TJ09

2021-01-24 - January Dragon Release

19 minutes ago, miaou said:

i think i'm following along for the most part, but i'm also getting a little overwhelmed by all the info and theories. :3

so please forgive me if this has been answered, but does influence definitely affect the eggs? for example, if you influence an egg you received by teleport, does it switch position on your scroll? or might it be possible to use influence on teleported eggs and still get the orange variant?

At the moment, the theory is that the LAST BSA used on the egg determines the color:

Pink = default [or ward/influence used]

Black/Red = Incubated

Blue = Precog'd

Orange = Teleport

So if you pick up an egg from the cave and only precog it > it will be blue

If you get an egg via teleport, then precog it, then incubate it > it will be black

Not 100% sure if influencing 'resets' the egg back to default...I think someone tested this...I'll see if I can't find the relevant post .

Edit: This post (and a few above/below it) speak of the egg 'not moving' after being influenced [as it seems they only move after being Precog'd/incubated]

https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/188330-2021-01-24-january-dragon-release/?do=findComment&comment=10021118

Edited by ShorahNagi
Added link

It's still a lot of trouble to go to if you want all the colors.

I now apparently have two orange ones because they were trades and I have done nothing to them since they arrived on my scroll. I would really like to precog or influence them, but if I do they won't stay orange? But I need them to be a pair! Or is @ShorahNagi right that influence doesn't reset them? If that is true then I could just influence and they would stay orange.

No, I am not liking this. It is an interesting new dynamic, but not one that I find favorable. Maybe once we have all the unknowns answered it will be less difficult to plan out all the moves in advance..

2 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

At the moment, the theory is that the LAST BSA used on the egg determines the color:

Pink = default [or ward/influence used]

Black/Red = Incubated

Blue = Precog'd

Orange = Teleport

So if you pick up an egg from the cave and only precog it > it will be blue

If you get an egg via teleport, then precog it, then incubate it > it will be black

Not 100% sure if influencing 'resets' the egg back to default...I think someone tested this...I'll see if I can't find the relevant post

i think i might have edited my post after you started to reply, so to clarify: i was only asking specifically about influence. because there has to be a variant you can get with no bsa. so my thinking was that influence didn't make an egg hatch pink but rather that pink is the version you get with no bsa. maybe i just want it to be so because having to teleport eggs and hope for gender will make doing lineages with the orange variant prohibitive. :3

i feel like people are making this more complicated then it needs to be. if you have to jump through hoops for each color then thats a bit much for a mini collecting game.

it would make most sense that colors come from their biome with 1 color possibly being from incubating. as that was a new mechanic and would make sense to add more under it.

12 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It's still a lot of trouble to go to if you want all the colors.

I now apparently have two orange ones because they were trades and I have done nothing to them since they arrived on my scroll. I would really like to precog or influence them, but if I do they won't stay orange? But I need them to be a pair! Or is @ShorahNagi right that influence doesn't reset them? If that is true then I could just influence and they would stay orange.

i don't think influence affects the variant/color (my reasoning offered above), but if ShorahNagi finds the post where someone reported testing influence on a teleported egg, that might throw my idea out the window. :3

Edited by miaou

11 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

No, I am not liking this. It is an interesting new dynamic, but not one that I find favorable. Maybe once we have all the unknowns answered it will be less difficult to plan out all the moves in advance..

Quite frankly we're lucky Earthquake became a fad and gave us early info at all. If we hatched them normally, everyone would probably have reds or pinks and it'd take several more days to even begin figuring out mechanics. 

8 minutes ago, reddof-f6 said:

i feel like people are making this more complicated then it needs to be. if you have to jump through hoops for each color then thats a bit much for a mini collecting game.

it would make most sense that colors come from their biome with 1 color possibly being from incubating. as that was a new mechanic and would make sense to add more under it.

Based on how the hatchies acted last night, that is definitely not how it works. We got two dark reds from coast and jungle (incubated), and two pinks from volcano and jungle (not incubated). There's no way they can be biome related unless TJ changed it massively.

We can't say anything for sure we're just going off what we saw happen. I agree that pink is probably the base color, and its possible that influence does nothing, or it turns it back pink after an incubate. That we just don't know. We can't know anything for sure until they start hatching in mass.

It's not biome because we had pinks from two biomes. Jungle and volcano iirc. Reds from coast and volcano, incubated.

The pinks in two biomes is why we started freaking out to begin with, and then one turned blue, and another turned orange, and it was chaos for like 3 hours. Then I woke up today and realized forums didn't know so thought it'd be nice to give a heads up. You can believe it or not. Maybe the hatchie change was a complete bug, maybe they're just rng.

Edited by Tinibree

I don't know if we have enough data yet to rule out rng. I agree with @reddof-f6  the theory is interesting but seems too complicated. 

3 minutes ago, Chaosdawn said:

I don't know if we have enough data yet to rule out rng. I agree with @reddof-f6  the theory is interesting but seems too complicated. 

Last night, the hatchies changed specific colors when we used specific BSAs on them. That is, imo, very solid evidence that BSAs are supposed to affect the breed.

