w0rmg0d

Spend shards on one-time actions

I think would be cool to have an alternative use for all those shards we collect, and I think a cool use for them would be one-time actions, which in lore might be labeled as potions or spells.

Why: I don't particularly care for buying eggs over hunting/trading for CBs, and based on the way rare CBs are coveted, others seem to agree. (No shame to anyone who does prefer the market! Only saying that it doesn't fit everyone's playstyles.) So I have a lot of shards, and currently nothing to do with them.

Example: Instead of using an Aeon to Precognition, we could go to the market and spend 1000 shards (or whatever the price would be) on a Precognition Potion (or whatever it would be called). 

This could be used for modified versions of non-BSA actions as well, eg. Kill or Resurrect, but with a higher chance of working than the normal actions. Or maybe allowing actions like Freeze after you're out of slots. Idk, all kinds of things could be done with this.

I would be 100% for this. Once I bought myself some market golds and silvers, I basically had nothing else I wanted to do with them. It's an alternative that's optional.

I honestly think that's a pretty good idea, I can't see why not.  I don't think it would give an unfair advantage to anyone since the in-game currency is literally just earned by playing.  If anything it would give newer players without many BSA dragons a nice leg up. (-:

I'm all for this! I don't use my shards either so this would give them some use for sure. I wouldn't use it on BSAs like precog, I'd just, use an Aeon. But for other actions I would.

I *know* this has been talked about before but I couldn't find a specific thread, possibly it was within the original Market Feedback thread. Definite support for just more uses for shards in general, buying different 'actions' could be helpful. I personally wouldn't waste huge amounts of shards on something a semi-common dragon can do, but it would be really cool if you could buy a one-time higher chance at a chance-governed action like Kill. Other 'potion'-type ideas I've seen before include things like a better chance at breeding a specific breed out of a pairing (ie, you breed breeds A and B and have a better chance at getting A), a temporary boost in growth-ability for growing things (needing lower views to hatch/etc), a one-time refusal-reverse for breeding, etc. Little things that have limited use/need but some people would be happy to spend shards on. 

I would say as long as it is limited to the non-harmful BSAs (so not earthquake or bite) I don't see the harm in it.

On the same note, I I know a lot of players who would have enough shards to use the actions also probably have a lot of the dragons that do said actions.

TL/DR: if this is added, great. If not, not a huge deal

1 hour ago, ShorahNagi said:

I would say as long as it is limited to the non-harmful BSAs (so not earthquake or bite) I don't see the harm in it.

Why would that be a problem any more than those BSAs currently existing do? I'm not arguing, just trying to understand.

4 hours ago, w0rmg0d said:

Why would that be a problem any more than those BSAs currently existing do? I'm not arguing, just trying to understand.

Mostly to protect newer players who might not understand fully those BSAs and pay shards only to end up with dead eggs (or a lost egg in the case of a vampire rejection).

Plus. In the case of bite, that brings up the problem of would a dragon egg converted by a shard-bought bite have a "bitten by: X" note or would it just be a vampire egg (be it CB or lineaged)

18 hours ago, w0rmg0d said:

Example: Instead of using an Aeon to Precognition, we could go to the market and spend 1000 shards (or whatever the price would be) on a Precognition Potion (or whatever it would be called). 

YES. THIS ESPECIALLY. Sorry for shouting, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title. XD Great idea!

+1 Support for this. I don't tend to run out of BSAs but this would be useful in the event that I did.

1 hour ago, pinkgothic said:

YES. THIS ESPECIALLY. Sorry for shouting, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title. XD Great idea!

XD You must run out of Aeons as often as I do.

I am still using my shards for the foreseeable future to buy dragons that I have been unable to catch, but at some point, when I have all I want I would love to be able to use my shards for something like this.

Yah this would be useful. Although I think the cost for a BSA should be lower than the cost for the dragon that does said BSA, because you're getting it once versus getting a renewable version.

I support this since just about anyone can run out of BSAs in specific periods like Halloween, but I think 1000 is ridiculous given you only get 100 shards in a week. Maybe 100 for anything with a cooldown with 1 week or under, 200 for 2-week cooldowns, etc. or double it if it must cost more, with a small premium for scroll actions like kill or freeze. I expect just about all applicable BSAs will be needed more than once per batch of eggs, so buyers would have to spend hundreds once they run out anyway.

