soullessheartofsteel

What qualifies as "nicely named"?

9 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

I've picked up abandoned eggs only to find they have a messy lineage of dragons having an insulting argument with each other.

7 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

I would keep something like that. Lol

So  would I !

14 hours ago, ValidEmotions said:

How do you gauge this though? If a name doesn't fall under someone else's idea of "nicely named", it doesn't mean the owner hasn't put any care into the dragon or fully thought out what to name it. Using the ATLA reference, it's a very funny name and often used for gags but it can also be perfect for a fan-dragon. I think it's a bit of a sticky thing to judge/assume who you 'feel' is putting care into their dragon(s) going beyond just subjectivity and enters into bias. I'm sure there are plenty who use naming schemes that follow non-English languages that would look like 'button smash' to many not in the know. The point is: you don't know who is or isn't putting care into their dragons and no one has the means of determining that. 

Oh no that's not what I was referring to!

For dragons typically without much care in the names, I was referring to dragons who are unnamed, or whose names are just tags such as 'CB Silver 00001' or '2G Snow SAltxGold01'. Everyone's entitled to do as they please with their dragons, but dragons with names like these tend to throw me off of desiring their offspring. I'm actually rather fond of dragons whose parents have names in other languages, such as a german-themed Gold I was recently gifted. 

53 minutes ago, GalacticSketch said:

Oh no that's not what I was referring to!

For dragons typically without much care in the names, I was referring to dragons who are unnamed, or whose names are just tags such as 'CB Silver 00001' or '2G Snow SAltxGold01'. Everyone's entitled to do as they please with their dragons, but dragons with names like these tend to throw me off of desiring their offspring. I'm actually rather fond of dragons whose parents have names in other languages, such as a german-themed Gold I was recently gifted. 

The foreign named ones give me the dilemma of 'what do those names mean and what can I name the offspring to remind me it came from those parents'?  I've also been fooled by an egg I thought had foreign-named parents, only to find the names were just completely the person's own invention.

ultimately once the dragon/egg is on your scroll you can name it how you want (providing it is not rude or inappropriate or violates site rules)  You can do what you want as well. No one can tell you how you use your scroll. .

Sure, Starscream, but the question related to what people mean when they ask for nicely named in a trade.

I don't particularly care about lineages tbh, I get most of my dragons from the abandoned page, the only thing that kind of squicks me is inbred dragons.

As for nicely named, for me, like I said I don't mind what the parents are called, but for me personally I consider a 'nice name' as a properly capitalised, one-word name. No spaces or other characters (unless it's a two-headed dragon and you name each ''individual head,'' for example, as I do LOL)

What - no two+ word names ?

I have all sorts.

The Ultimately Unexpected.

Dragon on Hot Tin Roof

I was very well looked after

I thought they were great....

That also excludes any kind of "Firstname Lastname" combination, really.

I am sure i have a different idea about nicely named than many other people, and I often wonder if trades will be accepted based on my often random names, like misheard lyrics (There's A Bathroom On The Right), Wacky Packages (Pepto Abysmal), and commercial tag-lines (The Power Of Protein).

I don't do tag names, like CB, but I do do contest names (like Cow Tipping 014 for the Holly Contest), but I usually won't breed those anyway.

I am not opposed to someone asking me to rename a dragon, but being asked that doesn't happen often.

Edited by PrincessLucy

For me, "nicely named" is more of a continuum than a clear-cut category. What I really don't want to get when I ask for "nicely named" parents are:

• unnamed parents with a random code
  • parents with pure tag names (like "CB Pink Dragon 005")
  • names that literally contain the dragon's random code (like "Pretty Name gHuJK")

Then there's a number of criteria that make a nice name for me, but not all of these have to be fulfilled for me to consider a dragon "nicely named". Some dragons are named "super nicely", some just "medium nicely". In general: The more I like the lineage, the fewer criteria a dragon's name needs to fulfill in order for me to accept it as "nicely named". If it's an egg I really want, my standards are generally lower. XD Those "nicely named" criteria, for me, are:

• A nice meaning.
  • A name that just looks or sounds good, even if it is meaningless. That includes foreign names, gibberish names and names using random English words.
  • An interesting meaning. That includes humorous names. If a name is really unique and clever, or just plain funny, I can accept that it fails to fulfill other criteria.
  • There is a theme shared by both names.
  • Proper capitalization
  • No generation tags like "CB" or "2G" or "iii"
  • It fits into a single line
  • The names of both parents have similar length
  • Dragons are not named after their breed

I generally don't have anything against breeder tags as long as they don't look weird. So some examples of dragons I own that have "nicely named" parents to me:

