pairs together. This would be a great QoL change & cut down on searching through my enormous scroll to find the correct mate.

I would love this! Means less clicking and scroll rummaging to find out who is actually paired with any relevant Val dragon.

It never really made sense to me why they wouldn't register with each other, especially if they already had eggs together. So full support. I don't want to hunt the dang mate every single holiday for who knows how many dragons in the future while referencing my lists for it.

Ha, you beat me to it! Yes please, I have a couple dozen Val x Halloween lines and it's so annoying to have to manually refind each mate.

Yes please! This would also prevent misbreedings where you auto-click the topmost mate, only to realise you just bred you Holiday x Holiday checker to a CB Prize...

Thanks @Confused Cat for starting the thread! Since I was the one who asked the question (and complained about it) in TLQ, this suggestion obviously has my full support.

As I said over there, in contrast to holiday x non-holiday pairings with holiday x holiday one will never have the chance to get that one mate to the top of the list since they will always just be able to breed during their respective holiday season which is definitely an inconvenience since it involves a lot of clicking back and forth or using off-site means, i.e. spreadsheets. (Coupled with the fact that I have hol x hol pairings from before the change that have the information still stored it is just rubbing salt into the wound.)

The problem I do see is that holiday x holiday pairings would need to be treated differently to holiday x non-holiday pairings regarding code/lore/whatever but I don't know how big of a hurdle that actually is.

5 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

Possible problems:

Ideally, I would like to see another paragraph added to the "Breed" section of the help page, where it is mentioned that Holiday dragons can only produce their breed's offspring once a year during their season but then also all of the Holiday breeds would need to be listed.

2 hours ago, Moonlightelf said:

It never really made sense to me why they wouldn't register with each other, especially if they already had eggs together. So full support. I don't want to hunt the dang mate every single holiday for who knows how many dragons in the future while referencing my lists for it.

Apparently, this is more of a "recent" change because previously to Valentine's 2018 the information, including a possible refusal for holiday x non-holiday pairings out of season, was stored. So when people then wanted to breed those pairs out of season they would inevitably get a refusal even with the "new" fertility. By not storing the information of the first breeding if it happened in-season that issue was fixed but thereby creating this issue we're discussing here.

Yes, please! On my phone it's a really long scroll down to the mates.

Support. While I usually don't breed all my holidays anymore, not finding the mates I want instantly would just further discourage me. And possible misclicks can be very unfortunate when you need the other dragon for a different project.

2 hours ago, MiaLily said:

The problem I do see is that holiday x holiday pairings would need to be treated differently to holiday x non-holiday pairings regarding code/lore/whatever but I don't know how big of a hurdle that actually is.

Technically they're already different though, right? They're the only combination that will always refuse off-season but breed normally during the respective holiday. So I don't think treating them differently in terms of coding to make things more convenient for users would be an issue.

another "yes please" here! because of repetitive stress injuries, this sometimes makes the difference between playing during a holiday event and having to skip it. i don't know how i got so many holiday x holiday lines but somehow i did;  all the extra work, which may not seem like a lot for one or two breedings, adds up prohibitively. :3

I don't do too many holiday x holiday pairs, but would find this helpful for those that I do have.

It was also annoying to have to go and hunt down the mates for some of my holiday x non-holiday pairs that have only ever been bred during the holiday season. I assume this would fix that as well. I know that breeding them out of season gets the mate to the head of the line as it is, but I don't always think to breed them out of season if I don't need a non-holiday offspring for lineages.

I honestly don't see why the holiday breedings don't "count" anyway. Obviously they're guaranteed not to refuse, but...so what? How many people would specifically wait with their holiday pairs to breed for the first time in-season just to avoid refusals without using fertility? 

If it's possible to code things so mates (holiday and non-holiday) show up at the top regardless of when they were bred, that would be great. But if it's tied in with the "true" first breeding and therefore off-season chance of refusal, I would say just do away with the distinction altogether and make in-season breeding count as a regular first breeding. 

