TJ09

2020-12-25 - Happy Holidays!

12 minutes ago, Aniia said:

I'm really enjoying the whole event. Forgive me but I dont understand why people are so frustrated with the quick ingredient drops. When the event was originally introduced I think the drop ratio was tweaked because ppl complained they didnt drop fast enough. 

If I'm hunting or w/ever I just ignore the drops, and pick them up later. 

I'm looking forward to building wyrm lineages with the new dragons! I dont think the lights will show up well on the lineage page, so I'm not worried about the BSA effect. 

The ingredient drops get annoying because if you don't pick them up, every single refresh they move around the page, and often end up partially covering something on the page (like the actual game I'm trying to play, or an egg in the AP). It's also just plain distracting, to be concentrating on hunting and suddenly an ingredient pops up when you are trying to concentrate on being the first to click an egg. If the ingredients were more subtle, like at the very bottom of the page (and they didn't keep moving around!), it wouldn't be such a big issue. But they aren't subtle at all.

Edited by HeatherMarie

26 minutes ago, Aniia said:

When the event was originally introduced I think the drop ratio was tweaked because ppl complained they didnt drop fast enough.

As I remember it, the actual problem at the time was that ingredients only needed for a few recipes, like yeast, were dropping at the exact same rate as ingredients you needed for almost everything, like eggs and flour. So I had like 27 yeast and no eggs. Then TJ did a mass drop of eggs and sugar and stuff, which rectified that problem.

Now it's just dropping an ingredient every single minute. I'm kind of flummoxed.

off topic for a second to say that the snow wars music honestly SLAPS dude

27 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

The ingredient drops get annoying because if you don't pick them up, every single refresh they move around the page, and often end up partially covering something on the page (like the actual game I'm trying to play, or an egg in the AP). It's also just plain distracting, to be concentrating on hunting and suddenly an ingredient pops up when you are trying to concentrate on being the first to click an egg. If the ingredients were more subtle, like at the very bottom of the page (and they didn't keep moving around!), it wouldn't be such a big issue. But they aren't subtle at all.

this is EXACTLY why i find it to be so irritating. especially when sometimes it'll move text out of the way to make room for the ingredient (which is SO distracting when the text is moving all around the screen along with an image jumping from corner to corner) , or when, as said already, they obscure something you need to click on (LIKE ON THE ACTIONS PAGE, SO ANNOYING!) 

a simple toggle button would go MILES for this event. the people who want to participate could participte, and those who do not aren't forced to click on the popups to get them to go away, because theyre near impossible to just ignore if you don't want to participate. 

8 minutes ago, Aniia said:

Random question: are we able to influence CB Hollies to be female?

no. all hollies gotten from the cave these days will be male. very few cb female hollies exist.

1 hour ago, tjekan said:

As I remember it, the actual problem at the time was that ingredients only needed for a few recipes, like yeast, were dropping at the exact same rate as ingredients you needed for almost everything, like eggs and flour. So I had like 27 yeast and no eggs. Then TJ did a mass drop of eggs and sugar and stuff, which rectified that problem.

Now it's just dropping an ingredient every single minute. I'm kind of flummoxed.

I keep a kitchen page open all the time, and when I see one on another page, I go there, refresh, grab, and go back to what i was doing.

It's only the frequency that bothers me. I don't mind grabbing something every 10 minutes, but every minute is insane. I feel like the kid in the Sorcerer's Apprentice. My dragons keep bringing back MOAR POULTRY, MOAR POULTRY, MOAR POULTRY!!!! no matter how much I try to get them to stop, LOL!
(I have 29 poultry now. That's not even counting all the roast chicken, meat pies, and other stuff I made out of some of them)

8 hours ago, Aniia said:

@Laura-Borealis I don't think there is, but if i recall correctly at the end of the event the lasting image of your fort will be undamaged.

Thanks! :wub: I think I remember that now. 

1 hour ago, tjekan said:

It's only the frequency that bothers me. I don't mind grabbing something every 10 minutes, but every minute is insane. I feel like the kid in the Sorcerer's Apprentice. My dragons keep bringing back MOAR POULTRY, MOAR POULTRY, MOAR POULTRY!!!! no matter how much I try to get them to stop, LOL!
(I have 29 poultry now. That's not even counting all the roast chicken, meat pies, and other stuff I made out of some of them)

image.png.e62fac5012d37a27a86b6ac9e21eda86.png

LOL. i somehow have even more grains and cocoa beans than even this! 

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I keep a kitchen page open all the time, and when I see one on another page, I go there, refresh, grab, and go back to what i was doing.

This would make a nice compromise for next year. Have the food drop at 1-minute intervals on the kitchen page itself, but normal 10-minute intervals on the rest of the board. That way if you're actively playing you could find more ingredients more quickly, but if you're not, it wouldn't keep bugging you.