• Aether Istom x Rose of Ages - Names fit into one line and are of similar length. "Aether Istom" does contain the breed name and does not have a meaning really, but it looks nice. "Rose Of Ages" also looks nice, even though the "Of" could be lowercase. No tags. A solid very "nicely named" lineage. (Edit: Haha, that would not have been necessary, Aventurine XD Thanks for breeding the pretty girl! I adjusted the offspring's name accordingly. :P)
  • Faceless Beauty x Unique Sweetness - Very pretty names with a nice meaning, proper capitalization, and no tags. Mother's name does not fit into one line. Apart from that, they fulfill all of my criteria.
  • Ignalu x Eretynal - Seem to be random fantasy names, but look good and match each other. Very "nicely named".
  • Vacad'Don Stellaris Prime x Aislinn Stellaris Prime - Breeder tags, but they fit well into the name. Both span two lines, but due to the breeder tag they match very well. Names are random, pretty looking fantasy names. A solid "nicely named" lineage.
  • Lyhtwoasth cb x Mawarunth cb - Has "cb" tags (also lowercase), but the names themselves are pretty fantasy names with a "-th" theme that I can continue. Very pretty.
  • I fell from heaven x When Skies Fall - Capitalization does not match, but there's the common "falling" theme that I can pick up when naming the offspring. A solid "nicely named" lineage.
  • St-t-t-t-t-aterae x Flaming Whoopse - Father's name contains the breed name, but is funny, and I can build on that when naming their child.

I generally enjoy finding names that somehow fit the parents' names, so if they are interesting in some way or have a common theme, that's a big plus. I also research foreign names and names that look like song lyrics or references to TV shows so that I can find a fitting name for the child.

So, yeah, "nicely named" is very subjective, but don't be too afraid to offer the offspring of your exotic or goofy named dragons - some of the "nicely named" people like me actually enjoy them. :) Also, an interesting name (at least for me) can make up for generation tags and the likes.

Edited by Imago

In my case I mean that I want a name which is readable. If the dragon's name is an unpronounceable string of letters and numbers like "hUyA5GfR" or "CB blk Checker 23" then I'm not going to be interested in it. Basically, is it something you'd name a dog? If not I'm probably not going to want it.

Sometimes I also ask for "short named" dragons, and that's because I want their names to fit on one line so a checker lineage will stay symmetrical.

But in either case, I'm not specifying that to shame anybody else's naming techniques or criticize their offers-- I'm doing it so people know I'm going to be picky and only breed/offer something if they're ok knowing I may decline it. 🙂

On 1/8/2021 at 2:19 PM, Aie said:

Yeah, what is considered 'nicely-named' is very subjective, but unfortunately, the trade hub character limit makes it difficult to be more specific. Some qualities that a person looking for 'nicely-named dragons' might find off-putting include:

• tags like CB or numbers in the name, e.g. "CB Black Dragoness", "Black Dragoness 2G", "Black Dragon CB-f-ACCzU"
  • so-called dog breeder names with a suffix, e.g. "Aie's Black Dragoness"
  • very long names that take up more than one or two lines on the lineage view page
  • lack of proper capitalisation or extra spaces, e.g. "blackdragoness", "BLACK DRAGONESS", "D r a g o n e s s"
  • unnamed dragons, e.g. "(ACCzU)", "(2cAtS)"

There are other things that some might find undesirable, of course, such as humorous names, which I personally don't mind, and there are exceptions as well. A lot of people accept name codes (like Abysa) that are properly capitalised, myself included. Personally, I don't mind extra spaces either, unless they mess up the linebreaks. Some people also prefer lineages and pairs where the dragons' names are of similar length; I do too.

I think it's safe to say that usually, it's less about the meaning of the name and more about the visual appearance of a lineage. At least I haven't had any problems trying to trade offspring from my dragons with names in Finnish, Hungarian or pure gibberish.

I think Aie summarized it best :)

I'm usually not looking for specific names so much as for names that are immersion breaking for me.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:15 AM, Imago said:

[snip]

I generally don't have anything against breeder tags as long as they don't look weird. So some examples of dragons I own that have "nicely named" parents to me:

• Aether Istom x Gust Of Ages - Names fit into one line and are of similar length. "Aether Istom" does contain the breed name and does not have a meaning really, but it looks nice. "Gust Of Ages" also looks nice, even though the "Of" could be lowercase. No tags. A solid "nicely named" lineage.

Awwww, that's one of my babies!  I'm glad it found a home that appreciates it.  :)  I use the breed name or a reference to the breed as a 'surname'  - with Japanese/Chinese Surname-Firstname order - since outside of certain breeds I only have four of each and like to mark them as a clan or family.   It only makes sense that the two breeding pairs of a breed living in my cave must be a group and all know each other; after all, they all hang out on the same place on my scroll.  :)  I like having a little clan of each breed, even if it's not a breed I love enough to build a conga for. 

As a bonus, thank you for spotting that error; I never capitalize the articles, so I'm not sure what happened there, but I switched it to lowercase to match my other "articled" dragons!