TJ09

2021-02-14 - Happy Valentine's Day!

I've never seen or been around for a hatchie wall, this is wild! I managed to catch some of the not-new Holidays and tossed back ones I didn't need/love so that others could grab them. I hope everyone who's online right now gets whichever hatchies they're hoping for!

Looks like wall is ending very soon - if you're missing this year's new dragon, the AP's running out any minute now.

Edited by Ripan

Last baby ❤️

Spoiler

Vd2021-lasthatchie.png.f2e39a489bbb52be4746d7fdabacf06a.png

Tysm TJ and spriters for a beautiful event and beautiful new dragon ❤️

Edited by Kiwiana

For the first time in forever, I saw the hatchling wall XD

Thanks to all the spriters and TJ for this lovely DC Valentines! And thanks for the wonderful event :)

...and another event comes to an end. Thank you to everyone involved, really enjoyed the stories.

7 hours ago, MoonShark said:

Now that the full list of stories are released, I can post this! :D  The following are the stories I wrote, with a few notes on each. I'm happy to answer questions as well, and it's been a lot of fun seeing folks enjoy the event over the past week! :D

Reveal hidden contents

A Bouquet of Choices - The purpose of this story was to be a short, simple tutorial to help guide players through the spellcasting interface. I chose Equinox as the breed because they're a pretty dragon as well as a recent release. The "fail" option of Make Atrocious was inspired by Rafflesia arnoldii, the largest individual flower in our own world.

Three Heads Are Sometimes Better Than Two - In the interest of having variety among the stories, I chose several two-head and pygmy breeds to work with. Geminae were selected for this one because of their powerful psychic abilities. Also, the spell Make Atrocious is actually useful this time! I enjoyed finding ways to make some of the "negative" spells have uses.

Seeing in Black and White - I wanted to write a story featuring a Nebula because someone close to me loves that breed. While looking through their lore to be sure I did them justice, I rediscovered the information of colorblind Nebula Dragons. From that small note came this story.

Time Waits for Some - Chrono Xenowyrms were my original favorite of the xenowyrms, and Obidar are the favorite of a friend of mine. As a sibling myself, I wanted to focus a little on familial love and concern in this story. The quaking aspen mentioned in one of the "good" endings is in fact one of my favorite trees.

Seeking Love - Representation is important to me for personal reasons, and I also love Neglecteds (over 150 experiments done, to date), so writing this story was very rewarding. It's my favorite of all the ones I wrote. Everyone deserves a chance to find love.

The Bane of Magic - How does a mage help someone who negates magic? That question inspired this story about a Cassare in need of a little help with romance. One of his romantic interests was named for my grandmother who passed away when I was very young, and the blue roses in one of the "good" endings were inspired by my own love for the impossible blue rose (at least magic allows for their existence!)

The Cracked Shield - Anyone who knows me well knows that I adore Guardian Dragons. This story focuses on the protective love a Guardian feels for his charges rather than romantic love, though there's a few hints in a couple of the "good" endings that romance might be in his future. I gave him the name (mentioned in a "good" ending) of my grandfather, who passed away on New Year's Eve 2020 and who always showed so much love and care for everyone he met.

A Lost Gift - Aidriyan and the mage are so much fun to write together, and I had an absolute ball borrowing her character to write this story about a rather energetic little Misfit. (Also, yes, Aidriyan's accusation in one of the "fail" endings is totally true... I really did want chocolate while writing this.)

For the Love of Bubbles - Sapos are the first dragon that really challenged Guardians for my number-one spot (I have a fondness for pretty, shimmering bubbles), so of course I wrote a story about one! It made a lot of sense for her friend to be a Lumina (since they're so picky about cleanliness). I also struggle with sensitivity to soaps (hence soapwort being a solution!)...and I'd love an animated rag that would clean for me, haha. This was a really fun story to write.

Sorely They Jest - I LOVE puns. And since we have Jester Dragons now, I couldn't resist writing this story. There was much laughter involved (and far too many bad puns, but I have no regrets).

