Sanguivora

Why do some people only want CB/2g/etc dragons?

I hope the title doesn’t come off as rude or doesn’t make sense, I genuinely don’t mean to sound that way. But I am a new player and I have to wonder, why do people only ask for eggs/hatchlings that are CB, 2g, or other requirements when they’re trading? Does it enhance the value of an egg/hatchling in a way?

Personally, I don’t really care whether or not dragons I’m getting offered are CB, so long as if they’re bred they aren’t inbred.

Looks nice/lineage reasons. Or for rare reasons, CB are the most rare but 2g rares can be tough too.

With CBs, you have a blank slate. You can start an even gen or staircase lineage easily; you have many more options for creating the patterns you want. There are messies among my early dragons, and I do love them dearly, but I love the CBs who are the foundations of my lineages too.

And while I never have been a fan of inbreds, there are people who adore them too, and have created some amazing lineages using only inbreds after the initial CB pair.

What the others have said, basically!  For people who are really into breeding intricate patterns, CBs and 2Gs are easier starting points.  (For example, I bred this 5th Gen "checker" lineage from 2Gs I traded for or hunted in the AP!)  Easier as in, it's easier to get them (versus a higher-gen pattern you want, since fewer people are able to breed it) and as in it's easier to work with them (with CBs/2Gs you need several to do a pattern, so if there's a refusal you can shuffle mates around pretty easily).

"Value" depends heavily on the player in DC, because some people focus on the breeding aspect of the game and want to create specific types of lineages (and therefore find CBs more valuable), while others focus on the collecting aspect and amass sprites they like or a certain number of each breed (and therefore don't find CBs more valuable).  There's no wrong way to play!  But it can make for some really interesting (or confusing) jargon and trading priorities.  :)

A lot of users love building lineages, stairsteps and even-gens and pretty checkers and such. I've seen that for some older users especially, after catching all the breeds, one of the things that keeps them coming back to the game is building lineage projects. Which of course requires CBs to start the lineage, or very specific bred dragons to continue a lineage. Not all users care about lineages though, not all users make projects like that or are interested in breeding lineages. It's just one aspect of the game that some people choose to focus on. (And some of us actually like the messy/long lineages that many people don't want!)

Personally, I gathered mostly CBs because they were "clean" and came from the game, without connections to any other players. This was back when the lineage page didn't exist yet, so there weren't any lineages to build. I still gather mostly CBs for my "scroll goals", but nowadays I do really specific lineages that require me to own all the dragons to name them specific ways, while others may like being able to control the lineage so no one suddenly kills a CB that's in a big lineage and ruins it.