BlueLatios

Lineage Page Options

The basic idea is that lineage view can be changed in the two ways it can change:

Flip vertically, where the female dragons are on top with the male dragons below, and

Flip horizontally, where the highest generation is on the right and descending generations go to the left.

If I may add, may as well suggest that the lineage tree can be rotated so it shows from top to bottom.

I'm supporting this idea for dragon sprite reasons as well as combinations of code dragons for code collectors, the secondary reason being preferences for various people, though the downside is that you can have one checker of two dragons without dimorphism and view both male x female and female x male variations depending on your scroll settings. What do you think?

I'm not quite sure I understand.

If you're suggesting that each person should be able to choose their preferred viewing format for everyone's lineages, like how each person can choose how many dragons per page to see on everyone's scrolls, then I can't see how it would be useful.  If you found a lineage that you thought might look more interesting the other side up, you would have to go change your profile settings.

If you're suggesting that the owner of a dragon ought to be able to go to its lineage page and tick a box that says "display this dragon's lineage with males and females inverted", that might be kind of neat.  I don't think it's a thing Dragon Cave needs, but it might be kind of neat.

5 hours ago, BlueLatios said:

If I may add, may as well suggest that the lineage tree can be rotated so it shows from top to bottom.

This is the only one I can actually see a reason for.

And that's actually only because that's how I set up my own lineages in my files !

Though I must say that a horizontal layout with the base generation on the left makes more sense to me - that's the way we - most of us - read. Left to right.

I can't see any point to putting females on top.

1 hour ago, Pilauli said:

If you're suggesting that the owner of a dragon ought to be able to go to its lineage page and tick a box that says "display this dragon's lineage with males and females inverted", that might be kind of neat.  I don't think it's a thing Dragon Cave needs, but it might be kind of neat.

That's what I initially wanted to suggest, yes. To be honest, I rarely visit the Suggestions Forums and I do not know if it has to be something big that a majority of players need, or small quality-of-life tweaks and features are also welcome in this subforums.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:
6 hours ago, BlueLatios said:

This is the only one I can actually see a reason for.

To add another reason, when writing this suggestion, I was reminded of a lineage where one CB dragon had a name that spans three lines and the other dragons unnamed, and it may be just my sense of "this is not symmetrical and it feels odd", but rotating the lineage tree to become similar to a tree, I think, would solve that issue somewhat.

I don't see that ANY option would correct that....

i like how streamline the view on lineages is now, if you give each player or even tick an option to view each dragon's lineage differently independently, it might just get messy. i personally like it the way it is because everything is already formatted in a way that is very easy to read and the same for everyone. even if it were just based off of individual preference, i still think its just a bit odd.

Not so sure about this... This would, imo, make 'lineage-making' a whole lot more difficult and maybe even impossible? If anyone at anytime could just flip a switch and have their dragon's lineage show completely differently, that would also mean that any children/grandchildren/etc of that dragon would have their lineage changed too, even if those dragons aren't on that person's scroll? Or am I completely misunderstanding? 

If this was a settings thing that *only* affected how the user in question viewed dragon lineages when logged in, while I don't really see a need for it I don't see the harm either. 

Unless it's a toggle in settings that can't be changed without changing the account setting, I feel like this might get needlessly confusing very fast. I often rely on knowing that the top dragon is male and the bottom one is female for fast influencing reasons, so I don't think I'd use this regardless, but I can see the reasoning.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

If anyone at anytime could just flip a switch and have their dragon's lineage show completely differently, that would also mean that any children/grandchildren/etc of that dragon would have their lineage changed too, even if those dragons aren't on that person's scroll? Or am I completely misunderstanding? 

That is a truly frightening thought! I hope that is not the intention here. If it is, I am adamantly against it. Otherwise, I am indifferent.

11 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Though I must say that a horizontal layout with the base generation on the left makes more sense to me - that's the way we - most of us - read. Left to right.

It would be useful for lyrical lineages too

On the one hand - I could see something like this allowing for new lineage "shapes" or better displays of lyrical lineages.

On the other hand - depending on how this is implemented could cause issues with displays (ex. I have lineage display set to default *current* while someone else has theirs set to 'tree' *so from top to bottom* - thus when viewing lineages meant to be viewed as 'tree' - they appear odd)

TL/DR: Could be useful if added, but no big deal if it isn't 

On 11/21/2020 at 3:52 AM, HeatherMarie said:

...If anyone at anytime could just flip a switch and have their dragon's lineage show completely differently, that would also mean that any children/grandchildren/etc of that dragon would have their lineage changed too, even if those dragons aren't on that person's scroll? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

That is a scary thought but if that was the suggestion, I'd be against it as well XD

I meant on options is something that the user can change and it only affects the user, not anyone else's lineage preview in any way.

And yes, more freedom to lineage building and lineage shapes!

Ah, okay- then I'd be willing for something like this to be added! A vertical lineage toggle would be neat :) And probably easier for mobile users to navigate!

Unless I'm misunderstanding the suggestion, I do see one potential problem. Right now some lineages are designed to look a certain way based on how the site already displays them. For instance, my lineages are always organized with right to left and top down reading, and I do a lot of lyrical lineages. If I'm trading an egg from that lineage, and the other user has their display set different, that could totally scramble and misrepresent the end effect of all the work put into said lineage, and might devalue the egg for trade...

If we're talking about just flipping the page vertically so a lineage with lyrics can be read left to right, that's kind of cool, though it would take getting used to, to see the egg on the far right. But I don't think doing the male/female inversion is a good idea necessarily, since that will mess with naming themes in lineages, as well as certain lineage shapes.

I don't see a need for the change but I'm not against it, with the exception of what I stated above.