Confused Cat

DC photography contest #182

Which is your favorite "danger" photo?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite "danger" photo?

• sh20000sh's danger line
    • Fuzzbucket's danger noodle warning
    • Ruby Eyes' dangerously deep canyon
    • Lagie's neighbours' dangerous trash fire
    • GhostMouse's dangerous bird fight

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/26/2021 at 10:59 PM

Welcome to the Photography Contest!

Welcome back for another round of the DC Photography contest, come and show us what you've got! 

This time, the theme is: Danger

Submission deadline: February 21

Voting deadline: February 26

Rules:

- One entry per person.

- A photograph is defined as an image made using a camera or phone camera

- Screenshots are not allowed

- Picture has to be made by yourself and can't be just a reproduction of someone's work. If someone else's work is in the picture, there needs to be something extra.

- No manipulation besides basic photo adjustments (contrast, exposure, cropping, color balance, lighting, etc.).

- No text or framing in the photo. A signature/watermark is just fine, but it's preferable if you don't have "O Hai Eye Hav3 T3XT" (or something similar) present in the photo.

- When voting, please don't select your own image. This will ensure fairness.

- You are free to submit an old photo; you don't need to take a new one just for this competition.

- Winner hosts the next contest.

Previous themes:

1: Beginning anew / 2: Simplicity / 3: Summer / 4: Wildlife / 5: Black & White / 6: Food / 7: Macro / 8: Farewell / 9: Light and Shadow / 10: Urban

11: In the home / 12: Travel Photography / 13: Pets / 14: Red / 15: Coupled Animals / 16: Clouds / 17: Green / 18: Water / 19: Scenic views / 20: Invertebrates

21: Sunrise/Sunset / 22: Purple / 23: Out of Context / 24: Snow / 25: Flowers / 26: Mountains / 27: Old / 28: Birds / 29: Inanimate Objects / 30: New Life

31: Play / 32: Road / 33: Leaves / 34: People / 35. Books / 36. Statues / 37. Nighttime / 38. Candy / 39: Fruits / 40: Reflection

41: Transportation / 42: Trees / 43: Happiness / 44: Communication / 45: Youth / 46: Colors / 47: New Year / 48: Music / 49: Contrast / 50: Pink

51: Spring / 52: The first letter of your username / 53: Party! / 54. White / 55. Weather / 56: Buildings / 57: Union / 58: Doors, gates and windows / 59: Texture / 60: Pairs

61: Your Favorite / 62: Mushrooms / 63: Happy holidays / 64: Treasure / 65: Bells / 66: Warmth / 67: Blue / 68: Center / 69: Zoo / 70: Memories

71: Chitin / 72: Garden / 73: Silhouette / 74: Darkness / 75: W / 76: Small / 77: Silly / 78: Toys / 79: Three / 80: Autumn

81: Yellow / 82: Macro / 83. Horizon / 84. Winter/Christmas / 85: Skies / 86: Baked Goods / 87: Your Home town / 88: Abandoned places / 89: F / 90: Fears

91: Adventure / 92: Detail / 93: Illumination / 94: Color Orange / 95: Black and white / 96: Abstract / 97: Unnoticed / 98: Fire / 99: History / 100: Bridges

101: Wild animal close ups / 102: Street Lights / 103: Hobby / 104: Three / 105: Eyes / 106: Unappreciated / 107: Desk / 108: Opposites / 109: Mechanical Parts / 110: Monuments

111: The bond / 112: Action / 113: Up / 114: Spooky / 115: Self / 116: Extreme Weather / 117: Patterns / 118: Down / 119: Ground / 120: Brown

121: Softness / 122: C / 123: Summer / 124: Flowers / 125: Gathering / 126. Living Room / 127. v1 Crystal/Gemstone / 127. v2 Nostalgia / 128: Mammals / 129: Sea and Lake / 130: Birthday Cake

131: Aquatic Creatures / 132: Sunshine and Summertime / 133: Close-up Photography / 134: Rainbows / 135: Circles / 136: Coffee / 137: Storm / 138: Halloween / 139: Something You See in Everyday Things / 140: Celebrate!

141: Signs of Affection / 142: Most recent photo / 143: Easter / 144: Pastels / 145: Wings / 146: Hope / 147: Text / 148: Home / 149: Winter / 150: Vacation

151: Insects / 152: Botanical / 153: Carvings / 154: Crafting / 155: Glass / 156: Coniferous / 157: Wind / 158: Classic / 159: Games / 160: Procrastination

161: In Motion / 162: Music / 163: Empty / 164: Still Life / 165: Night / 166: Liquids / 167: Historical/Heritage Sites / 168. Ice / 169. Sentimental / 170. Resolutions

171. Aftermath / 172. Isolation / 173. Pets / 174. Caring / 175. Hobbies / 176. Comfort / 177. Sports / 178. Handwriting / 179. Knots / 180. Traditions

181. Masks / 182. Danger

Edited by Confused Cat

On the Coast Road in Australia

Spoiler

DSCF0269.thumb.JPG.49ed75f0a7371ebb4000959569789f33.JPG

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

On the Coast Road in Australia

Hide contents

DSCF0269.thumb.JPG.49ed75f0a7371ebb4000959569789f33.JPG

This is my entire state.