A Small Fear - I adore Glowbacks and Magelights. They're so pretty and cute! I wanted to write a story focused on pygmies, so they were a natural choice. I also struggle with tight places, especially underground, so it was easy to channel that fear into the poor little Glowback in need of help.

Shy but Certain - Xols are another favorite of mine, and Pyrovar deserve more love with their bright colors and dynamic pose...not to mention they worked together so perfectly for this story! Her shyness was inspired by my own; talking to new people is so difficult, and there are definitely times where I wish I could be invisible so I don't have to worry about whether I'm fidgeting or making odd facial expressions.

A Fluttering Heart - Unrequited love is something a lot of people have dealt with or are dealing with right now. I've been through situations like that myself in the past, and it hurts. A lot. I chose Black Tea for this story because I love them and because I have 2G one named Drink of Heartbreak, who originally inspired me to write this story.

A Surplus of Suitors - An astute reader might make a connection between this Lumina and the one mentioned in For the Love of Bubbles; they are indeed sisters. When I wrote the latter story, I decided it would be fun to revisit it tangentially in a more romantically-themed story.

Thank you! :)

I had hoped a Zombie Dragon would visit the shop...

Maybe he forgot who/what he was but has fallen in love with a living one who regulary visits the Graveyard...

Would be an amazing reason for Death, Resurrection, maybe Make Delicious and even Transform, Invisibility, Prognition or a Perception spell

Plottwist:

Spoiler

The Living Dragon is visiting her beloved ones grave and its the Zombie Dragon acually!

4 hours ago, lovecats99 said:

Surely i'm not the only one who gets the reference to the very last story? XD

I don't think I did, what did you notice? 🙂

4 minutes ago, tjekan said:

I don't think I did, what did you notice? 🙂

I think the wiki explains it best, but essentially, in 2011, a glitch occurred when a wild Stone dragon and Common Pygmy managed to breed and produce an egg:

There was once a Stone egg that resulted from the breeding of a wild Stone and wild Common Pygmy, having been laid on May 16, 2011. It gained no views or clicks and never hatched or died. This glitch egg has since been removed by TJ09.

https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Stone_Dragon

Edited by lovecats99

Reading the first solution for the cleaning story I could't but think of The Sorcerer's Apprentice In Fantasia Disney movie 😂

Absolutely loved all the stories. It was fun trying to figure out which spells might help them. I didn't always agree with the writers. XD

@lovecats99 I don't think I ever heard of that wild breeding. Interesting.

Reminds me of the Split and the Dorkface that managed to breed. I have some Splits descended from that pair. You can't tell from the lineage, though, because TJ "killed" the mother by removing her from the lineage and replacing her with a tombstone. (He did not, in fact, kill the actual dragon. She still exists on the owner's scroll.)

Edited by purplehaze

I enjoyed the stories :wub: But I thought there was foreshadowing of a Valentine's match between our mage and their friend Aidriyan. Perhaps I was just reading into it what I wanted to see.

I think a Mage x Aidriyan pairing is open to personal interpretation? Only because not every player even wants a [romantic] Valentine's pairing. (I'm one; I think platonic relationships need more time in the limelight, too.) So it'd be pretty cool if there is ambiguity that allows for the interpretation of a homosexual couple, heterosexual couple, bisexual or pansexual pairing, platonic pairing, etc. 

Edited by ValidEmotions

28 minutes ago, ValidEmotions said:

I think a Mage x Aidriyan pairing is open to personal interpretation? Only because not every player even wants a [romantic] Valentine's pairing. (I'm one; I think platonic relationships need more time in the limelight, too.) So it'd be pretty cool if there is ambiguity that allows for the interpretation of a homosexual couple, heterosexual couple, bisexual or pansexual pairing, platonic pairing, etc. 

My thoughts exactly!

On a related note, I would've been nice if there was more variety in the relationships mentioned in stories - more non-heterosexual pairings, for example. Or maybe more solutions in the "why not both" vein. 🙂 Also, dragons referring to each other as "males" or "females" sounded a bit weird, IMHO.

