Ruffledfeathers

Have Hatchlings Automatically Show Up In The AP At 4 Days 1 Hour

So many hatchies are growing wild :(

Can we please just have them pop up in the AP just before they grow up, even if the AP time is low? No doubt theyd immediately be grabbed. 

Even if it was just 1 line where they could come up. 

In Holiday walls, holiday hatches at this time could default to the front.

tbh i feel like eggs and hatchlings should just not hatch/mature unless they're on a scroll.

You always see people messing with Thuweds by putting them in hatcheries so they'll grow up wild before they ever reach the front of the AP, even without things like event walls forcing normal breeds to the back.

3 hours ago, Stromboli said:

tbh i feel like eggs and hatchlings should just not hatch/mature unless they're on a scroll.

This. Eggs hatching is fine in my opinion, but I don't think hatchies should mature in the AP.

+1 support for this. Even if it's just the hatchies not maturing. Because eggs would just turn into hatchies lol.

I would 100% support hatchlings not growing up wild in the AP; I feel like it's way more likely for hatchlings to be grabbed no matter where they are on time. 

6 hours ago, Stromboli said:

You always see people messing with Thuweds by putting them in hatcheries so they'll grow up wild before they ever reach the front of the AP, even without things like event walls forcing normal breeds to the back.

Someone also put alll of odeens kids in hatcheries, and she only bred a few. Only a few of them survived to the hatchie wall. 

And we just had like 50 NDs grow wild. 100% support no growing hatchies in the ap. Eggs hatching is fine and honestly preferred for some things. (I tried and failed to save some pb metals lost behind the holiday wall rip, also the previously mentioned NDs were done in the ap, I absolutely want that to happen again.)

Edited by Tinibree

Full support. I don't mind eggs hatching in the AP, but hatchlings absolutely should not mature unless on a scroll.

This would be great, especially since it could also prevent the sad "hatchie is taken from the AP and then still somehow grows up wild" thing that happened during the Halloween event.

13 hours ago, Tinibree said:

And we just had like 50 NDs grow wild. 100% support no growing hatchies in the ap.

Thats exactly why I put this thread up; as well as the Halloweens. Whether they physically dont grow up in the wild, or pop up to the front, I am happy as they both stop the issue at hand. 

Definitely. People throwing SAlts and Thuweds into hatcheries to make them grow wild is disappointing. There's also often no way to remove them from the sites if they're not on your scroll, so people can't even counter these efforts. And yeah, there were 76? NDs made as part of a mass-exp and even with a bunch of people shovelling eggs, only around 15 of them made it through. It was pretty disappointing. 

I'm also fine with both solutions proposed.

I could be wrong, but I remember at some point we had hatchies appear in AP for people to grab, no matter the time left for them. I don't know what caused the change, since I left DC for years.

@love_HP I feel like you are correct (though it has been so long since then that I'm not 100% sure, or if I'm just thinking of stray holiday hatchlings), and I have an idea of why they appeared at the top. If the AP were sorted by the "Laid on" or "Stolen on" date instead of time left to live, then hatchlings would almost always sort to the top because a 7d 0h hatchling is always*** going to be at least two days older than a 7d 0h egg. I wonder if it would be possible to sort AP things that way instead?

***(Unless the hatchling were hatched early with the Kill or Earthquake actions, in which case there could be less than a two day difference, but those would be rare exceptions.)

If it is possible, then even if the AP slipped down to 2d 1h, hatchlings would still appear before hitting 4d 0h. (Assuming that the hatchling were hatched with incubate. Without Incubate, the AP could safely drop to 1d 1h for hatchlings to show before growing. If the hatchling had 3d 0h or less before hatching, then it would always show before AP eggs.)

Edit: Oh, I did forget one important problem this would cause... If a hatchling hatched late, it would appear before 0d 1h after holiday walls end. :s

Edited by 11th

+1

I don't mind eggs hatching in the AP, but hatchlings being able to grow up wild in the AP is a problem

On 11/11/2020 at 3:07 AM, aegagrusScholarship said:

People throwing SAlts and Thuweds into hatcheries to make them grow wild is disappointing.

I honestly dont know why people do that with such valuable dragons. They must be fun at parties. It would be very nice to take that malicious ability away from them. 