I keep thinking about my handyman neighbor, but there's no way to get the full context of the stuff he does in one photo. And he's working a regular scheduled job right now.

The last 5 have all been about 3 weeks (one 3 was 3 1/2) -  including the one you set ! I think 2 would be much too short.

I remember the one I set was 1.5 weeks. I actually think single week is enough for everyone noticing subject. Maybe another three or for days for looking for their album.

I can't tell you how much I disagree. :) I'd have thought it was more interesting to have many participants - and people don't spend 24/7 looking at threads here. 

But yes - I do see you set yours very late in the month. Sorry.

What I saw was most of entry was submitted at last few days regardless how long deadline was.

And I still think seven days is enough even if people don't spend 24/7 looking at threads here as most people's schedule has one week period in usual.

Edited by sh20000sh

I think that would very much limit the number of entries and mean the same people setting it endlessly. It's very limited as it is.

I don't have a schedule. I wonder how many here actually do - especially at the moment. And I wonder how many here are into "everything just happen FAST." This idea goes along with the "need" to be able to incubate hatchlings, cut CD times and the rest.

Anyway - back to planning my val lines ready for tomorrow....

Back to the topic at hands?

You cannot believe how scared I was when standing there at the edge of the canyon and taking this picture.

Spoiler

dangerzyjgh.png

Wow - where is that - it looks like that place I forget where it is, where there are loads of vultures...

Though it is illegal here, the neighbours out the back (the ones with the barking dog, the insomniac rooster, and now almost-incessant generator) for a while were burning their trash, leading to the very real danger of widespread fire.

Actual entry:

Screenshot_20210207-150128.thumb.jpg.da39c97e7843c40ac615b686f45cad6c.jpg

Not my entry, but shows the extent of the flames better:

Screenshot_20210207-150743.thumb.jpg.f79fd929cf992e95855121c83d5a6a8a.jpg

Another neighbour spoke to them about it so they seem, thankfully, to have stopped doing this.

I like to leave a couple weeks for people to have the option of taking new pictures. And I like the relaxed pace it sets, and the possibility of more entries. I think it's more fun to see a variety of submissions.

Anyway, here's my entry:

Red-tailed hawks. The adult (left) is chasing the juvenile out of its territory.

Spoiler

IMG_2913.jpg

Edited by GhostMouse

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Wow - where is that - it looks like that place I forget where it is, where there are loads of vultures...

My neighborhood? We get a visiting winter flock of migrating vultures.

@Lagie  The first one definitely says 'danger.' 

@GhostMouse  That's an awesome photo.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

13 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I didn't see any vultures when I was there, actually. Grand Canyon, south rim, if I recall correctly.

Somewhere around Flagstaff is a junction where you can see two signs pointing in opposite directions, both of them going to "Grand Canyon" XD Wish I had been able to take a picture of that one, but that's a bit difficult when you're driving in that moment.

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I didn't see any vultures when I was there, actually. Grand Canyon, south rim, if I recall correctly.

Somewhere around Flagstaff is a junction where you can see two signs pointing in opposite directions, both of them going to "Grand Canyon" XD Wish I had been able to take a picture of that one, but that's a bit difficult when you're driving in that moment.

Oh. I am talking Spain. Though I thought it was in the South of France and my beloved and I are now trawling our photos to try and remember. (And to prove the other wrong :lol: )

10 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

I like to leave a couple weeks for people to have the option of taking new pictures. And I like the relaxed pace it sets, and the possibility of more entries. I think it's more fun to see a variety of submissions.

I hadn't even thought about having the time to take new photos, but that is a very good point.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

15 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

100% agreed. :)  Although it makes the voting harder! XD

More fun than having to choose between two or three.

But 'three week is still unnecessarily long' is my still opinion. I saw recent dozens of contests, ones of three weeks doesn't have certainly more submission than ones with two weeks.

OK. But everyone doesn't have to agree; patience is a virtue, and we all live far too fast these days.

Reminder that today is the submission deadline.

(I should be able to add the poll in ~24 hours from now.)

The poll is open!

Does anybody know if the "automatically close poll" option would use Cave Time or my local time?

Thanks - I hope this will do what it's supposed to do: "Poll closes on 02/26/2021 at 11:59 PM"