anetofstars

help with scroll trade page

I looked at the Help page on the scroll and here on the forum. Where are the rules for using that scroll trade site? Is there a FAQ somewhere that I missed?

Do you mean the "Trading Hub?"

When you create new teleport using public trade, there's a message and warning there :

Describe what you’re offering and/or help others understand what types of offers you are looking for. If creating a public trade, your message should be applicable to many people using the trading hub, not just a specific person.

Warning: Use of trading messages for any purpose except those stated above may result in disciplinary action, such as loss of ability to create public trades. Off-site links are forbidden.

They are pretty much learn by experience stuff - what is it you feel you need to know ? Don't put in any text that has nothing to do with anything; don't ask for anything that cannot be offered by several people (i.e. no asking for a 2 gen SA from a specific SA,or for a dragon you just saw and didn't get - like "Want: 50CX, no other offers" (That's a made up code, I hope...)

It's really not hard as long as you use common sense. If by chance you get a warning, I would contact a mod and ask why before you post another trade, though. I haven't copped one yet, but I am told they don't tell you what you did, so safety first.

If you mean are there rules about what it's OK to ask for, about value and stuff - no; just see what you are offered !

One thing that apparently trips some people up is that you can't ask for any specific egg, even if it went to the AP and anyone could have picked it up.

You are allowed to say things like "I want a mate for a dragon in group/12345678" (and then someone can type dragcave.net/group/12345678 to view the group), but you should avoid referring to other sites (even the forums), and definitely don't post links to them.

(Most people who say that turn out to have a bunch of checkers, often holiday or prize checkers, and are trying to get mates for them.  Other uses ought to also be okay.)

One thing that apparently tripped someone up is that they offered a reward for anyone who returned a particular auto-abandoned egg, figuring that anyone could go look for it.  But the moderators considered that it only applied to the person who actually ended up picking up the egg, so they got slapped with some consequences (I forget whether it was a warning, a temp ban, or what) for making a trade that would only be useful to one person.

I think it should be perfectly fine to request things like 2G prizes (there are a bunch of people with raffle prizes, although there are a whole bunch more people who don't have any), a higher-gen (3G, 4G, etc) descendant of a particular dragon (assuming that the original dragon's owner has bred them a bunch of times so there are several different people who would be able to breed what you actually want), a CB gold / silver / mint / new release (from X date, with a code that looks kind of like "brick", etc), or even things that nobody has (but you have no way of knowing that nobody has them, and anyone could make one) like "a lyrical lineage I don't already have (my collection is group/12345678)" if you are an avid lyrical lineage collector.

I would generally recommend making sure your request makes sense, though.  So you can't get a new release dragon from a day before it was released, you can't get a holiday dragon before their breeding season (it might be okay to post in advance, something like "posting the night before, will check in about 8 hours" but I'm not sure) or more than 2 weeks after their breeding season (most of them will grow up before 2 weeks pass, though), a CB hybrid, a dragon from the market, or anything like that.  :D

I hope this makes sense, although I fear it resembles a wall of rambling text.

Imo the biggest thing to remember about the trading hub is that it's a 'public' trading spot, and should be treated as such. All the details about the want box rules, like not addressing a specific person and such, are (imo) easier to understand if you understand how the hub actually functions. It's basically like a farmer's market for dragons, you put something out there with a general request of what you want in return and hopefully someone will be interested and offer. It's not a place to communicate specifically to one user, or to ask for a one-of-a-kind egg (like auto-abandons or a CB code you saw and missed).

Don't be too worried about stuff like value or wondering what something you have might be worth, that stuff is very subjective and many of us will happily offer 'more valuable' things for something we personally find appealing. Experience will eventually give you an idea of what will and won't be easily offered on, but it will vary. 

21 minutes ago, Pilauli said:

I would generally recommend making sure your request makes sense, though.  So you can't get a new release dragon from a day before it was released, you can't get a holiday dragon before their breeding season (it might be okay to post in advance, something like "posting the night before, will check in about 8 hours" but I'm not sure) or more than 2 weeks after their breeding season (most of them will grow up before 2 weeks pass, though), a CB hybrid, a dragon from the market, or anything like that.  :D

This is something I wish was more easily accessible to users as a whole, the general idea of what is and isn't *possible* to get. I've seen people asking for holidays months out of season, possibly not realizing they aren't available (they are, after all, still in the drop-down filter box year-round...). Or the opposite gender of a one-gender holiday breed.