Edited by Shadowdrake

15 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

I support this since just about anyone can run out of BSAs in specific periods like Halloween, but I think 1000 is ridiculous given you only get 100 shards in a week. Maybe 100 for anything with a cooldown with 1 week or under, 200 for 2-week cooldowns, etc. or double it if it must cost more, with a small premium for scroll actions like kill or freeze. I expect just about all applicable BSAs will be needed more than once per batch of eggs, so buyers would have to spend hundreds once they run out anyway.

Hah, I knew I forgot to say something. Yes, totally agreed. I honestly think something like 10 shards would be sufficient for a single-use item that does Precognition. Here's looking at you, Halloween. I think I probably could've used up something like... 500 shards at that price. Easily. XD And that's after I used up my small army of Aeons.

Edited by pinkgothic

I think 1000 was an arbitrary number, but it is important to point out that the cost of a one-time BSA should definitely be less than the dragon itself. Also, having EQ is fine as an option in my opinion, but bite would be confusing with "Bitten by: x" and all. And also I don't think anything relating to the summon BSAs for trios and zyus should be part of this. Most BSAs should be fine, though.

6 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

Plus. In the case of bite, that brings up the problem of would a dragon egg converted by a shard-bought bite have a "bitten by: X" note or would it just be a vampire egg (be it CB or lineaged)

Actually, yes please to this exactly. No bitten by? I'd pay extra! see the return CB vampires thread

I'm torn between 'single use bsa should cost a fraction of the dragon' and 'using an action you dont have a dragon for is worth more' I mean I'd prefer the former but I can see the argument for the latter.

Shards for extra freezes would be great for those times when you miscounted your freezes and you have to either abandon something or let it grow. 

7 minutes ago, Tinibree said:

I'm torn between 'single use bsa should cost a fraction of the dragon' and 'using an action you dont have a dragon for is worth more' I mean I'd prefer the former but I can see the argument for the latter.

What if the use cost was identical to the Market price - for example, it's currently 700 shards for a red, so it would cost 700 for an incubate (seems a bit steep though, so I'd argue for the BSA to cost maybe half the market price [so 350 for shard-incubate])

Neutral to this with no reason to be against, so consider it support.

One argument that paying shards for the BSA should cost as much as or more than the dragon would be that this way, you can use the dragon without needing to spend scroll-space and time on raising it.

However, I don't believe my own argument.

I might use this feature if it were cheap enough, but if not, won't care one way or the other.

I don't think I'd use this feature if it cost the same or more than the dragon itself. I do like the concept, though, and I think at a reasonable price it would be a great idea for use during holidays and such.

Yeahhhh if it's gonna cost the same as the dragon said user might as well, you know, buy the dragon beforehand. Plus, I'd rather they stay a fixed price instead of being subject to the whims of the market.

I feel like having a constant drain on your shards to use the Market BSAs over a dragon is enough given that there are dragons that take, what, a year of maxing out shards every week without spending? 50-100 is plenty for something like incubate, IMO.

For harmful BSAs, if the concern is new players not realizing the risks, a Bronze trophy requirement and very clear warnings should more than suffice. For Bite, specifically, I feel like having it be a way to get "true CB" vampires would be fine.

4 hours ago, Keileon said:

Neutral to this with no reason to be against, so consider it support.

This - I can't see myself using it, but if others want it...

Probably not something I’d ever need/use, but I think it’s a great idea for those who don’t want to buy armed eggs, or need a BSA and have suddenly run out. So wholeheartedly for it.

18 hours ago, Guillotine said:

For Bite, specifically, I feel like having it be a way to get "true CB" vampires would be fine.

That could actually be very convenient.

Overall, a huge support to this suggestion since I personally have no reason to ever buy eggs from the market (every single breed that I'm interested in can't be bought there) and with the shards providing the functions of BSAs, I'd feel at least a bit less obligated to hoard the breeds that I don't care about, but that are near-mandatory with how useful they are.

Also sellable kill action could assist with creating zombies which are notoriously tedious to get, which is a huge positive in my eyes. I really don't see many negatives with implementing this.