I do appreciate the inclusion of a Neglected dragon, though! 
And overall I loved the stories, and the event was awesome! The DC crew always comes up with amazing stuff, and I love that whatever happens in my life or with the world, I can at least always count on something wholesome when a DC event is live.

Loved the stories. But now I want to know if the dragons were indeed happy with the spells and had a nice valentine. :P  (And I want to know how the little storm hatchling is doing.)

I guess I should follow MoonShark's example and say a li'l something about the stories I created for the event:

Spoiler

Thunderbolts and Lightning: Honestly, I just wanted to do something where it was a child doing something nice for their parents for Valentines. Since I've noticed a lot of the other stories were adults and peers interacting with one another, I wanted to do a dragony equivalent to 'macaroni art'. Also, I wanted to have some stories where the spells required were the more 'crass' ones.

A Sore Spot: The story idea was given to me by Shark, and I just kinda went from there. I pulled from personal sore-throat experience (of which I have plenty), and ended up putting a little bit of Fluttershy's personality in the Aria.

Braving the Storm: This story was almost solely driven by the fact that much of the other stories didn't have the more volatile spells as their solutions. Also who doesn't love bad boys and girls? 

13 hours ago, MoonShark said:

Now that the full list of stories are released, I can post this! :D  The following are the stories I wrote, with a few notes on each. I'm happy to answer questions as well, and it's been a lot of fun seeing folks enjoy the event over the past week! :D

Hide contents

A Bouquet of Choices - The purpose of this story was to be a short, simple tutorial to help guide players through the spellcasting interface. I chose Equinox as the breed because they're a pretty dragon as well as a recent release. The "fail" option of Make Atrocious was inspired by Rafflesia arnoldii, the largest individual flower in our own world.

Three Heads Are Sometimes Better Than Two - In the interest of having variety among the stories, I chose several two-head and pygmy breeds to work with. Geminae were selected for this one because of their powerful psychic abilities. Also, the spell Make Atrocious is actually useful this time! I enjoyed finding ways to make some of the "negative" spells have uses.

Seeing in Black and White - I wanted to write a story featuring a Nebula because someone close to me loves that breed. While looking through their lore to be sure I did them justice, I rediscovered the information of colorblind Nebula Dragons. From that small note came this story.

Time Waits for Some - Chrono Xenowyrms were my original favorite of the xenowyrms, and Obidar are the favorite of a friend of mine. As a sibling myself, I wanted to focus a little on familial love and concern in this story. The quaking aspen mentioned in one of the "good" endings is in fact one of my favorite trees.

Seeking Love - Representation is important to me for personal reasons, and I also love Neglecteds (over 150 experiments done, to date), so writing this story was very rewarding. It's my favorite of all the ones I wrote. Everyone deserves a chance to find love.

The Bane of Magic - How does a mage help someone who negates magic? That question inspired this story about a Cassare in need of a little help with romance. One of his romantic interests was named for my grandmother who passed away when I was very young, and the blue roses in one of the "good" endings were inspired by my own love for the impossible blue rose (at least magic allows for their existence!)

The Cracked Shield - Anyone who knows me well knows that I adore Guardian Dragons. This story focuses on the protective love a Guardian feels for his charges rather than romantic love, though there's a few hints in a couple of the "good" endings that romance might be in his future. I gave him the name (mentioned in a "good" ending) of my grandfather, who passed away on New Year's Eve 2020 and who always showed so much love and care for everyone he met.

A Lost Gift - Aidriyan and the mage are so much fun to write together, and I had an absolute ball borrowing her character to write this story about a rather energetic little Misfit. (Also, yes, Aidriyan's accusation in one of the "fail" endings is totally true... I really did want chocolate while writing this.)

For the Love of Bubbles - Sapos are the first dragon that really challenged Guardians for my number-one spot (I have a fondness for pretty, shimmering bubbles), so of course I wrote a story about one! It made a lot of sense for her friend to be a Lumina (since they're so picky about cleanliness). I also struggle with sensitivity to soaps (hence soapwort being a solution!)...and I'd love an animated rag that would clean for me, haha. This was a really fun story to write.