On 11/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, 11th said:

I feel like you are correct (though it has been so long since then that I'm not 100% sure, or if I'm just thinking of stray holiday hatchlings), and I have an idea of why they appeared at the top. If the AP were sorted by the "Laid on" or "Stolen on" date instead of time left to live, then hatchlings would almost always sort to the top because a 7d 0h hatchling is always*** going to be at least two days older than a 7d 0h egg. I wonder if it would be possible to sort AP things that way instead?

It is a good idea. I wonder if it would work if you had it sort by both ‘Time Left’ and ‘Laid On Date’. 

Alternatively; have a slight differentiation between hatchlings and eggs in that eggs are sorted by Laid On date, and hatchlings are sorted by Hatched date. Idk how capable coding is to do this, though. 

For this to work well, as many of you have suggested, hatchlings should be incapable of growing wild/can only grow up seconds before death.

But eggs may hatch; because having AP hatchlings is incredibly helpful in clearing Holiday walls and saving walled eggs. As agreed here.

I dont think low time hatchlings will easily clog the cave, but I would be wary of having all hatchies at 7 days automatically pop up encase they threaten to wall, creating a new problem i.e. eggs dying. I could be wrong, though, but some people can be pretty…determined.

Once again I am suggesting that hatchies cannot grow up in the AP! Egg hatching is fine, as your not losing much (other than potential for influ which is lost sometimes around holidays/walls anyway). It is a bit of a waste, really. 

On 11/8/2020 at 7:53 AM, Stromboli said:

This always upsets me whenever I see my beautiful holiday dragon offspring as wild dragons , and it is such a waste. I don't understand why anyone throws eggs in a hatchery then re-abandons them. Such a loss. :(

Total support!

2 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

I don't understand why anyone throws eggs in a hatchery then re-abandons them.

I see people talking about doing this all the time, thinking they are helping.

Total support for having them show up on the AP before they grow up so they don't end up wild.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:59 PM, Babbage said:

+1

I don't mind eggs hatching in the AP, but hatchlings being able to grow up wild in the AP is a problem

Not sure if I replied to this thread or not, but these are my thoughts as well.

5 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

I don't understand why anyone throws eggs in a hatchery then re-abandons them.

Well, the other option is no one picks enough of them up in time and a portion of october 31 eggs literally just die after the AP ticks low enough. Last year we ended up with eggs with barely over 1 day of time left, and that was with the frantic shoveling of everyone trying to get back the regular eggs. People probably don't have enough space for the thousands and thousands of holidays bred without the time extension from hatching them and keeping the AP time up.

I'm still trying to catch as many Halloween dragons as possible, but I'm scroll-locked and seeing beautiful dragons just being dumped in the wilderness is heartbreaking.

We really need the higher trophy levels with this many available eggs on the site. 

1 minute ago, dragongrrl said:

We really need the higher trophy levels with this many available eggs on the site. 

Failing that, extra slots in Holiday seasons XD

It is a massive bummer to see so much potential wasted by growing wild. Even I forgot it would take an age for hatchies to show 😕 Occasional one does crop up though.

Regarding solution, I would guess a ‘cannot grow in the wild’ option is best. Or at least only grows up at 0 days, I guess lore wise being alone means it takes a lot longer to grow as you must fend for yourself. 

I know some will grab ‘unwanted’ hatches and be annoyed when they insta grow. However this is better than it 100% going to waste.

30 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Well, the other option is no one picks enough of them up in time and a portion of october 31 eggs literally just die after the AP ticks low enough. Last year we ended up with eggs with barely over 1 day of time left, and that was with the frantic shoveling of everyone trying to get back the regular eggs. People probably don't have enough space for the thousands and thousands of holidays bred without the time extension from hatching them and keeping the AP time up.

..... Is this actually a concern? When the holiday eggs completely blocked the AP, there was legitimate concern over regular-eggs dying behind the holiday-wall, but we now have 1 row of regular-eggs at all times. While the time is getting relatively low, it's only barely dipped below 2 days.  Eggs with dangerously-low time *will* show up in the AP now, regardless of 'frantic shoveling' or not. I would think it's worse to hatch and re-abandon at these times, because while super-low-time eggs *will* be shown those hatchies pose a real danger of growing up before they are anywhere close to the AP-showing time. 

So yeah, I totally support anything that lessens the chance of tons of hatchlings growing up wild just because the 'grow up' time is so much higher than the 'showing in AP' time.  (I *think* I remember long ago hatchies used to always show first in the AP when abandoned, but I could be misremembering that.)