Edited by tjekan

Ya'll keep saying how much the ingredient drop is a drag, but if I see a sugar, you better believe your butt, I'm grabbing that baby! I'm no fool, I remember what happened last time! I'm stocking up now in hopes we get a bevy of new recipes for next year!

We haven't gotten any new recipes since the game was introduced. I wouldn't hold my breath about getting any in the future. I'm spending all these dozens of extra ingredients now. I'm making wine, like lots and LOTS of wine. Because it's been a 2020, right?

2 minutes ago, tjekan said:

We haven't gotten any new recipes since the game was introduced. I wouldn't hold my breath about getting any in the future. I'm spending all these dozens of extra ingredients now. I'm making wine, like lots and LOTS of wine. Because it's been a 2020, right?

Damn, that is HARD to argue! xD I should make some wine too, or I'd be bringing great dishonor to my Greek heritage. Opa!

But hey! You never know! There could totally be added recipes! I'd happily submit a number of them for the game. Like I said, Greek... food is the language of my people. So long as no one minds a few Greek inspired dishes for the holidays? Heck, I'd love to see ethnic recipes from other places/cultures too! It adds real flavor to the game! (No pun intended.... sorta.) ;)

I'd love to see some kimchi or tacos, lol! Are we getting badges for participating in the cooking event this year? The little pie is so cute and I just need it on my scroll.

5 hours ago, tjekan said:

I'm trying to have one of every recipe made, plus enough ingredients so that none of them are red in my recipe list. I'm about half way through, and need someting like five lemon curds for the next little section. Waiting for sugar, waiting for sugar, waiting for sugar... suggestions of decreasing the drop frequency worry me. :s :wacko: As it is, I think I'll be able to get them all, but if the rate is decreased, I probably won't. A toggle would by far be preferable to a rate decrease, if the ingredients are a bother to people not using them.

@soullessheartofsteel Well, I got the tree badge for completing the tree through the advent calendar last year, so I'd assume the cooking badge also appears.

Edited by MessengerDragon

@MessengerDragon That we did, as well as all the other activities, but I'm only asking bc usually just opening the activity's page and poking around is enough to earn you the badge, but I've been messing around with the activity for a few days now (and also scrounging desperately for sugar...) and no pie! I'll just be more patient, I'm sure it'll pop up, and even if it doesn't, it'll probably be back for future events.

(And I do agree on adding a toggle instead of reducing the drop rates, since I can definitely see how the ingredients dropping every minute would get annoying if you don't want to participate this year.)

I love the multiethnic recipe ideas! I would really enjoy adding gyros, tacos, kimchi, baklava, pierogies and other cool dishes to the recipe list. I will cross my fingers, but not get my hopes up--the old games seem to really be included as legacies more than ongoing concepts.

Guys, sorry to bother but how do you unlock the pie badge? I've been gathering ingredients & trying the cooking game but no badge so far. :c

@Sinthr Don't worry, I was just asking about it too. I've been playing it with no success at getting the badge, so either something's up with the coding or we're not getting it this year. The wiki page for the event only mentions badges for 2012 participants, aka the OGs, but IIRC the cooking was also available during 2019. I wasn't around for 2019 though.

Did anyone who played in 2019 get the badge for participating?

7 minutes ago, soullessheartofsteel said:

@Sinthr Don't worry, I was just asking about it too. I've been playing it with no success at getting the badge, so either something's up with the coding or we're not getting it this year. The wiki page for the event only mentions badges for 2012 participants, aka the OGs, but IIRC the cooking was also available during 2019. I wasn't around for 2019 though.

Ahhh I see, that makes sense! Thanks for the reply... hope it is / will be made available again one day, it's just too cute. (:

Snow wars is unfortunately unplayable for me, cant even use the points I have to set up a weapon or anything. 😞 It looked so fun,

@MoxleyRTZ Same here! I thought I was the only one who wasn't able to play and that I might have been doing something wrong. Whenever I try to lay down a wall or set up a cannon outside my tent, it seems to not let me put it down-- it's lit up red no matter where I try to place it.

2 hours ago, soullessheartofsteel said:

I played it back in 2019. I did not get the badge. Which is why I assume no one is getting the badge this year, either.

I think only the Christmas tree/wreath/gingerbread events gave you badges because those are something that's saved and can be shown off to others by clicking the badge/sharing the link to yours.

I wish someone would attack my fort. It's only half the fun when I can target other forts but don't receive any damage (yes, I'm an odd person).  :P

I don't think the ingredient drops should be less frequent, having played the minigame before they are definitely necessary. We just shouldn't be forced to see them if we don't want to play for the third time.

Edited because my brain doesn't work.

Edited by MissK.