41 minutes ago, MissK. said:

I honestly don't see why the holiday breedings don't "count" anyway. Obviously they're guaranteed not to refuse, but...so what? How many people would specifically wait with their holiday pairs to breed for the first time in-season just to avoid refusals without using fertility? 

But you don't really avoid refusals that way. The first out-of-season breeding can *still* refuse if you don't use Fertility (or if you're going with Turpentines, of course.)

42 minutes ago, MissK. said:

If it's possible to code things so mates (holiday and non-holiday) show up at the top regardless of when they were bred, that would be great. But if it's tied in with the "true" first breeding and therefore off-season chance of refusal, I would say just do away with the distinction altogether and make in-season breeding count as a regular first breeding

The problem was that it used to count as their first one, including the compatibility check that would set the "No no never" flag for the pair.

Apparently that is all tied together, behind the scenes.

56 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It was also annoying to have to go and hunt down the mates for some of my holiday x non-holiday pairs that have only ever been bred during the holiday season. I assume this would fix that as well.

No - the behaviour of holiday x non-holiday pairs should NOT be changed.

We need to be able to see that a pair has never bred outside of the holiday season so we remember to use fertility for their "real first breeding".

If the pair looks as if that had already happened, i.e. as if they were a successful, non-refusing pair, we might just happily click that "breed" button and get a very sad surprise.

44 minutes ago, MissK. said:

How many people would specifically wait with their holiday pairs to breed for the first time in-season just to avoid refusals without using fertility?

I don't think it's done intentionally, rather in "eek, this Halloween dragon needs a mate, and Halloween is surprisingly early this year!" situations when the mate grows up just a few days before the holiday season.

12 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

But you don't really avoid refusals that way. The first out-of-season breeding can *still* refuse if you don't use Fertility (or if you're going with Turpentines, of course.)

The problem was that it used to count as their first one, including the compatibility check that would set the "No no never" flag for the pair.

Apparently that is all tied together, behind the scenes.

That's exactly what I mean, what is the problem if it counts as the first one? They'll never refuse, so what? It hardly matters in the grand scheme of things if some dragons that are bred to holidays during the respective holiday get a free pass on refusals, most breedings will still be unaffected. Right now they can still refuse out-of-season; I'm just saying in my opinion that is unnecessary, and I would rather see that changed if it means we get all mates showing up on top.

2 minutes ago, MissK. said:

That's exactly what I mean, what is the problem if it counts as the first one?

That it already sets the frigging compatibility flag without you having any control over it?

I don't think I am explaining it properly then. Right now, no holiday pairs will refuse during holiday breedings, however this breeding does not "count" as their first one and so they can still refuse out-of-season. So...would it be possible to just have holiday breedings count as the first breeding? As in, there is no chance of refusal, the pair "remembers" each other (mates showing up on top), and they can't refuse off season.

Obviously if it's easy to just code holiday mates to show on top and keep everything else the same, that also works for the purposes of this suggestion. I was just saying that if it is necessarily tied to the first breeding system, I don't see the harm in changing it entirely.

Edited for typo.

Edited by MissK.

Holiday x non-holiday is only set never to refuse in season. I don't see TJ deciding that that means they will never refuse.

Unless you want them to be ABLE to refuse in season - in which case - no support whatsoever. The present situation is a great help to holiday lines and I suspect was put in for that reason.

I understand what you're saying MissK. That would be an even better outcome, really, but if it's considered an "exploit" then it should still be easy enough to just mark holiday x holiday as a special case. The game already registers that they have different breeding windows.

Support! My brain memory is not good, I rely on muscle memory for playing DC. I wrecked a few proven holiday x holiday breedings last year and one this year as their mates are not at the top unlike all my other dragon pairings. If two dragons successfully breed they should be listed as known proven mates in the breeding page, please don't make me go hunting for them every season. :c

I swear they used to "remember" each other before. Or am I the forgetful one now?

I support this, but I also want a way to find mates for all dragons to breed with much more quickly and easily. We have a search function for Fertility, why not for breeding too?

56 minutes ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

I swear they used to "remember" each other before. Or am I the forgetful one now?

See the post I linked to further above. It was changed in 2018.