Sorely They Jest - I LOVE puns. And since we have Jester Dragons now, I couldn't resist writing this story. There was much laughter involved (and far too many bad puns, but I have no regrets).

A Small Fear - I adore Glowbacks and Magelights. They're so pretty and cute! I wanted to write a story focused on pygmies, so they were a natural choice. I also struggle with tight places, especially underground, so it was easy to channel that fear into the poor little Glowback in need of help.

Shy but Certain - Xols are another favorite of mine, and Pyrovar deserve more love with their bright colors and dynamic pose...not to mention they worked together so perfectly for this story! Her shyness was inspired by my own; talking to new people is so difficult, and there are definitely times where I wish I could be invisible so I don't have to worry about whether I'm fidgeting or making odd facial expressions.

A Fluttering Heart - Unrequited love is something a lot of people have dealt with or are dealing with right now. I've been through situations like that myself in the past, and it hurts. A lot. I chose Black Tea for this story because I love them and because I have 2G one named Drink of Heartbreak, who originally inspired me to write this story.

A Surplus of Suitors - An astute reader might make a connection between this Lumina and the one mentioned in For the Love of Bubbles; they are indeed sisters. When I wrote the latter story, I decided it would be fun to revisit it tangentially in a more romantically-themed story.

Thank so much for all the lovely stories! They really were grand!

Thunderbolts and Lightning broke my heart.

I loved all the Jesters puns. 

And all the bad endings for For the Love of Bubbles were hilarious. I think I got nearly all those on my own. 

I'm still kinda sad I never got to use Banish, Turn to Frog, or Fireball unironically. 

Using Zap made me laugh tough

And a slight spoiler:

Spoiler

And honeslty, a lot of these dragons should have been seeing psychiatrists / psychologists from the get go, but it literally took until the end of the event for it to happen. 

Thank you, MoonShark and everyone else involved in this event! I really enjoyed it!

hope everyone had a lovely valentines. loved the event and these new dragons will def be my fave of all the vday dragons! 😍

Does anyone have a picture of the Spellboard when you don't have any spells?

Thank you for the fun Valentine's event! I feel like someone cast HEAL ZAP and FIREBALL on me - simultaneously 😊

39 minutes ago, LostFate said:

Loved the stories. But now I want to know if the dragons were indeed happy with the spells and had a nice valentine. :P  (And I want to know how the little storm hatchling is doing.)

I haven't finished the very last story, but yes! I would've loved a little 'epilogue' where the mage sees all the dragons they interacted with earlier and finds out how things went. 

Braving the Storm:

Spoiler

Using 'zap' is just the best! I love it! 

@Shokomon My screenshot has a little overlap with a story screenshot, but is this the kind of thing you mean?

Spoiler

Untitled.png.ae18712c4afad23ca7198e080e1dae8d.png

7 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I haven't finished the very last story, but yes! I would've loved a little 'epilogue' where the mage sees all the dragons they interacted with earlier and finds out how things went. 

Braving the Storm:

Hide contents

Using 'zap' is just the best! I love it! 

@Shokomon My screenshot has a little overlap with a story screenshot, but is this the kind of thing you mean?

Hide contents

Untitled.png.ae18712c4afad23ca7198e080e1dae8d.png

That will work! Thank you!

Though if anyone has an image of the full thing, that would be great.

@Shokomon I dug around in my history and found the original screenshot without the overlap (why yes, I have no life and nothing better to do, lol)

Spoiler

Untitled2.png.2b31762b463313803b1e598d2344e28f.png

4 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

@Shokomon I dug around in my history and found the original screenshot without the overlap (why yes, I have no life and nothing better to do, lol)

Hide contents

Untitled2.png.2b31762b463313803b1e598d2344e28f.png

Thank you! Thank you!

I was looking for it because I made compilation document for the whole story! 

I'm still ironing out the kinks, but that was one of the last things I needed!