Edited by Shadowdrake

2 minutes ago, Chaosdawn said:

When we got pinks from two biomes I thought the book was closed, it was just rng. But then the hatchies started changing colors, and BSAs have been shifting egg locations to the same spots. It could be rng and just weird sorting stuff, but there's no reason not to do the bsa set up anyway, just in case.

3 minutes ago, Chaosdawn said:

add me on this list.  it's too much work to sort this all out.

We should start to see mass hatchies in a few hours around midnight cave time and people will probably be able to share more info to better develop these theories. Hopefully what happened on discord did not inspire TJ to do some snow angel-like revisions to the mechanics.

I finally got 4 myself. I was lead to believe the shells would change color. Not stay white. I influenced one male, one female, precog one and incubated another. And all the shells were still white. If it's going to take this much work then I think the shells should also change to show what BSA you used. Not having to wait until it hatches to see which ones did what. 

WB

8 minutes ago, trystan said:

add me on this list.  it's too much work to sort this all out.

"You can trust me on this." (Pete Tyler) 👍

Experiment in progress. 

Just so everyone knows, there were eggs hatched using Earthquake. This isn't just wild theorizing, the BSA stuff is what actually happened with the eggs that were hatched. XD

1 minute ago, Paintra said:

Just so everyone knows, there were eggs hatched using Earthquake. This isn't just wild theorizing, the BSA stuff is what actually happened with the eggs that were hatched. XD

what if earthquake did something. like you got the colors but it shuffled them around. <-<

Spoiler

JK i know prob not. XD but that'd be a wild action result.

Wait, doesn't this just mean that the colors might be set by the color of the dragon used last?

Theory:

Incubate / red and black Red = red and black hatchling

Precog / red Aeon (with blue highlights) = red and blue hatchling

Teleport / orange Magi ( ? eye color, maybe blue) = orange and blue hatchling

Influence / pink Pink = pink hatchling (maybe default?)

Though this would mean that earthquake, etc wouldn't change anything since none of the hatchlings are the right colors for it (maybe a future release?)

If pink is the default and influence doesn't reset it to pink, there's no way to trade for pinks... which would be suboptimal for those who breed with specific colors

To clarify, I'm not saying that influencing them doesn't make them pink, just speculating that if that were the case it would be pretty hard for breeders who use colors in their lineages as they would have to catch all the eggs themselves

25 minutes ago, Diggie said:

If pink is the default and influence doesn't reset it to pink, there's no way to trade for pinks... which would be suboptimal for those who breed with specific colors

To clarify, I'm not saying that influencing them doesn't make them pink, just speculating that if that were the case it would be pretty hard for breeders who use colors in their lineages as they would have to catch all the eggs themselves

It will be difficult to trade for any color if teleport turns them orange.

Welp, if its bsa based then i should have a pair of everything but orange

Edited by DragonLady86

Aw, I was looking forward to potentially hoarding the orange guys :( they're so pretty...
Well this is definitely one of the most interesting releases out there. Fantastic ideas, at least!

1 hour ago, Wolfs_Bane said:

If it's going to take this much work then I think the shells should also change to show what BSA you used. Not having to wait until it hatches to see which ones did what.

While this seems to not be the intention (all of the eggs on the news post definitely stayed white too), I agree that this could come in handy, that the eggs' designs have some visual indication of their current hatching color. The main contention with this is that such artwork edits/additions require extra work from the spriters' end, and their willingness or decision to do so is certainly not our call to make. Regardless, it could make things less tedious and unpredictable for folks like me who have a hard time keeping track of things in general, let alone what magicstuffs I did to a pixel egg.

As soon as we know the details for sure, it should be easy enough to keep track of in our action logs. I agree the egg changing after using a BSA would be helpful, but it shouldn't be too much work to just check our action logs to see what we did to each egg, especially if all that matters is the *last* action we did.

35 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

It will be difficult to trade for any color if teleport turns them orange.

Welp, if its bsa based then i should have a pair of everything but orange

But in theory wouldn't using your BSA to influence, incubate, or precog once they are teleported onto your scroll change the color back to what again "in theory " they are supposed to be? Unless you are talking about only trading hatchlings, then ignore me lol

Such a brain teaser!

All in all a very clever release so far, I am liking the intrigue! 

I am hoping I will get all but the orange once my eggs hatch. The urge to incubate everything is very hard to resist.. 🤞

Also love the new hybrid so far!! 😍😍

Edited by acm1923

2 hours ago, theBurninated said:

Wait, doesn't this just mean that the colors might be set by the color of the dragon used last?

Theory:

Incubate / red and black Red = red and black hatchling

Precog / red Aeon (with blue highlights) = red and blue hatchling

Teleport / orange Magi ( ? eye color, maybe blue) = orange and blue hatchling

Influence / pink Pink = pink hatchling (maybe default?)

Though this would mean that earthquake, etc wouldn't change anything since none of the hatchlings are the right colors for it (maybe a future release?)

I wish this was the case. This would be the most simple explanation and make the most sense personally.