FortyTwo

Problem with scroll page numbers

I have a special scroll. It's special because my scroll name is a number, which means to access it you have to put user/n/42. Putting user/42 redirects you to the 42nd scroll created on the site. This particular thing has caused many problems over the years, such as breaking Halloween baskets and the Christmas tree decorating contest.

But recently I think there's been a new change that breaks my scroll, or my scroll is bugged. Going to a different scroll page, e.g. user/n/42/5, redirects me to the first page. So now people can't see my dragons.

I would like to show my beautiful dragons to everybody once again...

It's interesting because apparently right now user/42 links to your scroll normally, but everything else is broken and sends me right back to the first page. Perhaps @TJ09 disabled using the scroll ID links and therefore removed the user/n feature? Or it's just a bug, but either way should be looked into. 

Edit: Shockingly I think I was actually right...I found my ID in the source code and seem to be unable to access my scroll through user/91258 even though my scroll isn't hidden. 

Edited by MissK.

Hm. Well when I put in user/42 it takes me to your scroll. When I put in user/n/42, it redirects me to user/42. Still your scroll, though. However, I cannot change the page of your scroll, whether by clicking the page number or the Next button. I can if I'm looking at your groups, but not your actual scroll. Wow. That is a serious bug. :o

Hopefully TJ can fix that for you.

TBH if TJ's removed the user/n/ thing that's great, makes more sense to me since nobody references scrolls by ID anyway. But it's obviously caused a problem with us 'unique' users.

When I search for user/42 I'm brought to your scroll, but I'm also not able to go past the first page of your scroll. The links don't work. 

ETA: I can put user/42/2 to get to page 2, but I can't hit next page or use the dropdown to get to page 2. 

Edited by ADN6

6 hours ago, MissK. said:

Perhaps @TJ09 disabled using the scroll ID links

That's the case for several months already, maybe even a year or so? It was never announced, so it's unknown if it is a bug or a feature.

Loading scrolls by ID has indeed been disabled for a while now, and since that time the /n/ links have been redirecting to remove the unnecessary bit.

It your scroll likely hasn't been broken for that entire time, so I'll take a look and make sure everything is working.

Makes sense. It was a pain telling people to use n/42 anyway haha.

Looks like the page links are fixed now so this can be closed. Thanks for that.

Good to know this will probably be fixed soon.

4 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Loading scrolls by ID has indeed been disabled for a while now, and since that time the /n/ links have been redirecting to remove the unnecessary bit.

Just so you know they have not been redirecting until yesterday or today or something though. I've been checking 42's scroll a lot to send him wishlist stuff of the right genders, and all the links in my history have been the /n/ ones. I often type things manually so I would have noticed if it changed.

Edit: that was fast! 

Edited by MissK.