cyradis4

Add links to Groups a dragon is in to Profile Page

Or... Somewhere. Maybe next to "Add to Group" could be "View Groups" or something. Or instead of "Add to Group", maybe it could link to a page where you could add and remove groups as well as jump to them. 

I'm trying to sort various lineage dragons, and its taking a lot longer than it should because I have no way to find the groups the dragon is in other than lots of scrolling. And I can't jump back to that group, I have to navigate to it first then find that particular group, which takes time. When you are trying to sort dozens of dragons, it adds up to a lot of time.

I'm using groups as scroll sorting, because its the only reasonable option when you have more than 11,000 dragons. 

Cheers!

C4. 

*ahem* YES PLEASE! 

I've always found it very frustrating that it's so hard to actually *get* to a group even when you are *adding* a dragon to that group. It seems strange to me that you can go to a dragon's view-page and add it to a specific group right there, but then to actually *go* to that group you have to navigate all the way to 'account' and then the groups list before finally clicking that specific group. Also I have mentioned in the past wanting to have an easier way to just see what groups a dragon is actually in... Especially when you have a lot of groups it becomes fairly difficult to scroll through that 'add to groups' list and see exactly what groups the dragon is in, I've had to scroll up and down in that list multiple times trying to see what groups I'd already put the dragon in. It's strange that you can see a full group (on the group's own page) and all the dragons in it, you can add dragons to groups from their view page, but there is no way to easily tell which groups a dragon is in. I would love some sort of 'view groups', like a simple list of what groups the dragon in is with links to each of those groups.

Support for a more user-friendly means of navigating/sorting groups. I put off using the feature for a long time because it is very difficult to get started with that organizational element when you're starting with 1000+ dragons.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

I would love some sort of 'view groups', like a simple list of what groups the dragon in is with links to each of those groups.

Agreed. While I don't have so many groups that I have trouble using the "add to group" dropdown to find out what groups a dragon is in, it is frustrating to then not be able to easily get to one of those groups from the dragon's page. A separate list of all the groups a dragon is already in, with links, would be marvelous.

Support from me. I don't have as many groups as others, but it is a lot of time spent scrolling, only to misclick and not notice for months.

Yes please!

It could be displayed like the list of offspring: when the dragon is only in a few groups, they could all be on the view page, and when there are too many, there could instead be a link to an extra page (just like the "progeny" page).

Some thoughts about visibility:

I imagine it would be easiest if the group list was only visible to the dragon's owner, and that alone would already be very useful.

However, it could also be interesting to have (non-private) groups visible to visitors. Then we could provide some information about a dragon by adding it to groups such as "available for breeding requests", "life-mated", or "looking for mate". I think then we would need an additional type of groups, because we might have some groups that must be set to public because we want to let some people see them, but we might not want them to appear on a dragon's view page. So there would be "Private", "Public via link" (currently just "Public", not to be listed on view page), something like "Totally public" (new type, accessible via link AND listed on view page), and "Highlighted" (also listed on view page). So the existing public groups would NOT suddenly appear on the view page - only if the owner actively sets them to "Totally public" (which should have a better name of course).

Of course the dragon's owner would always see all the groups the dragon belongs to.

Edit: I think this has been suggested before? Will go looking for the thread...

Edit2, this suggestion is also asking to be able to go to a group that the dragon belongs to directly from the view page:

Edit3: More...

Edit4 (OK I will stop adding things after this!)

It seems TJ would call the current public setting "soft public", so the new one would be "hard public"?

https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/179378-display-groups-on-dragons-page/?tab=comments#comment-9501698

(And I disagree about "showing the group on dragons pages isn't a big enough use case". At least four suggestion topics say otherwise. :D )

Edited by Confused Cat

Hahaha yes, 4 suggestions does mean that there's a lot of people out there who want it! 

I'm not sure what TJ means by that, but I want to be able to see the groups for my purposes, and general site navigation. Also be able to add and move dragons in and out of groups. Right now.... its terrible! 

Thank you for digging up the links!

C4. 

....many month pass....

i totally support this!!  this was something i'd been thinking about, as there's another creature site i'm on that already does this, and it's really helpful!

(as an aside, when you go to a creature's page on that site (much like the Encyclopedia on DC), that page will tell you how many of each creature you have (adult m, f,, frozen m, f hatchies, even frozen eggs cause that's a thing on that site), and which tab(s) (group(s)) you have them in.)

Yes please! This would be very helpful!

As far as visibility goes, I think it would be best if we could choose visible/not visible for each group.

I support !

I never really used the groups because I find it unpractical, so I would love the kind of option. 😊